Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2009335 - 01/05/13 08:38 AM In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee!
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
So guys, recently bought my own first piano, a yamaha c109. Playing it in the shop, it was a good price and I liked it. However, getting it home, sounds totally different, waited the 8 weeks before tuning but still I don't like it anymore. It is very difficult to play legato on it due to it being so small.

Went into a shop yesterday, and the guy said that I would have that problem on that piano because the keys are very short. He suggested that I try a Yamaha T118 and the Yamaha P22. Both of these I really liked, They had longer keys, a much softer touch but I wanted to know if anyone has these pianos or what do they think. I obviously want a steinway upright, but unless anyone wants to contribute to the 'Help Ju5t1n-h buy a steinway foundation' then its not going to happen.

Thanks in advance

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2009384 - 01/05/13 10:44 AM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Search words : c109
All Products
Support (FAQs)
Resources
News & Events
Your search - c109 - did not match any documents.

Well, ju5t1n-h, I don't see that you really have a problem (except that the piano you like may be more expensive than the piano you have). It's not unusual that a piano will seem fine in the store, yet not be acceptable in the home. They are willing to exchange it. You have already been very patient, and have given the c109 a good opportunity.

I would only suggest that you give your candidates a really good try-out in the store (play each for at least an hour, preferably on more than one day) before you make a final decision. As long as you take the convenience of the store into consideration, I don't see why they would mind. Keep in mind that the acoustics of the shop are bound to be different than those in the home music room--- this is always hard to allow for.

My only reservation is that your complaint is not about the piano's sound, but is about the difficulty of legato playing. This is normally a matter of the pianist's skill and not so much about the instrument, unless the action or voicing is really uneven. Well, sometimes they do get delivered in that condition. Even then, a skillful player can get a pretty good legato out of most pianos, no matter how vile the regulation, and a good tech can even it out for you. But, a better piano, better prepped, will be easier to play. You might ask about the prep, and even do some look-ups on this forum (there have been very long and detailed discussions). And, if you really like the piano in the store, note down the serial number, ask that that specific piano be delivered to you, and check the serial before you accept delivery. You should also be sure that its serial number is on the invoice and other paperwork. Just a little insurance. Sometimes the pianos on the floor get more attention than seemingly-identical units freshly out of the shipping container.

#2009677 - 01/05/13 07:58 PM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
ju5t1n-h Offline

thanks Jeff. I will keep going with this one for probably another 6 months or so, I think I bought this one in september so not very old. I got it second hand as well from Tom Lee and I did make sure it was the same one that I played in store, where I liked the feel of it.

I'm not sure that my legato playing or the regulation is the fault, I really think as the piano salesman said, the keys are short and because of that it has single felt hammers that are made very solid so that this little piano can still hit a powerful sound. When the technician tuned the piano, he tested the regulation and said that it was fine and working correctly. I think I just want a softer touch so I don't have to put in sooo much effort to play a nice chopin nocturne!

#2009679 - 01/05/13 08:04 PM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
How are acoustics in your room? How large is the room, is there carpeting, is the piano up against the wall? If there is carpeting you may be working harder than you need to. Also, are you opening the lid for the sound to come out? I'm trying to figure out what you mean by not being able to play legato on it - I assume you were able to in the store? So unless it was damaged (and your tech says it's in good working order so that's ruled out), it must be the room.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2009715 - 01/05/13 08:57 PM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h
thanks Jeff. I will keep going with this one for probably another 6 months or so, I think I bought this one in september so not very old. I got it second hand as well from Tom Lee and I did make sure it was the same one that I played in store, where I liked the feel of it.

I'm not sure that my legato playing or the regulation is the fault, I really think as the piano salesman said, the keys are short and because of that it has single felt hammers that are made very solid so that this little piano can still hit a powerful sound. When the technician tuned the piano, he tested the regulation and said that it was fine and working correctly. I think I just want a softer touch so I don't have to put in sooo much effort to play a nice chopin nocturne!
You may want to get some help if you decide to purchase another piano. I think the salesman gave you some incorrect information. As far as I know the length of the keys has little or nothing to do with playing legato although longer keys make it easier control dynamics. I have never heard of single felt hammers.

#2010204 - 01/06/13 07:31 PM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Yeah i think you guys are right. I'm going to do more research this time when i buy, and play a lot longer. When I bought this one I tried out plenty enough pianos but only played a small amount on each. The acoustics in the room are what they are, small apartment of 600sqft and its in the living room so probably not great for acoustic. Carpet on the floor, and its against a wall yes, also I keep the lid down when playing.

#2010470 - 01/07/13 08:29 AM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
backto_study_piano Offline

Loc: Australia
You can try moving it out from the wall a little - even at a slight angle to see if that improves the sound. If it's against a side wall, moving away from the side wall will change the sound too.

#2010496 - 01/07/13 09:30 AM Re: In need of a change already - help! pleaseeee! [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Also, if you can do anything about the carpeting that will help too. Wood, of course, is very complementary to pianos (tile tends to be harsh). But I know sometimes you are limited if you are renting.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (accordeur, antony, 43 invisible), 1459 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74217 Members
42 Forums
153533 Topics
2249973 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Love More" Chris Brown and Nicki Minaj - Piano Cover
by Zach Evans
14 minutes 59 seconds ago
Sheet music for Philip Glass's etudes?
by Eldridge
59 minutes 9 seconds ago
Charles Walters piano
by Colleen05
Today at 07:05 PM
Why 88 keys?
by gsmonks
Today at 03:01 PM
Casio AP range advice please
by thamajor7
Today at 01:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission