Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
130 registered (accordeur, Alexander Borro, anotherscott, Almaviva, A Guy, 52 invisible), 1827 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2008949 - 01/04/13 12:47 PM Software harpsichord
sandalholme Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
OK, maybe a minority interest, but having recently bought my first DP (Kawai ES7 since you ask) after a lifetime of APs and "real" harpsichords, I am content for the moment with the piano sounds, although I will probably go the software piano route eventually. However, the ES7 "harpsichord" sound is unrealistic. No surprise there.

Firstly, having heard the demos, I may opt for the "Dutch" (shouldn't that be "Flemish?") software harpsichord from Edition Beurmann. Any experience of this out there?

Secondly, whilst I think I understand the principles of software pianos, I'm not sure how harpsichords work. I can send down a midi file and the piano software converts it to a Steinway or whatever, in real time so I can hear it as I play and/or saving it to a file (MP3 or whatever)as a music recording. How does a software harpsichord work? I play the first part of a piece, intending it to be on the lower 8, play the second part, intending it to be on the upper 8 etc etc. On a "real" harpsichord a mere flick of a hand lever or push/pull on the lower keyboard provides instant changes of colour. Is it possible to synchronise settings on the ES7 to do this in real time, or is it only possible to store the midi file and then instruct the software to "change" the registration at each point, (fortunately period performance practice limits registration changes to repeats/rondeaus etc) then re-save. The latter would mean a less than enjoyable playing experience but hopefully a rewarding post-playing experience.

Any thoughts/experience of this? I guess the same issue applies to software organs.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2009340 - 01/05/13 08:49 AM Re: Software harpsichord [Re: sandalholme]
Vectistim Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
If you want to be changing registration on a virtual harpsichord (or organ) then Hauptwerk is the way to go.

There are various free instruments available and a free version of the software (for home use only).

You can then change registration my clicking on the PC screen or setting up buttons on your keyboard (if available) or a midipad, or something similar.

So, as well as my digital piano, I also have a Behringer UMX-61 to provide me with a rather DIY two manual organ, than has a load of midi buttons that can be preset to send certain signals.

#2009343 - 01/05/13 08:58 AM Re: Software harpsichord [Re: sandalholme]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
How about the historical instruments available for Pianoteq?

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2009357 - 01/05/13 09:31 AM Re: Software harpsichord [Re: sandalholme]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
My Clav has a harpsichord voice, but it's not very good.

So I bought Sonivox Harpsichord. It offers a variety of harpsichords, and it operates in standalone mode ... no need to load an instrument into a VST host or into Kontakt, so it's easy to use. It loads quickly and will run on even the most modest PC. I have an older version, and I don't remember how much it cost. Online I see that the new one costs just $30.

#2009465 - 01/05/13 01:33 PM Re: Software harpsichord [Re: sandalholme]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Sandalhome, I have purchased the same "Dutch" but used it in some very special ways.

The instrument does happen sampled after a very interesting concept, namely with 5 velocity layers. Not primarily to obtain dynamic playability (but this is to some extent there) - volume range is far lesser as with pianos, but the idea behind was to capture the fine timbre nuances of different plucking energies and breaking thereby the monotony otherwise inherent for a one-layer harrpsichord. And in real world some randomness is always present due to the whole comlex physical process of plucking the strings mechanically. I added a 30% ramdomness in the factory velocity script in contact.

This instrument is presented in the Valotti temperament, but I concluded that it is not very precise (exactly 6 pure fifth and the others are equally narrowed.)

So first I retuned the instrument (with the help of the best SW tuner) to the exact Valotti temperament in the Kontakt's Mapping editor then wrote a modified Kontakt tuning script to be able to tune the instrument to any desired temperaments.

I enhanced the script to be able to change temperament by pressing some upper keys on the piano keyboard which are out of range of the harpsichord.

In the same way it should be possible to change instrument/register I think, but some programming work will be needed. (My attempt was not perfected either, because of major health issues last year. I didn't finished retuning of the others but the upper register for the same reason.)

I enhanced the instrument further, because it didn't have sympathetical resonance. I applied the Kontakt script of Mezo Kornel - a very resource-consuming application.

But the result of these effort were very pleasing - but it all is not in a finished state, an for the time being I'll not have time to complete all this.

Forgot to mention: the instrument is lower tuned then the usual baroque pith of 415 Hz, so I had to transpose it. This is a tricky part indeed because of the many temperament transformations (Valotti, corrected, de-Valotti, target temperament + transposing either on MIDI Keyboard and get the correct target temperament), but I am a purist (or at least have an bias to behave so and tried to avoid bigger pitch shiftings of the individual samples because they have a deterioirating effect.

Edited by Temperament (01/07/13 10:51 AM)
Edit Reason: Tranposing
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#2009829 - 01/06/13 04:11 AM Re: Software harpsichord [Re: sandalholme]
sandalholme Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Many thanks for the replies/suggestions. Looks as though I have a number of alternatives. Will explore further. I suspect I may well go, eventually, along a similar route to Temperament, as I usually make things complicated! In the meantime I may chose a "cheap and cheerful" way forward: there's all that Couperin, Rameau, Duphly etc sitting in my office begging to be played again. Interesting that Beurmann uses Valotti: this was the tuning I used for my Taskin 1769 copy. Good idea to use keys outside the harpsichord compass to send midi signals to change registration.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations at Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Do you recommend an undercover on upright with Dampp-Chaser?
by thestar
16 minutes 27 seconds ago
kawai model SA-8E upright
by EthanHawaii
Today at 02:28 PM
Piano Felt
by Modern Conner
Today at 01:37 PM
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
Today at 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
Today at 12:43 PM
Forum Stats
77372 Members
42 Forums
160018 Topics
2349893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission