2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 221 of 540 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 539 540
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Congratulations on your performance, Andy!! This is always such an accomplishment! But, it's wonderful that you are able to share your music!!!

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
I performed (the Chopin Nocturne Eb) at a retirement home today - it was very well attended. A little shaky (mostly in my leg this time) but I perfomed it pretty well.

Congratulations, must have been difficult hope it's the start of many more to come

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
I performed (the Chopin Nocturne Eb) at a retirement home today - it was very well attended.

Congrats, Andy. How do you like performing in retirement homes? That is one thing I have thought about doing.
I know those people are ignored too much. They don't want patronization. I worked in one when I was in High School. I could see asking them to listen to do me a favor and let me know what they think. That would be good.

But then, my Homer Simpson like mind kicks in. I start thinking of doing Ray Charles; What'd I say? With a bunch of old ladies singing the chorus. Maybe I just want to corrupt old people?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I performed (the Chopin Nocturne Eb) at a retirement home today - it was very well attended. A little shaky (mostly in my leg this time) but I perfomed it pretty well.

That's great Andy,

I do this every couple of months too. They enjoy most everything musical. I usually try to play things from their era but some of the others play classical pieces and they're always appreciated too. Bless you for doing this charity work. heart

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My AOTW is that I finally jumped into the Ecco Fatto Cafe. Oh yah, and managed to open an acct at YouTube without putting a couple rounds through my computer screen. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by rnaple
Congrats, Andy. How do you like performing in retirement homes? That is one thing I have thought about doing.
I know those people are ignored too much. They don't want patronization. I worked in one when I was in High School. I could see asking them to listen to do me a favor and let me know what they think. That would be good.

But wear your thick skin! If you ask for criticism, you'll get it! And, particularly if it's a Jewish home, they'll all have a grandson who is a REAL concert pianist, and want to talk about him, not you :-)

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
But wear your thick skin! If you ask for criticism, you'll get it! And, particularly if it's a Jewish home, they'll all have a grandson who is a REAL concert pianist, and want to talk about him, not you :-)

The biggest complaint was when we moved the piano in front of the TV while setting up ...

... it was actually at the retirement home of the grandmother of one of the high school students so it was a "friendly" crowd. And, from our side it wasn't a recital as such it was our normal "adult" (including some high schoolers) practice workshop. Though I wouldn't have performed if my piece wasn't ready.

And, nobody had a grandson who was a concert pianist but there was an ex-member of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

How offensive!! frown These are sweeping generalizations and stereotypes that are untrue and inappropriate!

Carl

R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R

The biggest complaint was when we moved the piano in front of the TV while setting up ...

That sounds about right. smile

..so it was a "friendly" crowd. And, from our side it wasn't a recital as such it was our normal "adult" (including some high schoolers) practice workshop. ...

So this is a regular thing? I'd like to know more about your "workshops".
I'm prejudging that afternoon is the best time?
I truly am interested in doing this. Maybe even getting to the point that I involve people there in singing. I'd like to know more.

I do know. From years ago driving a taxi here. There are retirement homes here with nice piano's in the lobby. One has a very nice baby grand. Some very nice people who are bored silly.

I laugh about talking about a grandson who is a real concert pianist. Anything to get them going in anyway. That's ok with me.

Ron
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
..so it was a "friendly" crowd. And, from our side it wasn't a recital as such it was our normal "adult" (including some high schoolers) practice workshop. ...

So this is a regular thing? I'd like to know more about your "workshops".
I'm prejudging that afternoon is the best time?
I truly am interested in doing this. Maybe even getting to the point that I involve people there in singing. I'd like to know more.

I do know. From years ago driving a taxi here. There are retirement homes here with nice piano's in the lobby. One has a very nice baby grand. Some very nice people who are bored silly.

I laugh about talking about a grandson who is a real concert pianist. Anything to get them going in anyway. That's ok with me.

No, this isn't a regular thing. We do have a monthly (well, most months) semi-informal adult/high-school get together at the studio where we "perform" works in whatever state they are in. Polished, works in progress, just begun, carrying on ... whatever. We give each other feedback on things to look for. Partly it's just to help us get used to playing in front of others in an informal atmosphere.

Anyway, one of the high school kids asked our teacher if we could do it at the retirement home.

I am also loosely connected to an organization called "Arts are for All Ages" which does do a series of afternoon performances in many retirement communities on weekend afternoons. And I've performed in one of those but I've acted as MC in many of them.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 04/29/13 08:35 AM.

Kawai K3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This reminds me of a thread I read in the Tuner/Tech forum about Nursing homes: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2020272/Overheard_at_a_Nursing_home.html

The one that sent me to the floor was David Jensen (while tuning) overheard one resident say to another "he's not very good is he" laugh I guess she thought he was playing something not tuning the piano.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
This reminds me of a thread I read in the Tuner/Tech forum about Nursing homes: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2020272/Overheard_at_a_Nursing_home.html

The one that sent me to the floor was David Jensen (while tuning) overheard one resident say to another "he's not very good is he" laugh I guess she thought he was playing something not tuning the piano.

smile

I'm not sure the tuner has visited the particular piano I played on in a while ...

Kawai K3
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Thank you Ragdoll... I'll read that thread. Right now I need to hurry up and get to work. One thing nice about my job. I don't answer to anyone. I go in when I feel like it. Yet, I'm responsible.

Andy... So I take it when you do the retirement homes. It is rather a formal, structured thing? Not just gathering with the people and having fun? I still do think about doing fun things like Ray Charles with them. Would be good practice playing, and singing in front of people while blindfolded. smile

Oh....for my AOTW... I have pictures of my new keyboard. If anyone wants to look. You can see I'm not rich in money. I am rich in ways money can't buy.
[img:left]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/kawai1001.jpg/[/img]

Ron
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rnaple
Andy... So I take it when you do the retirement homes. It is rather a formal, structured thing? Not just gathering with the people and having fun? I still do think about doing fun things like Ray Charles with them. Would be good practice playing, and singing in front of people while blindfolded. smile

Yes, it has a program and it's all classical.

I totally get the idea of more informal, popular music, hymns and so forth. But that's not the goal of any of Arts are for All Ages.

Kawai K3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
We were out of town for 4 days and I can't believe how much I missed. I can't catch up right now, but have enjoyed reading what everyone's been up to!

My AOTW was simply to only miss 2 days of piano by playing early in the morning before departure, and late on getting home. Thank goodness for the silent feature! :J)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My AOTW is learning to trust myself on my jumps. My teacher had me play part of the Arabesque and part of the Bach with my eyes closed, and I actually landed in the right place on the jumps. One jump was almost four octaves. I did peek once, but I was in the right place. I don't do quite so well when both hands are jumping at the same time. So, my assignment this week is to play parts with eyes closed. I may need a blindfold though, because it is hard not to peek!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My AOTW is learning to trust myself on my jumps. My teacher had me play part of the Arabesque and part of the Bach with my eyes closed, and I actually landed in the right place on the jumps. One jump was almost four octaves. I did peek once, but I was in the right place. I don't do quite so well when both hands are jumping at the same time. So, my assignment this week is to play parts with eyes closed. I may need a blindfold though, because it is hard not to peek!

Not that I try too much, because my spatial awareness is poor enough I know the result, but I can handle the single hand jumps OK but both together, forget about it. One always tries to compensate for the other and usually they are both off.

I am trying to do the "blindfold" keyboard awareness exercises in Lorina Havill's "Sight Reading for Pleasure" book daily. It's tough, tough, tough for me.

(I read in another book about us all having good spatial awareness and, giving an example, said "Just touch your knee, you never miss." I almost did miss!)

Kawai K3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SwissMS: congratulations for your achievement, it's something I'm working on but still far from me!

Andy Platt: yours it's a big achievement , and a nice thing for the people there. I wonder if retirement homes here in Italy have a piano somewhere, I don't think so.

Ragdoll: so you jumped into the Ecco Fatto Cafe! I've not listened yet, Ihave to catch up with the thread. To post there is something I'm planning to do, but I'm lazy regarding recording and uploading. So far I recorded myself with my camera a couple of time, only for study purpose.

rnaple: nice keyboard, I wish you many many hours of music with it!

My AOTW: my lesson today was really good; it was due last monday, and then postponed at the last minute, so I've had a week more to practice. And in effect the last week I played but not much the assigned pieces. Maybe pieces have to rest a bit...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll: so you jumped into the Ecco Fatto Cafe! I've not listened yet, Ihave to catch up with the thread. To post there is something I'm planning to do,

Posting is a snap, getting the account set up is what drove me up the wall, that and I posted the practice/learning clip. Added the real one today so you can see both there. I messed around for 2+ hrs with YouTube and Box both and finally got Box squared away today for MP3s.

Maybe pieces have to rest a bit...

thumbI really believe they do sometimes. BTDT got the T-shirt. Congratulations on the good lesson

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
R

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by SwissMS
My AOTW is learning to trust myself on my jumps.... with my eyes closed, ...

...I am trying to do the "blindfold" keyboard...

Ye olde Polish proverb:
When afraid of jumping. Jump blindfolded. smile

After all... Now you can imagine what it was like for Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder. smile

Ron
Page 221 of 540 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission