Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2007422 - 01/01/13 11:19 AM Please Advice on playing chords of any song
Venky Offline

Hi,

I can locate and play all the basic chords. But i find problem in switching from one chord to another which are located apart. How should i practice to make it perfect?

Also, I identified all the chords for a particular song and can play the whole song. I learnt the song incrementally measure by measure.But, the notes move back and forth so much that i also forget the notes in the middle and my mind goes blank. How to make the song notes flow continuously without break.

Thanks guys
Venky

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2007424 - 01/01/13 11:22 AM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Practice by moving your fingers from the notes of one chord to the notes of the next.

#2007431 - 01/01/13 11:44 AM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
Venky Offline

Thanks BDB, also any suggestion on my other question?

#2007435 - 01/01/13 11:47 AM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Concentrate. Or write down what to play as a reminder.

#2007439 - 01/01/13 11:52 AM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Welcome to the forum, Venky.

Try breaking up the chords, practicing only the right hand top note and left hand bottom note. Then practice only the middle notes, etc.

By the way, piano music is usually referred to as a "piece" or by its type: sonata, prelude, waltz, etc. A "song" is music that is sung.

Deborah

#2007472 - 01/01/13 01:22 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Venky
Hi,

I can locate and play all the basic chords. But i find problem in switching from one chord to another which are located apart. How should i practice to make it perfect?

Also, I identified all the chords for a particular song and can play the whole song. I learnt the song incrementally measure by measure.But, the notes move back and forth so much that i also forget the notes in the middle and my mind goes blank. How to make the song notes flow continuously without break.

Thanks guys
Venky

While it is hoped that the previous posts on this thread will be helpful to the OP, it is not clear to me what the problem may be when Venky writes : "problem in switching from one chord to another which are located apart." Are these adjacent chords or are they chords that are widely separated, one from the other?

The second problem can be best addressed by learning to read from the music while playing, and not looking at the hands; the mind should not go blank if you are constantly reading from the music. This may take some time to learn, depending upon the basic skills of the person in question.

Regards,

#2007708 - 01/01/13 10:19 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: gooddog]
Venky Offline

Thanks everyone for some good suggestions. Really appreciate it. smile
Looks like writing down the notes for the piece would help playing it without breaks until it goes into memory. Thanks gooddog, BDB and bruce.

@BruceD: Yeah, the chords are widely separated from one another (like 2 octaves apart and on different key note). I lift my hand and then keep searching. Mind gets preoccupied so much that i don't get enough time to quickly lookup the key to play it. Will write down the music on sheet to see if it speeds things up.

Thanks all! thumb
Venky

#2007741 - 01/01/13 11:56 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Venky
Thanks everyone for some good suggestions. Really appreciate it. smile
Looks like writing down the notes for the piece would help playing it without breaks until it goes into memory. Thanks gooddog, BDB and bruce.

@BruceD: Yeah, the chords are widely separated from one another (like 2 octaves apart and on different key note). I lift my hand and then keep searching. Mind gets preoccupied so much that i don't get enough time to quickly lookup the key to play it. Will write down the music on sheet to see if it speeds things up.

Thanks all! thumb
Venky

What sort of music are you referring to? If the music is not already written down and if you are just playing from memory - or by ear - then perhaps all you need to do is work more on your memory skills.

Regards,

#2008527 - 01/03/13 01:12 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: BruceD]
Venky Offline

Well there are some movie songs popular in my country(composition by oscar winner A.R.Rahman).

Do you mean memory skill in general or related to piano. If latter case, any suggestions?

#2008575 - 01/03/13 02:33 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
venky, try practicing major and minor chords in all keys with both hands through their inversions. you'll then see that in popular songs, many times chords move between inversions. for example C major root position (C E G) will move to F major 2nd inversion (C F A) without having to move your hands very much.

http://www.piano-lessons-made-simple.com/piano-chord-inversions.html

#2008655 - 01/03/13 05:29 PM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
jazzwee Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: So. California
In pop songs, you can pretty much expect that you pedal between chords so there's really no reason to be leaving your hands on the chord till the very last moment. There's time to move the hands.

Also combined with what Entheo said, often you switch inversions on chords so that you have better voice leading and less movement in progressions like I-IV-V or ii-V-I.

Of course as you get into more advanced tunes, then there will be lots of fast chord movements and so speed and control/accuracy will need to be eventually developed. But even when you have to jump, a little thinking (again of inversions) and you may be able to retain hand shape while you move.

You will eventually get there. At some point, without thinking, your hands can find any chord in any key, even with your eyes closed.

#2009347 - 01/05/13 09:10 AM Re: Please Advice on playing chords of any song [Re: Venky]
Venky Offline

Excellent guys. Finding the suitable inversions makes perfect sense. Thanks for the wonderful tips!!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
Today at 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
Today at 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Who's Online
74 registered (barbaram, AEMontoya, AZNpiano, aesop, 17 invisible), 770 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157554 Topics
2314208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission