2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 370 1 2 3 4 5 6 369 370
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Good one PPP, no, your not out of place, its my fault (it usually always is according to mrs rossy!) I started a remember (reminiss) in the seventies, by pure chance. I should have started the remember in the sixties.

There is an absolute wealth of remember/ reminice from the sixties , so I back tracked.. typical Ar*e about t*t behaviour by me, but this time unintentional.

All remember stuff welcome, but not from last week say, (unless you have been diagnosed with altzheimers)

Oh, a quick joke about altzheimers, yes I know its a serious and awfull thing, and both my gran on my mothers side AND my fathers twin brother died from it,so I have first hand knowledge of it.
And should it turn out to be genetic, I have it on both sides of the family, maternal and paternal. (massive worry)

That said it is often the case that the sufferer does not suffer as much as the person nursing them, nor indeed their immediate family.
Before the joke though, there are two distinct types of altzheimers: "away with the fairies" this can be literally that, my fathers twin walter, actually saw little folk, they climbed onto him when he sat in a chair, he loved them and had no fear of them,His only disdain was that no one else could see them, in the end my father pretended to for walters sake.

Then there is the other type,and this is horrid, it is the reliving , over and over again of a traumatic event, on a daily /nightly basis, for one sufferer,this was a fire in her youth, relived in the altzheimer years end game.

a truly terrible thing.

However,,as most nursing folk through this will attest, there are moments of hideously funny humour..

The joke:
I went to my doctor, he said I had chronic bronchitis and altzheimers, the good news was that at least I didn't have chronic bronchitis.
Three good things about alztheimers.
(1) You can hide your own easter eggs.
(2) You get to meet new people every day.
(3) You can hide your own easter eggs.

Oh, My father went round to his twin brother walters place and witnessed something absolutely extraordinary..
To picture this, you have to realise that they were Identical twins, no- one could tell them apart.

My father who is called Ron, was talking to Walters wife,when he heard a voice from the bathroom, the voice said "Theres no need to be like that Ron,just tell me"

Curious,my father sidled up to the bathroom door that was ajar.
The voice said "what have I done to you, why are you ignoring me Ron?"

My dad was stunned, how could walter be getting angry with him, when he was not even in the bathroom?

The voice then said,"If you carry on ignoring me,you are not welcome here anymore"

My dad, went into the bathroom at this point,and saw his twin brother walter, staring into the mirror, totally believing that the reflection he was seeing was my dad, and that my dad was ignoring him.

This was probably the single most thought provoking experience my dad had ever had in his entire life,he couldnt get over it, nor could he shake the thought of why walter and not me , when we are twins?

Sorry, I reminissed in an off topic unmusical way!

SO, a double treat, Barry mcguires "eve of destruction" from 1965 revisited by the pogues, as only Shane and the gang can.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're right, ALZ is no joke, but you should have reminisced this song, which is a bit more apt.
This song is 13 years old, can you believe it?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Rostosky, you told us that on another thread, only yesterday!

You want reminicenses?

Can do with knobs on.

This one always does it for me - everytime I hear this, I'm a sprogg of about 7 or 8 years old, in my friends' bedroom and we're learning the lyrics to this song from one of those magazines which did little else but give you song lyrics - this was was called (spookily) "Words".

And, of course, I still know all the lyrics to this day, although now when I hear it, I also tend to think of His Magnificence, DCI Gene Hunt.

Wonder why that is?

Currently playing an Axus D2.

Aaargh! As soon as I posted that, I was back in "remember when" land and also re-lived learning the lyrics to this one too.

I can't think of Life on Mars without remembering this one at the same time.

These are truly "royal" classics. I can't imagine a world without Mars and Rhapsody.

Although, if I DO ever fall victim to Alzheimers, one of the benefits will be discovering these all over again...

Last edited by Sly Cat; 07/08/11 07:21 AM.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone. I'm truly enjoying the remembering. Im also learning a lot. I wasn't able to view a few, however. I'll get that fixed later. I'll check in later.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Polyphasic.. I love chumbawamba!! I learnt of them from My mate Phill Jones who I have mentioned before has a slot on radiojazz in Poland. Great memories.

For anyone who "does Facebook" or any other site where one "adds" people as "friends/buddies"
This Video is a MUST SEE.
"ADD ME" by Chumbawamba.

AND especially for SlyCat, I have a very special affinity for life on mars, I loved the piano on it so much.

Here is a video of David Bowie playing sax for Ian Hunter, also there is the late Micky Ronson on guitar naturally.
Bowie was a massive fan of Mott The Hoople, when they were going to split, Bowie talked them out of it, he offered them a song, Suffragette city, Hoople turned it down, he offered them "All the young dudes" which they accepted, and the rest is history...

Heres Dudes, with Bowie helping out on Sax.
And a few other familier faces!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

I've never seen that vid before! Mint green suit....go David.

But now you got me thinking about sax, what else can I reply with but a fellow Scot - Mr G Rafferty with his classic which features THAT sax solo which, even after hearing it several hundred thousand times, never fails to send a delicious shiver up my spine.

Last edited by Sly Cat; 07/08/11 01:01 PM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah, before I go Sax too, Here is a song wirtten and sung By mr. Hunter.. I put this lovely ballad up for a reason, I have an extremely funny and relevent interview with Ian, which I am putting up next, In it, he "comments" on mr Barry manlynose, who covered this song in 1979, In fact giving mr Barry manlynose his last US hit !!

Also, he talks about angie Bowie, and how she used to come round and spill out all her new make up and fancy clothes in front of Ians wife, and some very very funny things indeed...

He goes on to talk about Barry manlynose "Modulating" this song.... and wishing he would sort of just modulate away somewhere...

But first heres the song in question....

Ships, by Ian Hunter.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anybody remember Pulp?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was a child, this was my favourite song, by far. I think that I even learned the song in japanesse.

Last edited by Recaredo; 07/08/11 06:52 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If we're talkin' favourite childhood songs, this was my favourite........

I wasn't born till 1978 lol

Last edited by wayne32yrs; 07/08/11 06:59 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PPP, I remember pulp, didnt get into them though.
William shatner, I just cant think of without remembering his "man corset" ! The consternation that caused amongst treckies.lol

Ah, slipping back to very serious rememberings....
One band that has probably influenced more than any. The velvet underground, loved em since the beginings, Here is the wonderfull, Venus in Furs.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Indeed Rostosky, you are being really serious.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wayne, I am totally surprised, Lionell Ritchie, Is a teacher in the Video, stalking a blind girl round the college.
For some obscure reason, he hides in doorways, WHY? she cant see him, she is blind!
I cannot condone this behaviour, and fear nowadays it may be illegal. I know it wasn't illegal when the video was made,but still...

Recardo, just so I and anyones else doesn't get the wrong impression, How old were you when that was your favourite song?
For Instance, when I was five, these next few were my favourites, However, I was lucky, my Mam was a "Rock N Roll" Dancer, Full on, sparkly high heels, and Polka dot dresses, and skirts with millions of underskirts, she still has them to this day, wrapped in plastic in her wardrobe. If she went out and didnt spend the night dancing,she considered it a very bad night indeed.

Having allready spent a number of years in Canada and the States, she had a very large record collection from the times, loads of singles.
When I was a child (pre school even) I was allowed to play them while she was at work, my gran supervised, I used to listen intently, and compare and contrast.

Kathy Kirby,(again RIP)is one of my first memories, I dont think she is known at all over the pond, allthough I may be wrong. This was a sort of cross over period, big band sounds still supporting solo vocalists. So first memory, Kathy Kirby, and I will allways love you.

No tricks, no autotune, just ability to sing.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I went and double side tracked myself then, whilst thinking of the sheer variety there was in the sixties, I was going to post Petula clark, Downtown, and nancy sinatra these boots are made for walking.
Then I remembered something quite valuable I think.
I believe a lot can be learnt from studying music from decades ago, as well as centuries.

When I first heard (again the late RIP) Gary Moore, do Parisian walkways, there was something about it that was extremely familiar, nothing new under the sun and all that came to mind, but on this occasion, It was more (no pun intended) than that.

I believe Gary Moore had been inspired by this..not the chorus but the verse from... Dusty Springfields "You dont have to say you love me" please compare and contrast and let me know if you can hear what I believe I can hear, before I go insane.....

RIP : Dusty Springfield,
RIP: Phil Lynott,
RIP: Gary Moore.

Last edited by Rostosky; 07/08/11 08:12 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
OMG! How could I forget about Zappa!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
FABULOUS. I thought we could also use a little Cream to add to the mix! Let me know if you have problems viewin it. I've been having difficulty viewing some of the ones on this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZIArRktkE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Ah excellent Griffin, a marvellous choice. Sometimes Youtube can litterally seem un-loadable, it happens sometimes. Sometimes its just extremely slow because of sheer usage, usuallyover the weekend when all the kids are home from school and on their Pcs etc.

If, you use full screen mode here, and "click" the square blue box above where you write (when you hover your pointer, it says "enter a media tag") then "clck" youtube video, and then paste in the box the link you have copied from youtube, the video will come up here instead of just the link..

Polphasic, Could never forget Zappa !! Mr's Rossy was thinking last night, she said "If necessity is the mother of invention, then how come we never saw invention on stage with frank zappa?"
A valid contribution, I think, from Mrs Rossy, who incidently, broke with convention last night and cooked dinner,after I had posted that to be off topic.

My contribution today is Chelsea girls by Nico.(RIP Nico)

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Ah excellent Griffin, a marvellous choice. Sometimes Youtube can litterally seem un-loadable, it happens sometimes. Sometimes its just extremely slow because of sheer usage, usuallyover the weekend when all the kids are home from school and on their Pcs etc.

If, you use full screen mode here, and "click" the square blue box above where you write (when you hover your pointer, it says "enter a media tag") then "clck" youtube video, and then paste in the box the link you have copied from youtube, the video will come up here instead of just the link..

Polphasic, Could never forget Zappa !! Mr's Rossy was thinking last night, she said "If necessity is the mother of invention, then how come we never saw invention on stage with frank zappa?"
A valid contribution, I think, from Mrs Rossy, who incidently, broke with convention last night and cooked dinner,after I had posted that to be off topic.

My contribution today is Chelsea girls by Nico.(RIP Nico)

Carl

Page 4 of 370 1 2 3 4 5 6 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission