2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dr Popper
No room at the inn for this on my stage 2 I'd have to delete some rather nice stuff .... Worth it ?
Definitely! At least have this as your main AP sample. Even the Large, at 97.3MB is a very nice, dynamic, and detailed sample. The XL just sounds a little bit bigger (as it should being fully mapped).

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
V
V
The XL just sounds a little bit bigger (as it should being fully mapped)

What does "fully mapped" mean ? I know Nord likes to hype their samples being "fully mapped" smile

Last edited by voodooblues; 12/30/12 09:04 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I think they mean fewer notes per sample (ie, less stretching). I don't think the XL versions are 88 note sampled though. I think there's still some stretching going on.

V
V
Would be interesting to see XL sample going through DPBSD test

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Yes, I'll see if I can do that this evening...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I was under the impression that XL 'fully mapped' referred to 88-key sampling...

Is this not the case?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PianoZac
I find it interesting that the Large sample of the Faz is nearly 100MB, noticeably larger than the other Large samples, yet the XL size is the smallest yet

Interesting observation. Since the difference between an XL and an L is that they sample more keys in the XL (all of them, I believe), then I think the relatively large size of the L probably means that that version includes closer to the same number of samples that the XL does, compared to other L/XL pairs, i.e. there is less stretching than on other Ls. The fact that this XL is smaller than other XLs tells me that it has less something than other XLs, though we don't know what. Maybe fewer velocity layers (arguably, not every piano benefits equally from the same number, as the timbre variation from soft to loud is more extreme in some acoustics than others). It could also be shorter samples (attack portions and/or loop portions, the latter more conceivable, if the tone of the piano happened to lend itself to shorter loops that worked). If I get a chance (and no one beats me to it), maybe I'll get copies of these to dewster for DPBSD analysis.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Kawai James
I was under the impression that XL 'fully mapped' referred to 88-key sampling...

Is this not the case?

James
x

Yes I know what you mean James. But for some reason I suspect not. I bet it's "more mapped" and not "fully mapped". Nord's benchmark for "fully mapped" may not actually mean 88 note sampling. I'll have a close listen later. Stretch groups are usually easy to hear.

Online Content
EssBrace, I expect you may have read this already, but just in case, here's the explanation from the Nord site:

The Lrg, Med and Sml sizes share the same amount of velocity layers, and the same number of zones that are mapped across the keyboard. This means that you can rely on a consistent quality in regards to the playability and expressiveness in the basic sound of every piano, no matter which of these sizes you choose to install in your Nord Piano Library compatible unit.

The Extra Large versions are fully mapped accross the keyboard which increases the size a bit. The velocity layers are the same as on the other sizes.

The Large versions have String Resonance samples all across the keyboard, providing you with a very full sound.

The Medium versions have String Resonance samples in the important middle region of the range, but omit these in the lowest and the highest areas. This gives you a good ratio of functionality and size.

Sml is the version that uses the least amount of space in the piano memory, but still carry a big and powerful punch. This version does not contain any String Resonance samples at all. If an Sml piano is selected in the Nord unit, the String Resonance feature (if applicable) will be disabled.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
EssBrace, I expect you may have read this already, but...
The Extra Large versions are fully mapped accross the keyboard

Yup, that's the relevant passage, and the only published reference to the feature that I know of, and the question is one of how precisely it was written. They never say "88." That is a logical interpretation of "fully mapped" as a differentiating feature, but it's not completely unambiguous. Especially when you consider that a simple omission of a word could completely alter it, i.e. "Extra Large versions are more fully mapped accross the keyboard." (Something like that could happen as a kind of typographical error, or confusion between an engineer and a copywriter, or even the fact that English isn't their first language over there.) Also, a phrase like "fully mapped" could technically be whatever the manufacturer defines it to be. For example, it's not impossible that Nord's definition is along the lines of "we usually assign samples to every 3 to 5 keys, but our fully mapped version assign a sample for every two keys" -- that is, it could be fully mapped by their standards. I still think it's likely that they do mean all 88, but until destwer does an XL analysis, I would say that the web text alone is not 100% conclusive.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I need to reload the XL version onto my NP88. The Large version is stretched - just been playing it. Although on this new Faz the transitions are in many cases very good indeed. But I've found a couple of obvious clusters where there is clearly three notes per sample. So maybe the XL really is 88 note sampled. The DPBSD will reveal all....

B
B
I take it the Extra Large version has String Resonance samples across the keyboard like the Medium and Large?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From what I've read, the XL versions are 88 key sampled, non stretched, full string resonance. This makes sense because the XL samples in the Nord Piano Library are far larger than the typical 40-80MB sample size in most other DPs like Yamaha, Roland, Kawai, Korg, Casio, etc. The Fazioli is the nicest piano sample by FAR that Clavia has released.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
A couple of recent YT vids I've just found...The first compares Nord Grand Imperial (Bosendorfer) and the new Italian Grand (Fazioli). The second is a piece this guy has written and he plays it using the Italian Grand. I think the first video is a classic example of how something sounds different when you just listen as opposed to playing. I feel that the first video flatters the Bosendorfer because when I play it I hear a thinnish nasal quality on the mids/upper mids that I rather dislike. To play the new Fazioli is vastly preferable to me. But they both sound good on video 1.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Wwz1mNmEY

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp79RpIL8ps

Cheers,

Steve

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I know this thread is a lovefest for Nord and I really want to love or at least like very much their acoustic pianos but I just keep hearing "fake..."

I didn't hear much of a difference between the imperial and the Italian grand. Add a sub-par action and I just can't jump on board yet.

(I know no one really cares what I think but there you go. I have the means, so I shall add my opinion.)

cheers.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Online Content
Nord sound + decent action = fantastic playing experience. wink

James
x

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by 36251
I know this thread is a lovefest for Nord and I really want to love or at least like very much their acoustic pianos but I just keep hearing "fake..."

I didn't hear much of a difference between the imperial and the Italian grand. Add a sub-par action and I just can't jump on board yet.

We hear things differently. Fake is the last word I'd use to describe any Nord Piano sounds. I find them more real sounding and characterful than any other hardware DP. And in practice the Bosie and Faz are very different beasts to my ears. I do agree the action is weaker than many others, there's no doubt about that - but it interacts with the sounds well. I'm currently playing Nord's sounds using MP10's keyboard so I'm pretty happy with that combination although I don't like having both pianos out in the room because it just looks a mess.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by 36251

I was thinking it must be something to do with the live experience with other gear and a band. I guess it is the whole package being greater with the new sound.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My Nords were leaps and bounds ahead of my old AvantGrand N1. There was no comparison. With headphones, the N1 sounded like a Clavinova sadly. I used to midi the N1 and Nord to use the N1 action to control the far better acoustic sounds of the Nord...that was cool!!

Last edited by PianoZac; 12/30/12 11:24 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Fake is the last word I'd use to describe any Nord Piano sounds.
OK, fake is a little strong and I'm strictly referring to the acoustic pianos. I was just checking out some more YouTube vids. I'd say from middle C up, the samples are just not long enough for my ears. The very top is really lacking any length or woodness to sound real.

I guess it's tough after playing gigs using Vintage D. And I'll be bias and say the Roland FP4 is also more to my liking for acoustic. Nord certainly has the other sounds right on.

I'm leaving my N2 out of this discussion since I don't gig with that, but I'm totally satisfied with the live sound that generates.

Last edited by 36251; 12/30/12 11:34 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission