Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
133 registered (acollins, anamnesis, 36251, AmateurBob, 48 invisible), 1516 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2006950 - 12/31/12 09:36 AM Choosing software piano combo...
EO3 Offline

Hi everyone,

So, in the past few weeks I decided that for my solo piano album I'll go with the mixed approach - perhaps including some of the earlier done recordings in the studio and the rest will come from software piano.

What I don't want is to depend on just 1 piano. I would like to make the recording with eclectic touch and would like to both include grand piano and upright.

First of all, I know that in real piano recordings Bechstein upright is considered as a nice choice. But it seems that none of the software pianos offer Bechstein upright. So, at the moment I'm looking into Ivory Upright 2.

Speaking of grand pianos it seems the choice will be between Galaxy Vintage D or Ivory 2... But the thing that makes it look complicated is that Ivory has both Ivory 2, and also Ivory Italian grand, on the other hand Galaxy also has Galaxy 2...

What I have decided from trying demo version, that I won't be using Pianoteq.

My preferable option budget-wise would be that I could get away with 2 purchases - 1 for uprights, 1 for grand piano. However, if needed, I can try and stretch it to 3.

Any advice, opinions? My first priority in this case is the end result and recored sound quality.

Thanks for all the help over the past year & more helping to decide about things concerning master instrument of all - piano! smile

Wonderful 2013!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#2007021 - 12/31/12 11:33 AM Re: Choosing software piano combo... [Re: EO3]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: EO3
Speaking of grand pianos it seems the choice will be between Galaxy Vintage D or Ivory 2... But the thing that makes it look complicated is that Ivory has both Ivory 2, and also Ivory Italian grand, on the other hand Galaxy also has Galaxy 2...

There's no particular reason why you would need to stick with one company or the other. For example if you want a Fazioli and a Steinway, you could easily get Ivory Italian Grand and Galaxy Vintage D. Then if you want more you could pick up either Galaxy II or Ivory II. You could also just buy one piano from the Galaxy II suite (they are avaialble separately, unlike the Ivory II pianos) to add to the mix if you preferred. These pianos all can be loaded as plugins in a DAW and used interchangeably or layered or whatever.

The only thing that might make you inclined to buy a lot of one company is the ilok. You don't need it for any Galaxy stuff, but if you want anything from Synthogy (Ivory), you will need to buy one. Once you have it, then everything's on the same playing field. I personally avoid the ilok and just buy Galaxy. The way things are going in a few years probably all VST's will require the ilok, though, so I'm probably just delaying the inevitable.

Unfortunately I have not played any upright VST's that I liked, so I can't help you there.

Edited by gvfarns (12/31/12 11:34 AM)

#2007382 - 01/01/13 08:45 AM Re: Choosing software piano combo... [Re: EO3]
EO3 Offline

It seems right now that Vintage D would be the best choice to start with, and then go ahead depending on how I feel Vintage D works in reality, am I on the right track here?

Because, it seems on this forum at least there's a consensus that Vintage D is the best thing out there, well-rounded wise, and also looking from pricing perspective.

I'm not sure about uprights also at the moment, perhaps Vintage D with different settings can do the job.

#2007415 - 01/01/13 10:36 AM Re: Choosing software piano combo... [Re: EO3]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Vintage D is always a safe place to start in my opinion. Just about everyone in the forum who uses VST's has it and likes it. You can build from there.

#2007420 - 01/01/13 10:55 AM Re: Choosing software piano combo... [Re: EO3]
EO3 Offline

I think I'll do that. I searched around in other places and it seems that Vintage D wins compared to Galaxy 2 pianos and Ivory.

One more question, however - it seems that the place to buy is at http://www.bestservice.de/found.asp/vintage%20d/galaxy_vintage_d/en

What's better - to buy a physical CD copy or online? It's strange that the price is the same for both versions, online version should be a bit cheaper as it's free of cost to manufacturers. I find that Thomann store have physical copy even cheaper, but they have delivering costs that add up (to send it to my country).

#2007754 - 01/02/13 12:32 AM Re: Choosing software piano combo... [Re: EO3]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

They both work fine. About half the people here bought the phsyical copy and half bought it online (it seems like). I got the physical copy, which then needs to be updated.

I'm more paranoid than the average joe, so I like to have a physical backup of the installation media when convenient.

Edited by gvfarns (01/02/13 10:26 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
Today at 10:04 AM
Freelance collaborative pianist - money issues
by MiguelSousa
Today at 10:02 AM
Help for this student.... Notes!
by IPlayPiano
Today at 09:44 AM
Free collection of intermediate to very advanced Xmas music
by pianoloverus
Today at 09:39 AM
Some observations about digital piano
by TonyB
Today at 09:36 AM
Forum Stats
77067 Members
42 Forums
159396 Topics
2341477 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission