2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2008805 01/04/13 01:41 AM
B
OP Offline
B
...of what to learn next? I had a lot of stuff going on for the past 8 or so months. Didn't play nearly as much as I would have liked to. I didn't even finish last year's New Year's resolution which was to learn three "full-length" piano compositions front-to-back. I made it through 2.75 pieces bah Well this year I am coming back with a vengeance and am setting a goal of 5.

Which leads me to the purpose of the post... I am fresh out of ideas for stuff to learn. It has been so long since I have explored this hobby. What are you all working on, or wanting to begin? What have you heard lately that you have enjoyed?

Generally I like playing classical or neoclassical. Another genre I have enjoyed listening to in the past is video game music, especially Final Fantasy. I am not much of a gamer, so I wouldn't know where to begin.

Feel free to post other genres, though, as I am sure there are other members looking for new stuff who may have a taste different than my own.

Nick
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The ABF recital index is a wealth of information on what the folks on the forum like to play:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I'm sure you'll get some ideas from the many recital lists.

B
OP Offline
B
Oh wow I didn't realize somebody had indexed all the recitals like that. Shows how long I've been away grin That is a great resource, thanks for the link.

Nick
A
A
Since you mention Final Fantasy, you're probably already familiar with the Piano Collections, but I hope it is worth mentioning. The books are quite affordable and reasonably varied. I have no idea how advanced you are; some of the pieces are very difficult (and far out of my reach!)

The one from Final Fantasy X has popular pieces like To Zanarkand and Via Purifico. Final Fantasy IX has a few beauties in Eternal Harvest (fast piece, sounds much better than in the OST), well-known Vamo Alla Flamenco, Roses of May, Melodies of Life, and the evil The Final Battle. There is a relatively new book, Final Fantasy Piano Opera, with new arrangements from various titles.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That link is fantastic. I was looking for December's recital yesterday but could not find it. Great to have the link. Is there a place on PianoWorld.com where the link is located, or do I have to bookmark the page? Maybe there are other links I am missing. Thank you Sand Tiger!

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by scorpio
That link is fantastic. I was looking for December's recital yesterday but could not find it. Great to have the link. Is there a place on PianoWorld.com where the link is located, or do I have to bookmark the page? Maybe there are other links I am missing. Thank you Sand Tiger!

The correct place would beThe link is in the "Important Topics Post" near the top of the forum page. That hasn't been updated for a while though. Moderators - can you make that happen?

Last edited by Andy Platt; 01/04/13 10:42 AM. Reason: It was pointed out the link is there.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Andy. The link is on that page, "ABF Quarterly Recitals"

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by scorpio
Thank you Andy. The link is on that page, "ABF Quarterly Recitals"
Ooops, didn't see it there when I looked! blush

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
beechcraft,

It would be easier to make suggestions if you told us what last year's pieces were.

eg.. Do you favor slow, dark and brooding, or bright and upbeat with some pep?

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
None of the tunes I have played in the past reflect my current playing abilities and noodling skills. Since a lot of time has been spent just trying to discover these beautiful tunes to begin with, and since I really love the melodies in them, a good solution to the "what to play next" problem is to simply play your older stuff all over again. Possibly in a completely different way.

Sometimes I'll take a piece I can play and turn the rhythm into a waltz type of beat just for the fun of it. It can actually change the entire sound of the tune as well as open up all kinds of new avenues to musically explore.

Music is NOT the fashionable ensemble that can only be worn once. Come to think of it, depending on how you approach it, you can really squeeze your moneys worth out of a tune if you keep changing it up all the time; not to mention the improvising skills you are acquiring in the process!

Don't toss the old stuff but rather re-learn it and make it even better the second time around.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by JimF
beechcraft,

It would be easier to make suggestions if you told us what last year's pieces were.

eg.. Do you favor slow, dark and brooding, or bright and upbeat with some pep?

I do enjoy the dark, brooding type music. I have attempted some Chopin, the two I have recorded are Raindrop Prelude (which I play different now than how when I recorded) and Waltz/Amin. I'll put YT link @ bottom. The last thing I learned, which I never recorded, was called 'Finn McCool' by Michelle McLaughlin. I have barely touched the keys in months, so I won't be able to tackle any Chopin again for a while.

I may have to look for that FF book someone above mentioned.

YT channel Not much in there, honestly lol.

Nick
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When ready for some more Chopin, both the b-minor and e-minor preludes (#28-6, 28-4) are similar in difficulty to your A- minor waltz. Both have that dark quality.

For something a little less challenging than the Chopin you might like Khatchaturian' s Ivan Sings, which is part of a suite of Ivan pieces. It has interesting harmonies and rhythms.

Ravel's 1913 Prelude in G has somewhat dark, other-worldly harmonics, interesting rhythm and a nice mix of challenges with arpeggios and octaves.

Good luck. There's a ton of great pieces out there to be discovered.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission