Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 211 of 238 < 1 2 ... 209 210 211 212 213 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#2006110 - 12/29/12 04:19 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Densi826]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Hi all.

It's been a little while since I posted. Though I have lurked from time to time.

Hope you all had a merry Christmas and will have a happy 2013 (2013! how could it be?).

I heard this the other day on a repeat of Jools Holland. I was mesmerised ...

Unusual in several respects of structure, melody and time. It's not too often we hear 7/8.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2006419 - 12/30/12 08:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Thanks for a lovely post, Newman. I remember watching that show. It's lovely to hear the Geordie accent coming through instead of the usual mid-Atlantic sounding accent that English singers seem to end up with - Oxford/London English is so unsingable!
And a very cleverly crafted piece of songwriting, too.

Well, good morning, all!

Georges Bizet starts our seasonal classical picks today with the prelude from his first L'Arlesienne Suite, The March of the Three Kings. The music is based on an older Christmas carol and was once used by Jean-Baptiste Lully.

#2006426 - 12/30/12 08:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Keeping with the time of year but straying from the festivities for a moment here we have a version of Tchaikovsky's December from his Op. 37, The Seasons, orchestrated by Georgii Cherkin.

This young Russian has been orchestrating music since his youth and his piano and orchestra adaptations include Für Elise and the Moonlight Sonata. He is also an experienced and gifted performer of piano concertos.

#2006442 - 12/30/12 09:11 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Another nod in the seasonal direction for my vocal piece today. This is from Handel's Messiah, For unto us a child is born.

We shoot over to Minneapolis for the next part of the programme but will return to round off. If I don't catch you later, have a good week until next week and especially have a happy, peaceful and prosperous new year!

#2006454 - 12/30/12 09:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for those wonderful holiday postings Richard! Thanks also to Newman for that wonderful post earlier. We have missed you and your contributions to the thread.

Good morning everyone! I'm going to digress a bit from holiday seasonal music with my next two postings. However, I'll wrap up with a favorite choral selection I love to hear at this time of the year.

My first selection is Dvorák's Slavonic Dance No. 1. It is performed by the Vienna Philharmonic under the direction of Seiji Ozawa.

#2006471 - 12/30/12 10:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

My next selection is a discovery I made while researching some of Handel's music. I kept running into performances by American countertenor David Daniels. I decided to put a hold on my Handel research and learn more about Daniels' performances. Here he performs the aria "Barbaro Traditor" from Antonio Vivaldi's opera Bajazet. This studio recording is with the Europa Galante chamber orchestra under the direction of Fabio Biondi.

#2006484 - 12/30/12 10:40 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: griffin2417]
griffin2417 Offline

I was delighted to find this more recent recording of Franz Biebl's "Ave Maria" performed by Chanticleer, the Grammy Award winning male vocal ensemble based in San Francisco. This will be my final Sunday classical posting for today, and this year! I wish you all a warm and peaceful holiday season, and a joyous New Year!

Be sure to check in later for Richard's holiday finale from Ireland.

#2006498 - 12/30/12 11:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom But its not rea...
Thanks for the music education it has been a pleasure to listen to. It just dawned on me that you do a regular show every week, I think I might have jumped in the middle of it last week oops (nothing wrong with a little bit of innocent spontaneity)

What can I say about the wonderful Unthanks piece just brilliant, I seen a documentary either about them or by them not so long ago and i think it was a BBC production well worth buying in my opinion.

#2006521 - 12/30/12 12:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Densi826
It just dawned on me that you do a regular show every week, I think I might have jumped in the middle of it last week oops (nothing wrong with a little bit of innocent spontaneity)
And again this week! smile And nothing at all wrong with that, Densi!

You've been very active in the thread, for which much thanks, and are always welcome to continue posting whenever it suits. We don't stand on ceremony here.

So, on with the "regular show"...

Many people get their first taste of Baroque music with a collection of pieces that usually includes the Albinoni/Giazzotto Adagio in G minor and the Canon (and Gigue) of Johann Pachelbel. The next most likely piece along with something from Purcell and Handel is Corelli's Christmas Concerto, Op. 6, No. 8.

The measure of a composers worth is usually his big pieces, Symphonies, Concertos and Opera. Before the advent of the Symphony under Haydn and Mozart the Suite served the same purpose for Bach and Handel but before that came the sonata.

The sonata developed, as did opera, at the dawn of the seventeenth century in Italy. The other important developments at the time were the continuo and the orchestra as well as, of course, the move towards tonality based on major and minor scales instead of the renaissance practise of using modes. Towards the end of the century Arcangelo Corelli began developing the sonata using concerted forces. Early Baroque music as it developed from the renaissance, was written in a polyphonic style and early sonatas began appearing using instruments, one per voice. Alessandro Stradella began to use 'concerted forces' for these sonatas based on Louis XIV's string groups.

The string groups of the Sun King were overhauled and reformed by Jean-Baptiste Lully, mentioned, coincidentally, in my opening piece by Bizet.

Eventually these concerted forces lead to the two sections of the orchestra, the concerto grosso and the concertino that we met last week in Bach's Brandenberg Concerto.

Bach and Handel were influenced, as were many composers since, by the twelve Concerto Grossi, Op. 6 by Corelli. They were probably written from around 1680 but not published until 1714 after his death.

Note the fast-slow-fast-slow contrast throughout the piece's six movements.

1.Vivace – Grave
2.Allegro
3.Adagio – Allegro – Adagio
4.Vivace
5.Allegro
6.Pastorale: Largo

I wish you, once again, a peaceful and prosperous new year.

#2006553 - 12/30/12 01:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Densi826]
griffin2417 Offline

Originally Posted By: Densi826
Thanks for the music education it has been a pleasure to listen to. It just dawned on me that you do a regular show every week, I think I might have jumped in the middle of it last week oops (nothing wrong with a little bit of innocent spontaneity)

What can I say about the wonderful Unthanks piece just brilliant, I seen a documentary either about them or by them not so long ago and i think it was a BBC production well worth buying in my opinion.

Hi Densi! I just noticed your post. I loved your Telemann posting last Sunday. Always feel to free to post at anytime!

A bit of history about the Sunday classical postings. I started the tradition on RST in summer 2011 shortly after Rossy launched this thread. You're now familiar with how eclectic our music tastes are on this thread. At that time some of us founding members were just getting to know each other via the music we shared with each other, a critically important part of what we all continue doing today!

Back to the summer of 2011. I truly enjoyed the music sharing on Rossy's thread. However, something was missing for me each Sunday. It had to do with the fact that I was not hearing much classical music on Sunday morning. Sunday mornings in my home has traditionally consisted of relaxing, reading, and listening to classical music either on our local radio station, or from our own private collection. With regards to RST, I decided to start posting my favorite classical music, or recently discovered pieces. The response has been phenomenal. Others joined in.

Richard and I formed a partnership to post classical music on Sundays less than a month ago after I had completed my work for the Erik Satie themed recital. I would have never participated in that recital because I knew I would not have had enough time to do my Sunday classical postings. When Richard agreed to volunteer to do the Sunday classical postings, I was then agreeable to participating in the recital. Thus, the new volunteer partnership was launched.

Sunday is not exclusively classical music, however, and it is not the exclusive domain of Richard and Yours truly smile . It all depends on who wants to post some music of any genre. I've certainly been known to post some jazz, blues, folk, Andean music, after I've posted a program of classical music smile

#2006585 - 12/30/12 02:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

Thanks Richard and Griffin, good stuff thanks for the info. I have to got and visit a friend of mine so I will have to be brief. I really like the tone of this thread not to mention all the new music and humor found in it. It has distracted me for good reasons but I will hang around. I have got to get back to making my own music and a few other things, I am also learning piano as well I was in a band once but thats a different story.

#2006679 - 12/30/12 06:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

The Corelli Christmas concerto was lovely Richard. I've finally gotten some uninterrupted time to give a complete listen. The detailed background information you provided also gave me a context of some of the earlier stages of Baroque music. This is information I am interested in. However, don't have enough time to explore further. Thanks for doing it.

You've already given a few ideas for next Sunday. We will be in touch again soon about that. Happy New Year if we don't have a chance to visit before!

#2006717 - 12/30/12 07:57 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
I mentioned a little while ago that I was not to keen on going to the (evil dwarfs) next door neighbours "housewarming" "party"

Yes?

Yes, indeed. So, if I hadnt of gone in the first place, then, I would not have been asked to leave a couple of hours later.

I would not have in fact been told to just go.(home)

Rossys presence became surplus to the ( evil dwarfs) hosts requirements.

The visually astute may have noticed that I put quotation marks around the words "Housewarming" and "party"

This was not accidental, I should explain.

If, I had a housewarming party, and I invited folk round, I would expect them to assume that the word "party" (contained in the "housewarming party" invite) had at least one element of its dictionary definition present in the "House" part of the housewarming party invite... surely?

If, I had a four foot long table X two feet wide, filled to brimming with dishes of gastronomic interest, like pork pies, crisps, pastries, christmas fancy things that look posh and your not sure what they are, peanuts, and one hundred other edible delights,

THen, every time guests came in, or passed me by during the course of the evening,

I would, be saying over and over, "Hey, have you seen the peanuts, pork pies, crisps, other posh stuff that is fancy for christmas and edibles... DO help yourself,
Come on, get stuck in folks, it will only go to waste if you dont" etc etc etc.

Surely thats more in the spirit of a "party" than a host standing next to a food table all night and saying NOTHING about helping oneself...
Or offering occasionally even?

Maybe one could have helped oneself anyway?
well maybe yes, except there were no plates ( and these folk are not poor they do have plates)

So one would have been forced into asking the king of the not sharing table if one could indulge, and I watched and waited, and no one did that and as these other folks were friends of his rather than neighbours ( like us) I thought , "if they are not asking, then it may well be astute to not ask for an unspecified reason that they knew about and I dont.

I didnt get asked to leave because I ate food, I never ate a thing at this party as the party excitement was about to get to much for me at any given moment I wrongly believed.

So what else makes the "party" bit of "housewarming party" I wonder? ( and often did last night)

Maybe it is the dancing? Am i correct in thinking folk do do dancing at parties?

Not so.

Maybe i should have concentrated more on the music.

Correct me if I am being expectant, but usually at a party there is some music right?

What we got was some "ambient buddist background music" that even with a hearing aid in each ear turned up to 11, I could not hear above the A rated eco-fridge which tallies in at an impressive 0.0024 of a solitary decibel.

To even the slightly musical amongst us,I can assure you, there was no music.

Are folk meant to look happy at "parties" or have I totally slipped into a parallel universe?

The six "other" "party"goers looked as nervous as me, and I had drunk a bottle of ameretto, before I got there, so they must have been very anxious indeed, moreover they sat round the edges of the room and "partied not"
In the conventional sense of the word "party" that is.

One may be excused for thinking we "arrived to early" we most certainly didnt,( small mercies) the "party" was billed as starting at three in the afternoon and also billed as going on till whenever at night.

we arrived at six.

Maybe I should have concentrated my mind onto the "housewarming" part of "housewarming party" I hear the dissenters....

well, If I was having a "housewarming party" I would at least show folk round the house, and say things like " have you seen the sunroom? heres the bathroom, this is the spare bedroom" "I grew these tomatoes" "this is my guitar" "I have loved these frogs since I was a boy" etc etc.

Not so.

Maybe the "warm" part is of prime importance?

well dipsey sat with her back six whole inches away from his multi fuel stove.

Now you all know I have fitted a multi fuel stove in ours for us just recently? remember?

If you sit with your back six inches away from ours, within a few seconds you will have third degree burns.

This is because we are not mean spirited, if you want heat out you gotta put fuel in, and thats how it is with a stove not just in wales in winter,but coincidently, in most "stoves versus the cold situations" If you want to keep toasty.

There was a single piece of wood, not on fire, but merely glowing underneath, after three hours the "host" put two pieces of ecofuel next to it.
Eco fuel is fancy eco coal stuff, apparently it gives out as much heat as coal and lasts longer.

well it would if you use it: two pieces per three hours, I guess.

If I was allowed to smoke at this exciting time, I could have warmed myself round my cigerette lighter somewhat.But, obviously I had to go outside to smoke as this was also a smoke free (as well as obviously fun free) party.

Why the abrupt ejection of old Rossy one may well be excused for asking?
Why? when no effort was spared or expended to encourage partying behaviour from my good self, was I asked to leave?

Well, as nothing else at all was happening, I decided to make conversation with the (evil gnome)host.

All may have been superficially well, had I not tried to engage the host in a conversation that had some depth, but in fairness it did not say on the invite that if anyone disagreed with the host verbally , (louder than the eco fridge say)then the host would be likely to throw all the toys out of the sandbox suddenly and become unpartylike.

I must point out at this juncture, that I have been evicted from much , much better parties for an awfull lot more than a heated debate between consenting adults.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2006887 - 12/31/12 06:32 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

Talking about party's

Happy new year everyone!

#2006911 - 12/31/12 07:48 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Densi826]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Happy New Year's to all !

Let's see......that means I'll fall asleep at approx 1:30 am when the neighbors stop with their silly fireworks.....maybe I'll practice piano meanwhile!

#2007083 - 12/31/12 02:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
lol @ Rossy, Happy New Year man! smile And A happy new year to all of you smile It's Party Time for me, see you all soon smile

#2007104 - 12/31/12 03:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Sorry to hear about your unparty Rossy... (couldn't help but laugh lots reading it though...) How did you get suckered into that again?

Happy New Year everyone!!!! I'm bringing in the new year by babysitting my grandson! LOL But I will be playing my keys and playing video games throughout the night after the said "two year old me me me monster" goes to sleep.. LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2007140 - 12/31/12 04:47 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

dont want to put a damper on the sentiment, but ( oh no a "but") but, please dont be fooled into thinking that next year cannot possibly be as bad as this one, and that things must get better.

be prepared that they may not be. In fact my best old year new year advice is : expect the absolute worse case scenario, at all times day and night, and then, just maybe, for once just maybe, possibly it may not happen and you will be pleasantly surprised instead of having to think things like "i knew it, I just knew it"

Off to try and find a conventional party,
Wayne, thanks, it was awfull.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2007206 - 12/31/12 08:28 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

The last song of the night for me.

#2007241 - 12/31/12 09:24 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Over here we’ve already had the twelve grapes three hours ago, so we are officially in 2013.

I hope to get up tomorrow early; I’d like to see the New Year’s concert, so I’m better off to bed.

Good night and happy new year to everyone!!

My website

#2007249 - 12/31/12 09:34 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Sorry about that bad party experience Rossy. Me and the other half swore off these parties years ago. As for expectations for 2013...it will be what it will be! smile

#2007253 - 12/31/12 09:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It will get better, even much better, I’m pretty sure wink.

My website

#2007380 - 01/01/13 08:35 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Happy New year all - here are some "simple gifts" for your sensory pleasures:

Trap

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#2007442 - 01/01/13 12:00 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
WISH A VERY VERY HAPPY & PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL!

#2007569 - 01/01/13 05:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
I wanted to wish everyone a happy new year before I go to work!

Here's my go-to band for cheesy traditional covers.. it just sounds better to me this way.

#2007887 - 01/02/13 10:14 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

recaredo, me and dipsey got issued twelve grapes as well in the pub we were in at the time, a friend gave us them... I managed to get three down in the given time, or I would have choked on the skins ( he didnt peel them) how do you get twelve down in the space of the "bongs" from big ben?

#2008008 - 01/02/13 02:21 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hey Rossy, I’m glad you had the twelve grapes to greet the New Year.

It’s just a matter of practice. You have to chew the grapes quickly, and swallow them two by two. Meanwhile always one grape has to be prepared in your hand for the next bell.

And the most important thing: Avoid laughing, it can be really dangerous! smile

My website

#2008011 - 01/02/13 02:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Recaredo
Hey Rossy, I’m glad you had the twelve grapes to greet the New Year.

It’s just a matter of practice. You have to chew the grapes quickly, and swallow them two by two. Meanwhile always one grape has to be prepared in your hand for the next bell.

And the most important thing: Avoid laughing, it can be really dangerous! smile

This is a real test of my self control.....
smile

#2008098 - 01/02/13 05:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Densi826 Offline

#2008100 - 01/02/13 05:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Those might be a bit hot trying to swallow.. lol

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

Page 211 of 238 < 1 2 ... 209 210 211 212 213 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (accordeur, ajames, 42 invisible), 1867 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75528 Members
42 Forums
156188 Topics
2293621 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Replacing a treble string-Steinway B-under the bass strings
by Greg the Piano Tuner
Today at 11:47 AM
New set of studies probing Does Practice Make Perfect?
by music32
Today at 11:25 AM
Toyama Piano- A Year On.
by TheAccompanist
Today at 09:39 AM
Frederick Historical Piano Benefit Concert - July 29 2014
by Terrytunes
Today at 09:25 AM
Using a (continuous) sustain pedal as expression
by barmassimo
Today at 09:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission