Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2007319 - 01/01/13 03:09 AM Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D
Hnbui Offline

Hi all, I need some opinion to help me make decision pls!

I have an offer for a K & C baby grand piano, model KDG 500D, year 2005 for the price of 3600 USD (not include warranty, delivery or tunnning). The piano looks new to me, and the sound seems nice and mellow (I dont play piano. I want to buy the piano for my kid who has taken piano lesson for more than a year). Per the dealer, it is a consigned piano and the owner bought it as a decoration piece, so it is in very good condition.

Do you think 3600 USD is a fair price for this piano? I couldn't find the KDG500D model on the K&C official web site, so I wonder if that means this model is no longer manufactured and has been discontinued or what?

Any opinion/experience to share regarding this subject is very appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Hnbui (01/01/13 03:51 AM)

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2007336 - 01/01/13 04:53 AM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
It seems fair.... Have a Technician check it out. A piano that is 100%+ flat can be very mellow.

#2007405 - 01/01/13 10:11 AM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Welcome to Piano World!

I agree with Dave B... the price sounds reasonable to me. And, I second the suggestion to have it inspected by a competent piano tech.

Good luck, and happy new year!

Rick

#2007449 - 01/01/13 12:27 PM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Hnbui
I have an offer for a K & C baby grand piano, model KDG 500D, year 2005 for the price of 3600 USD (not include warranty, delivery or tuning). The piano looks new to me, and the sound seems nice and mellow (I don't play piano. I want to buy the piano for my kid who has taken piano lesson for more than a year). Per the dealer, it is a consigned piano and the owner bought it as a decoration piece, so it is in very good condition.

Do you think 3600 USD is a fair price for this piano? I couldn't find the KDG500D model on the K&C official web site, so I wonder if that means this model is no longer manufactured and has been discontinued or what?

Samick (manufacturer of K&C) changes model names frequently but the actual changes to the piano are usually minimal.

This piano is either a 4' 11" or a 5' 1" piano -- you should find out which. I wasn't all that fond of the 4' 11" piano but the 5' 1" piano (built either in Korea or Indonesia) we both good pianos for their size and price.

One of the things I (as a technician) liked about the K&C pianos was their hammers -- they used good felt were nicely pressed. They were easily voiceable. If the piano was originally purchased as a decoration piece the original purchaser may not have been too fussy about the pianos initial prep and tuning. It would be wise to have a competent technician take a look at the piano to determine the condition of the action regulation, etc.

Also, Samick uses wippen assist springs in their actions with little leading in their keys. What leading there is tends to be erratic. Our practice was to reduce the spring tension to just balance the wippen and install more conventional leading in the keys. This change gives the action a much better touch and feel.

It is doubtful that your child with just a year or two of lessons will notice the difference but it may become an issue later on. Pianos that are played regularly need periodic regulation and voicing anyway and this could be done (if desired) at that time. It would add a little bit to the cost of regulating but it shouldn't be all that much.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2008085 - 01/02/13 04:45 PM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Hnbui Offline

Thanks everyone for your advice. Just an update, I ended up not to consider the piano any longer due to the dealer putting a lot of pressure on me to close the deal within the same day and he didnt seem to be an honest person to do business with. He raised the selling price by taking out the delivery, tunning from the 3600 that he originally quoted me. He also played game with me by saying a church offered him 4500, so i need to compete with that price and move fast. He said he liked me so he wanted to give me the chance to get it if i can pay the new price 3600 w/o delivery, tunning and close the deal within the day, blah blah blah.....after all, i dont feel right abt the whole thing, so i told him to go ahead sell the piano to the other party.

Now, i will continue my journey to keep searching for a good piano within my budget :-). It is definitely not an easy process... Pls wish me luck. I am sure that i will come back here again asking for help from you all. Thanks for helping me.

Hnbui.

#2008088 - 01/02/13 04:50 PM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Sounds to me like you made the right decision... good for you.

Enjoy your quest for the right piano. You will know it when you find it.

Rick

#2008114 - 01/02/13 05:31 PM Re: Help please!!! Kohler and Campbell KDG500D [Re: Hnbui]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Hnbui
Thanks everyone for your advice. Just an update, I ended up not to consider the piano any longer due to the dealer putting a lot of pressure on me to close the deal within the same day and he didnt seem to be an honest person to do business with. He raised the selling price by taking out the delivery, tunning from the 3600 that he originally quoted me. He also played game with me by saying a church offered him 4500, so i need to compete with that price and move fast. He said he liked me so he wanted to give me the chance to get it if i can pay the new price 3600 w/o delivery, tunning and close the deal within the day, blah blah blah.....after all, i dont feel right abt the whole thing, so i told him to go ahead sell the piano to the other party.

I agree with Rickster; you made the right decision. If that dealer comes back to you with the original deal--i.e., original price and including delivery in in-home tuning by the technician of your choice--you might reconsider. But only after having the technician of your choice inspect the piano to be sure it is really as presented.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Initial Thoughts on Left/Right Hand Independence
by Visalia
09/19/14 01:23 PM
Questions regarding Schafer and Sons VS52
by Tankster911
09/19/14 12:42 PM
Transcribe tune
by pianomise
09/19/14 12:16 PM
Musescore playing my dp ?
by Pollux
09/19/14 10:58 AM
helpers wanted, interactive PC piano teaching game
by russellambrose
09/19/14 08:40 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (ajames, 255, accordeur, Alexander Borro, albumblatter, 44 invisible), 1456 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76251 Members
42 Forums
157628 Topics
2315259 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission