Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2005646 - 12/28/12 03:30 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I'm so thankful you are here to police and censor us! Keep up the good work.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2005799 - 12/28/12 10:11 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Turandot, +1....This may be the first time I have completely agreed with one of your post. Clearly stated and on point. Thank you.

For those who haven't met Lang Lang; he is a very warm and charitable man. Don't judge his musicianship by a few flashy performances posted on Youtube.

Back to Valentina Lisitsa. I'm picking up the Rachmaninoff set this coming weekend. A hard copy for the car. Thanks.

#2005867 - 12/29/12 02:03 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: Chopinlover49]
turandot Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: torrance, CA
Thanks once again to all who have posted to the topic of the thread.

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
I I didn't know anything about this, and wonder if anyone else has any interesting information like this about other piano artists, etc. I really would like to know more.

I've been thinking about that. I'd like to know too. I'm no piano performance historian at all, but it seems to me that classical piano music hasn't been as successful as opera or dance in freshening its image while holding onto all that is good about the past. Take the Three Tenors phenomenon for example. They transformed opera haters into opera lovers without any loss of self-respect or disrespect for the music. And they had fun doing it. That's important.

Most classical pianists seen and heard on youtube don't upload their own stuff, and definitely don't add a note asking their fans to be the first to own their product for sale. I'm sure it's scandalous for some. Even fraternizing professionally in performance with artists of other musical genres (Friedrich Gulda, Emmanuel Ax, etc.) can get an artist into hot water with the establishment.

IMO Lisitsa's position at present with regard to youtube and social media most closely parallels the position of the symphonic and operatic composer Richard Strauss when in 1904 he brought the entire music establishment down on his head by giving two concerts in Wanamaker's (now Macy's) Department store in NYC. Critics on both sides of the Atlantic wrote that he had cheapened classical music by performing it in a place of commerce. This isn't much different from how old-guard critics pan Lisitsa today. The difference is that in Strauss's day, critics were kingmakers with tremendous power to make or ruin careers. Today it's completely different. With so much content on demand and most of it free, any individual can educate his own ears and come to his own judgment -- professional critics be damned.

Strauss's response to the lambasting he absorbed was to say: "True art enables any hall, and earning money in a decent way for wife and child is no disgrace - even for an artist." I think Lisitsa would see things pretty much the same way. She is not to blame that pianists who can barely play have their own youtube channels. She simply wants to reach as many folks as she can and let them make up their own minds.

#2005870 - 12/29/12 02:34 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
turandot,

I have no quarrel with what Lisitsa is doing to advance her career through unconventional means. I just wish I found her musicianship more compelling. As far as I have seen and heard so far, she is within the pack of competent professional musicians but nothing special, and the attention she has garnered seems out of proportion to her actual accomplishments, imo.

#2005885 - 12/29/12 04:59 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Moscow, ID
Originally Posted By: turandot
and earning money in a decent way for wife and child is no disgrace - even for an artist.

T,
I think I've said this a time or two about selling pianos. grin

BC

“I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right.” - Duke Ellington

#2005892 - 12/29/12 05:14 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: sophial]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Moscow, ID
Originally Posted By: sophial
turandot,

I have no quarrel with what Lisitsa is doing to advance her career through unconventional means. I just wish I found her musicianship more compelling. As far as I have seen and heard so far, she is within the pack of competent professional musicians but nothing special, and the attention she has garnered seems out of proportion to her actual accomplishments, imo.

Sophial,

While I understand your sentiment, I do think that "competent professional" understates Ms. Lisitsa's talent by quite a margin. Nevertheless, I think you hit on the obvious point that the music biz is the music biz and that talent is only one piece of the "international performing career puzzle". The trouble is that in today's world, the ground game of classical music promotion is changing quickly and we all struggle to find the balance between making ourselves available and playing hard to get.

As to the proportionality of attention to talent issue, I think we can all breath a deep sigh of relief in knowing that in this case, the issue is not one of Lady GaGa proportions... grin

“I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right.” - Duke Ellington

#2005968 - 12/29/12 10:55 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have a feeling that the limited demand in the US for new classical piano cds has driven the music companies to manipulate the public's concept of who the most talented pianists in the world are. If they have a large catalog of one artist and can recycle it in various formats endlessly, they have no urgency to introduce new artists. On the other hand, if sales on these items drop significantly, they suddenly discover a new, wonderful, artist who is rewriting the rules of music with his/her magnificent interpretations. I feel for the artist who must find a way to distinguish himself/herself in this environment. It used to be that a pianist had to win a major competition to prove his worth. That was a slippery slope, but at least we heard of some new artists once in a while. Now that doesn't seem to be enough. Maybe YouTube is the way. I just want classical music to flourish and for more people to find the joy that I find in this magical gift. We may need more people like Valentina to open the eyes of the music-buying public. Good luck to them all.

#2006028 - 12/29/12 12:57 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: Beacon Chris]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Beacon Chris
turandot,

Sophial,

While I understand your sentiment, I do think that "competent professional" understates Ms. Lisitsa's talent by quite a margin. Nevertheless, I think you hit on the obvious point that the music biz is the music biz and that talent is only one piece of the "international performing career puzzle". The trouble is that in today's world, the ground game of classical music promotion is changing quickly and we all struggle to find the balance between making ourselves available and playing hard to get.

As to the proportionality of attention to talent issue, I think we can all breath a deep sigh of relief in knowing that in this case, the issue is not one of Lady GaGa proportions... grin

Indeed, but I put her in the same category as an Andrea Bocelli who has had popular and commercial more than critical success. For an upcoming star with real artistry and musicianship, I'd give the nod to someone like Benjamin Grosvenor. I'd listen to him any time rather than Lisitsa.

Edited by sophial (12/29/12 01:00 PM)
Edit Reason: edited to corrrect reference to the Met

#2006031 - 12/29/12 01:14 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

We live in an upside down world, their are hundreds maybe a thousand wannabe classical players trying to make a go of it as a career.. if Ms Lisitsa found a way bravo!
they pay bigger prizes for Wheel of Fortune than Jeopardy! go figure, Lady Gaga will make more money in one month than Lisitsa would in 20 yrs of playing
finacial compensation seems to go more to the "popular" than the scientist who discovers
a cure for some dreaded disease would recieve paltry finacial compensation
than some major league ball player...an upside down world to be sure!

#2006046 - 12/29/12 02:04 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: sophial]
7000 Post Club Member

I have no quarrel with what Lisitsa is doing to advance her career through unconventional means. I just wish I found her musicianship more compelling. As far as I have seen and heard so far, she is within the pack of competent professional musicians but nothing special, and the attention she has garnered seems out of proportion to her actual accomplishments, imo. ........

I put her in the same category as an Andrea Bocelli who has had popular and commercial more than critical success. For an upcoming star with real artistry and musicianship, I'd give the nod to someone like Benjamin Grosvenor. I'd listen to him any time rather than Lisitsa.

Sophia,

I have no quarrel with your opinion of Lisitsa the musician if it is your own opinion. It bothers me a little that you refer to her level of "critical success". I think, unless you yourself are a professional critic, you should only speak for yourself. That's good enough. Professional critics are becoming relatively toothless, but they are still scary, and often nasty and vindictive.

Unless you have paid for her material in live or recorded form, you are in Ms. Lisitsa's debt for giving you and everyone else so much via free electronic media to react to in forming your own judgment. That judgment is different from mine, but that's of no consequence whatsoever.. The point is that in the 21st century we are able to reach our own judgments of what we would rather listen to without a whole bunch of effort.

This thread is really more about the means to the end than anyone's (self especially included) particular categorization or pianist ranking system. If, as you say, the attention paid to Lisitsa is out of proportion to her accomplishments, then it proves that something is clicking, and that Bösendorfer and Decca, rather than reacting slavishly to professional critics, are catching a ride on whatever is clicking.

This morning I listened to some week-old tracks on Lisitsa's youtube channel. I was hardly johnny-on-the spot. Thirteen thousand had preceded me. Here are some notes from her that accompanied one upload.

What you see and hear is basically my first performance, LOL!
Piano is Boesendorfer Imperial owned by http://www.leclavier.ch/
Free sheet music download is available, as always, at IMSLP library:
http://tinyurl.com/cuenc44

This little piece is the best answer to all those "music critics", self-proclaimed experts and other snobs who throughout the years and years belittled, ignored or attacked Liszt music as primitive kitsch designed to pander to primitive tastes of gullible public. What can be closer to perfection than these few pages sparsely "populated" with few notes , easy enough for any amateur to tackle - yet profound and comforting to turn to in the moment of quiet happiness and contemplation - or in the moment of utter hopelessness and despair?

What I get from those notes is a musician who is encouraging her followers to explore some free sheet music and make their own statement with a piece that is not densely populated with notes and is not all that technically demanding. I think it's this encouragement and lack of any condescension that is working. It's also quite obvious what she thinks of so-called experts. grin

BTW, I'm intrigued by Ben Grosvenoor as well. I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to La Jolla, CA in February to see what's up with him. But let's be clear here. Grosvenor is in the emerging stage where the main challenge is to keep up with all his competition-related obligations without physical and mental exhaustion. Lisitsa went through that long ago with t he handicap that she made her bones on dual piano works. At this point her interest is in resuscitating a career that had stalled badly when the critics moved on to the latest competition darlings and left her to her own devices.

#2006061 - 12/29/12 02:36 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

HI turandot,

It is very much my own opinion based on watching a number of her youtube videos and sections of the Royal Albert Hall recital. It was only after that and out of a sense of "what is all the fuss about?" that I started reading more and talking to other pianists whose opinion I respect and who had come to similar conclusions independently.

I do appreciate her egalitarian stance and willingness to buck convention. She seems like a lovely and gracious personality. However, it doesn't surprise me that her solo career had stalled, probably for those reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. Once you get past admiration for her technical facility, there is not a lot of great musicianship happening, imo. But I realize others may strongly disagree.

Sophia

#2006085 - 12/29/12 03:38 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: sophial]
7000 Post Club Member

Once you get past admiration for her technical facility, there is not a lot of great musicianship happening, imo. But I realize others may strongly disagree.

Sophia

Sophia,

I very much respect your opinion and appreicate you caring enough to take the time to post here. I really should get out of this thread for a while instead of mouthing off, but allow me one personal note.

I don't know exactly what makes a performance compelling to different people, but I don't think Lisitsa's demeanor or style on the bench contributes that much to whatever it is. Lisitsa's posture and motions remind me of someone operating a loom, and she dispatches the music without giving the appearance of savoring it. I know from talking to others that her way can be maddening.

I've always been drawn to performers who seemed a a little cold-blooded in their execution of a piece (even when they didn't have a warm and gracious personality grin ). Michelangeli, Richter, and the late Alexis Weiseenberg were big faves of mine when I was more involved in classical music. Each one got my box office donations.

So personally I'm a sucker for the aloof and dispassionate image that Lisitsa presents at the piano. I also admire all the videos she uploaded in which she was playing both Bosies and Hamburgs that were nowhere near the top of their game and was sitting on a $50 X bench. Hey, what can I say? I've been reaching an accommodation with less than perfect pianos all my life and honestly prefer upright chairs and X benches to the fancy stuff.

Happy New Year to you. It was fun chatting with you once again. Now I've got to try my best to stay out of the way for a while!

#2006181 - 12/29/12 06:39 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: sophial]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Indeed, but I put her in the same category as an Andrea Bocelli who has had popular and commercial more than critical success. For an upcoming star with real artistry and musicianship, I'd give the nod to someone like Benjamin Grosvenor. I'd listen to him any time rather than Lisitsa.
Again, not challenging your personal preferences or intentionally singling you out, I would like to correct this misconception that Valentina ever lacked wide critical acceptance; she had many excellent reviews but that was not why she struggled to develop her career. Those who were previously aware of her regularly laid out fine reviews for both her mastery and her performances. What she lacked was draw. She has had critical acceptance in the community for some time. She found a way to create her audience. Her audience includes millions who have never seen her live. More audience means more fans and more critics.

Her career had basically stalled without the draw. Her traditional options were not good, so she took big risks and earned my fascination a second time. I feel almost the opposite, like reading a great author that finally made the NY Times best seller's list.

The idea that she is not deserving of success for her artistry irks me. Preferring another doesn't bother me in the slightest, but trying to detract or divert that success shows a real disconnect to me. Isn't there room in the great many, half-empty halls to do more?
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2006201 - 12/29/12 07:24 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Once you get past admiration for her technical facility, there is not a lot of great musicianship happening, imo. But I realize others may strongly disagree.

Sophia

Sophia,

I very much respect your opinion and appreicate you caring enough to take the time to post here. I really should get out of this thread for a while instead of mouthing off, but allow me one personal note.

I don't know exactly what makes a performance compelling to different people, but I don't think Lisitsa's demeanor or style on the bench contributes that much to whatever it is. Lisitsa's posture and motions remind me of someone operating a loom, and she dispatches the music without giving the appearance of savoring it. I know from talking to others that her way can be maddening.

I've always been drawn to performers who seemed a a little cold-blooded in their execution of a piece (even when they didn't have a warm and gracious personality grin ). Michelangeli, Richter, and the late Alexis Weiseenberg were big faves of mine when I was more involved in classical music. Each one got my box office donations.

So personally I'm a sucker for the aloof and dispassionate image that Lisitsa presents at the piano. I also admire all the videos she uploaded in which she was playing both Bosies and Hamburgs that were nowhere near the top of their game and was sitting on a $50 X bench. Hey, what can I say? I've been reaching an accommodation with less than perfect pianos all my life and honestly prefer upright chairs and X benches to the fancy stuff.

Happy New Year to you. It was fun chatting with you once again. Now I've got to try my best to stay out of the way for a while!

Hi turandot,

Thanks for the kind words and Happy New Year to you too! It's an interesting thread, and I don't begrudge her success, nor question her path to it. However, my opinion of Lisitsa's musicianship has nothing to do with her demeanor or visuals at the piano. I don't get aloofness from her at all. If anything I find her to be rather demonstrative in her arm movements and facial expressions, unlike say Richter (who I adore), Horowitz, Rubinstein and other performers who exhibited the highest levels of musicianship and interpretive artistry with no fanfare or showmanship. I simply don't find her musical ideas or interpretations to be very compelling, interesting or artistically convincing, which leaves me feeling she is not a top caliber artist, although very technically adept. Sam and others may disagree, fair enough. She deserves credit for finding another path to success, whatever opinions I or others may have of her strengths and limitations. Nice chatting with you again too.

Sophia

#2006216 - 12/29/12 07:55 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
boyonahill Offline

Loc: Europe
Just look at what Emily Bear is "using".

First appearance on "Ellen" I think it was a Yamaha, and there are movies on youtube of her promoting a variety of piano stuff. Recently I haven't seen her with anything else than Steinway, though I could be wrong?

With Emily's emphasis on composing I don't know how marketable (or interested) she will be in older age for a piano brand - nevertheless she will be able to earn all the money she needs doing scores for commercials, films etc, adding to what she may earn in "non-commercial" music.

If you have any doubt about this,
(
if you saw her at Ellen doing this
(jump to 4:30 if you're in a hurry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EybqStUVyDg
you probably haven't
)
just look at her two recent re-scorings (?) of short movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlIypRYeVH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHldRFFOch8

Did you cry? Yes, the movies are good from the start, but great scoring makes it perfect.

Compare with these versions of the first film Reunited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESAW8EluEjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u24f2O_sLjc
These two don't give me the same emotional rush, at all.

Edited by boyonahill (12/29/12 07:57 PM)

#2006367 - 12/30/12 05:40 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Please desist.

This thread is about one artist's attempt to advance her career and the music she loves by somewhat unconventional means. It is not about Lang Lang or his well-known sense of the theatric. To come on here simply to unload a bunch of personal animosity and refer to someone's "stupid face" is completely uncalled for.

It is possible to appreciate or disapprove of Ms. Listitsa's undertakings without knocking or vilifying others. The point was made that her new approach does not lessen the accomplishments of others who have taken more traditional ways to bring the pleasure of classical music to an audience. It's a good point.

We should follow the example of Ms. Lisitsa herself. Other than occasional comments disagreeing with the playing approach of contemporary exponents of the so-called Russian school of pianists, she has never knocked the competition, and certainly never singled out any pianist for abuse or ridicule.

Again, we should all follow her example and resist any urge to burden others with our own subjective negativity.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I get the impression that she knows a lot about the playing of other classical pianists, and admires them, not as competition, but as colleagues.

#2006511 - 12/30/12 11:57 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: bennevis]
7000 Post Club Member

It goes without saying that everyone is entitled to her/his personal taste, and entitled to employ a different (often subconscious) weighting system of the many factors that collectively add up to taste. There's no argument about that.

When I was a kid studying piano, it was pretty much one headliner pianist concert a year. Other than same-day student rush seats, tickets were expensive. Like most of my piano student friends, I collected a few albums with my allowance and part-time job earnings. The great debate of the day was Horowitz/Rubinstein...who was better? The debate was lively but poorly fuled, mostly by limited access to a few LP's, some cut live and some made in studio. Part of the fuel mix were the back covers of the albums, which touted the most favorable critical reviews from the profesesional experts of the day. In retrospect it was all kind of silly, but we were kids, and even if we had been adults, access to comprehensive data was extremely limited.

Obviously times have changed and Lisitsa, love her or hate her, deserves credit for being at the vanguard of that change. A professional pianist who shares her practice sessions, broadcasts with a webcam from her practice room, and feeds her fans a steay stream of new material as well as encouragement to pursue their own talent -- such a musician is bound to lose a few who like to think of their faves as members of a pianist pantheon in the garden of the gods.. On the other hand, 52 million youtube hits are going to pick up some new fans along the way to replace the stargazers grin

Even if you dislike Lisitsa's playing approach or fault her musicianship, you should be grateful to her for making it so easy for you to reach that conclusion. You don't have to spend a dime to get the data that fifty years ago would take most of a lifetime to accumulate.

#2006593 - 12/30/12 02:59 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Like most of my piano student friends, I collected a few albums with my allowance and part-time job earnings. The great debate of the day was Horowitz/Rubinstein...who was better? The debate was lively but poorly fueled, mostly by limited access to a few LP's, some cut live and some made in studio. Part of the fuel mix were the back covers of the albums, which touted the most favorable critical reviews from the professional experts of the day. In retrospect it was all kind of silly, but we were kids, and even if we had been adults, access to comprehensive data was extremely limited.

I remember the great Horowitz/Rubinstein debate quite well. And as for pianos, the debate back then focused on the relative merits of Steinway versus Baldwin. No other brands were considered to be in the same league - until Bosendorfers started to gain a following in the USA in the mid-1970s.

#2006603 - 12/30/12 03:24 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
boyonahill Offline

Loc: Europe

These days Ms. Lisitsa’s personal website opens with a video of those long-ago Abbey Road sessions of 2009. The piano is obviously the Finkenstein Hamburg Steinway chosen by her at the time, but the identifying information (the Steinway name and logo as well as the Finkelstein logo) is blocked by a cookie disclaimer at the bottom of the page. Zooming out brings the missing information into view. The same information is completely blocked in another extended shot by a table with a telephone perched on it. Here's the link.

http://www.valentinalisitsa.com/

Now looking at the website with my 1600x1200 screen nothing is hidden initially, the phone is still there though. The cookie disclaimer when accepted turns into a menu. The hifi-interested should look to the left of the screen when she talks in the first movie. Looks like B&W 800's.
http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/Products.html

#2006605 - 12/30/12 03:30 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
When I was at university in the midst of my piano studies and friendly debates, Richter was also thrown into the mix. Though at the time, Cliburn hadn't yet self-destructed and was in consideration.

It's very true about the Baldwin/Steinway thingy but I think that Bosendorfer had crept in a bit sooner, in the early sixties. By the time I entered the UW-Madison in '69, it was already a Bosey school.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2006657 - 12/30/12 05:31 PM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: turandot]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
I think an important element is often missed when people consider the ability of Valentina Lisitsa.

She has a remarkable capacity to learn, she learns musical scores of great complexity very quickly and has gained herself a massive repetoire of technically challenging and difficult music because of it.

It is arguable that she is single-handedly responsible for the popularity of certain works. I read recently that it is now virtually a given that a concert pianist must be able to play all the Chopin Etudes and her You Tube versions are the first many youngsters see when they take an interest in classical piano playing.

This remarkable ability to learn is a double blessing, giving her more free time to actually promote herself.

The chances are that anybody else with her combined talents would take exactly the same course of action she takes.

The fact that none do does not make Valentina Lisitsa a freak, it simply makes her one of the greatest pianistic talents alive today.

#2006826 - 12/31/12 01:01 AM Re: Valentina Lisitsa and 21st Century Marketing [Re: Minnesota Marty]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
When I was at university in the midst of my piano studies and friendly debates, Richter was also thrown into the mix. Though at the time, Cliburn hadn't yet self-destructed and was in consideration.

It's very true about the Baldwin/Steinway thingy but I think that Bosendorfer had crept in a bit sooner, in the early sixties. By the time I entered the UW-Madison in '69, it was already a Bosey school.

Yes - Richter and Cliburn - were definitely part of the great debate back then. In fact, I was a great fan of Richter in the 60s.

I'd never been exposed to Boseys until I played one they'd recently acquired for the recital hall at the U of Missouri in Kansas City in '76. I'm impressed that UW-Madison was ahead of the curve !!

Edited by carey (12/31/12 01:03 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
Today at 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
Today at 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
Today at 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
Today at 11:42 AM
International Junior Piano Competition & Festival
by Piano World
Today at 11:35 AM
Who's Online
139 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, analarana, 36 invisible), 1564 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157889 Topics
2318807 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission