2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 255 of 452 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 451 452

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
AnarKey, you will get there, I promise... just go through the difficult part very slowly (slower than you think), count out loud, and it will just click. I think this is one of the most difficult concepts for us beginners but once you get it everything becomes much easier.

You can also play each hand by itself while slapping your thigh with the other hand to count. That's really helpful.

And be careful with your thumbs... I have a habit of keeping them straight and tense and it's not good. Do your best to be aware of your fingers and keep them relaxed.

F
F
Hello all.

I am also a beginner, I am a self-taught renegade which I tried for about a year, before life took over and didn't have access to a piano for 4 years. I've just bought myself a digi piano and loving it. Trying to figure out all the pieces that muscle memory isn't bringing back wink I am thinking about getting a book like this, or a teacher to get me into the right habits, but will see.

AnarKey; I have had no teacher and have very little knowledge about this stuff, but there was one exercise I tried that helped with relaxation of my fingers and helped my mind be aware of it. I rested all my fingers on the keys and played them (like a C scale) without lifting my fingers off the surface of the keys (fingers all remain in contact with keys no matter what). It helped me to be mindful of what my fingers are doing, in terms of position in the air and tension (because the damn things picked up off the keys despite my mind trying to tell them to rest on the surface hehe), I don't know if this is correct or maybe this is the way one is supposed to play in the first place, but that did get my fingers loose.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
F
F
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
After watching to video I've started to play the note, then go back to a relaxed position, then play the next note. That is helping.

See this set of videos "Piano-ology: Piano Technique Fundamentals Video Series"
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21598D1259C2C8EE

It is nice to see new students here.

Finally I am starting to learn "Greensleeves" - page 130. I can play "The Stranger" but sometimes I have to look to the keyboard in the bigger jumps.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

A
A
Thanks to all for the tips and encouragement. As far as my thumb goes, it may or may not be a piano thing. I had a problem on the inductor side around the time I started playing which was most likely the result of non-piano activities. About a week later I noticed I had some soreness in the abductor side and playing does seem to aggravate it. That said, the problem itself may just be backlash from the original inductor issue. Obviously, it could also be the piano in which case the inductor/abductor pairing is a coincidence. But either way, I am paying attention to tension, etc. FWIW, I haven't notice anything different in how I use my L vs R thumb.

As far as the problem playing quarter note harmonies into half note melodies, that actually seems to be coming along. Playing s l o w l y did help as well as repetition of problematic measures. I think the real break through, though, was trying to keep my mind focused on the melody and letting the harmony sort of follow along. I was really shifting focus from hand to hand which seemed to make maintaining tempo nearly impossible. If I keep my focus on the melody and let the harmony hand just come along for the ride maintaining tempo is nearly effortless. Mentally, it was like I started out trying to read from two books at once and when I shifted focus I lost the thread. Now I've adjusted so it's sort of like reading one book but knowing I need to tap my foot each time I read a certain word.

TBH, I'm not sure if I am describing it clearly, but that's how it feels in my own little musical brain. It doesn't mean the harmony side always does what it is supposed to but when it doesn't that's a much easier problem to address.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
HA! I just figured it out! While holding my fingers in the proper position, if I tilt my wrist just a little to the left, I have no tension! (Thank you Bluoh for showing me proper positioning!)

K, whew, just had to shout that out. Back to regular programming!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
D
D
I just posted this in the DP/synth forum: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...t%20Alfred%20Publishin.html#Post2001458. Alfred distributes their midi files on Floppy disk!

It is completely bizarre to me that a company would distribute their product on a media that can't be used on the the vast majority of modern computers without any notice to the customer.

Dan.

Last edited by Dan Clark; 12/19/12 12:34 AM.

PIANO
Keybd: Kawai MP11
SW: PianoTeq 7
HW: Core i7-6700K; 32GB; (2) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i4

MUSIC COMPOSITION
Keybd: Native Inst KK S88 Mk II
DAW: Cubase
SW: PianoTeq 7; NI Komplete 13 Libs; Spitfire Libs; Audio Imperia Nucleus Libs
Proc: AMD 3970X; 128GB; (6) SSDs
Audio Int: FocusRite 2i2
Dan, mine is on CD. I guess if you email/call them, they might be able to replace it for you?

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
While holding my fingers in the proper position, if I tilt my wrist just a little to the left, I have no tension! (Thank you Bluoh for showing me proper positioning!)

The teacher for a couple of my friends' kids taught them to pay special attention to their hand "rotation". Here is a video clip showing how, I'm just amazed by the dynamics brought out by rotating their hands on a simple piece like this...

Faber Lesson Book 4/Beyer Op.101/Czerny Op. 599

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭
Self-studied Alfred Adult AIO Level 1; Faber Accelerated Lesson Book 2; Faber 3A/B
My Recordings
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am looking forward to contributing to this thread. Today is Day 1 (official start date). I have been messing around in the book for a few weeks so I expect the first several pages to fly by. I do plan to upload some pieces as I go along (I need to work on recording my snippets); and hopefully receive some constructive critique.

I also plan to use some of Alfred's supplemental books (All-Time Favorites and Greatest Hits). We shall see how it goes. If anyone has other suggestions I am eager to hear about them.

I will not be starting with a teacher (yes I know it is highly recommended to have a teacher). At the same time I do expect to start looking for a teacher in the near future. For several reasons a teacher is not practical right now.

So on to page 4, "Preliminary Exercises"

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Hi Scorpio! Welcome to the forum, and the Alfred's thread! Is piano your new year's resolution? smile If so, it's a good one. Good Luck!

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
F
F
Welcome Scorpio! In the supplemental books you have the page you should be in Alfred Book to start each piece.
You can also look those free web pages:
Theory
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html
Music
http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html
http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/printit_piano_sheet_music_index.htm
http://www.piano-play-it.com/free-piano-sheet-music.html

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

Finally finished the lesson session and am now learning Somewhere Over The Rainbow ...

That took 18 months ... about an hour a day study and practice ...

soon on to book two

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto and fliper - thank you for the warm welcome.

I love the links, brilliant. gmajormusictheory site looks terrific, I will be visiting often.

I have to watch my overzealous behavior, I can easily get distracted. I am trying to be very disciplined and focused in my studies.

[Linked Image]
Hello everyone. I'm on book 1 of Alfred's Basic book. I have a question about the song Little Brown Jug and wondering if someone can help. smile

In the forth measure, it goes Bb-E, Bb-E, Bb-D, and back to Bb-E. I use my thumb on the Bb and finger 4 on E, and finger 3 on D. What I find myself doing is playing the E or D by making contact with my finger to the key up where the black keys are. So I'm actually pressing the keys in between or next to the black key. Is this the correct way to do it? It seems I would have to turn my wrist to make contact with the D or E towards the front or away from the black key. Just don't want to learn any bad habits so asking.

H
H
Originally Posted by fliper
Welcome Scorpio! In the supplemental books you have the page you should be in Alfred Book to start each piece.
You can also look those free web pages:
Theory
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html
Music
http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html
http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/printit_piano_sheet_music_index.htm
http://www.piano-play-it.com/free-piano-sheet-music.html

Just wanted to say thank you!! I have JUST started to teach myself piano and am working through Alfred (im really near the beginning still) but im starting to get bored with mary had a little lamb and jingle bells already. So I came on here to ask if anyone knew what other music i could lay at various points throughout the alfred book, but can see that that third site you posted corresponds very well!!

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by KeysAngler; 01/03/13 09:33 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Trying to work out the kinks in recording. Not sure I like the quality of the piece, but I will work on that.

In any case, here's my first upload, "Jingle Bells", page 30 (in my book).

https://www.box.com/s/tt0tz6q5qutvp4rshagd

[Linked Image]
A
A
Scorpio: there's always time for Christmas songs laugh In fact, I just ordered a songbook. At least this year it will be here on time.

Your recording seems fine. Not nervous, no mistakes. It could be played it a bit louder; the score is marked as forte. Maybe also a tad slower. I'd have trouble breathing when singing along! You do slow down a little by the end. For dramatic effect? Actually, I just sang along and it seems to work just fine smile

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Allard for the comments. I am definitely having issues with recording. The input was very low, even though my recorded version on the DP was much louder. I think it may have something to do with my cable. I won't upload any more songs until I get it all figured out.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KeysAngler

Thank you for posting the link, if it was intended for me.

I take it that any portion of a given key can be used. I guess the idea is to minimize unnecessary wrist or finger movement so striking the white key up high between the black keys is fine.

Page 255 of 452 1 2 253 254 255 256 257 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission