2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
how much time are you teachers taking off for this winter/Christmas/New Year's holiday?
two weeks? one week? Do you offer makeup lessons during this time?
Just curious. I am taking two weeks off, last week and this one, which I assumed was typical but some friends who are teachers are back this week teaching full steam ahead.

Piano Teacher
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Our studio is closed for 2 weeks. The rate is the full monthly rate. As a parent I don't mind. We pay a flat monthly rate so some months we have 4 lessons, on occasion 5. It all comes out in the wash. Her teacher did give her extra work so they can start off running.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I also take a two week break. Students need some "off" time just to recuperate from the Fall load they've had to deal with. And so do I!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My schedule:

Dec. 15 - last day of lessons
Dec. 17-19 - make up lessons
Dec. 20-Jan. 1 - vacation time
Jan. 2-Jan. 5 - make up lessons
Jan. 7 - lessons resume

I do some version of this every year - a longish break, during which I have some time set aside for makeup lessons.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I take the standard 2 weeks off for Christmas break. Then 1 week for Easter break, and 1 week for Thanksgiving. And I get a extra week off that I can choose whenever I like during the year (in case I'm sick or, as in this year, will combine with my Easter break when I take a trip to Italy in the spring).

Since the scheduled holidays are figured out at the beginning of the school year and parents know about them, they also know that tuition stays the same and that no makeups are given. (I do, however, sometimes use the holiday breaks to schedule extra lessons with certain students or make up any lessons that I might have missed)

Also, I like having the longer 2-week break at Christmas; everyone seems to need a break from all the Christmas music we focused on, and we jump right into new music and preparing for festivals, CM, Guild, and other spring events.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Usually I take two weeks off. I don't do makeup lessons during this time (or other times when the studio is closed).

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
M
I have the week of Thanksgiving for make-up lessons (I generally try to get them all in on one day) and then take the rest of the week off. This year I did take 3 weeks off for Christmas due to a singing engagement in WI, but generally I take 2 weeks or so, depending on the school days off. There are usually a few days after New Year's that I also use as make-up lessons. Then a week at the end of March for Spring Break. Usually in the summer I require 6 weeks only of lessons, and usually I give them about 8 weeks to choose from. The other 4 weeks are used for my continuing education and/or vacation.

Last edited by Morodiene; 01/04/13 09:36 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission