Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2006667 - 12/30/12 05:58 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Johan B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
I could sing and did.....many years ago.

I teached choirs and classes melodies by singing solo and they repeat.....but that's long ago....Let's say 1980.....

Nowadays.......singing...only in the bathroom and only sometimes......

Best regards,
Johan B

Currently working on:Sonaten of Haydn/Mozart, Suites Bach/Hndel, Sonate pathetique Beethoven
'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2007094 - 12/31/12 02:44 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Johan B]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: california
Originally Posted By: Johan B
I could sing and did.....many years ago.

I teached choirs and classes melodies by singing solo and they repeat.....but that's long ago....Let's say 1980.....

Nowadays.......singing...only in the bathroom and only sometimes......

I could sing and did sing many years ago in my church and highschool choruses, and was good enough to get cast in some major parts in musicals in college. After pretty much stopping for more than two decades, however, I really had to work to begin to recover the ability to give a credible performance. Its been a struggle and I know I still have a lot more work to do, but I think its been worth it, since it's helped me to understand more easily and precisely written music and to enter more deeply into the process of creating piano voicings and embellishments for my own arrangements.

With such an extensive background, how come you gave it up so young? People sing into their seventies, sometimes eighties. Case in point:

#2007179 - 12/31/12 06:56 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Starr Keys]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Thanks Starr Keys!! Isn't Alberta Hunter amazing? I find her inspiring.

BTW, I also had voice lessons, sang in choral groups in high school and college. I haven't got a solo voice. However, I can read music because my piano studies, and I can stay in tune. This was good enough to get me into concert choir and varsity chorus.

I was really tempted earlier this year to accept my teacher's invitation to join a community choral group. It was really hard to turn it down. I truly enjoyed singing in choral groups. However, I had to decline. I've at least learned to keep my priorities clear because I have limited time, and the piano is my number one music priority. smile

Edited by griffin2417 (12/31/12 07:09 PM)

#2007299 - 01/01/13 01:34 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: griffin2417]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: griffin
Thanks Starr Keys!! Isn't Alberta Hunter amazing? I find her inspiring.

BTW, I also had voice lessons, sang in choral groups in high school and college. I haven't got a solo voice. However, I can read music because my piano studies, and I can stay in tune. This was good enough to get me into concert choir and varsity chorus.

I was really tempted earlier this year to accept my teacher's invitation to join a community choral group. It was really hard to turn it down. I truly enjoyed singing in choral groups. However, I had to decline. I've at least learned to keep my priorities clear because I have limited time, and the piano is my number one music priority.

Yes, I actually think she's improved with age. Here she is in 1927:

I know what you mean about being tempted to join a choral group. I've been thinking about this for a couple of years but, like you, my priority is piano and it has held me back from acting on this desire. I've compromised in the new year, however, by registering for a 2 class a week college voice class, which I hope won't demand too much time since I'm taking it pass/fail and will satisfy my wish to sing with a group. I've heard such great things about the teacher, I just had to try and I can always drop the class if I think its going to steal to much time from my piano. On the otherhand, if I don't drop it, I will be able to take more specialized ensemble classes that specialize in the music I want to sing, like jazz.

FYI I dont' think taking private voice lessons for the last few months has hindered my progress with piano or made it less of a priority. Just the opposite, it's made me more intent on getting the accompaniment right so it will support the vocal. I don't really find myself focusing intensely on the vocal until I'm comfortable enough with the accompaniment, and that's fine. I'd rather be less perfect on the vocal and feel more confident with the accompaniment, since that's my ultimate priority.

But if the group classes work out, I will give up the private lessons, since doing both would probably take too much time from the piano and since doing so will save me a lot of money smile

#2007339 - 01/01/13 05:19 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Newman Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I agree with Starr Keys, working at piano and voice are completely complementary.

And if I can add one piece of advice - Don't be scared to sing. It makes you feel good.

#2008059 - 01/02/13 04:05 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Newman]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Newman
I agree with Starr Keys, working at piano and voice are completely complementary.

And if I can add one piece of advice - Don't be scared to sing. It makes you feel good.

And I agree with you. The biggest obstacle to progress in singing is fear and self-consciousness. I gave it up, even though it was once my greatest joy, because I was I afraid I wouldn't sing in tune on the high notes. My current teacher recognized this immediately and made me conscious of how fear was affecting me. I pulled back on the sound and withdrew breath support just when I should access it because I didn't want people to hear me go flat, which had the exact opposite effect of what I hoped for -- it made me sound less adept and made me go flat when I didn't have to.

Edited by Starr Keys (01/02/13 04:07 PM)

#2008593 - 01/03/13 02:56 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Starr Keys]
Forstergirl Offline

Loc: Ontario
Starr Key's description of the impact of self consciousness on singing is perfect.

My teacher suggested I hold a scarf or something in my hands, and wave it around. So I got a feather boa, which is fun to play with, and is just the right amount of distraction needed to help stop my conscious critical mind from tightening up my singing apparatus. It's so true - the biggest accomplishment can be getting out of our own way.

#2008653 - 01/03/13 05:18 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
i don't know if i can sing, but i do anyway. After hearing Joe Cocker, i don't feel the need to appologize for my voice. smile
I think i've got pretty good range too, for 50. My gang sings some tight harmony, and depending who's in attendence, i try to fit in where needed. I consider it good training. And yes, i also singing and accompanying myself on piano. Anybody ever heard Dana Carvey's "Choppin Brocolli?"

#2008798 - 01/04/13 12:22 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Densi826 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom But its not rea...
I am taking singing lessons at the moment, I can sing how good my voice is I will let others be the judge of that. Here is a few singing exercises

#2008981 - 01/04/13 02:21 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Farmerjones]
Starr Keys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Forstergirl
Starr Key's description of the impact of self consciousness on singing is perfect.

My teacher suggested I hold a scarf or something in my hands, and wave it around. So I got a feather boa, which is fun to play with, and is just the right amount of distraction needed to help stop my conscious critical mind from tightening up my singing apparatus. It's so true - the biggest accomplishment can be getting out of our own way.

That’s something my teacher hasn’t suggested. I can see the logic of it, though, since creative expression is rooted in play which is the most unselfconscious activity I can think of. On the other hand, I’m so suggestible, I’d be afraid of unconsciously making the association with “constrictor” which might only exacerbate my problem. smile

Originally Posted By: Farmerjones
i don't know if i can sing, but i do anyway. After hearing Joe Cocker, i don't feel the need to appologize for my voice. smile
I think i've got pretty good range too, for 50. My gang sings some tight harmony, and depending who's in attendence, i try to fit in where needed. I consider it good training. And yes, i also singing and accompanying myself on piano. Anybody ever heard Dana Carvey's "Choppin Brocolli?"

FJ, I love to hear anyone who can carry a tune sing and accompany themselves on the piano play and sing, and you seem to do both well. I wish there were more like you.

Originally Posted By: Densi826
Here is a few singing exercises

Densi, If they ever make a musical out of Nightmare on Elm Street, you’re a shoe in for the part of Freddy Krueger. smile

Edited by Starr Keys (01/05/13 02:30 PM)

#2009089 - 01/04/13 06:23 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Originally Posted By: Brian Lucas
Originally Posted By: Schroeder II
Problem? I can't sing. It's not from not wanting to. I actually love singing and was in glee club in high school.

No, the issue is I physically can't sing any more due to vocal chord damage from a bad flu bug a few years back. It's not as if I intend to be a professional entertainer after all.
Have you had this verified with a vocal doctor? I'm asking because I've never heard of the flu permanently destroying a voice. In fact, it's very hard to destroy your voice for good. The most common problem of a rough voice are nodules or polyps, both temporary problems that can be fixed.

I sing professionally and I had my tonsils removed a few years ago. I had all kinds of trouble from that. Took about a year of vocal therapy and constantly scoping my throat to overcome the problems. But eventually it came back. The voice is resilient and hard to destroy. I'd get another opinion if you love to sing so much.

I hadn't considered medical opinions. Based on the above I will give it some consideration.
I'm not sure what the definition of temporary is here but the abrupt change occurred after a bad week of flu induced coughing in 2005. If it was going to fix itself I think it wold have happened by now.

There have been some famous singers that lost their voices and regained them through Surgery or other therapy. So, can't hurt to look into it.

#2009090 - 01/04/13 06:24 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I can match pitches but I don't sing well.

#2009288 - 01/05/13 05:36 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Densi826 Offline

What a great idea Starr Keys If they ever make a musical based on Freddy Krueger I will definitely audition for it smile

#2009766 - 01/05/13 11:10 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I thought I was a soprano until today. I had a hard time hitting high A (I think A5). Not only hit the note I also had to sustain it. I am very comfortable up to F#. After that it always depends on luck. Sometimes I can hit it. But it's erratic. I'm gonna ask my choir director to have me sing alto.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2009768 - 01/05/13 11:11 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
FarmGirl Offline

I thought I was a soprano until today. I had a hard time hitting high A (I think A5). Not only hit the note I also had to sustain it. I am very comfortable up to F#. After that it always depends on luck. Sometimes I can hit it. But it's erratic. I'm gonna ask my choir director to have me sing alto.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2009773 - 01/05/13 11:21 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: FarmGirl]
Mayla Fox Offline

Yes, I do regularly sing as a second discipline, actually. I believe it to be extremely helpful in piano studies, as well (and piano studies to be extremely helpful with vocal studies). Funnily enough though, if asked by one of my piano teachers to sing along with my playing, I feel extremely shy about it and I can't make myself do it!

#2009823 - 01/06/13 03:30 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Kymber]
torquenale Online   content

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: Kymber
I can match pitches but I don't sing well.

I can't even match pitches if alone...
I can sing a melody only if I follow the same melody played or sung. My piano teacher says I should practice and improve, but I don't have much time so I prefer studying my piano pieces. I sometime sing on melodies when my children practice piano.

Edited by torquenale (01/06/13 06:14 AM)

#2009837 - 01/06/13 05:04 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: torquenale]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: torquenale
(I sometime sing on melodies when my children practice piano).

Good morning, buon giorno, I'd just like to say

(But please take out the parentheses!)

#2009839 - 01/06/13 05:25 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: FarmGirl]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl

Is your choir director a trained singer? If yes, might s/he be able to give you some technique to be able to get to that A comfortably? High A starts moving out of the comfort zone. I was in a choir that had an ambitious young director, and there were an alarming number of hoarse voices after rehearsals - unwise on his part. The next choir included a professional singer who was one of the soloists (Mozart Requiem) and she gave us the warm-ups as well as being there for consultation on technical problems. The first choir director was not a singer, and he dabbled in "technical training" which had been discontinued because of the harm it did - my primary reason for leaving that choir.

#2009850 - 01/06/13 06:13 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: landorrano]
torquenale Online   content

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: landorrano

(But please take out the parentheses!)

Done! Fatto!
Better now? smile

#2009851 - 01/06/13 06:23 AM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Schroeder II]
Densi826 Offline

I wish I had more time to join to a choir.

#2010226 - 01/06/13 08:09 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: keystring]
FarmGirl Offline

She is not a singer but a trained organist holding a doctorate in it. Today she brought in a professional singer and she helped us tremendously. She warmed us up and told me to focus down (we can even bend our knees) and sing the note. It's all mental. It worked like a magic. I was hitting the A without shrieking. She told us its all mental. I was restricting my vocal code unconsciously when i was trying to get up there. By bending the knees or focusing downwards the moment we need to hit the note, seems to relax it.

Originally Posted By: keystring

Is your choir director a trained singer? If yes, might s/he be able to give you some technique to be able to get to that A comfortably? High A starts moving out of the comfort zone. I was in a choir that had an ambitious young director, and there were an alarming number of hoarse voices after rehearsals - unwise on his part. The next choir included a professional singer who was one of the soloists (Mozart Requiem) and she gave us the warm-ups as well as being there for consultation on technical problems. The first choir director was not a singer, and he dabbled in "technical training" which had been discontinued because of the harm it did - my primary reason for leaving that choir.

Edited by FarmGirl (01/06/13 08:11 PM)

#2010251 - 01/06/13 08:57 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: FarmGirl]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

Sounds like a technical issue. You most likely are a soprano if F# is fine for you (altos don't like that note!), you just need some help in what to do for your upper notes. You may want to drop down to alto, but find a good voice teacher to help you out or you may end up a tenor someday smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2010568 - 01/07/13 12:29 PM Re: Can you sing? [Re: Morodiene]
Forstergirl Offline

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Sounds like a technical issue. You most likely are a soprano if F# is fine for you (altos don't like that note!), you just need some help in what to do for your upper notes. You may want to drop down to alto, but find a good voice teacher to help you out or you may end up a tenor someday smile

I agree with Morodiene. I assumed I was an alto until I had some really good training. My teacher has proved to me that I have a strong soprano voice, with a good range (which is getting bigger the more I sing) It's worth the time invested, believe me!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sax to piano
by JazzMD
Today at 11:06 AM
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
Today at 10:46 AM
ABF Recital FAQ and Guidelines
by wimpiano
Today at 10:03 AM
Did Bachs wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
Today at 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
Today at 09:13 AM
Who's Online
136 registered (Alan_Dublin, ajames, anamnesis, 34 invisible), 1656 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158617 Topics
2329567 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission