2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 320 of 370 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rostosky
JOY OF JOYS, what a wonderous day,

TJ has just "come out" ( see youtube video share thread) as a confirmed foot fetishist by his very own admission.

This was a very very brave thing to do, I hope both myself, wayne, aimeeo, beccaBb, pianojoy, starrkeys, griffin and prof quentin and everyone else concerned will be as tolerant and understanding as humour permits.

A big hand ( or preferably foot) for TJ.

A big foot for TJ!!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My, my, the Kidwelly kid surprised to find a fellow foot fetishist...

I'm surprised to find Becca wears huge fuzzy socks to drink tea, READS my posts BEFORE prying her eyes open and LISTENS afterwards...

Well here's my footnote for the day...

Thank you, Griffin, for an apt selection. The Telemann and Bach concertos continue the theme from last week and keep the ears attuned to the more delicate dissonances of the Baroque, making it easier to come to terms with the finale that follows and the smaller forces of the Bartok quartet, with its more modern tonality and rhythms, provides a nice complementary balance to the whole programme and shows just how far we came in 300 years.

Claudio Monteverdi stood at the centre of the transition from Renaissance music to Baroque. The Magnificat is an example of sacred writing, not dissimilar to the Palestrina piece heard earlier, as an example of his ability in that style. He was probably the greatest of the composers who worked in both styles.

He began writing Madrigals, through composed secular songs using unaccompanied polyphony, in the monodic style where the accompaniment was the newly emerging basso continuo providing the harmony below the single melodic line, now able to express emotion in ways that brought out the meaning of the text.

He then combined all the main and emergent styles of composition into one opera using open forms of recitative and closed forms of strophic verse, ABA and ABB composition.

This is the opening of Orfeo. The full opera is two hours and is well worth a listen.

In Possente Spirto, Monteverdi uses strophic verse which suggests that the music cannot fit the text. Indeed, the music doesn't express the text but it is no less beautiful for that because it does convey emotion, and it is Orfeo's ability to move by singing that is demanded by the story (charming Caronte to ferry him across the Styx) so it works on a deeper level. Still Monteverdi has used different instrumentation and different vocal embellishement for each verse.

I know this music won't appeal to all of you, or many of you, because we have grown up with late Baroque and Classical music from Bach and Handel, through Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, right on up to Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Mahler et al. This has conditioned you to certain expectations of Western music and its language, major and minor scales and arpeggios and the chords and harmonic progressions built on them.

The early Baroque is not just a preparation for Bach and Handel. It is the birth and development of several new styles that break away from the Renaissance plan and add interest in a variety of ways. They are happening in different countries. The sonata (which became the symphony), the concerto and opera all grew and flourished in Italy but England, France and Germany were all contributing in their own way to the new language.

It is not until the creative might of Bach that all these styles are pulled together but I hope you might give some of it a listen and let it grow on you over time.

As always, I wish you a good week until next week. Keep safe.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG X 1000,000,000 .9

Dead can dance are doing a massive tour this year, they are starting off in their (half native) Australia and then japan followed by an extensive european tour... Not the UK..

So I will have to travel to see them... quite a way...

here you will find the tour dates.....
http://www.deadcandance.com/main/tour-dates/

And a little taster of a band I have loved since the very early eighties....

And....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
R
R
Needed to pop up again, 'cause I've just found out this pianist with superhuman ability shocked , can't help myself sharing it:

[video:youtube]vWFcbuOav3g[/video]

BTW, thanks so much Richard, Griffin and Becca for the sympathy and encouraging words. I really needed those, gives me new energy and hope! Thanks indeed smile

Oh, thanks a lot to Richard and Griffin for the beautiful and refreshing selections of the new year's first Sunday Classical program. I could only listen to the Hummel and Liadov for today, Sunday is almost gone in India right now. So, going to bed for the moment (and another busy week to come cry). But I'm hoping to finish all the selections within next couple of days. The Hummel is really magnificent! The notes about him is rather interesting! Thanks Richard for introducing to his wonderful music!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rupak, are you stuck on bar 43 of this arrangement of the turkish march?
If so,Rich&hard will walk you through it.( cheers rostosky)

I remember wayne went off to a proper party, and , well, hasnt come back with any tales, The party I loved best at waynes was when he bust his piano stool and fell in the plant pot.

That is the sort of party I expected to be going to.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Today is holiday in Spain, I'm practicing Mendelssohn but also I'm going to enjoy these fabulous Sunday postings. Thanks guys for taking your time!

Rupak, I know you have a great talent for the piano, so when you get back to the instrument you will see your technique have lost nothing.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
What's the Holiday today in Spain, Recaredo?
We had "sorta one" yesterday here....

I'm not a huge fan of Elton or Sir Elton or whatever he goes by these days (why oh why can't people leave their names alone!) but I favor the lyrics and simple melody of this song.
His voice is deeper in this video than I recall.....

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's just say it looks like fun, on the photo's Rossy lol..... I can only remember half of it pmsl smile

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Greetings everyone! Today is my last day of vacation, and I'm getting organized for the week. Before I return to my household chores I want to express my appreciation for all of the wonderful postings.

Richard, all I can say is WOW!! What a treasure trove of information and background in all of your Sunday postings. I am still listening to the last two Monteverdi selections. Most interesting to be able to learn more about the transitioning from the Renaissance to Baroque. The Magnificat was most enjoyable for me to hear first since I have a keen interest in choral music. The Magnificat reminded me of several selections we sang in school. I just got started with listening to the opera. I'll be back to you on that later. smile

Rupak, that pianist was amazing! Thanks!!

Rossy, I really enjoyed the Dead Can Dance posting. I was only able to listen to the second posting because of my quirky iPad. I'll view the other later on my desktop PC. BTW, have you posted Dead can Dance before? I don't believe I've of heard them before. Thanks for the introduction. That's what I love about this thread! smile

PJ, I'm having the same problem viewing your posting on my iPad. I'll view it later.

I must get back to domestic chores. I'll check in later!

Last edited by griffin2417; 01/07/13 01:50 PM.

Carl

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PJ, over here if a festivity falls on Sunday, then the next Monday is holyday. We are so lucky.

Btw, The Three Kings gave me a wonderful tablet (I got quite surprised, as didn’t deserve so much). Well, now I’m looking for a parametric equalizer that works like widget, but I find nothing about this kind of application for Android. Any suggestion would be extremely appreciated.

Happy return to work, Griffin!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wow Recaredo, you are lucky no kings gave me any tablets this christmas, nor at any other time, I have to go out and buy my own, but I am quite lucky as I have a friend who sells me tablets and he only lives 20 mins drive away and sells me them at cost.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I encourage you to get one of these devices, Rossy. Tablets are amazing to watch concerts on the Internet, while you are sat on a comfortable couch. For this reason I'm looking for a parametric equalizer under Android. I'm a bit fussy about sound when I'm listening to music.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

TJ is Trapper John. Trap graces us with his posts quite often.

Yes I am, and no I don't - just once in a while when I find an exceptional musical video that I want to share with those who, in spite of their previous misjudgments, have the potential to be convinced through reason and by impeccable examples of the essential error of their ways...

Originally Posted by griffin2417

He never gives up on trying to convince me that Alison Kraus should have been on my list of 8 songs I'd take with me if I were trapped (pun intended) on a desert island. wink

Here's a "simple gift" for you Grif - enjoy:

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes Richard, every morning I get up and read myself into wakefulness! Usually with fuzzy socks on and never without tea! LOL

Any of you guys hear of Lindsey Sterling? She's a really neat violin player (two of our kids just love her.) She's co-starring with the piano guys!

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bowie has released a new album! Gotta love the guy! smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
A
A
Ahhh, a new Piano Guys upload. Wonderful! Lindsey is sweet too. Mmmm....

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb

Any of you guys hear of Lindsey Sterling? She's a really neat violin player (two of our kids just love her.) She's co-starring with the piano guys!

She's really good - also, check out Jon's daughter singing in the "Where Are You Christmas?" vid selectable at the very end...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
unfortunately Beccs, our radio 2 station has spent most of this week completely slagging off Bowies latest single from this album, and have used every opportunity to mention that after ten years abstinance from music making in general that we should expect something better from Bowie.

I will have to give the album a good listen, but as far as the single is concerned I have to agree with the consensus of opinion from our airwaves, it is a lamentable single.

It isnt that bowie is hitting any bum notes ( as sir paul did on his last tour which they have also mentioned big time saying its time macartney packed it in) it isnt that the production is weak.

It is merely that the single is ( to be very kind) lack lustre, non discript, boring and has none of the magic one would expect from the duke.

Its a good job we were not expecting anything of the calibre of Ziggy, aladin sane or even changes, this freshly released single is morbidly anerexic in its content and impact and is going down like a lead balloon over here.

Yes, Bowie has nothing to prove, but if he was considering selling this single he will be very very dissapointed.

Well below par.

Last edited by Rostosky; 01/08/13 06:35 PM. Reason: I TAKE THIS ALL BACK OF COURSE IF IT TRANSPIRES THAT BOWIE HAS FOUND OUT HE HAS A TERMINAL ILLNESS.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah the overkill by radio technique! They do that here all the time too! I know it's not his best but I'm just thrilled he's putting out a new album. smile

I seen that video, Trap, I just didn't realize it was his daughter! I think I'll have to rewatch it.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Rossy, I don't believe Bowie is terminally ill, but he turned 66 years old today ......

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Page 320 of 370 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission