Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2006793 - 12/30/12 10:31 PM Not so well known grands
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I have been following the advice threads regarding purchasing on this forum. It always makes me appreciate the exchange of immediate knowledge due to technology. It's good stuff. However, I was curious to share my story and know if others are familiar with my piano manufacturer.

My daughter is the true musician in the family playing two instruments regularly and two additional ones as a hobby. I play just the piano but I am not advanced by any means. Anyhow, We shared a Yahama Arius DP and at times it was inconvenient. It was at this point I decided to look at acoustics. While shopping, I found a great local store. I went in a few times looked at some pianos and saw some cheaper baby grands. Based on price, I was looking for an upright. There were few Baby Grands in my range so I was pretty excited. I tried a few and was unimpressed. I then played a Chickering and an M&H SG, the latter which seemed to be in great condition but cheap by standards I have heard described here. I ended up playing on a Marshall & Wendell baby grand that felt as good as the two pianos I described. It not only looked great but I loved the etchings and double legs it had. It was made c. 1920 based on what I researched but the serial number must have been painted over. My point, I purchased it as so we could have an acoustic and it is beatiful. I imagine, I will always now want a grand piano. I have heard some horror stories about used pianos but I feel like I hit the lottery purchasing our piano for under 2k. Even my tuner can't believe the nice sound of the treble and feels as if it was barely used. I am no expert but the bass sounds so powerful as well . There is limited info on the web regarding M&W pianos. I know about it's fate after the depression and its take over by Ampico. Does anyone own one? What can you tell me?

Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2007047 - 12/31/12 12:44 PM Re: Not so well known grands [Re: HalfStep]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: HalfStep
…I ended up playing on a Marshall & Wendell baby grand that felt as good as the two pianos I described. It not only looked great but I loved the etchings and double legs it had. It was made c. 1920 based on what I researched but the serial number must have been painted over. My point, I purchased it as so we could have an acoustic and it is beautiful. I imagine, I will always now want a grand piano. I have heard some horror stories about used pianos but I feel like I hit the lottery purchasing our piano for under 2k. Even my tuner can't believe the nice sound of the treble and feels as if it was barely used. I am no expert but the bass sounds so powerful as well. There is limited info on the web regarding M&W pianos. I know about its fate after the depression and its takeover by Ampico. Does anyone own one? What can you tell me?

There are many relatively unknown old pianos—both grands and uprights—that are wonderful musical instruments. Marshall & Wendell are among these.

I’ve rebuilt a couple of M&W grands over the years (all of them subsequent to its joining the Ampico group) and remember them as nicely designed and innovative pianos. In part this is probably due to M&W’s collaboration with Chickering & Sons (another member of Ampico). I remember one small M&W grand in particular that featured a “hinged-edge” soundboard system that carried a “Designed by Chickering” decal on its cast frame (plate).

The value—and performance potential—of any used piano depends somewhat on its initial design and construction but mostly on its current condition. Since you have your technician involved you should have a pretty good idea of your pianos condition and potential. From here I can’t tell a thing about the condition of your piano but, based on my past experience with them they certainly have great potential.

Although this is mostly about the Ampico reproducing mechanism you might be able to find some information about M&W pianos in Re-enacting the Artist: a Story of the Ampico Reproducing Piano by Larry Givens (Vestal Press, 1970).

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2007729 - 01/01/13 11:36 PM Re: Not so well known grands [Re: HalfStep]
HalfStep Offline

Thanks for your response. I have heard and read great things about your work! It's ironic in a way, I bought it as a starter but am impressed with the quality of the piano and will likely hold onto it even when I decide to purchase another in the future. I have read a lot about the Chickering influence on the M&W pianos. I also have done some research and read, somewhere, that many of the dual legged grands may have been player pianos. Based on the history of mine, I would guess that it was at some point. There are four numbers etched on the parts here and there but nothing that would suggest a serial number. Based on what I have read here and other various sites, I would likely be partial to the sound of an American or European made piano. Alas, who knows...

Happy New Year smile

#2007739 - 01/01/13 11:52 PM Re: Not so well known grands [Re: HalfStep]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: HalfStep
Thanks for your response. I have heard and read great things about your work! It's ironic in a way, I bought it as a starter but am impressed with the quality of the piano and will likely hold onto it even when I decide to purchase another in the future. I have read a lot about the Chickering influence on the M&W pianos. I also have done some research and read, somewhere, that many of the dual legged grands may have been player pianos. Based on the history of mine, I would guess that it was at some point. There are four numbers etched on the parts here and there but nothing that would suggest a serial number. Based on what I have read here and other various sites, I would likely be partial to the sound of an American or European made piano.

Most dual-leg pianos were reproducers, but not all. You (or your technician) should be able to tell by looking at the bellybracing and the bottom of the keybed. Modifications were made to bot to fit the reproducing mechanism.

The four numbers are case, or assembly numbers. As the piano works its way through the assembly process and different parts—lid, keycover, cheekblocks, etc.—are fitted to the rim they are all stamped with a four digit number so they can all be matched up later after finishing to form a complete assembly.

The piano serial number would be stamped on as one of the last steps prior to shipping the piano out. It is often located on the forward part of the frame (plate) between the bass and tenor sections. Sometimes it is stamped on the soundboard. It may have been painted over during some previous servicing or rebuilding work. If you can’t find it in any of these places ask your technician to look for it the next time the action is out of the piano. It is often written on the keyframe or on one of the keys.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2007763 - 01/02/13 12:57 AM Re: Not so well known grands [Re: HalfStep]
HalfStep Offline

He and I both, assume it was painted over. I even took off the key slip thinking it might be there and it wasn't. I guess, for this piano, it doesn't matter. We love her nonetheless smile I am just thankful, my first acoustic purchase was been rewarding. I feel fortunate. I am sure the next purchase will be far more researched. However, it is true when posters here suggest you will know the piano that will suit you after playing it. I must be three hours ahead of your time but I feel like playing smile

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (aesop, accordeur, aDino, 36251, Al LaPorte, 36 invisible), 1623 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295126 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission