Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 202 of 233 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 232 233 >
Topic Options
#2218594 - 01/22/14 02:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
So, yesterday's lesson was really interesting and I came away from it feeling very positive

Last week I had some problems and my focus for this week was to slow down, focus on more relaxation and better hand positioning. I found it very difficult and I felt that I'd taken a step backwards.
When I got to the lesson I started talking to my teacher about this and asking if he thought I could improve on this piece (or in the future)! I told him I felt unable to evaluate what was going one, which is different from my past experiences. I've generally been able to have a good feel for progress or lack of it!

We had a very long discussion about pieces starting off on the right/wrong foot, adult expectations and ambitions, when a piece takes you to the edge of what you can do "at this moment in time". We also talked about how when you start as a child you (generally speaking) take a long time to lay the foundations of technique...whereas adults tend to work though the early phases much more quickly ( in part because they can grasp the concepts more quickly, in part because they are physically able to manage better...in some ways)...

In the end I really felt so much better.
I know I started on the wrong foot for one of the movements of my Sonatina - - trying to pick up speed on it before I'd really nailed down the fingerings - but the rest of the problems all come down to not having a strong enough foundation of being relaxed and hand positions (in part due to problems during my last year with my previous teacher, and in part due to my inability to relax...)

I told him I felt I was unable to evaluate where I was going with this piece now, I can't feel that I am really going to be able to improve it much at this point in time.

He listened to me play and though I still flubbed, I refused to stop or even to back up and replay any bars, I just kept going - even at one point when I couldn't get the left hand to join in right away. He would have prefered that I not mess up, of course!, but he was REALLY complimentary about my ability to recover and keep rolling.

We have decided that this piece has served its purpose in teaching me certain things from a technical and study point of view, and yes, I've reached what I can do on it "at this moment". I'm not "giving up on it", I'm just moving on. Who knows, I may come back to it in the future.

I will do a little more work on the 3rd movment and use it for my recital piece in Feb - but as of today I'm no longer "officially" working on the piece.

My homework this week is scales and arpeggios to focus on the hand postitioning and relaxation I fight with - and to select 2 new pieces to start on next week. After working on the new pieces he wants to start me out on a new sonatina, and I will get of on the "right foot" this time!
whew.

For me, the most important thing is that I feel, sure, I hit a wall in making progress with this piece. However, I've got a much better grasp of how to start and proceed on the next one I take on, I am putting it aside with no ill-will and no sense of failure.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2218634 - 01/22/14 08:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Having fun focused on the repertoire. FOr me, more relaxation comes with familiarity and knowing what is coming. Yesterday I sounded pretty darn good. IMHO. Today less so but then I had 3 German Shepherd dogs all over me wanting attention. The Beethoven is really stretching my hands with all the chord work....less tension is a must. That piece rings in my head all day long which must mean I'm internalizing it.

This thread helps us keep our progress (or lack) in perspective. Thank you all for the encouragement. I love reading the day to day from each of you.

Love to learn

#2218641 - 01/22/14 08:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
For me, the most important thing is that I feel, sure, I hit a wall in making progress with this piece. However, I've got a much better grasp of how to start and proceed on the next one I take on, I am putting it aside with no ill-will and no sense of failure.

I know this has been a difficult chapter for you, so it's really nice to hear that it has come out on a positive note in the "end", which is of course not truly an end. Looking forward to hearing that 3rd movement on 2/15.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2218655 - 01/22/14 09:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Hi Cheryl,
I'm very happy that you have resolved this difficulty in your mind and are able to move on without any sense of "failure" to achieve what you wanted from it. Brava! smile

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2218659 - 01/22/14 09:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Oongawa]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
My AOTW was the purchase of a '69 Mason & Hamlin model A 5'8" which will be delivered tomorrow.

@Oongawa
I missed this somehow but WOW an M&H! I'm completely jealous. congratulations.

#2218712 - 01/22/14 11:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM

He listened to me play and though I still flubbed, I refused to stop or even to back up and replay any bars, I just kept going - even at one point when I couldn't get the left hand to join in right away. He would have prefered that I not mess up, of course!, but he was REALLY complimentary about my ability to recover and keep rolling.

This is major, n'est-ce pas? What a really great accomplishment. Now you can play at Carnegie Hall with an orchestra, because this is key. It's a hallmark of performance maturity, in my view. Talk about the right kind of focus. Very cool!

(And I know of someone who had to be asked to not play for dances because she just couldn't bring herself to do this laugh Poor kid frown Poor dancers!)

Sounds like a great teacher, too. But congratulations on getting thru a tough time in great shape. Nice job.

Cathy

#2218736 - 01/22/14 11:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, congratulations for getting rid of the piece wink
just kidding.

But sometimes it's healthy to move on after you reached a certain point.
Heck I have moved on many pieces even before I reached such stage. Nice to be an adult. I tell my teacher that I would have put up with the piece if I were young but I am OLD. The pieces I can play in my lifetime is limited at this "slow" pace of mastery (well no matter how mediocre that it!), I don't know how many more pieces I can learn. She usually gives in and give me a new piece.

It's good to take a step back to focus on techniques. My unsolicited suggestion is to select an achievable piece after the sonatina and ask him to give you predatory exercise for the piece and then tickle on the piece right from the beginning.

Beethoven's first sonata Op 2-1 I think it was F minor.. It starts with ascending ta ta ta ta ta- tata. It is beautiful and you will love learning it. It was my first sonata movement I ever learned in my life too. I think it's for many others as well. I recall how happy I was to play that after long years of Mr. Clementi Koulau, etc Probably I spelled them wrong..
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2218747 - 01/22/14 12:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Cathy - I so feel regret and remorse ever spelling your name incorrectly.

WiseBuff - good for you. It's nice to have fun. I have to create time to enjoy piano. I am in the process of reorganizing my life.

Everyone, I am not kidding you. Lately, I cannot find time to sleep. Not kidding you. Violin, choir, piano club, piano studio and good ol' piano practice on top of demanding job. I decided to not to go to Thursday piano studio and keep only Saturday ones. It was too much. Adding to my weekly lessons i felt like I go to school 3 hours every week for piano. Decided not to go to choir practice every week. We practice 3 hours a week (2 hours on Wed and 1 hour on Sunday before the church). It is too much. Also I decided not to practice violin more than 30 min a day. I was making rapid progress lately, so I even strained my arm..

Later
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2218808 - 01/22/14 01:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
FarmGirl, I do not know how you can keep up with it all! That is a pretty heavy schedule even without working full time!

It has been a couple of weeks since I last reported in, because, well, I did not have any achievements to report! My first two lessons back after Christmas break were mostly repair and rework. My poor sonatina has all kinds of new pencil marks of nuances that I missed. I have been playing the wrong notes in the grace notes in the Tchaikovsky ("oh that is a Bb not an A"), etc. The good news, at this point, I have fixed those problems.

However, what came out of my lesson today is: I am still not practicing slowly enough! I think my teacher is going to take me out and shoot me. I know this has been frustrating for her. My concept of slow and her concept of slow are clearly not in sync, and after today's lesson, I think I get it. And, she said NO METRONOME. She wants me to maintain a steady, very slow place with full relaxation and correct movement, from internal control. I cannot use the metronome as a crutch. I managed to do that in the lesson with the Joplin for the first time. It was difficult to slow down all the choreography at first, but it grew on me. So, my AOTW is getting on the same page as my teacher on "slow".

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2219187 - 01/22/14 11:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
In a similar vein to Casintaly I have released some pieces this week from my practice schedule and still am feeling good enough about it to call it an achievement. I seem to have settled on five or six new pieces on the go at once and some once memorized just stay very ordinary. Realizing they are still too hard for my level is probably the achievement. Sad as that maybe it leave more room for new pieces, so goodbye Merry Farmer, Vacation Time, The Old French Song & The Entertainer. Fur Elise your coats on a shaky nail (Scottish colloquialism) shape up or your next.

#2219288 - 01/23/14 07:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
"your coat's on a shaky nail" made me laugh Earlofmar. Sounds like you're moving along quite nicely.

Congrats on the new M&H piano Oongawa and I wish you the best of relationships with her. We spend more quality time with our pianos than with most anyone else so it's a relationship.

Farmgirl: your life is so packed full but I know you're doing things you love. Don't know yet if we're coming to Scottsdale for spring break. Either there or Santa Fe probably.

ATallGuy: it took me years to get comfortable practicing with my husband in the room. And it's never been that he's critical...my practice time is my intimate time with my music....I hate to share it with anyone. LOL.

Going to New York tomorrow for 2 nights unless the weather prevents the flight. I'll pack some music just in case I find a piano to play.

Love to learn

#2219312 - 01/23/14 08:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Rerun Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
"Tipitina" is finally pulling together a bit .... heard it played many ways. Professor Longhair is one tricky guy. Wish I had a pair of ears half as good as his. grin

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2219341 - 01/23/14 09:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
"your coat's on a shaky nail" made me laugh Earlofmar. Sounds like you're moving along quite nicely.

Congrats on the new M&H piano Oongawa and I wish you the best of relationships with her. We spend more quality time with our pianos than with most anyone else so it's a relationship.

Farmgirl: your life is so packed full but I know you're doing things you love. Don't know yet if we're coming to Scottsdale for spring break. Either there or Santa Fe probably.

ATallGuy: it took me years to get comfortable practicing with my husband in the room. And it's never been that he's critical...my practice time is my intimate time with my music....I hate to share it with anyone. LOL.

Going to New York tomorrow for 2 nights unless the weather prevents the flight. I'll pack some music just in case I find a piano to play.

Karen, love it if you can come to Scottsdale:)
We may go out to watch the game with you guys!

#2219345 - 01/23/14 09:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

SwissMS, it's interesting that your concept of slow and your teacher's concept of slow were not the same! Is she trying to tell you to internalize the rhythm? Good for you working on the areas need improvement. I too often miss those pencil marks.

Earlofmar, I like your positive attitude.

Rerun, sounds like you are making good progress.

I have Piano Club today. I have nothing quite ready to perform. If they are short on performers, I will do Diabelli's duet with my friend.

Have a happy day!

#2219836 - 01/24/14 02:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Happy birthday SwissMS - - may your day be filled with delights!

#2219838 - 01/24/14 03:00 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Thanks everyone, for all the encouragement.

One thing I am taking away from this piece is the fact that when I first started working on it I didn't think I'd be able to do some of the things that I actually CAN do now. This has happened several times since I started working with my new teacher..(Not so new now smile ) and I find it interesting. Start a new piece, feel intimidated, nail a tricky passage, intimidation fades. Of course that's not to say that the whole piece will necessarily come together...but the process is interesting.

FarmGirl, I listened to that Beethoven sonata - very pretty indeed! I've asked my teacher to pick the next one for me and he's going to bring a selection to the next lesson.

Cathy - yes, keeping going really did feel like an achievement. I used to play in a concert band and of course if you messed up you had to find your spot and pick it up ... the band didn't stop and wait for you ! So in a certain sense I've had practice doing it, but it is quite different when you're the only one playing. And it is also quite different because I haven't been doing this since I started piano, just recently. (Were you that poor girl who was asked to not play for dancers
frown )?

SwissMS- isn't it interesting that what we thing is SLOW just doesn't ever seem to be slow enough from the teacher's point of view? How many times have we talked about our difficulties in slowing down in this thread...and yet we all continue to have a challenge in this area!

Wisebuff - safe travels and watch that tension in your Beethoven! (Funny but the first time I tried a piece by Beethoven I ended up with terrible tension problems - one of the things that helped was dropping B for a bit and playing a jazz piece ! I'm not suggesting you do that, but I found it very interesting that the jazz kept tension away).

Earlofmar - I think it is always valuable to be able to evaluate where you are, and how a piece is working for you. I like shaky nail expression too smile

Rerun - nice to hear you are making progress on your Tipitina smile What a cute name for a piece.

FarmGirl - I don't know how you coordinate your days! I get tired just reading about what you are doing!
I think it is such great fun that your hubby is learning to play now too - that's really something special.

#2219899 - 01/24/14 08:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Happy Birthday SwissMS thumb

Edited by JimF (01/24/14 08:08 AM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2219901 - 01/24/14 08:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

SwissMS- isn't it interesting that what we thing is SLOW just doesn't ever seem to be slow enough from the teacher's point of view? How many times have we talked about our difficulties in slowing down in this thread...and yet we all continue to have a challenge in this area!

It's like eating vegetables.

It's helpful, but it's no fun and doesn't sound good, so I speed up without even thinking about it. I probably practice sufficiently slowly 10% of the time, at most.

Maybe I need to tape one of these to the piano right at eye level:

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2219915 - 01/24/14 08:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

This may not sound like an AOTW but it is in my mind. Slowing down is the hardest thing for me imaginable. I have given up trying to record CBTS for the moment because it is clearly not ready to be recorded yet and frustrates me.

I have given up practicing this hands separate and only doing hands together practice very, and I mean VERY slowly. A good guessimate would be about <70 for a quarter note. (FWIW I can play this EHA at 90) This piece has many 8ths that take me to ~140 which I can do at times and other times not. So... I can now play this through at this tempo (<70) consistently with few if any pauses or clunkers. I intend to practice in this way and hold out hope for FEB 15, if not, another recital or the Piano Bar or just post it somewhere for your dubious pleasure grin

I see this as a good achievement because I have learned this one without a teacher and started it the week I quit my lessons. I never expect to get anything close to a perfect recording but just something acceptable. Got a bit over two weeks so we'll see how it goes. smile

Edited by Ragdoll (01/24/14 08:35 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity of tempo

#2219921 - 01/24/14 08:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
"Slowly enough" is the speed at which there are no hesitations or fumbles.

When you fumble, despite an ultra-low speed, it indicates that you're either starting from the wrong hand position or taking an inefficient route to the next position. If you find the problem hard to self-analyze, that's what teachers are for!

#2219971 - 01/24/14 10:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Lots of achievements, as usual!

Happy Birthday SwissMS!!!!

jotur, rnaple, Stubbie, wimpian, UKIkarus, casinitaly and FarmGirl Thanks! Thanks for all the encouragement.
As far as I can know the documentary will be available on Internet, too. But I don't know when... maybe March?

eejake52 - Wow, one chapter per month? That's a good "rhythm" smile Congratulations!

Stubbie - Congrats with those... triplet-quintuplet-dotted eighth+sixteenth...

wimpiano - Good luck with your sight-read sessions! That's nice.

UKIkarus - This is real cool. Transposing the chords is a true achievement.

FarmGirl - Avatars: This is the greatest achievement I've ever read on this thread... Very good! LOL
How do you find time to visit PW...?

barbaram - Wow, so many achievemenst for only one week... Great!

casinitaly - Great! Great! I'm so hapy with your accomplishment. That's a very importante (for your future) and a huge AOTW. thumb

WiseBuff - Good point. A repertoire is fun and and helps concentration / focus. It acts as a guide.

Ragdoll - And the word of the week is: "SLOW". thumb

No AOTW for me. I've been really busy.
This week I played piano twice at home. I did a 10 minutes session on Tuesday, and a 15 miutes session yesterday. Good, isn't it????
Well, let's see..I was filming last Wednesday and I played a couple of pieces, but that doesn't count.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2220019 - 01/24/14 12:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Happy birthday, SwissMS!

Slow. Well, yes. The first week I was practising the oom-pah to play with fiddlers for dancing and tried it at speed it was a train wreck. So I kept reducing the tempo on the metronome until I could actually play it - and that turned out to be - bpm = 60. Just a little over half-tempo laugh And I played it a lot at slow tempos that week before the dance. And in the weeks that followed all of them started that slow, and that was after I had actually sussed out the chords and the progressions. The pay-off was a treat, tho smile

casinitaly - fortunately I was not the piano-player that would re-do the mistaken notes. Playing thru mistakes is a life-skill for me laugh Being a dancer, keeping the pulse going was really my first priority. Sometimes the dancers had to help by clapping when things were going to heck, and once in a great while the whole set of musicians would come to a stand-still, but mostly we kept right on chugging!

Cathy

#2220042 - 01/24/14 12:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Short answer to your question
When do I have time to check on the forum - mostly between 11:30pm to 12:30 am and any waiting time I found at work. I have to be on conference call a lot since I'm mostly virtual working with virtual teams across the globe. It has plus and minus. I mostly work 6:00 AM to 3:00 PM but I have to make myself available for odd time calls with India and UK. So I adjust my schedule accordingly. Like now UK and India teams workweek is over. It's NY lunchtime. So what I'm doing now? Eating my lunch and reading the forum.

#2220135 - 01/24/14 03:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
paul1971 Offline

My achievement of the last couple of weeks is cracking Alfred book ones 'the entertainer'. This will be my abf recital as it has pushed me to my current limits. The book only covers the first bit of the song and I just want to carry on and play the rest but no music = gutted :-(

#2220366 - 01/25/14 04:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: paul1971]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Thanks for the Birthday wishes everyone! My sweet husband gave me a week end trip to the Portofino area of the northern Italian coast to celebrate my birthday and we are loving the warmer weather! The hotel even has a little Bluthner grand that they let me play. So my MOYD is intact!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#2220370 - 01/25/14 04:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

TallGuy: I like vegetables. I don't like playing soooo slowly. Maybe I need one of those snail pics for my piano too.

Ragdoll, sounds like your persistence is starting to pay off -hand in there. What does EHA stand for?

Carlos, surely playing while being filmed counts???? smile

Cathy, glad it wasn't you! smile Keep on chugging !

FarmGirl, I don't think I'd like your hours!

Paul- looking forward to hearing your Entertainer in a few weeks!

SwissMS - sounds like a great weekend! And how great that the hotel has a piano. If you don't get to play it tomorrow morning I have a suggestion for you smile

#2220416 - 01/25/14 07:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll, sounds like your persistence is starting to pay off -hand in there. What does EHA stand for?

Oh sorry Cheryl, I thought it was a common term. My teacher used to write this acronym in my notebook to indicate she wanted me to practice Each Hand Alone (and faster) or BHT Both Hands Together. Other times she'd say HS or HT but never wrote these terms in my book. <shrug> I guess it was just her thing and it stuck in my head.

Yes, I think the consistent SLOW practice hands together is helping a lot with my progress on this. I also think that by doing this EHA at a faster tempo made me want to do it at this tempo during practice with both hands. bah That's why I have given up the separate hand practice for awhile.

#2220476 - 01/25/14 09:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

SwissMS, belated happy birthday to you. Delicious cakes must be available in Swiss. Enjoy!

#2220798 - 01/25/14 10:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
A belated happy birthday to SwissMs. The comments from your teacher help keep us all humble. You are one of the most accomplished pianists on this beginners section and yet still are getting those kind of comments from your teacher.

Week 98: practice is still sporadic. I make minor progress on the cover of Colder Weather. It will likely be spring before I am ready to play it, after the song title loses its immediacy. I spend some time transcribing Tracks in the Snow and also try some recording. On my Casio PX150, the recorder flashes red on two LEDs when running. Covering the flashing red lights helps a bit.

It takes me three days to produce a basic score. Looking at the transcribed sheet music brings mixed emotions. On the one hand, it is a measure of how far I have traveled on my piano journey in 23 months. I am writing, playing, recording and notating original piano music. On the other side, the dots and lines look so simple, so beginner-ish. Ah well, I am still a low level beginner. I am progressing, however slow the progress may seem. Notating and recording yet another original piece of piano music is another mile marker on my journey.

I am getting a bit more comfortable using the MIDI interface and MuseScore. It is still clumsy for me, but better than it used to be. Like almost all computer programs, if I worked with MuseScore every day, I'm sure I would get a lot better at it. Sometimes I wish I was musically inspired like some others on the forum seem to be. Tracks in the Snow, did not feel inspired, not one riff, not one musical phrase. It was mostly the product of hitting piano keys for hours on end, until something sounded interesting enough to keep. The title came after the piece was near finished.

For the Mozart Cousera I catch up on watching the video lessons. I can't play most of what the instructor is showing us now, so it is theoretical. I sometimes just listen to the audio and wait for interesting sounding music to come on and then go back to paying attention. I will start another Coursera next week on Songwriting with lyrics. Perhaps I will actually do those assignments. The Mozart assignments felt like too much for me in terms of cost vs. benefit.

Welcome to the new folks. Have a good week everyone.

#2220871 - 01/26/14 03:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

It was a busy and good day. I went t to the college for the Studio class and lesson afterwards. In the evening I went to opera.

In the studio, played both Chopin Nocturne and Bach prelude for the class mates. My teacher told me that Bach got a lot smoother but I needed to fix tempo. This was the first time playing through the nocturne in front of others. It was not musical and hit lots of wrong notes on the last page.

During the lesson, we addressed those weaknesses.

For Bach - I need to use metronome (she discovered that I neglected it). Whenever there are trills in either hand, i tend to hurry those 16th notes. I told her that i would fix them at home but she insisted that I fix them during the lesson, well at least one time, saying "You have to show me that you could do this". She was happy that I brought up certain melodies and cool counter melodies. She like the way I brought up the counter melody in my left hand and connected it to deceptive cadence and took a tiny pose before next notes. She also agreed with me adding some additional trills in the second page where there is none. Since the first page has lots of trills and mordants, iMO it called for a couple more trills towards the end.

For Chopin - we discussed how to rubato it effectively and added more dynamics. I will see how i can shape this up this week.

Have a happy piano week!

Page 202 of 233 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 204 ... 232 233 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
09/17/14 07:57 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (aesop, AndreiN, Anticlock, anotherscott, 25 invisible), 990 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157597 Topics
2314848 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission