2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 212 of 370 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 369 370

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

I think we should have an online party to mark the round number.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Rossy, it could be said that Stockhausen had some influence on the later Beatles (particularly John), and many others, such as Eno.

Here's the telegram from Brian Epstein, urgently asking Stockhausen's permission to use his photo on the cover of Sg. Pepper's:

http://www.stockhausen.org/epstein.html

Here's a link to a discussion of whether Stockhausen influenced The Beatles Revolution No. 9

http://beatlesnumber9.com/13number9.html

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]
R
R
Sorry to introduce a break in the midst of the discussion on Stockhausen's musics (the "Helicopter String Quartet" is impressive though). I dunno whether Yanni has already been introduced here or not, but I think repeated discussion on him or his musics will be illuminating rather than boring. I listened to many of his musics thousands of time, and every time I hear them I feel like I'm in heaven! literally! It surprises me even further that he is a self-taught pianist and he can't read sheet music. Anyway, I'm posting only two of his famous compositions:
[video:youtube]I_B8H956-rg[/video]
[video:youtube]pXc50aLxTow[/video]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Most interesting posts folks, thanks for the info on stockhausen Polyphasic and Eglantime, he certainly is a curious Dude!! Hmmm, and folks do actually pay money for tickets? lol.

Captainkawai, warren zevon, if I didnt any better, and had my eyes closed and someone played that and asked me who wrote is and performed it, I would have said 10cc, it just has that sound about it.

Eglantine, about the Party, all I can say at the moment is that there is something very very big in the pipeline, and if you check your Pm,s I will inform you about it!

Rupak, I am a bit ambivalent about Yanni, I dont quite know what to make of him, I know you would rather know my genuine feelings rather than I just say something nice?
All I can say is he is definately a phenomena, but there again so is seaweed.

what I mean is, in the first video he went on about the chinese flute, and made a big deal of it in front of a chinese audience, but what he had composed sounded much more like Andean pan pipe riffs, than chinese music.. I know chinese music can be difficult for western ears but still.

And then there was the prologue about the nightingale, and how he had listed to its singing and how that had inspired the song.... well, I am sorry, but I dont think so.
Let me explain: Birdsong contains "calls" and "answers" this is where clasical music gets the phrase "call and answer" from!! Its a simple concept, a balance of phrase, and folk like Beethoven were extremely aware of this principle and used it to great effect within their given music.

Beethoven used to go for daily walks, miles at a time.
In fact Beethoven was never happier than when in the countryside, nature was as essential to his daily life as the music, the music he wrote was oft inspired directly by nature.

So, with all humbleness, I say if that piece of music by Yanni was meant to have anything to do with a nightingale, he didnt nail it, it was an epic fail, in my opinion.

He should forget about grooming his hair, and go listen to nature.

Mrs R has reminded me that the Chinese audience may well have been very impressed by Yanni's moustache, because generally the Chinese are not able to grow large beards or moustaches due to their genetic make up.( this is just a factual accident of DNA)

However, she also goes on to say that if Yanni "slivered" or "snaked" his way up to her at a bar, she would run, as fast as she could towards the nearest TARDIS, to get back to 2012, believeing she had slipped back to the 1970's.

Mrs R says "cheesy" just does not express her true fear of Yanni.

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/17/12 08:09 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I forgot to mention Rupak, this is only my opinion, and I am a strange character anyways, so do take it with a pinch of salt!! lol.
However, I have developed a fear of Stockhausen, this is my fear:

I fear that if ever I met stockhausen, he may convince me with a plausable teutonic story that something really ridiculous was in reality, factual.

I fear that if I listened to what he had to say for more than say 16 mins, I may need an excorcism.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Stockhausen died five years ago. So, if you find yourself in conversation with him, I'd say you would need to do more than just a run-o-the-mill exorcism.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Well somebody could have told me he had passed away!!!
Is there a stockhausen society or fan club? I bet there is!! lol.
ooh PPP, funny you should bring up zombies, Resident evil film with Milla Jovovich was just on the telly., it finished about ten mins before you posted.
It was the second in the series set in Racoon city.
I have the box collection, and have learnt the zombie etiquet, just incase real life mad scientists go too far!! We know what to do. ( mainly hide except for food runs )

R
R
Originally Posted by Rostosky
I am a bit ambivalent about Yanni, I dont quite know what to make of him, I know you would rather know my genuine feelings rather than I just say something nice?
...this is only my opinion, and I am a strange character anyways, so do take it with a pinch of salt!! lol

Rossy, I mentioned a few times before I'm never afraid of criticisms; rather, I hate flattering. And, as I predicted before posting Yanni's music, it was indeed an illuminating discussion that you made on nature's inspiration on classical music. I never thought it that way! In fact, I hardly go by the title of a music. Let me express my feelings about the song. I also hardly found the effect of a nightingale singing in that composition, except at the beginning and the end, when the flute player tries to catch some sort of bird-singing effect. That was indeed remarkable I think, and indeed, the artists perform in Yanni's troop are no doubt highly talented. Most of the times I enjoy very much their solo or duet performances that Yanni allow in his live programs.
But I like the second one and some others of his compositions like "One Man's Dream", 'In the Morning Light" etc. (again I don't go by the titles, I only go by the music itself) very much. They're indeed very good compositions even if you don't find any correlation between the title and the song!

And for the record...
He should forget about grooming his hair, and go listen to nature.

...he doesn't bear long hair or...
Chinese audience may well have been very impressed by Yanni's moustache, because generally the Chinese are not able to grow large beards or moustaches due to their genetic make up

...long beard and mustache now-a-days:
[Linked Image]

I almost couldn't recognize him seeing the cover art of his new album! I think he is now listening more to nature laugh (and here is another instance of your prediction becoming true grin , *apologies*)

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
In a curious way, the first vid of Yanni reminded me - in a variety of ways - of Demis Roussos. Demis Roussos circa 'Abigail's Party'. Wha'd'aya reckon, Rossy?

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I never cared for Yianni's music (just uninteresting to me) but I mostly approve of his new hairstyle.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Good Sunday everyone! I've been pretty scarce lately because it's super busy time at work. We've got a concert coming up soon, and I'm the guy in charge of the publicity and marketing! It should start easing up soon, however.

Anyways, I always set aside my time for Classical Sunday postings. My favorite time of the week! My first post will be the overture to "The Marriage of Figaro" by W.A. Mozart. It is performed by the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of Claudio Abbado.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I haven't posted any good organ music in a while. Here is Hans-Andre Stamm performing "Prelude and Fugue in G major BWV 541" by J.S. Bach.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My next post is piano virtuoso Mitsuko Uchida performing the third movement of "Piano Concerto No 25 C major" by W.A.Mozart.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

My final post for today is a selection by American composer Samuel Barber: "Rain Has Fallen", Op. 10, No. 1. The baritone is Gerald Finley.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

That's all for me today. I will be around to catch up on chores, and for piano practice. I will be checking in here throughout the day. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful Sunday posts, Griffin, as usual! The song of Barber is a moving piece of music, thanks for posting it.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts, Recaredo. I always make some interesting discoveries when I explore Barber's music. I have a few more to present later this month. Right now, I have to practice and get a few more chores done. I'll be checking in again real soon.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent Griffin and Recaredo, Sunday is just made for Mozart, Bach and Barber isnt it??
wonderfull.
I hope you are taking it easy today Griffin, you have been working far to hard of late.

And Isn't it about time WAYNE put in an appearence?

I mean where is Wayne? seriously dude, we cannot wait till wayne33yrs becomes wayne34yrs!

Stop lurking.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Griffin. I find Mozart overtures thrilling!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A programme about the Bronte sisters' piano and musical world, available on BBC iPlayer until Sat 24 March:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d12ny/The_Brontes_Piano/

Blurb:

Singer Catherine Bott explores the Bronte sisters' musical world through their newly restored piano, now returned to the parsonage in Haworth. Joined by pianist Jonathan Cohen, Catherine looks through the Bronte's family music collection - including Anne Bronte's own songbook, copied by hand - and discovers how musical life at the parsonage underscored the sisters' creative life, their work and tastes.

The Brontes' piano was originally made by John Green of Soho Square at the turn of the C19th and is thought to have come in to the parsonage sometime in the early 1830s. The sisters all loved music. Emily was described as playing 'with precision and brilliancy'; Anne preferred to sing. Charlotte's poor eyesight meant that she couldn't read the notes to play, although knowing references to music, song and piano performance figure throughout her fiction.

The piano itself has an interesting history: it was lent to Mr Grant, the curate of Oxenhope by Patrick Bronte after his children's deaths, and then sold at an auction of Bronte items in 1861. It then passed through numerous hands and was put up for sale at Sothebys in 1916, before eventually finding its way back to the parsonage. It has been recently restored - for the first time opening up the sound world of the Brontes' private, domestic musical life. Does their music-making show us a different side to the sisters - perhaps one that doesn't quite fit with how we want or need them to be?

[Linked Image]
Page 212 of 370 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission