Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2009299 - 01/05/13 06:29 AM Shigeru stringing
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England

For general interest, is anyone able to explain the advantages of setting the hitch pins at the bottom right of this photograph so far back?

Lakeside posted the image last year.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2009404 - 01/05/13 11:33 AM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted By: Withindale
For general interest, is anyone able to explain the advantages of setting the hitch pins at the bottom right of this photograph so far back?

No.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#2009456 - 01/05/13 01:16 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think they just thought it looks pretty. Having everything as long as possible going toward the rim probably elongates the look of everything.

#2009493 - 01/05/13 02:43 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Del]
master88er Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Originally Posted By: Del

No.

ddf

Now Del, how can you say that? Obviously, this piano has the longest tenor string for its size over any competitor, which I am sure the marketing department would have used to its advantage . Just forget the fact that it has no function, and is muted to prevent anything audible whistle

FORMER US Rep.for C.Bechstein

SF Area Dealer: Steingraeber•Grotrian•Sauter•Estonia•Kayserburg•Baldwin•Brodmann•Ritmüller
www.rkassman.com
russell@rkassman.com

#2009545 - 01/05/13 04:35 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: master88er]
Mark VC Offline

Could it have something to do with how stress is applied to the plate?

#2009548 - 01/05/13 04:44 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I think it has more to do with how Steinway strings their longer models. There is a lot of imitation in piano design.

#2009674 - 01/05/13 07:50 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Del]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Question for Del:
In that section of the soundboard impedance usually is improved by adding more mass to the bridge therefore the use in certain pianos of an extra-block connecting the treble to the bass bridge.
In theory bringing the hinge-pins closer to the bridge would change the down-bearing of that section therefore a modification would be need it on the treble bridge. If this modification affects the mass of the bridge will affect also the impedance of the soundboard.

Everything being said; here is my question: Is it possible that by keeping the hinge pins at a certain distance a particular down bearing and bridge mass can be achieve that is optimal?

I’m just trying to find a theory that is reasonably objective.

Edited by Kurtmen (01/05/13 08:16 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#2009681 - 01/05/13 08:07 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lowell MA

Lakeside posted the image last year.

Yes

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
facebook.com/E. J. Buck & Sons Performances

#2009770 - 01/05/13 11:14 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Kurtmen]
Dale Fox Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nor California Sacramento area
Originally Posted By: Kurtmen
Question for Del:
In that section of the soundboard impedance usually is improved by adding more mass to the bridge therefore the use in certain pianos of an extra-block connecting the treble to the bass bridge.
In theory bringing the hinge-pins closer to the bridge would change the down-bearing of that section therefore a modification would be need it on the treble bridge. If this modification affects the mass of the bridge will affect also the impedance of the soundboard.

Everything being said; here is my question: Is it possible that by keeping the hinge pins at a certain distance a particular down bearing and bridge mass can be achieve that is optimal?

The hitch pin placement has nothing to do with the downbearing in this case, since that is determined entirely by the height of the string rest and the height of the bridge.

#2009772 - 01/05/13 11:18 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
LFL Offline

Where is KawaiDon to answer this (I assume he has the answer...)

#2009787 - 01/06/13 12:14 AM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Larry Buck]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Larry Buck

Yes

Inquiring minds await with great anticipation....

ddf

#2009792 - 01/06/13 12:34 AM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Kurtmen]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kurtmen
Question for Del:

As Dale has pointed out, it’s not a matter of string bearing. This is determined by the relative height of the bridge and the bearing bar.

By nature the bass-to-tenor transition is difficult to blend in overstrung pianos. There are a number of reasons for this and I’m working on a full Journal article on the subject. And that still won’t cover everything.

Yes, some manufacturers do add both stiffness and mass to the end of the tenor bridge by connecting it to the bottom end of the bass bridge. I don’t know if this is done in the Shigeru Kawai or not.

There are other ways of stiffening the end of the tenor bridge and adding effective mass. Many manufacturers are careful to place a rib immediately opposite the end of the bridge. It is also common to extend the length of the tenor bridge somewhat beyond the last set of bridge pins.

The string backscale can have an adverse effect on the mobility of the bridge if it is too short. But this is fairly uncommon; especially on a piano of the length shown at the start of this topic. There is no hard and fast rule for the backscale length but there is a point of diminishing returns. Depending on just where in the scale the bass-to-tenor transition takes place this will be somewhere around 150 to 200 mm. The lower down-scale the bass-to-tenor transition takes place the longer it should be. But even so, making it excessively long does not result in any acoustical advantage.

In my work this only comes up as an issue if a piano exhibits a particular tone disparity across the bass-to-tenor transition and, to my knowledge, this is not a problem with the Shigeru Kawai pianos. I’ve not studied their particular design but I’ve not heard any complaints about this aspect of their performance.

Making the string backscale too short can—and sometimes is—a problem but making it longer than absolutely necessary presents no acoustical problems that I am aware of.

ddf

#2010033 - 01/06/13 02:06 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Would the placement of the hitch pins effect plate stress and tuning stability??

#2010090 - 01/06/13 03:19 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
The plate at that point is very wide - it looks like it could be over 20 cm. Moving the hitch pins a few cm in one direction or another will have no impact on bearing, stress, tuning stability or anything else that I can think of, except for the look. Positioning the pins close to (or just back from) the middle of that wide space is probably the most visually acceptable compromise. Not every detail in pianos is deeply rooted in tone or performance!

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2010115 - 01/06/13 04:12 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany

This hitchpin distance allows a long soundboard with more square meters of surface - with the disadvantage of many kilograms of iron for the frame. A big soundboard may be an advantage. But the advantage would be even bigger if also the strings would be as long as possible within a given chassis/case design.

D 1877 satin black plain

#2010152 - 01/06/13 05:11 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: LFL]
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
I checked on a Kawai RX3 grand piano and the hitchpin for the lowest bass note, A, is just 2.5cm from the rim and 1.5cm from the end of the plate.
I have no idea how this compares with other similar pianos, but in relation to the OP, is this just the way they make Kawai grand pianos? My understanding is that the plate and string layout for the Shigeru Kawai pianos are similar to the RX instruments.

Kind regards,

Robert.

Edited by Robert 45 (01/06/13 05:11 PM)

#2010158 - 01/06/13 05:24 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Robert 45]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Robert 45
I checked on a Kawai RX3 grand piano and the hitchpin for the lowest bass note, A, is just 2.5cm from the rim and 1.5cm from the end of the plate.
I have no idea how this compares with other similar pianos, but in relation to the OP, is this just the way they make Kawai grand pianos? My understanding is that the plate and string layout for the Shigeru Kawai pianos are similar to the RX instruments.

Kind regards,

Robert.

I think you'll find we are talking about the plain wire on the right side of the picture, not the bass (wound) strings.

#2010160 - 01/06/13 05:31 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I could not sleep all last night worrying about this.

This is truly one of life's great conundrums and I certainly hope that we can get to the bottom of this soon.

#2010163 - 01/06/13 05:34 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Furtwangler]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Furtwangler

This is truly one of life's great conundrums and I certainly hope that we can get to the bottom of this soon.

I think we did, and the conclusion was "because it looks cool".

Now you can get some sleep...

#2010601 - 01/07/13 01:29 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: BerndAB]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: BerndAB
This hitchpin distance allows a long soundboard with more square meters of surface - with the disadvantage of many kilograms of iron for the frame.
This would seem to suggest that the hitch pin location somehow influences or even dictates soundboard size. In fact, it is more the other way around.

Quote:
A big soundboard may be an advantage. But the advantage would be even bigger if also the strings would be as long as possible within a given chassis/case design.
It has been posted many times by people who are in the know - Del among others - that this is not the case.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2010618 - 01/07/13 02:02 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
PianoWorksATL Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Since the placement is practically arbitrary at that point on the plate, I would observe that moving the hitchpins back makes it easier to string that section of the piano with less interference from the plate struts. It's a small thing, but I can imagine that type of production efficiency tranferring over from the regular Kawai production.
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

#2010629 - 01/07/13 02:15 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: PianoWorksATL]
ando Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianoWorksATL
Since the placement is practically arbitrary at that point on the plate, I would observe that moving the hitchpins back makes it easier to string that section of the piano with less interference from the plate struts. It's a small thing, but I can imagine that type of production efficiency tranferring over from the regular Kawai production.

That might be true, but isn't it also just a bit more sexy? It has a certain symmetry with the way the bass strings terminate. There is a certain visual elegance with the narrow x shape formed by similar length strings crossing over each other. I'm surprised more of you don't think visual appeal plays a part in the design of such things.

#2010639 - 01/07/13 02:35 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Del]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes

ddf

It does allow me to create a better sounding transition between bass and low tenor.

Initially, something I worked on to improve my understanding of what could be done with the Steinway B break.

With a little creative thinking ..

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com

#2011092 - 01/08/13 09:40 AM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Larry Buck]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Yes

ddf

It does allow me to create a better sounding transition between bass and low tenor.

Initially, something I worked on to improve my understanding of what could be done with the Steinway B break.

With a little creative thinking ..

And it does this how?

ddf

#2011208 - 01/08/13 01:58 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I am curious, this piano looks to have a 26 note bass, 13 unichords ....

What model is this and how long is the piano?

It may be mentioned already, I scanned quickly and didn't see it ... my apologies if I missed it.

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com

#2011211 - 01/08/13 02:13 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Larry Buck]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Shigeru SK-3,6'1".

Also see LFL's thread for an SK-5, 4th image down(shown below): http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2009006/SK5%20delivered;%20followup%20from%20o.html#Post2009006

Fewer elongated strings on the SK-5 compared to the SK-3.

#2011397 - 01/08/13 07:08 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
LFL Offline

They look about the same to me....??? Also, they are from different model years. I can ask the MPA when they come....much later in the year, I suspect.

#2011402 - 01/08/13 07:22 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: LFL]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LFL
They look about the same to me....???

Bad English, I'm afraid, have replaced "less elongated strings" with "fewer elongated strings". 7 v 5 pairs if I've counted correctly.

Here is an image of a Kawai RX-7 for comparison:

Edited by Withindale (01/08/13 07:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Added image

#2011418 - 01/08/13 08:17 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: Withindale]
buladscot Offline

The hitch pin placement has nothing to do with the downbearing in this case

#2011427 - 01/08/13 08:29 PM Re: Shigeru stringing [Re: buladscot]
Larry Buck Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: buladscot
The hitch pin placement has nothing to do with the downbearing in this case

How so ??

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
143 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, AmateurBob, A Guy, ajames, 40 invisible), 1761 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156252 Topics
2294735 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brahms
by mellifluous
07/29/14 11:04 AM
The process of shopping / buying a new piano
by Eric5238
07/29/14 10:53 AM
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
07/29/14 10:35 AM
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
07/29/14 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
07/29/14 07:58 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission