2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
I tune pianos in and around Dolgeville, New York, as that is part of my service area. I live about 30 minutes from Dolgeville. It's a beautiful area!

Anyway...this is purely anecdotal, but I'll still tell it. I once tuned an early 1970's Steinway "M" grand about 15 miles outside of Dolgeville. The owner, who bought the piano new, told me that "he" was told the soundboard was a North Hudson soundboard.

Oh, well, if a salesperson said so....

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
… In earlier times that was the mindset; the scorched earth policy of unlimited resources has us where we are today.

Hasn’t changed all that much. At least not in the United States and Canada. We’re still cutting the trees about as fast as we can. We’re now into maximum fiber yield timber management.

Just a few years ago I asked the president of a soundboard lumber processing and manufacturing company if they were doing anything to replenish the supply of spruce as they were using up the Northwest’s—that is the northwest part of the U.S.—remaining old-growth spruce timber resources. He said “no, we aren’t.” I asked if he was concerned that they would run out of spruce trees of a grade suitable for making piano soundboards. He said, “Nope, it’s not my problem; we won’t be running out in my lifetime.”

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Edna Ferber wrote about those practices in one of her epics, Come and Get It.

Semipro Tech
N
N
They may not run out but the quality of the boards have changed. The widths used to be 24 inches plus and now if they are lucky they will get a clear width of 8 inches... maybe.

Plus they may not run out of wood in their lifetime but they have a new kid on the block and that kid is CITES. The CITES treaty folks who are somehow linked to homeland security. I only know about them after a client of mine tried to get her piano shipped to the US from Canada and did not have documentation on the wood ( broad leaf Mahogany) and animal species of Ivory it was constructed from. So it was denied at entry for now.

I have since had my raw materials documented and those inspectors really took a hard look at my antique wood in stock especially Rosewood. Including taking samples, so I would imagine that sooner or later heavy duty permitting will be involved driving up costs of instruments, not just pianos.

J C
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
since 1918
Lascassas TN

D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nash. Piano Rescue
They may not run out but the quality of the boards have changed. The widths used to be 24 inches plus and now if they are lucky they will get a clear width of 8 inches... maybe.

Plus they may not run out of wood in their lifetime but they have a new kid on the block and that kid is CITES. The CITES treaty folks who are somehow linked to homeland security. I only know about them after a client of mine tried to get her piano shipped to the US from Canada and did not have documentation on the wood ( broad leaf Mahogany) and animal species of Ivory it was constructed from. So it was denied at entry for now.

I have since had my raw materials documented and those inspectors really took a hard look at my antique wood in stock especially Rosewood. Including taking samples, so I would imagine that sooner or later heavy duty permitting will be involved driving up costs of instruments, not just pianos.

CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is primarily concerned with protecting species of plants and animals that are already endangered and are already protected by laws in the individual countries that are participants in the CITES treaty. It does not—yet—cover trees like the various spruces from which piano soundboard panels are made. And they probably never will be covered because spruce forests can be easily regenerated. Indeed, where I live—in the northwestern part of the U.S.—plantations of spruce trees grow like weeds! As long as they receive lots of water and adequate sunlight they grow very fast.

Unfortunately this fast growth negates their value as piano soundboard wood. The Sitka spruce trees that were used to make those wonderful soundboards of yesterday were grown over hundreds of years in old-growth forests. And those have pretty much been destroyed over the past century. But, since the trees do grow and are not endangered they will probably never be covered by any restrictions on their harvest. Unfortunately for us Earth will probably never again see those incredible old-growth forests.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
ddfandrich@gmail.com

B
BDB Offline
B
Well, it depends on who survives longer, people or trees. I would bet on trees.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, I can't help myself. BDB, you are the most annoying poster.

A proclaimed semi-pro tech. Obviously a pro who will not reveal his identity, on the pretence that his investments allow him to be quietly anonymous. And then naming the famous musicians for whom he has worked.

Every once in a while you have something valuable to say, the rest of the time you are just being a smart Aleck.

This seems to occur more often when Mr. Fandrich graces us with his wisdom and experience.

I would not mind calling you Mr. BDB, if I knew your name, but geez, in the meantime, please refrain.

Back in my lurker mode I am.

Regards.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
BDB Offline
B
It is odd, because I absolutely agree with Mr. Fandrich on this issue. It is only a question of degree. If people use up material until there is not enough to support them, there is a good chance that the human population will plummet enough so that regenerative materials can come back. There is the possibility that people will use up all of the material so that it can never come back, but plants are pretty tough. Earth may see old-growth forests again. People may not.

Semipro Tech
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Steinway can supply the history as far as year of manufacture, delivery date, original owner, and style and original finish. The only thing you need is the SN. The charge is $25.00 and you receive a very nice presentation. As a Steinway owner, you are entitled to receive a free subscription to the S&S Magazine.

Minnesota Marty, Are you saying that requesting the $25 history on my second-hand Steinway also puts me on the biannual S&S owners magazine mailing list? Or, what would one need to do to get it (other than buy a new one)?

Thanks,

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
phacke,

The S&S magazine is a courtesy to all owners of Steinway pianos. You don't need to be a new purchaser to receive the magazine. As far as I know, you don't even need to obtain the history of your piano to get the subscription. Though, I'm glad that I obtained the construction history and original sale info for all three of my pianos.

Give a call to Steinway and they will transfer you to the proper people to make your requests.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
P

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for the advice Marty!
Best regards,

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission