2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yes, well, here is my rendition of "Suzy Snowflake," written by Sid Tepper and Roy Bennet in 1951, played on a period instrument, (*ahem*) a 1940 Lester spinet. whome

Suzy Snowflake

Or, you can watch the animated short.

Also, here is the 2001 Phillip Keveren arrangement of the 1941 "Snowfall" by Ruth and Claude Thornhill, played in 2012 on a period instrument, (*ahem*) a 1940 Lester spinet.

Snowfall

I have been having far too much fun at the piano this week! wink

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 12/21/12 12:36 AM. Reason: added a tune

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Andy, these are really two very nice additions to the burgeoning storehouse of Christmas arrangements. "Suzy Snowflake" was especially nostalgic -- haven't heard that one since I was a kid, but now that you posted it, I remember it vividly at Christmastime from the early to mid '50's. I've never heard "Snowfall" before, but Keveren provided a beautiful arrangement. Thanks for sharing this!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
The arrangement of Suzy Snowflake I played can be found in the Hal Leonard publication, "Santa's Greatest Hits," and says that the arrangement is copyright 1951 by Chappell & Co. Here is a little something about Suzy Snowflake from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzy_Snowflake

The "Snowfall" tune was new to me, too! I had no idea if I was playing that one "right," or not, but I fell in love with Keveren's arrangement. Here's what I found on YouTube this morning!:

Thanks for your comments, Tim! Glad I could send you back for moment! grin

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Went with my daughter yesterday, a cold, gray, midwestern winter afternoon, to "The Fabulous Fox" theater in St. Lou to see the musical Wicked. (Her Christmas present. Phenomenal production. Not the point of this story...)

We arrived a little early, before they opened the "house," and in the huge lobby area, heard happy, seasonal theater organ music surrounding us like a warm blanket. While I was taking in all of the ornateness of the room, I spotted the old guy at the organ, on the third level. I pointed him out to my daughter. We started to hear some tinkly chimes, and then, she was the first to catch it-- "Dad!," she said, "He's playing Suzy Snowflake!" And he was! laugh

The organ in the lobby is a Wurlitzer theater organ that was built sometime in the late 1920s for a theater in East St. Louis, and moved and refurbished when the Fox was renovated in the 80s. There is a little sitting area on the third level (2nd mezzanine?) where the organ is situated, so you can watch the guy play. I didn't take very good notes from the stanchion by the organ, (the organist's name was "Jim... something" (sorry!)) but the organ is a two manual deal with 11 ranks, plus a variety of sound effects, like kettle drums! Jim played quite a rendition of "Eye of the Tiger," too! grin

But mainly...

"Suzy Snowflake" lives!

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Andy, I watched at least part of the videos and found them very inferior to the renditions you played on the ML. I am continually amazed at the charm and depth of your performances, especially of pieces such as these. I don't always comment on your recordings, but I always listen to them! Thanks for posting!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
How *did* I know that if the title was Suzy Snowflake the pianist was Cinnamonbear? This was a real treat, just delightfully played. You have such a great touch for this - playful, with great phrasing. I love listening to your renditions because it informs the way I attempt to play pieces from the same era. Thanks so much for posting this.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Chris,
Thank you so much for your kind words! You are always in my imaginary audience when I go to record.

Cathy,
There's more where that came from! (Does "Baby Face" count?) Looking forward to your "G.I. Jive" whenever/wherever it appears! wink

Happy New Year!
--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission