Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2006649 - 12/30/12 05:08 PM Henle editions of chopin etudes
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
My current edition of the etudes is starting to fall apart, and since it's the schirmer edition anyways I was considering buying another edition instead of getting it rebound....I was looking at the henle editions on amazon and found multiple different types....anyone able to tell me the difference? I found the urtext, the music folio, and the study score editions all by henle, and I'm not sure what the difference and distinction is between them to know which I want to purchase.

Edited by TrueMusic (12/30/12 09:40 PM)

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2006653 - 12/30/12 05:18 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Why not rather check out the National Edition, which seems more and more widely to be considered the best?

#2006686 - 12/30/12 06:38 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Well I hadn't heard of it before! I'll check it out, thanks.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#2006691 - 12/30/12 06:53 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
Mark_C Online   content

It's a little hard to get (the only place I've been able to get that edition from is Theodore Presser and they're sometimes out of stock for a while) and it's also expensive -- but so is Henle. I think the National is the one that's most worth getting -- if you can.

#2006700 - 12/30/12 07:06 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
DonaldLee Offline

You should get the Ekier edition. I had the complete Chopin works in Schirmer, then I "upgraded" to Henle, but then I discovered the Ekier edition. I'm currently replacing all of my Henle with the Ekier, and I currently own the Ballades, Sonates, and Etudes in this edition. It's rather pricey, but it's worth it. You can tell the engraving isn't done by hand though, and it's slightly harder to read than the Henle (I think I only notice that because I stare at various Henle editions from 6+ hours daily). With that aside, the scholarship alone makes it worth it. Here are a couple of places that you can get it:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Etudes/3774888
http://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Chopin-Fr-d-ric-Etudes-Op-10-Op-25-Urtext-Ekier/921080
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#2006723 - 12/30/12 08:11 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I have been wanting the Ekier Edition for sure. I have some of his music in Schirmer, and the etudes I have a Dover Edition with the preludes, as well as the Cortot edition. Which I love reading all the intro and exercises before each etude.

#2006731 - 12/30/12 08:25 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
I agree with Mark C - I vote for the National Edition. Aren't these the same as the Ekier editions? I believe they are one and the same.

Here's a link to check it out.

http://www.presser.com/marketing/keyboard/chopin/ekier.htm

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2006740 - 12/30/12 08:39 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
My only problem with the National Edition (compared to the Henle) is that the (only) two copies I have are not bound well and they resist lying flat on the music stand. Don't take that to imply that I think all National Edition Chopin scores have this flaw. For most of us who are not ultimate Chopin scholars, shouldn't the Henle Urtext suffice and - in some cases - win over because of its greater "user friendliness?" It depends one one's priorities, I guess.

My other big complaint about the new National Edition (Ekier) - and this is not an issue with the Etudes - is that they have two "Series": Series A : Works published during Chopin's lifetime and Series B : Works published posthumously.

This means that if you want all four of the Impromptus, all the Waltzes, all the Mazurkas and all the Polonaises, you have to buy two volumes for each genre; a total of eight volumes whereas other publishers will give these same works to you in four.

I paid $43.95US for the Polonaises, Series A, but never bothered to check the price of the Series B volume of the Polonaises. This production quirk, to me, just smacks of publisher's greed.

The Henle "study scores" are small-print (pocket-book size) versions of the standard-sized scores, meant for ease of handling while studying the score (from a recording or during a performance) but not practical to be played from.

Regards,

#2006745 - 12/30/12 08:47 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you're replacing the etudes because your edition fell apart, I'd stay away from Henle. All my Henles that have gotten heavy use are in shambles. I have the Alfred's Masterworks edition of the Etudes. It's held up great and is easy to read. I like it better that Dover ed or Paderewski editions that I have.

#2006747 - 12/30/12 08:51 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: DanS]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: DanS
If you're replacing the etudes because your edition fell apart, I'd stay away from Henle. All my Henles that have gotten heavy use are in shambles. I have the Alfred's Masterworks edition of the Etudes. It's held up great and is easy to read. I like it better that Dover ed or Paderewski editions that I have.

Strange observation - to me. My Henle Chopin Etudes was purchased in 1970 as was my Henle WTC, Bk I. Both have had constant use and both are still "sound as a dollar" - the dollar - or so - I paid for them then!

That said, I'll be the first to admit that publishing practices and techniques have changed over the years, but my new Henles seem just as stalwart and reliable as the old.

Regards,

#2006751 - 12/30/12 08:58 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm, maybe they changed their manufacturing techniques. My Henle Debussy Images (both books) and L'isle joyuese are in terrible shape (all from the 90s). I wish I went with a different ed.

Perhaps it's because they're all thin scores, held together only with staples (not thick enough to be glued).

#2006756 - 12/30/12 09:05 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: BruceD]
DonaldLee Offline

I can attest that the Ekier editions do not lay flat easily. As far as making sure that my editions stand the test of time, I always put them into an urtext protecter.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#2006783 - 12/30/12 10:20 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
....I vote for the National Edition. Aren't these the same as the Ekier editions? I believe they are one and the same....

Just to help clarify: YES. smile

The official name (I think) is National Edition, sometimes referred to as "Polish National Edition," which is what I usually call it, because I think it makes it more clear. Ekier is the chief editor, and so it's sometimes called the Ekier edition, which I think is clearer than "National Edition" too.

#2006796 - 12/30/12 10:48 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Delaware (slower/lower)
The older I get, the more Henle I use.

#2006869 - 12/31/12 04:07 AM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
What's the difference chaps?

Surely none of the editions leaves out any of the notes.

I've got the Peters Edition which has served me well for many moons.

#2007029 - 12/31/12 11:42 AM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: btb]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: btb
What's the difference chaps?

Surely none of the editions leaves out any of the notes....

For the benefit of the uninitiated, you better let them know that you don't exactly mean most of what you say. grin

Oh -- I guess I just did. ha

#2007109 - 12/31/12 03:22 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: DonaldLee]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: DonaldLee
I can attest that the Ekier editions do not lay flat easily.

Agree!

#2007122 - 12/31/12 04:20 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: BruceD
My only problem with the National Edition (compared to the Henle) is that the (only) two copies I have are not bound well and they resist lying flat on the music stand....

Interesting how different things are important or not for different people. I know that you've mentioned a number of times that this is a big consideration for you. I've never noticed such an issue with these Chopin volumes, and I certainly wouldn't say they're not bound well.

The "lying flat" thing is never much of a conscious issue for me with any scores, probably because I think nothing of bending the heck out of a volume to make it lie however I want it to; I almost don't notice that I'm doing it. Sometimes of course this makes the volume fall apart -- it has happened particularly with my Longo Scarlatti volumes -- but there has never been any such problem with these Chopin National Edition volumes.

#2007950 - 01/02/13 12:26 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
albynism Offline

Henle, bought the etudes in the 90s and the book still held up well. Get the urtext edition. Recommend! The book is not stapled it's stitched.

#2009399 - 01/05/13 11:27 AM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
for me it's Paderewsky, esp. for the very good fingerings.

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#2011231 - 01/08/13 02:48 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: BruceD]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD

Strange observation - to me. My Henle Chopin Etudes was purchased in 1970 as was my Henle WTC, Bk I. Both have had constant use and both are still "sound as a dollar" - the dollar - or so - I paid for them then!

That said, I'll be the first to admit that publishing practices and techniques have changed over the years, but my new Henles seem just as stalwart and reliable as the old.

Regards,

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just pulled out my Henle Mendelssohn Ausgewahlte Kalvierwerke and it is really quite beat up. It had split down the middle and I had to use packing tape to put it back together. It's one of the thicker books, which I'm guessing is sewed together.

My Mozart Sonatas have held up better, but they haven't seen the same level of use.

I will say that I love the look of the Henles. They're very readable.

#2011303 - 01/08/13 04:34 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: DanS]
Ralph Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Delaware (slower/lower)
[quote=BruceD][quote=DanS]
I will say that I love the look of the Henles. They're very readable.

Especially for 53 year old eyes needing bifocals. I do like the fingerlings in the Paderewski edition so have both.

#2011423 - 01/08/13 08:21 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
buladscot Offline

I'm currently replacing all of my Henle with the Ekier, and I currently own the Ballades, Sonates, and Etudes in this edition.

#2011426 - 01/08/13 08:27 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: TrueMusic]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
No need to replace. There is no law restricting people to one edition.

I have three editions of the Etudes: Friedheim, Schmitz and Paderewski. Even so, they do not answer all of my questions.

#2011467 - 01/08/13 10:14 PM Re: Henle editions of chopin etudes [Re: BDB]
Mark_C Online   content

Originally Posted By: BDB
No need to replace. There is no law restricting people to one edition.....

That's right! Depending on the size of the bookcase of course. smile

Bulad: What are you doing with those Henle volumes?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not angling for them. ha
Just wondering. I'm sure you're not using them for firewood. Or at least I'm pretty sure you're not. grin

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (A Guy, ABC Vermonter, a-z0-9, 38 invisible), 1588 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156112 Topics
2292497 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
8 minutes 15 seconds ago
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission