2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Attention: anyone interested in taking a Jazz improvisation class in The Bay Area of Northern California -- There is an Intro to "Jazz Piano and Improvisation" class at Diablo Valley College that meets one day a week from 2pm-4:50pm, starting Thursday , January 17 and running through around the end of May. It costs $55 total for area residents.

I know the odds are small someone will see this and be in a position to take the class, but I have registered for this class for the last two semesters and it has been cancelled both times because of under-enrollment. There are eleven people registered so far, however, which is more than I've ever seen register before. Even one person can make the difference in the class being allowed to go on or not.

It's really easy to apply and register online, and you can pay after it has been determined that the course is a go. If anyone is interested or has a suggestion about where else would be a good place to post a notice on line, please let me know.

Course Description
MUSIC-152
SC
UC/CSU
This course is for the study of the theory and practice of jazz piano through learning chords, voicings, improvisational techniques, and various idiomatic styles. CSU, UC

Last edited by Starr Keys; 12/29/12 08:45 PM.
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
If I wasn't already signed up for the same class at a campus a bit to the north-east of there for the purpose of a specific instructor, I'd seriously consider the commute.

I'll cross my fingers for you and be happy to help you out with whatever the class teaches and covers, along with of course the far more knowledgeable members here than I, regardless though.

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hello Bobpickle!

If I wasn't already signed up for the same class at a campus a bit to the north-east of there for the purpose of a specific instructor, I'd seriously consider the commute.

Well, from what I understand, even if they do well, students are allowed to and often do take these courses up to 3 times, and instructors often, especially if the class is small, give individual attention to students. So, perhaps we can can switch courses next time smile

I'll cross my fingers for you and be happy to help you out with whatever the class teaches and covers, along with of course the far more knowledgeable members here than I, regardless though.

Thanks, same here! It will be really interesting to compare notes, and youtube video recordings smile

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
There are 12 people registered for the course as of today--one more since the last time I posted here. I'll be traveling for about a week and may not have access to the internet, so I wanted to re-activate this on the chance someone else might see it in time to register as there are still eleven days left till the first day of class.

Last edited by Starr Keys; 01/06/13 03:50 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I attended the first day of this class and it turns out this course is being deceptively advertized.

First there is no improv allowed in performance assignments, second there is no theory, third the teacher can't even improvise. He brings in someone for two days to lecture on improvisation. The course is combined with two other courses separately listed on the schedule -- Pedagogy and Ensemble Performance -- but you must play from a score, sheet and the emphasis is on interpretation. I think the only reason the Jazz section is included is to get enough people to teach pedagogy and advanced classical interpretation, since there must be a certain quota for the classes not to be canceled and the jazz section got the highest registration of students.

DO NOT TAKE this class if you want to learn to improvise jazz. The class to take is Music 127, which I just registered for and, based on the first class, is exactly what I wanted.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Aww that's kinda sad that they did that. frown

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Sounds kind of like my jazz piano class, but I don't remember if the description of the class mentioned improvisation or not (being jazz, I'm sure it did in some format). I can imagine that to learn something like jazz piano techniques, arranging, etc. in a group or classroom environment would require a pretty heavily formatted schedule of skill and tune-learning, though.

edit: as mentioned, for a purely improvisational focus, you'd want to take the "music" and/or "jazz improvisation" named classes. That being said, though, I can hardly imagine for a pianist, the time spent in the piano class will be unproductively spent.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 01/24/13 03:52 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BeccaBob
Aww that's kinda sad that they did that.

Yes, especially after I heard about the class that Bobpickle is taking with the same name, which he was kind enough to PM me about on the chance that I might be in a position to make the commute to it. Thanks, BP!

They are both called "Jazz Piano" but that is where the similarity ends. From what I've seen it's closer to a classical master class than it is to jazz.

Well, the classical teachers on the board are getting what they wanted. I'm taking the class. Not because I want to learn classical technique, but because it will allow me sing and play in front of an audience on a fairly regular basis and because it will hopefully lead to my having something more intelligent to say in my comments on the Piano Bar every month. smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission