Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2025686 - 02/02/13 01:16 AM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: Olek]
pianosur Offline

Loc: El Bolsón, Argentina
Hi Olek! Thanks a lot for your dedication!
I would like to change the hammers, but I have no idea how to get them. How much do you pay for a set of new hammers? I don't think the piano owner will like this idea...She really would like buying a new piano instead.

I will measure hammers angle nex time.
Knuckle to center pin is 18mm, measured on shank axis line, from middle of center pin, to middle point of knuckle wood core.

Now you give me lot of new ideas. But I suppose that first I must try to enlarge spread by moving the wippen rail, is that ok?
I already raise the back cloth and balance punchings, to get standard key dimensions. Is it posible to directly raise the back of the key frame in a case like this?

Thanks!!!
(Now, I go of camping for a few days)

Edited by pianosur (02/02/13 01:18 AM)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2025781 - 02/02/13 08:43 AM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
Olek Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hello, Hammers are not that expensive but if you are not used to change hammers you will be in trouble, particularly on an old piano where they where light probably.

If the jacks are well under the knuckle you probably do not need to change the spread, you will need more key dip if you do so. Changing stack height and orientation can help, but can be time consuming, very probably the touch will feel better as soon the hammers impact correctly the strings (even if it is not ideal the tone advantage may suffice to give a better sensation in the end)

#2042068 - 03/02/13 11:18 PM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
pianosur Offline

Hello!

I HAVE GOOD NEWS!!

Changing stack height and orientation seemed to be a very complex work to me.
So I'tried enlarging spread about 2mm, obtaining incredible results! No more problems regulating let off and hammer drop!!
Now I need to increase key deep, mainly on blacks, because there is not enough hammer travel and aftertouch. But this was also needed before changing spread.
How much aftertouch is the ideal measure?
Is there any way or any tool for home making paper punchings for keyboard regulations? (remember: I live in Patagonia Argentina...)

#2042075 - 03/02/13 11:38 PM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Aftertouch should be about the thickness of a moderately thick coin. 1 to 1.5 mm.

You might be able to find punches for making the punchings. There are plier-type punches that could make the center hole which you might find at a fabric shop or hardware store. If there is a supplier for leatherworker's tools, you might find them there. You need punches about 22 and 4 mm for the front rail punchings, 12 and 3 mm for the balance rail.

#2045438 - 03/09/13 09:38 AM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: BDB]
pianosur Offline

Aftertouch: Measured at key travel?

Punchings: So, I first make the inner hole, an then I cut the external circle with scissors?

Thanks, BDB!

#2045469 - 03/09/13 11:06 AM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Aftertouch: Yes, you can put in a piece of cardboard about that thickness and adjust it so the hammer just lets off, and then a piece of stiff paper to make sure it no longer lets off to set it properly. If they are long narrow strips with a slot that fits around the front rail pins, you can slip them in and out while you test notes in several registers.

Punchings: You can do that. They do not need to be perfectly round, but they should not interfere with the next note even if they rotate on the pins.

#2046260 - 03/10/13 11:30 PM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: BDB]
pianosur Offline

OK. I understand! Thanks!

#2046685 - 03/11/13 09:45 PM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I am a bit puzzled. From your questions, it is clear that you have a very limited knowledge and experience regulating grand pianos. I am sure I am not the only one who thought you were simply someone working on their own piano because there was no technician where you live. But gradually I get the feeling that you are the technician.
Originally Posted By: pianosur
I don't think the piano owner will like this idea...She really would like buying a new piano instead.

While I wish you luck in your endeavor, you must understand that you really need to educate yourself in the field of piano technology before you take on this kind of work on other people's instruments. I think it is a question of ethics, personally.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2046722 - 03/11/13 10:31 PM Re: Let-off buttons: not enough career for correct regulation. [Re: pianosur]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted By: pianosur
I would like to change the hammers, but I have no idea how to get them. How much do you pay for a set of new hammers? I don't think the piano owner will like this idea...She really would like buying a new piano instead.

Here's another suggestion: if the owner wants to buy a new piano, she should buy a new piano. This one looks nice, but it's at a minimum 90 years old, and she doesn't want to go for new hammers.

Maybe you should buy the piano from her and install new hammers, learn a lot in the process, and then you'll have a piano to sell.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (aesop, BB Player, Alex-SapRenovation, anotherscott, 41 invisible), 1218 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75971 Members
42 Forums
157108 Topics
2307336 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7 - hidden gem
by Kevin Keys
08/28/14 09:21 AM
Paying to be a vendor
by Bob
08/28/14 08:39 AM
Does it get easier?
by Pover
08/28/14 07:10 AM
Correct fingering
by johan d
08/28/14 06:50 AM
An update on Ethan Hawke's docu about Seymour Bernstein
by music32
08/28/14 04:36 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission