2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by neildradford
Just thought I'd share my news, I'm off to a piano shop this weekend, first time I'm actually going to get to try out some acoustic pianos, I'm dead excited.

I'm hoping to come away with something that ill fall in love with, even though my budget is low. They have a used Yamaha U3 I'd like to see (1984) and I'd like to try out their range of Brodmann pianos (uprights). From what I can tell their range is Yamaha, Brodmann and their own brand 'Venables & Sons'.

I've decided that, after a year of lessons and recently passing grade 2 (I know, long ways to go yet) learning piano is a keeper and will be selling all my camera gear to help fund the purchase. For some reason I'm just starting to feel like there is something lacking in my digital piano (cheap-ish Yamaha DGX640) I may sell that on too (wife has a DP I can use for quiet time).

Anyway, I'm probably rambling now, so if anybody has any tips etc I'd be pleased to hear them.

Neil.

Woohoo! I know what you mean about something lacking in the DP. The more I play acoustics the more my DP sounds and feels digital.
My advice would be to buy the piano you love! Yay.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
N
OP Offline
N
Hi guys, an update for anyone interested.

I promise I did listen to all the great advice you guys gave me, but, I did come away from the shop with a purchase made.

I played practically every piano there, including grands (oooo they were lovely), and played as much of what I could (which is a pathetic amount to be honest).

I was able to identify the differences between them, the touch, tone etc. I went there believing it would be a Yamaha model I'd purchase, but for some reason none of them did it for me-U1, U3, P121, U7 and more, not bashing the brand, just didn't feel or sound right for me.

I narrowed it down to two pianos, the Brodmann PE130 and their house brand Venables & Son Custom 133. I took a lunch break to think things over, then went back to play both again. Will Venables was fantastic in explaining all about the pianos, albeit I understood probably 10% of what he said, my piano knowledge is slim to none.

After all the considerations, I purchased the Venables & Son Custom-133, it seemed to have the edge over the Brodmann in terms of........fullness? The bass seemed a bit richer, and the higher notes clearer. Very well made, a slow closing fall board and a (forgive incorrect terminology) front piece, where the music stand is, that opens a little for sound to come out. Ha, that's a bad description.

I wish I could have gone to more shops, played more pianos, but its just not doable for me, and I really haven't been playing long enough to know what it is I'm looking for, but I do think I've found a piano ill love.

A bonus with buying from Venables & Son, other than being a fantastic shop, with excellent service, I can, at a later date, upgrade to another piano (grand?) and will only lose the V.A.T on the price on the upright when I trade in.

The piano should be delivered, with a bit of luck, on Tuesday morning, can't wait.
A free bench and first tuning sweetened the deal, as did a nice sum off the asking price.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice, so much appreciated, just hate that it seems I ignored you all, and a massive thank you to everyone at Venables & Son Piano shop, Ringwood, Hampshire.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
F
F
Congrats!

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Enjoy your piano!
One year ago I choose mine, a 30 year-old Apollo upright (it's a little known Japanese brand) and I enjoy it every time a play/practice on it. I use to say it has a soul (my DP doesn't).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Congrats! Looking forward for photos on thursday laugh

Good that you trusted your ears instead of going for a brand.

I still think however that you should not yet have made a decision. Hope you made the right choice

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
N
OP Offline
N
I'll definitely post some photos once its safely in place.

torquenale, I understand what you mean when you talk about soul, as that's what made me realise the shortcomings of my digital, it just doesn't feel 'alive'.

wouter, I do agree that it would have been best to hold of on purchasing, but in my defence, I'm not so sure there was much risk involved. The piano sounds and feels great, the dealer has a great reputation and the piano is brand new. I'm simply not experienced enough to notice subtle differences between certain pianos. I did feel and hear enough to know that the one I bought will be good for me, certainly good enough to get me further along the path of learning.

When/if I reach a stage where I want to upgrade (there's a grand with my name on it somewhere) and I better understand what it is in a piano I prefer then I will certainly use the advice given on these forums, as it could be the piano I stay with. The one I have just bought wont be my last piano purchase.

I hope I'm making sense and don't appear to be making excuses because I do value the help and advice of all you,great forum members.

Neil.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Some people agonise over a house purchase and live in it a good while before they realise they've made a wrong decision.

I knew on our first date that my wife was the one and I proposed on the third. She's still the one.

If you're happy with your new piano now, enjoy it.

When and if it no longer appeals as much, be grateful for the development and experience it's given you. In monetary terms it may owe you nothing.

Chris Venables makes good pianos. Like a handmade guitar it may not sell for as high a price but is typically worth more than a production Gibson. If you like your piano now, keep it well maintained and there's no reason why your grandchildren shouldn't like it either.

Long health to enjoy it, Neil.

Richard
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
The main risk is if you need or run into a better piano too quick.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Congratulations!.... I don't know diddily about pianos. I do know this. There are people out there...like the custom furniture manufacturers.... they love what they are doing. In piano's, they may not have a name like Steinway...but they sure put as much heart into manufacturing as Steinway.
The best piano is the one you love.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
That's wonderful. I bet your piano will sound wonderful. I tried the Yamaha upright range too and was similarly a little disappointed. Different strokes for different folks.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations!!!!

Now we want pictures.

You are in for a treat. There are few experiences better than sitting down to your newly delivered piano for the first time. Enjoy.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go!
When you know it's the one, you stop looking.
We found ours at the 2nd shop we went to when we were just doing some preliminary exploration.

Learner
A
A
Congratulations on the purchase. Can't wait to see and hear it smile This story makes me long for buying one, too.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Yay! Congrats... Enjoy your piano!

N
OP Offline
N
Just a small update, delivery is confirmed for Tuesday (tomorrow) around 4pm.
I've got my lounge ready for it and I'm dead excited.

Neil.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Congratulations! How exciting! Be ready to be playing all day after your piano comes. I have no doubt you made a great decision and you will have many great years together! Enjoy!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Neil! And no need to apologize. You went into your piano shopping better educated and with more full disclosure than the vast majority of first-time acoustic buyers. I am confident you made the right decision for you. And I am also confident that time will drag by slowly until tomorrow at 4:00. grin

N
OP Offline
N
Haha, thanks Monica, now I'm home from work with the day booked off tomorrow and I'm thinking you're right in that the minutes are going to be twice as long.

Quick question, I'm going to be biting at the bit to play it once its here, but should I hold off from using it right after the move, I know there is a long term settling in period, but is it harmful to use it right away. Probably a silly question, but thought its best to check.

Neil.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Haha, thanks Monica, now I'm home from work with the day booked off tomorrow and I'm thinking you're right in that the minutes are going to be twice as long.

Quick question, I'm going to be biting at the bit to play it once its here, but should I hold off from using it right after the move, I know there is a long term settling in period, but is it harmful to use it right away. Probably a silly question, but thought its best to check.

Neil.

The absolute worst thing you can do to a piano .... is not play it!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Neil.

Hi Neil and many thanks for your kind words about us in your earlier post. We're blushing blush (Thanks to zrtf90 for the complimentary post too)

Regarding your question re using your piano immediately after delivery, yes, of course you can. However, when having a piano delivered when it's very cold outdoors and warm in your home, the entire piano, inside and out, will become covered in condensation within minutes which is not good news. So, if convenient for you, before delivery lower the room temperature to be close to the outside temperature and keep it cool for the first two hours after delivery. If you are unable to lower the room temperature, then keep the piano closed for a couple of hours after delivery to allow the piano to acclimatise to its new environment.

Your piano is now tuned, prepped and loaded and will be with you later this afternoon. Enjoy!

Best wishes.

Chris

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission