2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Hideki Matsui

I think they are working on a Wurly for NAMM... I'll definitely get one of those too.

Wow - I hope so - that would be amazing. If they are, I wonder whether they'll use the same kind of action - it's more complicated than a Rhodes action and I imagine it would be more expensive to make.

Greg.

P
P
I don't even keep a digital for piano or electric piano in the house anymore. There's nothing like the real thing:

Nice piano. I want to buy a fine grand one day too - but this is still apples and oranges.

If we compare apples to apples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9qJL7E8Yk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8ZiYCrjo8

Both pianos cost approximately same (the acoustic probably a little bit pricier), soundwise they are very similar (I probably like Yamaha more), the action is better on Yamaha, and it is way more convenient and does not require maintenance (except dust removal :))

Hope this explains why digitals are sold in proportion 75% to 25% to acoustic (not everyone will purchase a grand at double-digit-thousand range).

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
Originally Posted by peterws
To 10fingers.

This topic has become an argument between DPs and AP`s. That is not what I posted.

So the original post was "Does anybody prefer the Digital... to the real deal??"

I suppose to be fair, you didn't specify that 'Digital' refers to digital pianos, and you didn't define 'the real deal'; so was I being presumptuous in assuming you were inviting comparisons between digital and acoustic pianos?

Anyhow, I was just feeling churlish and I don't really wish to stifle good dialogue, although it really is a boring topic, since naturally some people prefer digitals over the real deal. OK, I'm done being snarkey, for now smile

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Why I otta.......

Seriously, I practiced on a wurlitzer upright piano and then left piano for 12 years.
College etc. etc. etc. I remembered how much I enjoyed playing and started back up again. Got a Technic Digital piano that is long over due to be replaced. If it weren't for the digital I wouldn't be able to practice. Funny thing is I had a customer
several years ago that invited be out to golf and then to his house for BBQ.
He is a Doctor and lives in country club area. He has a beautiful Yamaha Baby Grand
up on a balcony. I asked if I could tickle them a little bit. The sound was wonderful
and filled up the whole house. He was also shocked that I could play all the pop
music they had laying around the piano.
Sad thing is the piano is more for show as the whole family doesn't play. Eight in total in the house ( dad, mom, and six kids ) frown I would die for a set up like that, but it ain't going to happen. Best I get to do is play on the baby grand piano in
church.
My plan is to get the Casio PX-350 or simular for up-stairs in the office and replace the Techic the following year in the den.

My wife knows it is coming but laughs that I won't step foot in a piano dealer in fear
that I will fall in love with one and have to have it. I've been putting away B-day money and xmas money for the stage piano. Got that covered and will get it next month or two smile

I think a lot of us here would love a great acoustic, but our living area is better suited for a digital piano. I know mine is with two young children. I get to practice
at midnight without disturbing anyone in the house. My wife is jealous. She plays the flute and can't do that.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can't emulate a string orchestra or build my own sounds on an acoustic piano so yeah, I have much more use for digital instruments smile.

Les C Deal

P
P
Well... I prefer my MOx to the uprights on the conservatory... but the Grand on the amphitheater... oh dear... it's a Kawai Grand... 1,80m aprox... Don't know the model, but for sure it's a really good and regulated grand piano. Much more pleasing and fun to play than any digital one I ever played. But, anyway, it's expensive to have one of those in home. Just for who can afford it. So I have to prefer Digital Pianos. :X

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Majoring in Piano at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education Major at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo
P-515, P140 and DGX-670
Previously: Rönisch Upright, MOX8.
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
"Anyhow, I was just feeling churlish and I don't really wish to stifle good dialogue, although it really is a boring topic, since naturally some people prefer digitals over the real deal."

No worries, man. I don`t always explain things as I mean to. Sorry about that. But there is good dialogue here, and don`t forget, it`s all new to me! I have yet to find ONE who prefers the digital "piano copy" (did ya like that last bit?)

Last edited by peterws; 01/03/13 01:34 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
W
W
I think digitals have come a long way.

When I was young and learning piano, digitals were still new. They had 16 note polyphony and they sounded mediocre to bad at best.

Our family had one because we had such narrow hallways comming into the second floor, thats all that could fit.

Back then, there was no comparing digitals to any acoustic.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
"He has a beautiful Yamaha Baby Grand
up on a balcony. I asked if I could tickle them a little bit. The sound was wonderful and filled up the whole house."

I do wonder if I`m missing out on something here. Yet there`s nothing in our piano shop to interest me. Nothing at all although I`ve played plenty in the past . . and the latest digitals are sounding more like `em . . sort of . .

"[Linked Image]"
Wow. It seems you guys have never heard an acoustic piano.
I've never heard a digital piano sound like an decent acoustic. Not even close.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Almost everyone has heard recorded acoustic pianos through a variety of sound systems.

The sound heard directly from a contemporary digital piano (meaning, heard in the same room from the external or internal speakers of the digital piano) can get closer to that sound than an acoustic.

I realize this is not what people are expected to understand when thinking about the sounds heard directly from a physical acoustic piano in three-dimensional space (as opposed to recorded, processed and played through a sound system).

Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
Almost everyone has heard recorded acoustic pianos through a variety of sound systems.

The sound heard directly from a contemporary digital piano (meaning, heard in the same room from the external or internal speakers of the digital piano) can get closer to that sound than an acoustic.

I realize this is not what people are expected to understand when thinking about the sounds heard directly from a physical acoustic piano in three-dimensional space (as opposed to recorded, processed and played through a sound system).

What is your point, o0Ampy0o?

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
My point, for many people their experience of an acoustic piano is limited to recordings. Before I was interested in playing piano I did not absorb the experience when I was around an acoustic piano. My memory was predominantly filled with recorded pianos. The experience of a physical piano is foreign to many people so they have no such reference when evaluating digital pianos. Coupled with the improvements in digital piano technology people are conditioned to accept the digital representation. So to those with hands on experience of acoustic pianos it may seem absurd that people could like digital pianos as much as they often do.

Last edited by o0Ampy0o; 01/03/13 03:15 AM.
Originally Posted by peterws
I have yet to find ONE who prefers the digital "piano copy" (did ya like that last bit?)

I think it's about the connection between person and this exquisite thing called a really good piano. The sound is just one component of the experience; it's really a holistic thing, and if you haven't felt that, you need to get yourself to a good piano shop when there is no one around to mar your experience.

Whilst I appreciate my RD700NX, it doesn't come close even to my humble Yamaha U2 upright, in playing enjoyment. A really good DP sounds great and feels pretty good, but ultimately fails the 'connection' test.

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Personna. I love to hear the different renditions of this piece of music. On different instruments. . . including digitals that look nothing more than a plank of wood . .

Listen to this guy go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saof7FN_cwk

"[Linked Image]"
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
o0Ampy0o, you are absolutly right. I am almost never exposed to a good acoustic piano (besides in music stores), so I am mainly biased by what I hear in good quality from CD on my HiFi stereo system. And yes, my digital piano does not only reach to this sound but even tops it, because it much better fills the room (not only stereo, but much more 3D) while having AT LEAST a same beautiful tone.

Then, listening on youtube and sometimes even here in the pianoworld ABF to the many badly tuned acoustics, or listening to an odd acoustic in a music store which costs only the same as a very good digital piano, I of course am absolutly convinced that my digital is better, and thus perfect for me: sounds at least as good as CD recordings, and is better than any eaqually priced acoustic, it is maintenace free and always well tuned and adaptable to any volume I require at a certain day time. So, no reason to ask for more (at the moment :-) ).

peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
"So to those with hands on experience of acoustic pianos it may seem absurd that people could like digital pianos as much as they often do."

True. But they would maintain that people like me and thee haven`t enough hands on experience of the acoustic to appreciate. I would go further. Any piano being heard in an auditorium from a distance would sound nothing like you get sitting at it`s keyboard. Like rattly keys, the pianist swearing, farting . . . sneezing (its bound to happen) Don`t I lower the tone of this forum?

Last edited by peterws; 01/03/13 06:06 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Marco M - So right! What you hear is what you get. Recordings are the proof. You think like me. My digital sounds wonderful. It cost me £425 (it fell of the back of a lorry)

Last edited by peterws; 01/03/13 06:10 AM.

"[Linked Image]"
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have played APs for six decades. My current AP is a Kawai RX2 - wonderful instrument, somewhat reduced in enjoyment by the poor acoustics of my room. I have recently bought my first DP, a Kawai ES7. Reasons? May have to downsize and let the RX2 go, portability to play on occasions elsewhere than home, to record some of my repertoire before arthritis/senility/whatever sets in.

I haven't taken it out yet, still have the RX2, but have recorded a few pieces from the ES7 and I know which instrument I prefer for this: the ES7. No background noise, no fiddling with mic positions, no endless tweaking of the sound in Audacity (my mics are bass-light for a start). Just insert a memory stick, press record and hey presto, an MP3 file which just needs amplification and top and tailing in Audacity. I am still getting used to the touch of the ES7 but can contemplate life without the RX2. Yes, the RX2 gives me more, but the difference is much less than I expected. However, if the RX2 were in a larger/warmer room the differences would be more apparent.

I am concentrating on getting used to the ES7, so the RX2 is a bit redundant at the moment, but it will be interesting when I move on to playing either whenever I choose. Meanwhile the ES7 is very satisfying.

M
M
Originally Posted by personne
I don't even keep a digital for piano or electric piano in the house anymore. There's nothing like the real thing:

Nice piano. I want to buy a fine grand one day too - but this is still apples and oranges.

If we compare apples to apples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9qJL7E8Yk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq8ZiYCrjo8

Both pianos cost approximately same (the acoustic probably a little bit pricier), soundwise they are very similar (I probably like Yamaha more), the action is better on Yamaha, and it is way more convenient and does not require maintenance (except dust removal :))

Hope this explains why digitals are sold in proportion 75% to 25% to acoustic (not everyone will purchase a grand at double-digit-thousand range).

I can always pick out the sound of a digital vs. acoustic. There was a post on one of these forums once where they had several acoustics and digitals (about 6 in all I think) with the same person, same piece of music, and audio clips only, and we all had to guess which was which instrument. The digital was by far the easiest to pick out. To my ears, it sounds "dead", lacking in depth (this is NOT a criticism of the playing, btw wink ).

Purchasing a digital is far less a financial investment than a good acoustic, for sure. I recommend digitals to students who are in situations that require for space and sound concerns. But I always recommend getting a good acoustic above all else. Nothing beats the feel and sound - all other things being equal.

Having said that, I do own both. My Roland FP-7 has served me well with outdoor gigs, interim piano while I wait for my Yamaha G3 to be moved to FL from WI, and for fun with making recordings with Ivory. However, I would choose a good acoustic upright over it any day to teach on or play for my own enjoyment.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission