2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Yamaha C2, completely brand new. I thought it was time to switch from a digital piano to an acoustic because I was studying more and more difficult works (I've been playing/self-study for 8.5 years now). Here's an example for the curious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_zgIE2Klfg

I had a choice between a brand new Yamaha C2 and a 40-year old C3. I chose the brand new piano because I thought it will have more value if I sell it a year later to upgrade to a better and longer piano. I think having a Yamaha for a year would be a good introduction to acoustic pianos for my level.

My question would be, is this a good idea financially? I think the stiff action of my new Yamaha C2 will be good for finger training, but I don't want to play on it forever. Would it still have good value after a year of use? (with regular tuning of course). I bought it for 20k Canadian dollars.

Would I lose a lot of money if I sold it to a Yamaha dealer a year later? Would selling it privately be more of an advantage? I have searched the forums of course, but I know a lot of people here are very knowledgeable, and I will be very humbled if you could reply to my situation.

Any feedback is appreciated!
TehIshter

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I do not know the particulars of the financial situation, but I know that it is never a good idea to worry about money that you have spent. Enjoy your piano, instead.

About the stiffness of the action, I have one piano with a stiffer action than the other. It prepares me for all kinds of actions.

Semipro Tech
J
J
I wouldn't say its a good idea to spend 20grand on a piano if you're thinking about selling it on in one year...

Essex EUP-123S

OP Offline
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not know the particulars of the financial situation, but I know that it is never a good idea to worry about money that you have spent. Enjoy your piano, instead.

I'm not worrying at all. In fact, it's only been a couple of days since I had my piano and I have learned so much about how to handle the action of an acoustic already (as opposed to a digital piano's action). The amount of strength, the hand positions, it's like I'm talking with the piano, it's enlightening.

I understand what you mean though. Someone who is not satisfied is an unhappy person. I can assure you I don't have that mindset.

Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
I wouldn't say its a good idea to spend 20grand on a piano if you're thinking about selling it on in one year...

I didn't cash out 20 grand, just to be clear. I'm paying it about $300 a month. The time frame really doesn't matter (it could be 2 or 3 years, or maybe 5 even). I just wanted to know the process of upgrading a piano. In the future as my technique and passion grows, I will need a better piano, and upgrading is only a matter of time.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The upgrading policies are different for each dealer. I hope you discussed this with your dealer before finalizing your purchase. This is one of the major considerations when establishing a relationship with a dealer. Along with service and technical support.

Nice playing.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I don't know much about the financials but your playing is very impressive. I enjoyed the piece you played - anime or not. Beautiful.

Good luck with your new piano.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I was just listening to you and her . .doesn`t get better than that. Whatever you`re playing will sound good. . . .doesn`t really answer your question does it?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
It's hard to say, since we don't know what the market will be like a year from now for your particular area. My guess is that the dealer will be able to take your C2 when you're ready to upgrade, since the smaller grands are much easier to sell than a larger one (I'm not a dealer, but this is what I've been told so I could be wrong here). The only question is how much off the price you paid for it will he take.

I always think you buy as big a piano as you can afford, all other things being equal (quality, condition, maintenance). You are realistic in thinking you will need to upgrade eventually, but I think going from a digital to a C2 is a nice leap that will keep you occupied and happy for some time now.

Yamahas tend to have a lighter touch, so I'm sure the stiffness you're referring to is due to the difference between a digital and an acoustic grand. Still, when the piano has settled in your house, it's good to have that checked out by a qualified technician. They can certainly make some adjustments to that to accommodate your personal preference.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I agree with the other posts that trading your C2 might result in losing some money unless you made a plan ahead with the piano store owner. Some companies like Steinway offer a full trade-up on a more expensive Steinway piano within some rules, but you can be sure that they still make money. I don't think Yamaha has a plan like that as an institution, but individual store owners may do whatever they like. You might find that you love your C2 enough that you won't feel the urge to trade it up for a long, long time. However, I also agree with those who say you should buy the biggest piano that you can afford (and fit in your space) as the bigger pianos offer better performance as a general rule.

Enjoy your new piano and play it a lot. You will notice a major improvement over any digital you might have played. There is much to admire in your new C2.

F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
Ishter

Congratulations.

You got a good deal on the C2. Even so, if you were to try to sell it in say 12 mos I would guess that you would lose several thousand dollars.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't worry about that so much. Rather I would be excited to anticipate how much the new C2 will enable you to advance your playing, which is quite good already - your Roland has served you well.

You are well on your way to becoming an outstanding performer - at the professional level if you wish.

Your C2 will serve you for quite a while - and then when you upgrade to a C7 or something of that ilk - the financial considerations will be a minor issue I would think.

Well done on all counts!

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Online Content
I think your choice of a new C2 over a 40 year old C3 was undoubtedly a good one. The chance that the newness of the C2 will outweigh (both tonally and touch wise) any benefits of the slightly larger C3 is close to 100%.

More later on your sensational playing!

Online Content
Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
However, I also agree with those who say you should buy the biggest piano that you can afford (and fit in your space) as the bigger pianos offer better performance as a general rule.
But that would be if everything else was equal. In this case it was a new piano vs. a 40 year old piano only 5" longer.

OP Offline
Thanks for all of your replies!

Originally Posted by Morodiene
Yamahas tend to have a lighter touch, so I'm sure the stiffness you're referring to is due to the difference between a digital and an acoustic grand. Still, when the piano has settled in your house, it's good to have that checked out by a qualified technician. They can certainly make some adjustments to that to accommodate your personal preference.

You were correct, the more I spend on the grand piano the more I get accustomed to the action. I guess the illusion of heaviness is because the light touch makes it very hard to control the dynamics compared to the heavy Roland action.

Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
Enjoy your new piano and play it a lot. You will notice a major improvement over any digital you might have played. There is much to admire in your new C2.

Very much so, it's definitely a new side to piano playing (I've only played on digital my whole piano experience). The sound production just cannot be replicated by mere stereo speakers.

Originally Posted by Furtwangler
You are well on your way to becoming an outstanding performer - at the professional level if you wish.

Your C2 will serve you for quite a while - and then when you upgrade to a C7 or something of that ilk - the financial considerations will be a minor issue I would think.

Thanks a lot, your compliment means a lot! But I guess if I wanted to buy a longer Hailun semi-grand or a more tonal European piano in the future, I'll have to do with private selling. I doubt it would be for a while though, I'm warming to this piano lately~

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think your choice of a new C2 over a 40 year old C3 was undoubtedly a good one. The chance that the newness of the C2 will outweigh (both tonally and touch wise) any benefits of the slightly larger C3 is close to 100%.

More later on your sensational playing!

That's what my parents said as well, lol. I really preferred the singing tone and the broken in action of the 40-year old Yamaha, but the resale value wont be as pretty.

Last edited by TheIshter; 12/30/12 04:39 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Looks like the low A key on your Roland has taken a pounding!

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
First, congrats on the new piano.

I don't have much information to offer regarding the value questions. That varies a lot by region.

But here's my thoughts on the question of upgrading through a dealer vs. private sale: If there is an upgrade option available with the dealer that might be your best plan. Here's the reason: the dealer has a strong motivation to keep you as a customer and because of that the upgrade options are often based on the original purchase price of the instrument. I know some dealers offer 100% trade in towards an upgrade instrument.

If you sell the piano privately, the potential selling price would have two major factors lowering it: first, it is of course no longer a new piano. Second, private party sales are often generate a lower price than a used sale from a dealer.

Pianist and Piano Teacher

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission