Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2005957 - 12/29/12 10:18 AM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
It is an interesting set of responses. There are some demographic groups that would be more responsive to an interest in classical piano. Advertisers and marketing types know the ages, the zipcodes and other factors that might drive a higher level of interest.

Another factor is how talkative and friendly a person is. I tend to be a quiet person, but will occasionally open up conversations. Say it is 5% of all folks that have much interest in my hobby. If I talk to 20 people, one will be interested. For some folks, 20 might be a year's worth of talking to people, for another it might be two days worth.

Rarely do I get the zero interest response. However, it is common for the one question "are you taking lessons?" and then nothing more. Sometimes it is two questions, lessons and what kind of piano? More than two questions, usually means another musician or someone with a passion for music.

Another part of it is how much interest I might show in their hobby (say golf, or tennis, or ballroom dancing, none of which I participate in). If I am not interested in their stories, they tend not to be interested in mine.

A separate but related hobby of mine, is songwriting. There might be 5% of musicians that are active songwriters, so a fellow songwriter is a far scarcer find. That said, more folks might be interested in songwriting as a casual topic than classical piano.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2005986 - 12/29/12 11:34 AM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NY and NC
I guess I spend most of my sharing time on this website as I have found few of my circle want to hear about my piano life. When I was shopping for my piano, and after I found it, I was dying to tell anyone who would listen, but found polite listening and realized I was the only one who wanted to hear about this.

I have posted on here about my struggle to get a piano, teaching myself to read music and play, and so on. Hopefully someone enjoyed reading these posts. I know my friends wouldn't have.

I am married to someone who dislikes piano music, classical and jazz music in general, and really doesn't care much whether she hears music for weeks at a time. Fortunately, she indulges my interest and never made me feel guilty as I collected about 6000 cds of classical and jazz music. She also encouraged me to buy my almost-new Mason-Hamlin BB grand piano this year for a price higher than we paid for our house.

As long as I shut the door when I play, she is fine with it all. I wish she loved the music, but I am satisfied that she loves me.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

#2005998 - 12/29/12 11:48 AM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
Bob Newbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

6000 cds! I'd have a problem with that.. I copied all my cds(500)to mp3(192 bit rate)
I'm still reluctant to take them to the cd store and sell them..I'm glad I never
started a movie dvd collection.. its getting out of hand...
people can assess things about you by looking around your
living room, I recently had my roof done,and the roofing contractor looked around my living room and asked if i was a
professor(all my reference books) saw my piano and asked if
he could try it (played claire de lune)
and he cut me a break on the price of my roof... smile

Edited by Bob Newbie (12/29/12 11:57 AM)

#2006510 - 12/30/12 11:57 AM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: jotur]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur

Cebukid - maybe you just need a different work environment smile Join some of my clients laugh Or other places I've worked. There must be one that would be more responsive to your interests, since the work environments, from the sample here, seem to be pretty evenly split. Get looking!

Cathy

Hey Cathy, either that, or join a band like you. smile
I work mostly with engineers (all types), and generally, they don't have an appreciation or interest in the arts.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#2006694 - 12/30/12 06:57 PM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
There are a few people on the job that will ask occasionally. One guy even invited me to a piano recital at his church.....those kids where AMAZING! It would be nice to have a few close friends who shared my love for piano, but that has not happened! My wife prefers that I play when she is not home....which isn't a problem for me (I can do without the criticism, questions, and interruptions.)

I'm not to keen on the idea of public performances, so none of this is an issue for me. My piano "hobby" is very much a personal thing that I don't mind keeping to myself.......unless someone really want to hear me play!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#2007736 - 01/01/13 11:48 PM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I have been reading your stories and thought I'd respond. I am in education but there are a number of colleagues I work with who are musicians. It's interesting really. My boss plays at least six instruments but has never been classically trained. Another colleague of mine has been classically trained in piano but plays a lot of covers and other similar gigs. The only problem with discussing music is that we can go on for a while so it's not that productive at work. I also forgot to mention that my bosses, boss is also a classically trained musician. So, in short, I can discuss my interests with those I work with. Much of my information is gained from reading the posts from here though smile

#2007815 - 01/02/13 06:14 AM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: CebuKid]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: CebuKid
[quote=jotur]

Hey Cathy, either that, or join a band like you. smile
I work mostly with engineers (all types), and generally, they don't have an appreciation or interest in the arts.

Hi CebuKid, I'm an engineer myself, I work with a lot of them and I married one. A lot of them are interested in music, and play an instrument themselves (my husband plays saxophones, mainly tenor).
Other friends of mine - not engineers - don't care about my piano passion.
In general, in my experience, persons who play or have played care and like to share experiences, even if they play different kind of music (a colleague of mine plays guitar in a hard-rock band, I play only classical), others not (unless they really love you).

#2008156 - 01/02/13 06:56 PM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: torquenale]
kenjazz Offline

Loc: Massachussetts, USA
Originally Posted By: torquenale

Hi CebuKid, I'm an engineer myself, I work with a lot of them and I married one. A lot of them are interested in music, and play an instrument themselves (my husband plays saxophones, mainly tenor).

I would have to agree. All of the best Engineers have some background in the creative arts. I don't think I've ever met a good one one who didn't. In the days before computer science degrees were ubiquitous, we used to to filter technical resumes looking for musical background when looking for good candidates to train for computer engineering jobs. They always seemed to have the best prospects for success.

This has been a very interesting thread! My personal experience is that musical taste is so personal, that it is virtually impossible to find people in your real life that can share or even appreciate your passion. If you were singing Adele songs strumming acoustic guitar in your dorm room, you have a shot - but Classical and Jazz are just wildly unpopular in general.

The guy who finished our basement was a professional jazz guitarist and one of the original teachers at Berklee. He quit playing pretty much altogether because he just couldn't get anyone to listen. And he even had friends that he could get together with and play!

Interestingly, I've found that professional musicians are the absolute worst for appreciating amateur attempts at music. I guess it makes sense if you think about it as work for them. It would be like asking a Math teacher to correct your homework after a full day teaching. Not fun.

My take has been that through the magic of the internet, if you cast a wide enough net, you will find that handful of souls that are truly appreciative of what you are doing, and are in the same place that you are. It is a game of statistics. Of the billions of people on this earth, you can find the few that like your genre, style, sound, approach and dedication. The Pianoworld forums are awesome for this. Writing and posting to a blog is also great. I've found a few unexpected treasures this way from around the world.

I'll tell you one story... I posted a cover of "You Don't Know What Love Is" in 2011. My blog statistics told me that it was being downloaded 4-6 times a day for about four months in Bremen, Germany. I figured that it was one of those "bots" that will go around and automatically download stuff from the internet. I came to find out that it was a guy from University of Bremen who was going through a really bad breakup. The song struck him as providing just the right mood for his feelings, so he kept playing it!

Someone is out there for whom what you are creating is striking just the right chord....

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+

#2009523 - 01/05/13 03:47 PM Re: Any of you guys ever tell "your (piano) story" to someone? [Re: kenjazz]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kenjazz
Originally Posted By: torquenale

I would have to agree. All of the best Engineers have some background in the creative arts. I don't think I've ever met a good one one who didn't. In the days before computer science degrees were ubiquitous, we used to to filter technical resumes looking for musical background when looking for good candidates to train for computer engineering jobs. They always seemed to have the best prospects for success.

This has been a very interesting thread! My personal experience is that musical taste is so personal, that it is virtually impossible to find people in your real life that can share or even appreciate your passion. If you were singing Adele songs strumming acoustic guitar in your dorm room, you have a shot - but Classical and Jazz are just wildly unpopular in general.

The guy who finished our basement was a professional jazz guitarist and one of the original teachers at Berklee. He quit playing pretty much altogether because he just couldn't get anyone to listen. And he even had friends that he could get together with and play!

Interestingly, I've found that professional musicians are the absolute worst for appreciating amateur attempts at music. I guess it makes sense if you think about it as work for them. It would be like asking a Math teacher to correct your homework after a full day teaching. Not fun.

My take has been that through the magic of the internet, if you cast a wide enough net, you will find that handful of souls that are truly appreciative of what you are doing, and are in the same place that you are. It is a game of statistics. Of the billions of people on this earth, you can find the few that like your genre, style, sound, approach and dedication. The Pianoworld forums are awesome for this. Writing and posting to a blog is also great. I've found a few unexpected treasures this way from around the world.

I'll tell you one story... I posted a cover of "You Don't Know What Love Is" in 2011. My blog statistics told me that it was being downloaded 4-6 times a day for about four months in Bremen, Germany. I figured that it was one of those "bots" that will go around and automatically download stuff from the internet. I came to find out that it was a guy from University of Bremen who was going through a really bad breakup. The song struck him as providing just the right mood for his feelings, so he kept playing it!

Someone is out there for whom what you are creating is striking just the right chord....

Interesting comments, guys. I work for a very small company (making for a small pool or sample size), and yes, I'm a career engineer too. 2 of our engineers are active musicians, actually (drummers). I'm the only pianist there. smile

The reason I generalized is that most of the engineers I've dealt with eschew the "non-technical" - they complained about college coursework that wasn't math, science, or engineering related. Most of their outside interests involve home improving, fixing things, working on their cars, etc... I like to differentiate myself from them, because I do all that stuff too, but also, use my creative/artistic side.

I do agree that the majority of them had some type of childhood musical background which is why I'm a firm believer in the "math-music" connection. I think musical background somehow simulates the part of the brain that decodes patterns, shape, etc, and I know lots of you here are from the sciences too.

Anyway, great discussion and commentary.

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much Are Piano Lessons Usually
by Korsario
17 minutes 23 seconds ago
temperament setting in Casio PX-850
by Doritos Flavoured
40 minutes 27 seconds ago
VI Labs True Keys: From ilok to Hard Drive Activation
by imyself
Today at 10:46 AM
A REALLY Indirect Blow Action
by Steve Cohen
Today at 09:01 AM
Bone chilling ending to pieces
by lacrymosa85
Today at 08:44 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (ajames, 255, accordeur, 3times2, 39 invisible), 1480 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157603 Topics
2315001 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission