2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
Originally Posted by WinsomeAllegretto
I don't know if this is super common or not, but I often play two notes that are right next to each other with the same finger. This is particularly when they are part of a large chord.

I think it is OK. I do that too with really huge chords because I have small hands. Occasionally I have even seen editions where they recommend this "trick" with huge chords.
I think this is more accurately described as the thumb on two notes. Are there any other specific examples of using another finger on two notes? Maybe very rarely the fifth finger on two notes, but I can't recall any specific examples.

Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Originally Posted by Ted
No true idiosyncrasies I am aware of. I tend to use whole hand positions, i. e. all five fingers working, instead of moving the hand to use the stronger fingers. This is probably a consequence of doing mostly improvisation, where time restriction prohibits devising the optimal solutions essential for playing pieces. This is laziness, not idiosyncrasy, and for me it doesn't matter that much anyway.

I guess this is the most common approach, choosing fingerings which are just based on the facility they allow. But sometimes people make fingering choices for artistic purposes - like Liszt using 2-4 for thirds, or at the end of Rachmaninoff's D minor etude from op.39, where the left hand ascending melody is played only with the thumb. I've never consciously picked a fingering for a purpose like that, though I'm interested if anybody else has done that before?
The Schnabel edition of the Beethoven Sonatas is supposedly filled with tons of examples of Schnabel choosing fingering that appears awkward to facilitate some musical idea. I think Beethoven did this in the fingering for a passage in one of his early Sonatas, perhaps the A major from Op. 2. It's a famous example because he rarely wrote any fingering in at all.

I think perhaps the notion that choosing a fingering for musical purposes is separate/opposite from choosing a fingering based on facility is incorrect. Assuming one is always wanting a passage to sound the best from a musical point of view, the example you gave of using only the thumb on a left hand passage might be the easiest fingering to achieve the musical idea.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't know if this is super common or not, but I often play two notes that are right next to each other with the same finger. This is particularly when they are part of a large chord.

I think it is OK. I do that too with really huge chords because I have small hands. Occasionally I have even seen editions where they recommend this "trick" with huge chords.
I think this is more accurately described as the thumb on two notes. Are there any other specific examples of using another finger on two notes? Maybe very rarely the fifth finger on two notes, but I can't recall any specific examples.

That sort of thing happens quite frequently in Ravel's music.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
See if you can spot it ;-)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, it's obviously varied depending on the situation, but I have noticed some habits. I too tend to use 1-5 for all octaves, unless the piece calls for a very legato approach. I also like to use the same finger on the repeated notes, but this usually occurs when the tempo is slow. For something like the Ravel Toccata, I would alternate.

I also don't usually like to divide things between my hands unless I have to. I have been learning the Prelude to Le Tombeau de Couperin and the edition I use has many parts fingered to split the melody between hands, and I found myself altering much of it (but still using some splits).

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I always change fingers on repeated notes unless it is impossible.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That sort of thing happens quite frequently in Ravel's music.

One of the hardest things for me in Jeux d'Eau was the fingering of the clusters of notes in the A Major theme that appears towards the beginning, and then towards the end but over more octaves. The fingering itself makes complete sense, but the execution is difficult because two clusters are played with 4-5 and 2-3 and the next with the thumb itself. I had a tough time keeping the 4-5 and 2-3 notes from separating.

Last edited by didyougethathing; 01/03/13 01:46 AM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon
I always change fingers on repeated notes unless it is impossible.

I can understand -and agree- in rapid passages, but in slowish music such as the F minor section from the Andante of the Mozart K330? Changing fingers in the left hand is counter-productive and the resultant thumping tends to challenge the melody above. IMO it is totally unnecessary to do so there. (It is a piece I know very well, and my piano teacher certainly never recommended it.)

Jason
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
In my right hand I trill better with 35 than 23. I don't know why.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Joel_W

Could be one of your fingers gets stuck in the "up" or "down" position, and isn't timed right with the other finger. Do you trill better with 13 and 24 than 23? That would be a strong indicator that it's a coordination issue. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'll change fingers on a couple of repeated notes in fast passage work, but if its a long string of them like in Appassionata (or if its a lyrical melody like in 4th Ballade) then I won't change.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

Could be one of your fingers gets stuck in the "up" or "down" position, and isn't timed right with the other finger. Do you trill better with 13 and 24 than 23? That would be a strong indicator that it's a coordination issue. smile

Well, it's not like I can't trill well with 23, but 35 seems more consistently obedient.

Originally Posted by debrucey
See if you can spot it ;-)

Ah, the D-flat at ms.130 (I felt like listening to your Appassionata -you did a very fine job). This reminds me of a most illustrious example of that gimmick.

Out of curiosity, why did you use the fist? I don't think it is of particular advantage there. In ABM's case I suspect it was merely for tone control.

Last edited by maxmila; 01/03/13 06:42 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Because I found it gave me the best balance of power and accuracy, that's all. I wouldn't say it was a gimmick, I wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a good reason.

You're right, "gimmick" was not the best choice of word. In fact I do believe that the relationship with the instrument is so individual that "if it works it is good" is the best philosophy to follow.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Derulux

Well, that's food for thought. I've always preferred trilling with non-adjacent fingers but I've never thought about why I avoid adjacent ones. I'm going to have to pay attention and see if you suggestion is the reason. Thanks!

Best regards,

Deborah
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
When the hand is stretched, I am almost always using 4 where everyone else uses 3, even though I can reach with 3. For example, chords that look like C Ab C (going up) are all done with 145. I also try to trill with 34 everywhere, because I can :P

Last edited by trigalg693; 01/03/13 06:36 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
K
There's this rising chromatic scale at the beginning of the recap of Beethoven's Waldstein sonata, first movement, that I finger as 4-5-4-5 a la Chopin...hahaha.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
There's this rising chromatic scale at the beginning of the recap of Beethoven's Waldstein sonata, first movement, that I finger as 4-5-4-5 a la Chopin...hahaha.

Glad I'm not the only crazy around laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission