Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2008488 - 01/03/13 11:42 AM Question About Ergonomics
newbert Offline

Loc: Upstate New York, USA
Is there a chart or guide where one can see the ideal ergonomics for setting your piano bench relative to the piano? I'm just getting back to learning to play after many years away and don't want to get into bad habits. I want to make sure that my hands aren't too low or high, or too close or too far from the keyboard. I know that we're all built differently and ther's no one definitive answer for all. But is there a guide showing (or describing) the ideal position?

Also - a Forum question from a new member: After starting a thread or posting in an existing one, how can I quickly find/return to that thread during my next visit to the forum? I find that searching thru all of the threads for a specific one can be frustrating. The photography forums that I frequent have something called "UserCP" which lists only the threads that I've posted to that have new posts on them. Is there a similar feature here that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2008506 - 01/03/13 12:18 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Here is a link. If you scroll down the page you will see a video with Jaak sitting on a bench. That should be some help.

I watched the free lessons. They were great! Especially the information about finger support. I am thinking about signing up for more.

In any case, the information you are looking for is provided for free on the site. Hope it helps.

Yamaha P-155

#2008507 - 01/03/13 12:19 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
    scorpio Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Yamaha P-155

#2008529 - 01/03/13 01:14 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: scorpio]
      newbert Offline

Thanks for the info and link, Scorpio. Unfortunately, I can't play the video on that page. Do I need to register there first in order to see the video? If so, is there any cost involved? (I just want to see this video....)

Thanks again.

#2008535 - 01/03/13 01:30 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
      AprilMae Online   content

Loc: Pacific NorthWest
      Here is a link for information on posture at the piano which includes photos:

http://www.wellbalancedpianist.com/bpseatingguide.htm

#2008545 - 01/03/13 01:46 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
      scorpio Offline
      500 Post Club Member

Oh heck, sorry about that. I did sign up for the free videos so that is how I must have been able to see that video. Jaak is a member of Piano World and I did enjoy the first few lessons. Maybe the other link that was offered will get you what you need.

Yamaha P-155

#2008583 - 01/03/13 02:39 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        wouter79 Online   content
        3000 Post Club Member

Can see the link but I don't see any instructions, it seems like a commercial video for an online piano course, explaining what you can expect from that course.

#2008588 - 01/03/13 02:45 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        wouter79 Online   content
        3000 Post Club Member

This seems more useful

http://www.ergonomicpianobench.com/

I don't believe you need a sloped bench like on that webpage but I think they mention a number of important points to keep in mind:

• freely move his arms with agility, ease and strength

• freely move his feet to use the pedals

* continually shifting the weigit [sic]... around ....

#2008642 - 01/03/13 04:47 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        justpin Offline
        500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
        TBH this was one of my first posts on here about posture.

YMMV however!

I found none of the positions on that webpage were comfortable for me and I found my own partially by turning my X stand sideways and also putting a large sheet of wood on the back legs of my chair to tilt it forward a tad.

I mean look at this guy:

His playing is spot on, but I'm not sure I'd sit like that!

#2008825 - 01/04/13 02:29 AM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        Derulux Offline
        5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
        The most common is to sit up straight on the front half of the bench, with your shoulders relaxed, your elbows at your side and slightly forward, your fingers "relax-curled" (not straight), and your elbows approximately 1" above the keys. Adjust the bench distance and height to achieve that, and you're there.

#2008857 - 01/04/13 06:00 AM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: Derulux]
        Jaak Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
        Hi Newbert and others.

Some points that can be considered very important and have proven themselves during my teaching experience. Also the principles of Alexander's technique and different lecture confirm it.

1) The basis for a free and efficient sitting posture is the natural support and position of your backbone. The frank saying to sit as "straight" as possible does not fully overlap with the best position for backbone. Any constructed force and uncomfortable habits should be avoided.

The best way is a well balanced backbone. If the parts of your backbone are well balanced, it prevents a lot of muscles in your body from working and trying to hold you "straight". If you are too straight it starts to cost you energy and create tensions. Also feel how your head is balanced on the top of the backbone and feel the line from sittingbones till your head.

2) How to achieve it?
        The sitting bones should support the weight of the body. Feel how you connect to the surface you sit on through your sitting bones.

You should sit on the edge of the stool - there is a very simple reason why this is good. If you sit too much backwards, part of the support is given by hamstrings and the balance of backbone is lost and muscles start to force the "right" position again. Try it out and you immediately feel the difference.

3) How high or low should you sit?

If you are in the balanced position, you should choose a height where your elbows are at the same height with keys.

4) How far should you sit from the piano?

Your elbows should also be able to move in front of your torso and you should also be able to play the highest keys with your left hand and lowest keys with your right hand without any "dramatic deformations" of you sitting posture.

If there are any more questions I would glady give my best to answer you smile

Best wishes to you!
        Jaak

#2008900 - 01/04/13 09:32 AM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: wouter79]
        malkin Offline
        2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
        Originally Posted By: wouter79

* continually shifting the weigit [sic]... around ....

*giggle*
        I think continually shifting my weigit around would be distracting.

#2008980 - 01/04/13 02:20 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
        Originally Posted By: newbert
        Also - a Forum question from a new member: After starting a thread or posting in an existing one, how can I quickly find/return to that thread during my next visit to the forum? I find that searching thru all of the threads for a specific one can be frustrating. The photography forums that I frequent have something called "UserCP" which lists only the threads that I've posted to that have new posts on them. Is there a similar feature here that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

If you click on "My Stuff" and then "posts", you'll get a list showing every thread you've ever posted in. You can then narrow it down to those threads you started.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! smile

#2009059 - 01/04/13 05:07 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: Monica K.]
        newbert Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
        Originally Posted By: newbert

Thanks!

If you click on "My Stuff" and then "posts", you'll get a list showing every thread you've ever posted in. You can then narrow it down to those threads you started.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! smile

Thanks to Jaak and others with regard to the ergonomics question.

And thanks to Monica for this tip about navigating/finding the threads.

This looks like a great community, and I'm glad that I found it!

#2009094 - 01/04/13 06:44 PM Re: Question About Ergonomics [Re: newbert]
        Euphonatrix Offline
        500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hessen, Germany
        Hi newbert,
        sensations of body can be deceiving. I used to have trouble judging how high my wrists and elbows really were in relation to the keyboard. Solution: put a mirror next to the piano. You can then check your posture from a more objective "outside viewpoint". Alternative: film yourself while playing or have someone take a picture of you sitting in your normal playing position.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
        What's Hot!!
        HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
        -------------------
        Sharing is Caring!
        About the Buttons
        -------------------
        Forums Rules & Help
        -------------------
        ADVERTISE
        on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
        (ad) HAILUN Pianos
        Hailun Pianos - Click for More
        Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
        Knabe Pianos
        Sheet Music
        (PW is an affiliate)
        Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
        (125ad) Dampp Chaser
        Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
        (ad) Lindeblad Piano
        Lindeblad Piano Restoration
        Who's Online
        86 registered (allakart, Atrys, AZNpiano, 22 invisible), 1217 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
        Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
        Forum Stats
        75843 Members
        42 Forums
        156798 Topics
        2303903 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
        New Topics - Multiple Forums
        Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
        by kobethuy
        Today at 02:00 AM
        Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
        by kobethuy
        Today at 01:33 AM
        My Steinway M birth information.
        by ciftwood
        Yesterday at 08:30 PM
        Breathy tone
        by JoelW
        Yesterday at 07:59 PM
        HELLO!!
        by Synner
        Yesterday at 07:23 PM
        (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
        Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
        Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
        |
        Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
        | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
        | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
        No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission