2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1840238 02/07/12 04:02 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'm not up on the latest and greatest piano software stuff but my friend sent me this. There's a pretty cool history connected with this D that was used in the sampling sessions. Also interesting reading about the vintage 49 mics, Studer tape machine and Neve console used. The demos at the bottom of the page sound good to me.

http://cinesamples.com/products/piano-in-blue/

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Their approach to the sampling process is interesting, too: Using a pianist who knows the piano and choosing by ear which timbre appears at each velocity level. The results sound good in the demo recordings.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The demos do sound interesting. However, I wonder if 8 layers are enough?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I didn't notice any velocity switching in the demo recordings, so maybe they've found that 8 layers gives them a good multisample.

It's strange and wonderful, to me, thinking about working with this piano--the same one that Kelly, Evans (and Davis during rehearsals) played. Being able to play the same note and hear the same sound that they would have heard? Sign me up.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 02/08/12 06:33 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
The thing I liked about it was the piano didn't have that "perfect" Ivory sound to it.

On "All the Things You Are", it's definitely channeling Bill just sitting there playing solo like on those old Riverside sides.

E
E
Thanks Dave for posting this. I am very impressed with the quality of samples that they were able to get in a relatively short time period. This particular Steinway D specimen is wonderful - it is what I think of in my mind when someone says "Steinway".

The harmonic spectrum of this vintage piano is unequaled in my opinion. Listen to the tenor notes usually played by the left hand below middle C - beautiful, full of character and color. And the melody notes usually in the right hand have richness, bite, but still sing at low volumes.

The sound of these demos (especially the d minor Bach prelude) reminds me of the Glenn Gould Steinway CD318 sound - rich, clear, singing, in-your-face when you want it to be, all with a colorful harmonic spectrum. Although this library doesn't have all the bells and whistles and a gazillion velocity layers, I think it sounds better than Ivory II, Vintage D, Black Grand, and Garritan.

That having been said, piano software is only as good as it plays - Let's see how this turns out. I hope it plays as well as it sounds! It will definitely be on my list of piano software to look for.

Thanks again for the link,
-Erich

P.S. Their Facebook page has direct links to more tracks:
http://www.facebook.com/cinesamples

Last edited by erichlof; 02/09/12 04:53 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Jake Jackson
I didn't notice any velocity switching in the demo recordings, so maybe they've found that 8 layers gives them a good multisample.

To be fair, I don't think you can hear any velocity switching in any software piano in a demo. I certainly can't. I'm doubtful about our ability to hear velocity switching in a demo track of even a regular 3 or 4 layer digital piano. You have to be able to play it or have a track designed for hearing layers, normally. At least I do.

I think this piano is interesting in that it has not just a vintage piano sound like Vintage D or PMI Old Lady, but the sound of a vintage recording (i.e., they used vintage equipment for recording and processing). No wonder it sounds like our conception of an American Steinway piano! It was recorded and processed the same way a lot of our recordings were.

I'll be interested to hear how well it plays as well, though without the nice features of like progressive pedal (as far as we know) and repedalling, and with only 8 layers I doubt it will end up actually being competitive with current top software pianos. I guess Galaxy Vintage D would be the one to compare against. Who knows how good the new Ivory American Steinway is, but if trends keep up, it could provide an outstanding vintage piano sound.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/09/12 10:38 PM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I like the Kontakt interface, too:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4794.130742004364&type=3&theater

(Found by following the link from Erichlof)

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 02/10/12 10:04 AM.
E
E
Hello
I would also be interested by this library
Did anyone try it?
The full version of Kontakt seems to be needed, that makes the overall price really high (if you don't own it)

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
You might like to hear it played well while comparing it to another Steinway plug-in, the 8dio 1928 Legacy Grand.

This is such a good arrangement of Over the Rainbow.

8dio Legacy Grand vs. Cinesamples Piano in Blue

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting comparison. The Cinesamples really came alive at the very end, when he dialed in the parameters unique to that plugin.

Just when I thought it was safe to NOT consider any additional software pianos . . .

An interesting video review of Cinesamples, which shows off the effect of adjusting the various parameters. Amazing how much the sound can be changed, with only a few simple controls.

Cinesamples Piano in Blue Review

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Sympathetic resonance seems to be a big omission. I was hoping they would have added it with the update.

Piano in Blue Manual (pdf format)

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I thought the Cinesamples Blue sounded better than I had ever heard it in the first portion of the comparison, myself. I am not fond of the style of music and sound Marius was targeting for the Blue in the final segment.

After viewing the video you attached I would have bought the PIB if it were on sale. After all of the sales from Black Friday through New Year's I am reluctant to pay full price just after the end of sale season.

There are other things that were not offered at a sale price that I would consider first just out of principle.

I will wait for the next ship and see if I feel the same about it then.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission