Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2008657 - 01/03/13 05:34 PM The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
The monthly depository of compositions from PianoWorld members!

JANUARY

Happy new year everyone!

This is where we, the pianoworld members and composers offer our compositions free of charge to the rest of the pianoworld members!

Compositions are copyrighted at all times to their respectful owners.

At any time one can delete their compositions in this thread. Though this is not nice, there might be reasons to do so. However, be aware that after some time has passed you can NOT edit your post, in which case you'll need to delete the file from the servers.

If you have troubles uploading, finding webspace, offering or htmling, just let me know. I'm only a PM away, or an email away. It's very easy to get a hold of me!

And if you want, offer your insights on your own works. Offer the score, or the recording. Offer both, or offer your ideas as well. Write as much as you'd like, or as little. Share with us your thoughts about your own works... and when you're done with that, share your thoughts and your feedback about the works of others. Offer and receive!

Finally... enjoy...

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#2008661 - 01/03/13 05:41 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

And let's start off with one of Steve's works!

Steve Chandler wrote his work for solo piano titled 'Luminous' and he's offering it to us.

The recording can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/pantonality
and the score can be found here: http://www.nikolas-sideris.com/EMF/Luminous.pdf

He mentioned that this work is the opposite of his previous piece (in the December thread) titled 'Elegy'. I'd agree that this is a very positive take on things!

#2008784 - 01/03/13 11:28 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
I assume for me to participate in this thread is nearly pointless? I already posted my first and only work here in the CL. frown

#2008803 - 01/04/13 12:35 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Haha!

Here are your options:

a. Post the work here (even if you've already posted it).
b. Allow me to do that for you. But then you wouldn't be able to say anything about your work... frown
c. Don't post the work but comment on the works of others.
d. Leave the thread in shame.
e. Post a new work!

All of the above, except (d) are lovely options and none is too wrong or too right!

In other words: Why not? As long as you're nice (and you're extra nice) just post anything you like, comment, offer feedback, provide the background of your work... and share the love for composing and music! ^_^

#2008804 - 01/04/13 12:39 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
Haha!

Here are your options:

a. Post the work here (even if you've already posted it).
b. Allow me to do that for you. But then you wouldn't be able to say anything about your work... frown
c. Don't post the work but comment on the works of others.
d. Leave the thread in shame.
e. Post a new work!

All of the above, except (d) are lovely options and none is too wrong or too right!

In other words: Why not? As long as you're nice (and you're extra nice) just post anything you like, comment, offer feedback, provide the background of your work... and share the love for composing and music! ^_^

I think this is a really great idea and it's totally cool what you're doing here! I just wish more people on PW composed. The Composer's Lounge always feels so lonely.

#2008808 - 01/04/13 12:51 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Joel_W
I just wish more people on PW composed. The Composer's Lounge always feels so lonely.
I have a different take. It doesn't feel lonely to me because I imagine all these people who compose popping in from time to time, posting a work, making a comment. They're not hanging out here all the time because they're busy composing! My internet connection is pretty dodgy, and sometimes I can't even listen to recordings at all, but I still pop over here when I have time, and see what's going on. I haven't posted any of my own works yet - maybe one day I'll get my technological act together. smile

#2008814 - 01/04/13 01:19 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

While I agree with curra, I will also mention that in my opinion we composers (my included of course) suffer from a sort of autism: We are ashamed to show our works, we feel bad if we dare promote our works, and we try to hide our best work as if the world would end if we were better than the masters of classical music!

(This is why I started EMF... To battle my tendency to hide...)...

#2008815 - 01/04/13 01:22 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

and we try to hide our best work as if the world would end if we were better than the masters of classical music!

What do you mean by this?

#2008816 - 01/04/13 01:22 AM The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: JoelW]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I just wish more people on PW composed. The Composer's Lounge always feels so lonely.

What is the saying? . . . "Be careful what you wish for."

#2008896 - 01/04/13 09:10 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: JoelW]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
and we try to hide our best work as if the world would end if we were better than the masters of classical music!

What do you mean by this?

I know exactly what he means. Composing is a very solitary activity. It's a lot of work to bring even a short piece into existence. By the time a piece is done I'm usually pretty tired of it, but still insecure about it (or parts of it). Then the thought enters the mind, "What of people don't like it?"

I never consider the possibility of being better than any of the masters. That never enters my mind, because I see inadequacies in my own capabilities. My memory could be better. If I play something I like I struggle to reproduce it and usually have considered a bunch of other possibilities by the time I do. I'm too aware of my shortcomings to think I might approach the quality of the masters.

Finally, I think back to my student days when I wrote in a more modern style. I'm well aware that many will perceive my work as conservative, but when you've been composing for 4 decades you don't do it to please others. If I don't enjoy listening to my own work I won't expect anyone else to. Yet I don't want to be completely irrelevant so I have developed a style that tries to balance my need to enjoy the listening experience with my interest in unique harmonic combinations.

#2008966 - 01/04/13 01:46 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: Steve Chandler]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just listened to both "Elegy" and "Luminous", Steve -- IMO, they are, along with "Tender7", your best solo piano compositions. Just curious -- did you yourself post the recordings of these pieces, or is it done via some digital method? I suspect the latter, because it is "mistake-free", but also lacks the expressive character that I think would enhance the impact in both pieces. Thanks for sharing these!

#2009087 - 01/04/13 06:21 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWor [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
Just listened to both "Elegy" and "Luminous", Steve -- IMO, they are, along with "Tender7", your best solo piano compositions. Just curious -- did you yourself post the recordings of these pieces, or is it done via some digital method? I suspect the latter, because it is "mistake-free", but also lacks the expressive character that I think would enhance the impact in both pieces. Thanks for sharing these!

Tim, thank you, coming from you that means a lot. One of the things I had to come to terms with (along time ago) was that I simply don't have the ability necessary to be a very capable pianist. I learn pieces too slowly and I make mistakes (which usually causes the wheels to come off the wagon). But, I love composing and I think I've gotten pretty good at it. In order to get a sense of what my pieces really sound like I had to develop a technique to produce a decent sounding recording. For Luminous I played all the parts into the computer (albeit about half tempo). It is obviously a midi recording in that a computer played samples using midi. I did feel it necessary to edit the performance which took out some (but not all) of the nuance. The world will never (if it has any sense) pay to see me perform these or any other of my pieces.

I do appreciate that you enjoyed them. Elegy and Luminous were conceived to be two sides of the same coin.

Thanks,

#2009273 - 01/05/13 03:12 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
A bit of fun this month, but then I don't take myself seriously at the best of times. I found an old tape recording of me at about twenty. Many pieces on it actually had scores, albeit even rougher than my last ones, still lying around the house.

I remember this one had a story. We had a really rough neighbour, but a good sort, and Mum, Dad and I used to get on the drink with him until three in the morning. Dad had a tin on the kitchen cupboard containing cigars, and after the consumption of half a flagon of local sherry, our neighbour teetered over, helped himself to a large one and demanded I play the piano. This was a musical description of our neighbour. Alas, everyone is now long gone, but how well music captures the spirit of past good times - much better than a photograph.

Cigar Tin Stomp

Cigar Tin Stomp page 1

Cigar Tin Stomp page 2

Cigar Tin Stomp page 3

Edited by Ted (01/05/13 03:24 AM)

#2009278 - 01/05/13 04:04 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I like "Luminous", Steve. How remarkably spontaneous and bright it sounds, almost as if you had looked out the window on a fine morning, sat down and played it on the spot. The effect is delightfully in contrast with your actual method of creation. Don't know how you do that.

#2009403 - 01/05/13 11:33 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ted,

Your Cigar Tin Stomp took me back to my youth when we'd see cartoons with the tin pan alley piano playing. Very cool and nicely done! How did you get the piano to sound just like it would in an old recording?

Glad you liked Luminous, you're right it was anything but a spontaneous creation, but I'm glad it sounds like one. I don't know how I do it either. Thanks.

#2009427 - 01/05/13 12:09 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Ted,

Your Cigar Tin is marvelous. I'm not as old as Steve, but I think neither Steve is THAT old! wink I still, however, get the same vibes as he did from your piece. Brilliant.

And as a side note I just love the way your scores look. It's fabulous to look at them and enjoy your handwriting and thoughts, and deleted parts and everything.

Here's the score combined into a single PDF file:

http://www.musica-ferrum.com/documents/The%20Cigar%20Tin.pdf

#2009517 - 01/05/13 03:37 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for listening, Nikolas and Steve. It was actually the other way around, Steve. The tape was awful and I had to make the sound at least bearable. I am sixty-five. For various reasons the recording cannot be earlier than 1967 or later than 1971 but although I remember the event very clearly its exact date escapes me.

All my scores look ratty because I hate the act of writing music. I used to get progressively worse tempered from start to finish and it shows. Thanks for combining them Nikolas, it makes it easier for people.

#2009833 - 01/06/13 04:40 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Ted]
Rune E Offline

Loc: Sweden

Ted Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed listening to your Tin Stomp. This is music that´s make everyone happy :-)
Also agree fully on your comments about Steve´s Luminous. Beautiful piece!

My contribution is a jazz waltz I have been working on for quite some time. Finally got the pieces together:
Jazz Waltz
And here´s how the score look like when recording the piece into a trial version of Sibelius. Unfortunately I have very limited knowledge about scores so I am not able to make the corrections required:
Score

#2009835 - 01/06/13 04:56 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Rune E]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sounds great. Where's the rest of the trio!? wink

#2009868 - 01/06/13 07:39 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: JoelW]
Rune E Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thanks. The flute and bass players are lurking somewhere in the Casio bank, I believe wink

#2009876 - 01/06/13 08:11 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Don't forget the drums! I hear the chick of the high hat.. and brushwork on the snare. (perhaps because I am a drummer myself)

#2010041 - 01/06/13 02:13 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Steve:

Luminous is really pretty. Wish I could add more but don't know enough yet! Very nice to listen too. May have to listen a few times more!

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2010046 - 01/06/13 02:18 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ted:

Cigar Tin Stomp sounds like tons of fun to play! Just awesome! smile

Rune E: A very nice mellow tune. smile Something I'd like to eat to! LOL

Awesome songs you guys. smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2010070 - 01/06/13 02:51 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Rune: Lovely stuff! And the score, while it's not clear, gives a very precise point on what's going on!

It's very catchy and, exactly because of the bass and the flute, it reminded me a bit of Claude Bolling... wink Perhaps you've heard of him?

In either way I hope that this week I'll be able to post on of my works for solo piano. And it's not a miniature like last month! smile

#2010074 - 01/06/13 02:56 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay so this is my first to share (only my second written!) I'm sorry there is no music to accompany the score but I'm still having issues recording at the moment.

I think it sounds better than I expected! LOL Anyways hope you can enjoy a beginner's attempts. smile

Opus. No.2.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2010169 - 01/06/13 05:50 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

This is my take on the écossaise form. Though it is not in 2/4... nor is it dance-y... and I don't think it's very Scottish. I guess it's nothing like an écossaise. ha

http://musescore.com/joel_w/untitled

#2010499 - 01/07/13 09:33 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: JoelW]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

This is my take on the écossaise form. Though it is not in 2/4... nor is it dance-y... and I don't think it's very Scottish. I guess it's nothing like an écossaise. ha

http://musescore.com/joel_w/untitled

Joel you may think it's none of those things, but I thought it was dance-y, though perhaps not Scottish. It was delightful and should be longer, there's a lot you could do with this.

#2010541 - 01/07/13 11:25 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Joel,

I agree with Steve. And it IS delightful.

I would, however, like to comment on the difficulty level of your work(s)... I think it's a tad more difficult that one would expect... :-/ But still it's a brilliant piece of music. (and there are a few tiny spots in the score that need correcting, if you want me to let you know...).

#2010548 - 01/07/13 11:40 AM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joel,

I agree with Steve. And it IS delightful.

I would, however, like to comment on the difficulty level of your work(s)... I think it's a tad more difficult that one would expect... :-/ But still it's a brilliant piece of music. (and there are a few tiny spots in the score that need correcting, if you want me to let you know...).

Thanks Steve and thanks Nikolas.

Nikolas, I would love advice.

#2010583 - 01/07/13 01:02 PM Re: The - JANUARY - depository of compositions from PianoWorld [Re: Nikolas]
Nikolas Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Great Joel,

I'm glad you're so open about this. Here goes:

1. Any clashing elements should be eliminated. Some slurs touch the notes, etc...
2. If you're unclear about the pedal, just let it be. Are you sure you want pedal in the half of bar 1 and then at bar 4 only? I bet most pianists would use a bit of sustain pedalling around the places of the big gaps (to bridge the space that is), and perhaps in other places as well.
3. The dynamics go between the two staves, not above (the dim. sign in bar 4).
4. The tempo markings and alterations always go above the two staves.
5. A dynamic marking at the end of a bar is a bit weird (the last p on bar 12). It's difficult to say exactly when it applies.
6. There appears to be missing a slur in the final bars. How you want these 16ths played?
7. But even more, there's a staccato dot in hand the last bars, but not all. Is this intentional or not?
8. Finally. The doppio movimento. Ok, I get what you mean and it makes sense, but somehow I think that 32nds would be a better choice. They would surely panic the pianist and righfully so. Right now you're cheating the eye a bit like this... wink

hope these comments help a bit.

Nikolas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (accordeur, Alex-SapRenovation, ando, Al LaPorte, 41 invisible), 1911 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75574 Members
42 Forums
156262 Topics
2294841 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Proper chunking method
by Edtek
57 minutes 46 seconds ago
Lamp for Piano
by DancerJ
59 minutes 59 seconds ago
Sonatina in G
by Ritzycat
Today at 03:06 PM
schulze pollmann upright piano SP-114/p4
by how0425
Today at 03:01 PM
Looking for my next piece
by Mallory
Today at 02:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission