Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 116 of 228 < 1 2 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 227 228 >
Topic Options
#2010388 - 01/07/13 03:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I had never heard of ABC notation before, but apparently I've used something like it already to scribble down melodies of my own. It seems like a quick way to -write- down music, but I would prefer -playing- from regular music notation. So much easier to recognize intervals, note lengths and multiple voices or other double notes.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2010418 - 01/07/13 06:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

As for the discussion on the ABC format... well, whatever works for you. Personally I think it sounds restrictive, but as you say, it does depend on what your goals are. It would seem like extra work to me.
I aree with TallGuy - it isn't a spirit of "elitism" that prompts others to suggest you work on the more standard system --- it is simply an enthusiasm to want to encourage you to open the doors to possibilities.

And that's as near as I've EVER seen the ever-supportive casinitaly get to constructive criticism! :-)

#2010421 - 01/07/13 06:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: malkin
Here is my accomplishment of the moment:
http://youtu.be/fUDrn2dTDas

We emailed the link out to everyone as a Happy New Year greeting for 2013.
Happy New Year to all of you too!!!

I had missed this! Wonderful! Love this kind of tunes.

And belated Happy 2013 to everybody.

#2010498 - 01/07/13 09:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: sinophilia]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Originally Posted By: malkin
Here is my accomplishment of the moment:
http://youtu.be/fUDrn2dTDas

We emailed the link out to everyone as a Happy New Year greeting for 2013.
Happy New Year to all of you too!!!

I had missed this! Wonderful! Love this kind of tunes.

And belated Happy 2013 to everybody.

I missed it too! How fun! Makes want to do a christmas music again.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2010510 - 01/07/13 09:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Cheryl, thank you for your comments. I did not enjoy sharing my music with others before but lately I'm enjoying it. It's more exciting in weirdly addictive way. I think something changed within me definitely. I forgot to mention that I decided to reinforce my technique this year. Hearing some of those folks playing, I noticed that there are noticeable variation in the sound they make. I wondered why. I think it's the level of control. That's why I wasn't hearing dynamics and articulation absent which music fail to communicate (won't sing the song). I like my teacher but I noticed it right away that it's more up to you as a student. At a college level (I'm not in college but she is a prof) the teachers won't hold your hands like a neighborhood piano teacher. She won't look at your scale, Hannon or whatever unless you request. She assumes that you are doing it on your own. I know what I need to do. So I assign scales & exercises to myself and ask her to look at it once in a month. I'm kinda glad I went to a neighborhood piano teacher first. She got me back to basic and helped me fix bad habits.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2011011 - 01/08/13 05:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I have never heard of the "ABC" approach to music either, but if it helps someone make music, more power to them. That is the goal of all this hard work!

malkin - I loved your Teasing Rag duet!

FarmGirl, you opportunity to listen to others play and share your music sounds like a great opportunity! It sounds a little intimidating, but should be a great confidence builder.

CasinItaly - Glad to hear your Beethoven German Dances are wrapping up. It is hard to play something you are really not "in to ", but it is a great accomplishment to master them anyway! It sounds like your having fun with the baroque music though!

I had a great, back to basics lesson yesterday. We spent 45 minutes working on technique issues. My teacher had me doing things ultra slowly (scales at 40!) and watching position and relaxation on every single note. We worked on scales and octaves and it was quite eye opening. I thought I was playing my Bach slowly in practice, but after this lesson, I have learned a new meaning of slow. This little prelude is quite the finger puzzle. We drew a line on the back of my hand and wrists, so I could see when I was torquing too much. It helped me recognize that I am not playing from the shoulder enough and compensating with my hand position. So my achievement is redefining slow!

#2011105 - 01/08/13 10:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I don't want to turn this into a debate on the merits of ABC notation. There is a blog by a forum member TromboneAl about his journey:
http://pianosightreading.blogspot.com/2008/01/background.html

I believe that this is the kind of road I am facing. For those that don't believe in aptitude for sight reading, do you believe it exists for ear training? Of course it does, aptitude exists for both ear and sight reading. The blog details a four year long journey of getting to sight reading proficiency, spending an hour or more a day mostly on sight reading. This is for an accomplished musician, an intermediate level pianist. My road, would be similar. I know others beginners, especially those that have a higher level of aptitude, don't like to hear it.

Each of us has limited time and energy, and in my case physical limitations due to chronic long term use problems on how much time I can spend on piano. If one of you wants to spend the next four years of an hour a day, getting to sight reading proficiency, have at it. For the average person it is more likely two or three years of 15 minutes a day. However, I am talking about the low aptitude group which might be as many as 20% of piano beginners.

How do I know I am in that group? I have over 10 years on other instruments. Single melody line treble clef only scores are beyond me. Full classical piano scores? Come now. Sigh. I've done the apps, I've done other exercises. I am not good at it. My brain doesn't process dots and lines well and I am not the only one.

Most in my camp give up on piano, because they can't read the scores. They don't know there are other ways, because most piano teachers are in the high aptitude group and have no patience for those of us in the low group. They can tolerate the average person, but often call us in the lower group, stupid or lazy because we can not learn the material. I have heard some on the forum say the same thing, that those that can't sight read are stupid or lazy. Sigh.

As far as struggling with a new piece, any person in the low aptitude sight reading group is going to struggle with that. Complex classical pieces are for the most part going to be out of reach for the hobbyist in the low aptitude group.

If I had chosen to spend my entire 10 months on piano primarily focused on learning to sight read, let me tell the high aptitude sight readers the big surprise. I would still be struggling with a score for Canon in D! However, I wouldn't have written a single original piece of music and likely would still be struggling with simple pieces from one of the method books. There are often other beginner posts from those in similar situation. Most are too ashamed to write about it. Many give up because they don't know that there is any other way.

Please understand that the road proposed by the well meaning is one of shattered glass and bleeding feet for those of us in the low aptitude group. It is doable, but it often involves turning their piano lives over to it. For TromboneAl, a polished and experienced musician, it took an hour a day for four years just on sightreading (not learning piano playing) to reach a level of proficiency.

Like I said, ABC provides an easy way to convert to traditional dots and lines for those that want to share their music with others. Like I said, for the 10% to 20% that struggle mightily with sight reading it is a popular alternative. There are thousands upon thousands of arrangements in ABC notation. Like I said, every beginner should have a go at regular notation, because a person won't know if they are in the low aptitude group until they try it. A person might well in the top 20% aptitude group and extoll the virtues of dots and lines for all the world. Most are going to be in the average group and with two or three years of 15 minutes a day of work, will reach a modest level of sight reading proficiency.

Those in that high aptitude group tell us in the low group just keep at it, it will click. Sigh. The reality is that that click might involve four years of an hour a day of walking on cut glass in bare feet. Those that chose that road, bless them, but I am taking a different road. It is a conscious choice. I write about ABC notation, especially for those of us in the low aptitude group, because there are other ways to make music. Yes, you give things up, but those are mostly things that are not likely to be accessible to you anyway.

#2011112 - 01/08/13 10:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Sand Tiger, you're right - what it boils down to is what each of us decides is a priority, and how we choose to spend our time - what we think will most benefit us.

What is important is that you are having fun with your music and are passionate about it. And it is very very clear to all of us that both are true for you.

I guess it is human nature to say "oh, but THIS way is really great - don't you want to try it?"

It is also hard for people in general to understand "what's so hard about xzy" if they find it easy, or relatively easy. We often think , well, if "I" can do it, anyone can - but we don't always truly "get it" that for whatever reason - somethings just don't work for some people.

It is inevitable that later on someone will come back again and say "why dont' you...." but I doubt very much it will be anyone who has followed the last few posts.

As they say... "Different strokes for different folks" -
just keep making beautiful music and having fun!

#2011155 - 01/08/13 12:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Sand Tiger - + 1 several times.

I happen to be a fairly good sight reader, tho if I haven't done it in awhile I fall out of the habit. But I do understand that lots of folks aren't like me, and have different priorities, and, FWIW, even get enjoyment from different challenges. I'm not one who is into taking lessons, and what I enjoy is learning - the way I learn. Never mind what a good teacher might be able to teach - my temperament is such that I get a huge kick out of learning the way that I do, and if I had to take lessons, well, I wouldn't be playing piano. So I have the same problem with those who are always suggesting that having a teacher is the only way, or even the best way, to go, that Sand Tiger has with people who suggest that it is somehow deficient to not read music.

But the real thing for me is - this is the "Achievement of the Week Thread" - and that's what I like about it - celebrating achievements. It just seems strange that folks might use it for, essentially, criticism, even if they, supposedly, think its "constructive" or they're being "helpful". Much less the tone of voice they do it in :\ I'd rather just celebrate.

So thumbs up to all our achievements smile

And mine is - I soloed at a dance last Saturday on a strathspey by Muriel Johnstone that a year ago I couldn't have done at all, much less have learned it to tempo in 3 weeks. Yea! All of the time I've been putting in practicing seems to be paying off!

Cathy

Edited by jotur (01/08/13 12:04 PM)

#2011227 - 01/08/13 02:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Sand Tiger: I understand what it means to struggle with something you are not talented for, for me it is ear training. I will never be able to play by ear, but still I enjoy studying and playing. We have to go around our weakness, in a way or another.

My AOTW: first lesson this year. My teacher declared that my Bach invention (in F) was, after months, really OK, and I could choose the next; as I usually have a "I want to do this" list, I proposed number 15, in B minor.

To counterbalance my success with Bach, I made a real disaster with my Chopin prelude. On Sunday I played it well, my husband praised me a lot, and he's a really demanding listener; yesterday evening the prelude was still OK and this afternoon I couldn't play 2 bars in a row without making a mess, and the prelude is 12 only bar long! Every time I tried, it was even worse.
I put a lot of effort into it, and I really love it, so I feel a bit disheartened...

casinitaly: why don't we start a topic D(isaster)OTW?

#2011314 - 01/08/13 04:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: torquenale]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: torquenale

casinitaly: why don't we start a topic D(isaster)OTW?

Torquenale - there are TONS of DOTW --- or DoT DAY threads. This one is meant to be a counterbalance to keep us in perspective.

Believe me - it is far easier to complain and be upset about what went wrong than it is to rejoice in the baby steps of progress.

Take it from a woman who actually cried through the last 15 minutes of her lesson today...... sad, but true. My poor teacher. frown

#2011347 - 01/08/13 05:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Torquenale - there are TONS of DOTW --- or DoT DAY threads. This one is meant to be a counterbalance to keep us in perspective.

casinitaly, you are right. It's better to give more value to the positive side.
And all my sympathy for your bad lesson today smile

#2011361 - 01/08/13 05:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: torquenale]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: torquenale

casinitaly, you are right. It's better to give more value to the positive side.
And all my sympathy for your bad lesson today smile

Thanks. It was brutal.

My jazz piece went well, but my German Dances just fell to pieces.....I thought I'd really made progess, but ...ah well.

My jazz piece went well. smile

#2011362 - 01/08/13 05:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Cas sorry to hear your last lesson was so rough! Good that you can see where you're making improvements though!

Congrats to everyone on their achievements (too many to mention!)

I have no idea what I would consider mine to be. Seems like it's been the same old same old for the last few weeks. Least I'm not going backwards! LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011371 - 01/08/13 06:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl,

I share your pain. Had a real bad lesson last week where I just could not for the life of me play Moonlight for my teacher at even 50% of the way I had been practicing it all week. So frustrated I actually cussed out loud at the lesson, shocking my poor sensitive teacher beyond belief I'm sure.

I looked for a graphic to describe frustration with mistakes and this one rang pretty true for me....

I like this one too....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2011376 - 01/08/13 06:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Ah Casinitaly...that's a bad lesson when it makes you cry. I know you have come so far and enjoy your music so much.

Sounds like already (8 days into the year) there is much to celebrate. One of you said it, "as long as you enjoy the music". We have to remember there are a million different patterns in music and we're not here to make a living (well maybe Jotur) just to play. My achievement is that C# minor did not scare me this morning. I KNEW it was 4 sharps and could play the scales and chords! Baby steps to celebrate.

I just spent the weekend at a dog show in Texas where my girl was very competitive in the top 4 of a very nice group of 9 dogs (out of 25 females showing). She didn't win...not one of the 4 shows (placed but didn't win). Nothing I can practice to make it better. Nothing I can do differently. It just wasn't her day or her judge. Piano, at least, I know there's something I can strive towards to be better. MUCH less frustrating.

Edited by WiseBuff (01/08/13 06:17 PM)

Love to learn

#2011378 - 01/08/13 06:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
But enough of the negative. I had another lesson today and, although I still didn't play Moonlight as well as I think I can, it was a big improvement on last week. We have also been working on some improv on lead sheets and that is going well. Plus I have a new Beethoven minuet assigned... one that is quite famous..and that should be fun to get started on.

I will give myself a break............ I will not cuss at lessons......

Estonia L190 #7284

#2011390 - 01/08/13 06:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
My AotW is that my teacher remarked I had made great progress since the last lesson!

I did then point out the last lesson was 3.5 weeks ago and if I could do 3.5 weeks every week it would be great ... oh well wink

But the best news, check out my signature now - I finally wore my teacher down till she agreed we would try Chopin's Nocturne in Eb Major. Not sure if I'll be so happy after I've tried playing it but for now it's super great!!

Kawai K3

#2011411 - 01/08/13 07:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Heh, I like my little disasters in my life. They comfort me, because they aren't so big anyway, they make me feel human and they disappear before even the next one can happen.

Bought the urtext book of Chopin's nocturnes today! I have a lot of printed sheet music from IMSLP or copied sheet from my teacher or library. But this is my first sheet book I ever bought. It feels very special to have it. And not very expensive too.

I like the reaction of saleswoman when I asked for piano sheet music. 'That's the whole store', she said. That made me smile.

Should go there more often. It's just a mile away from my home.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2011428 - 01/08/13 08:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

casinitaly - been there, done that. In a group piano class at a community college, several years ago :\ I did, however, survive laugh I'm sure much to some people's chagrin, but *I'm* happy!

And I didn't screw up *everything* at the assisted living place today, either laugh So things are looking up.

Cathy

#2011434 - 01/08/13 08:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Cheryl, you do fine next time. I understand it totally. It's kind of hard to switch from everyday mode to playing in front of the teacher mode. I exchange greetings with my teacher and I have hard time sometimes to get back into my inner piano player mode. I recall I never had this problem as a kid. I just went and played. I an trying to get good at it - I mean switching to piano playing quickly. If I can do it, then, I think I can play at least in the same level I play at home. I quote what a professional singer told me lately when I was having hard time to hit high A, "You've done it once, then hyou can do it. It's all mental."

Edited by FarmGirl (01/08/13 08:55 PM)

#2011473 - 01/08/13 10:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
"
Quote:
....You've done it once, then hyou can do it. It's all mental."

To paraphrase Yogi Berra*: It's ninety percent mental, and the other half is physical.

CAS, sometimes it's there, sometimes not. Tomorrow is another day. (Another quote, this time Scarlett O'hara.)

My AOTW: I hauled out Chopin's Waltz in A Minor and went back to work on it. I learned it last spring but never got to any kind of polished state. I've played through it a few times now, and it's still rusty, but here's hoping I'll get the rust out and put some polish on.

*U.S. baseball player who gained a reputation for saying things like "The game isn't over until it's over." "The future ain't what it used to be." "It gets late early out there."
Yogi-isms

#2011501 - 01/09/13 12:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Andy, that's so exciting to be starting the Chopin Nocturne! I seem to have a love-hate relationship with the Chopin pieces I've done. I love the music, and I love the initial learning phase for each piece, but I always seem to get to that frustrating point where I feel like I can't make anymore progress, but it's not yet what I would considered "finished". For my current Chopin (C# minor waltz), my teacher told me I should just record it, before I start on a new piece, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it yet.*

I did, however, play it for my son while he was home for Christmas. (It's one of the few classical pieces that he knows and likes.) It had been giving me some grief for a while before that, so I had set it aside. But when I came back to it after a few days break, it had somehow "clicked". So although the impromptu performance was not quite up to tempo, and there are still spots that need work, it was convincing enough.

I had a fun few weeks off from lessons and didn't have a lot to do in the way of assignments, so I decided to pick up the next Bach 3-part Invention on my list and try to learn it. (Ignoring my teacher's advice to not start a new piece until I finished the Chopin; I couldn't resist!) This is #11 in G minor, and I think it's my favorite of them, so I was very motivated. I hope I have time to play it at my lesson tomorrow to get some feedback.

*Recording should be a lot easier for me now, since my husband got me a new SD card for my recorder. It can now hold two hours worth of music, rather than just 15 minutes. If I make a mistake, I can just start over, rather than having to keep erasing all the bad takes.

My husband also gave me a very cool music-related Christmas gift. I'll try to post pictures later this week.

#2011510 - 01/09/13 12:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
But the real thing for me is - this is the "Achievement of the Week Thread" - and that's what I like about it - celebrating achievements. It just seems strange that folks might use it for, essentially, criticism, even if they, supposedly, think its "constructive" or they're being "helpful". Much less the tone of voice they do it in :\ I'd rather just celebrate.

I agree re: the tone of voice... and I'm hoping my voice wasn't one whose tone might be viewed as objectionable.

FWIW, this whole thing did start off with Sand Tiger expressing a frustration, so I think it was natural for people to suggest ways to help:

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
I am into week 2 for Canon in D. The four-part traditional chamber arrangement in ABC notation is tough to work with, but then so would any printed score for me.

Kudos to you though Sand Tiger for being patient with all of us, particularly in writing out this last lengthy post. I'm guessing you never would have imagined that one offhand remark re: ABC notation would turn into all this! smile

To take this in another direction, what are your thoughts on ear training? I've tried the apps, and I feel like it's totally hopeless. Every time I think I'm making progress it doesn't seem to really stick. I can't even tell the difference (reliably) between a fifth and an octave. Is having ear talent something that you are just born with (well, you were it seems, but I mean for the rest of us losers), or can it be trained in? So far I'm not having any luck, but maybe I'm being impatient or using the wrong tools.

My AOTW is getting started on my new 40/20/20/20 plan (thanks to aforementioned Sand Tiger). In my 40% of time working on Just The Way You Are, I've noticed that it is really muddy. I think I have this diagnosed correctly as a combination of too much pedal and not having a lighter touch with the left hand to just keep the overall volume down so that the melody stands out as it should. So, as always I consider diagnosis of a problem to be an achievement (of sorts).

Also, not my achievement per se, but both of my girls are suddenly showing interest in the piano. My older daughter has not played previously, aside from one finger type stuff that she has learned by rote. She asked me to show her how to read music the other day, so she's starting down that road.

My younger daughter played before (as I've mentioned previously in much more detail) and she too is starting to spend a little more time on the bench. She asked me to help her learn a hymn, which is exciting.

We're only 38 days away from ABFR# 29... yikes! Not sure I'm going to be ready. Just too much going on in life and not enough bench time.

Edited by aTallGuyNH (01/09/13 12:40 AM)
Edit Reason: ABFR# typo

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2011513 - 01/09/13 12:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
I can't even tell the difference (reliably) between a fifth and an octave.

You are not alone. I think I'm better than I once was, because I think I now sing "some-where" over the rainbow as an octave. But I had a heck of a time trying to tell which register on the keyboard an Eb played on a bass guitar was, and then couldn't figure out whether the next note was up or down from there frown It was pretty frustrating.

But I do think it's getting better (she says). I can sight-sing pretty well, so you'd think playing by ear would be easy, but no-o-o-o.

Cathy

#2011534 - 01/09/13 02:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

BeccaBb: sometimes just holding steady IS the accomplishment!

JimF -- sorry to hear you shared my frustration, but glad this week was better for you. I am so looking forward to getting a "pass" on these pieces. I don't even like them, which makes it all the harder to work at them. bah. --btw - loved your graphics! They make me laugh!
I will give myself a break............ I will not cry at lessons......

Andy - congrats on getting on to the Eb! That will be something to really sink your teeth into!

Wisebuff - good reminders!!! I wonder if your dog "enjoyed the journey" smile

PaperClip - well, I'm glad you manage to enjoy your little disasters, that's a much healthier approach indeed! What fun shopping for music. I've put myself on hold for the moment as I've got more than is probably reasonable at this point in time... but oh, it is irresistable!

Jotur/Cathy.... oh, if I'd screwed up in front of a group, heaven knows what my reaction would be! Good for you for just getting on with it. I need to develop thicker skin.

Farmgirl- thanks for the encouragement, as always!

MaryBee, what fun to play something special for your son - and to sneak in a new piece you are so keen on too smile Your hubby was very tuned in to your music needs this year, wasn't he? I'm very curious about the music-related object you'll be posting pics of.....

TallGuy - I think ear training comes with exposure. I think.
I know I've got a pretty good ear - but I've also had a lot of exposure to written music and a good understanding of what things should sound like (now, I may not be able to PLAY what I know it should sound like, but that's a different story). The reason I think you can improve your ear is that I 've noticed my husband, who could never carry a tune, has developed the little habit of humming the music I'm playing and over the past couple of years he's gone from not sounding anything like what I play to echoing the melody almost bang-on. It is a very small example, but it makes me think it can happen with time and exposure.
How lovely that your daughters are becoming more interested in piano! You'll have to start looking for music for six hands smile

#2011560 - 01/09/13 05:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Andy, we expect to begin an analysis of the Chopin Nocturne soon in the analysis thread. You might keep an eye out or you could stick it in out of sequence; Jeff is keen to start it soon so no-one's going to mind and I even plan on throwing out a performance of it when I'm familiar with my new DP, due to arrive soon.

And congrats for the getting the go ahead!

#2011583 - 01/09/13 07:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Take it from a woman who actually cried through the last 15 minutes of her lesson today...... sad, but true. My poor teacher.

Aww, Cas sorry to hear that. I had a rough one too, not bad enough to make me cry but certainly disappointing considering I had 2 weeks off to practice. frown. And just because you flubbed one doesn't mean you weren't well prepared. Happens alla time.

The fact that you are so advanced to me and still have bad days/lessons inspires me that I'm not alone in these things.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2011585 - 01/09/13 07:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll

The fact that you are so advanced to me and still have bad days/lessons inspires me that I'm not alone in these things.

Well, that put a smile on my face.

I know what you mean - we all like (dare I say NEED) to know we're not alone, and it happens.

Today my practice is going well. I even videod my hands so I could double check on myself!!! lol.....obsessive ? hmm, maybe.

#2011591 - 01/09/13 07:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
I was havin` a crack at Mendelssohn`s op38 4. Was pleasantly surprised at how pleasant it is . . .and playable!

""

Page 116 of 228 < 1 2 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 227 228 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1682 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156292 Topics
2295364 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
30 minutes 39 seconds ago
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Today at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission