Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2008338 - 01/03/13 03:48 AM Some problems concerning my FP7F
wading Offline

Hello everyone. I have just started learning the piano. Due to the size of my compartment, I can only purchase a DP like FP7F for learning the piano but I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. The feeling of the keyboard is good, but it is a bit light when I compare to that of my piano teacher's upright piano. I am afraid I will develop bad finger skills and I may not get used to the touching of the grand piano during the exam. Does anyone knows how to adjust the settings inside FP7F so that it can be as realistic as possible when comparing to the acoustic piano? As a beginner, I only know how to adjust the "Key touch" but not other items. My setting is "Medium +8".

2. I am now learning how to use the damper pedal. But the feeling of stepping onto my piano teacher's upright piano's damper pedal is different from that of my DP-10 pedal. Therefore sometimes I cannot step onto and release the pedal
naturally. How is the feeling of the damper pedal in RPU-3 triple pedal? Is it better than DP-10 or just the same ? Should I buy RPU-3 to replace my DP-10?

Thx everyone.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#2008350 - 01/03/13 04:58 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
The key touch settings will adjust the tone response to the velocity of the key press. There is no adjustment that can be made that will affect the physical weight of the key. You will have to experiment further with the key touch setting, maybe 'heavy' +.

#2008362 - 01/03/13 05:32 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
mabraman Offline

Loc: Valencia, Spain
If the upright where you practice is on the heavy side...forgett about finding a similar DP. The all tend to imitate grands, not uprights. Anyway, you will need to be able to feel comfortable with any piano you play. Acoustics are not all the same, too.

#2008402 - 01/03/13 08:07 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You will not be able to make your piano be the same as your teacher's upright. As a previous poster said, you can adjust the setting to heavy, but it still won't be the same. This is something that every pianist has to learn to deal with - you have to be able to adjust your playing according to the instrument you're playing on at the moment. Your teacher understands this and knows that when every student comes in they are playing on a piano that is not like the one they practice on. I'm sure they take that into consideration when they hear you play and can tell when you're uncomfortable due to the piano feel and not because you didn't practice. smile

The same goes for the pedal, I would not try replacing it as long as it works. You may ask your teacher for advice on what adjustments you need to make because it does feel and sound different. The biggest thing is to use your ears when you are playing, and try to adjust the pedaling so it still sounds the same - not too muddy and not too dry. Pedaling should always be done with listening at the forefront rather than feel.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2008422 - 01/03/13 08:56 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
If you are looking for "heavy" action, try Yamaha GH action. Model P-155 for example.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2008475 - 01/03/13 11:00 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
ap55 Offline

Loc: Germany, Bremen
There are three things for the keys:
(1) fp7f action is a PHAIII action, which is the top level action of Roland, this action is towards a grand piano action, but nevertheless fails to return sufficiently the feeling of a modern grand piano action. Someone who has different experience may correct me, I only used to play on a couple of acoustic grand pianos, may be there are some acoustic grands having a similar action feeling like the PHAIII.
(2) If you worry to adopted wrong techniques as a beginner w.r.t the exercises on an digital piano, I agree, this can be a justified problem. In this case you can exclude Roland pianos with PHAIII action, it is quite different to an acoustic grand and upright piano actions. You will not be able to tune it by some electronic settings. Nevertheless the PHAIII is an excellent action w.r.t. other features.
(3) there is also a difference between acoustic upright and acoustic grand piano action. If you like a similar feeling close to an upright, you should go to a hybrid piano. The only one I know is the Yamaha NU1, providing an upright action in a digital piano. But this piano is more expensive.

#2008498 - 01/03/13 12:01 PM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
I can't answer much on here except for the RPU-3 pedal. I bought mine within a month or two after getting my board. It is closer to an acoustic. It has the same shape of pedals, same spacing and height and feels similar in weight.

I think it's a better option (plus you get a sustaino pedal!) I don't think it's the same as an acoustic but it's a close second. YMMV

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2008510 - 01/03/13 12:25 PM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
bennevis Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wading
Hello everyone. I have just started learning the piano. Due to the size of my compartment, I can only purchase a DP like FP7F for learning the piano but I have a couple of questions to ask.

1. The feeling of the keyboard is good, but it is a bit light when I compare to that of my piano teacher's upright piano. I am afraid I will develop bad finger skills and I may not get used to the touching of the grand piano during the exam. Does anyone knows how to adjust the settings inside FP7F so that it can be as realistic as possible when comparing to the acoustic piano? As a beginner, I only know how to adjust the "Key touch" but not other items. My setting is "Medium +8".

As a pianist, it's never too early to learn to adapt to different pianos - acoustics vary in their key action and feel quite a lot, even within the same model (I've played three different Steinway D concert grands in the same showroom which felt different to each other - they were prepped for different pianists' preferences). Assuming the FP7F has the same action as my V-Piano's (PHA-III), I found the action almost indistinguishable from that of a 7-foot Grotrian grand I played in a showroom once, which was quite different that of the 7-foot Shigeru Kawai grand that was beside it.

I learnt piano on Yamaha uprights, and it was a bit of a shock when I turned up for an exam once (as a teenager) and found myself faced with a 6-foot Bl├╝thner grand which felt so alien in its key action. It was my first encounter with a grand, and it was an important exam....
My last teacher had two grands, one of which was far heavier than the other. He insisted that during our lessons, I should spend the first half on one and the second half on the other, even though I much preferred the lighter one (I was practising on the university's Yamaha uprights then), and thought I played better on it. It all stood me in good stead for the future - I never have any problems adapting to any keyboard ever since (and I've played on a lot of acoustic pianos of all sizes and conditions as well as DPs).

#2009366 - 01/05/13 09:47 AM Re: Some problems concerning my FP7F [Re: wading]
wading Offline

thx for everyone 3hearts

All of the comments have encouraged me and provided me with a lot of useful ideas,so thanks for all of the comments.

I will practise hard because i love music heart

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (36251, Asmodeus, ando, Alux, 24 invisible), 1385 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153620 Topics
2251554 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of -
by cew0
04/21/14 06:38 AM
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission