2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Slight understatement here, eh? smile
Originally Posted by pv88
Let me add that none of us here would probably ever have the natural playing ability of Martha Argerich.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Except for our friend Dr Popper. I distinctly remember him saying he could play anything ;^)

Just by the way, does anyone know much about Seiler's "super magnetic" upright action? Does it perhaps provide something akin to double-escapement, or is it just very fast for normal full-stroke repeats?

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 01/04/13 09:34 AM.
K
K
Originally Posted by ando
I would say get the Kawai K3. It offers a real experience that digitals can't match. The action is fine for all but the most demanding classical repertoire. The DP industry likes to exaggerate the performance of its grand piano actions. They make it sound like a new upright action is terrible. This is not true! A K3 action will feel more real than any of the current DP actions, with the possible exception of the AG. But the K3 also offers much more connection to the sound than the AG - because it is directly making the sound, not triggering recordings.

+1

A Kawai K3 (or something equivalent from other brand) is a very nice and enjoyable piano... digitals are also nice, specially because are portable and can be played at night with headphones, but if I had to choose one and only one... I would keep my upright without hesitation. Luckily I can enjoy both and get the best from both worlds smile

Regards,
Kurt.-

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
What worries me about uprights actions is the possibility that it ends being a handicap for technique development. Not because it's not possible to play well when you already have the technique, but because it could be a too big step for acquiring it when you don't have it. So I don't want a particularly heavy action, just one that eases the way while being realistic enough.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. There are many very accomplished pianists who practice almost exclusively on uprights. It's what most people have historically had in their homes. I think even the best digitals are not better from a technique developement perspective than a good upright. They may repeat better, but then they fail in other, possibly more important ways.

The reasons to get a digital instead of an acoustic are price, portability, headphone play, easy recording, and alternative voices. Not technique development.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/04/13 11:38 AM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
What worries me about uprights actions is the possibility that it ends being a handicap for technique development. Not because it's not possible to play well when you already have the technique, but because it could be a too big step for acquiring it when you don't have it. So I don't want a particularly heavy action, just one that eases the way while being realistic enough.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. There are many very accomplished pianists who practice almost exclusively on uprights. It's what most people have historically had in their homes. I think even the best digitals are not better from a technique developement perspective than a good upright. They may repeat better, but then they fail in other, possibly more important ways.

The reasons to get a digital instead of an acoustic are price, portability, headphone play, easy recording, and alternative voices. Not technique development.

+1. Seriously Carlos, you are not going to reach any limit in your development with a K3, unless you put in a great deal of practice and reach a very high standard indeed. Not to be negative, but as an adult beginner, it's unlikely you will reach that point - and if you did, you will have outgrown every digital on the planet too. You will benefit enormously from learning touch and tone with real strings and hammers. Classical music needs that sort of subtlety.

A humble upright in action. Yamaha, similar size to K3:

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wonder how much credit must go to his tuner/technician. I am amazed with the sound and speed he achieves on that little upright!

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by gvfarns

+1. Seriously Carlos, you are not going to reach any limit in your development with a K3, unless you put in a great deal of practice and reach a very high standard indeed. Not to be negative, but as an adult beginner, it's unlikely you will reach that point - and if you did, you will have outgrown every digital on the planet too. You will benefit enormously from learning touch and tone with real strings and hammers. Classical music needs that sort of subtlety.

A humble upright in action. Yamaha, similar size to K3:

Thanks for all your comments and those interesting videos.

I suspect there are lots of advanced movements or techniques (for lack of a better word) that advanced pianists use that I don't even know exists. For example, recently I learned in this very forum about undampened trills and I was shocked because it was a sound I couldn't produce before and I thought it wasn't a technical issue but a problem with my piano samples. So I'm wondering what else I don't know that I should to properly judge the convenience of a piano.

I think I need to let all that info settle down, practice more and then go to a store and try my alternatives. smile

Carlos

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Vid
I wonder how much credit must go to his tuner/technician. I am amazed with the sound and speed he achieves on that little upright!

It's a silent Yamaha and you are hearing the digital piano part I'm afraid. Shows what the action can do though.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
EssBrace: very interesting - I did actually think that it sounded more like a grand - I was impressed! (and FOOLED - I didn't pick that it was a digital sound!)

Greg.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
If anyone doesn't think that the Kawai CA95 isn't good for fast repetitions, I did a short demo here, to illustrate:

[Playing starts after 13 seconds of silence]

https://www.box.com/s/i64fikl09xstp6iihox0

The CA95 has a heavy action, although the player has to do the work.

C
OP Offline
C
If anyone doesn't think that the Kawai CA95 isn't good for fast repetitions, I did a short demo here, to illustrate:

[Playing starts after 13 seconds of silence]

https://www.box.com/s/i64fikl09xstp6iihox0

The CA95 has a heavy action, although the player has to do the work.

Interesting. Were you using just one hand or both alternating fingers?

Carlos

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

Carlos

@Carlos,

Two hands combined, with one finger from each hand.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

Carlos

@Carlos,

Two hands combined, with one finger from each hand.

Oh, I was under mistaken impression that you were doing one-handed repeats, like 123123 etc. Now I'm less clear about how easy fast repeats are on the CA95. I can do two-handed repeats at the same speed on my upright U3 - the only difference is, the dampers touch down in between and make it sound a bit staccato. It's when you have to do one handed shallow repeats that really tests an actions repeating capability, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission