2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 128 of 540 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 539 540
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryBee, With great difficulty, i took screen shot of the composition and posted it to June piano bar. BTW, how do you provide a link to your post or anyone's post. I sometimes see people do that but I could not figure out. I am very bad at figuring out these things.. Maybe i should stick to pencils.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's an interesting little composition FarmGirl. It seems to go through several key changes in a very short time.

John, congratulations on your exam results! I just finished up learning three of the Gnossiennes. Those are fun.

Eglantine, you are learning music from some composers I've never heard of before: Frescobaldi, Froberger, Croft, Blow. So I looked up some info on each of them and am listening to some of their music right now. Are you playing these on piano or harpsichord?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
MaryBee, thanks. it is actually a song to welcome people to the forum.. I had words to go with it but could not figure out how to put it in. But the real finding is that, its far easier to do it on computer. I may have to pay real money to obtain a good one. It beats pencils and eraser. I like pieces with modulations but hey, this is just my first experiment.

Eglantine, I am jealous, i am so interested in Harpsichord too. I cannot afford it right now but I love the sound. It gave chill to my spine.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I've been very disheartened lately at the idea of never being able to play anything perfectly. I know in my heart that, at least with my current attitude, there is simply no way I will ever be able to play a piece of music perfectly, especially when I really try to put myself into it.

Well, I ran into a quote from Vladimir Horowitz that will help me change my perspective, and I thought it was so powerful that it was worth sharing.

“I must tell you I take terrible risks. Because my playing is very clear, when I make a mistake you hear it. If you want me to play only the notes without any specific dynamics, I will never make one mistake. Never be afraid to dare."

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Sam, you will play any piece you attempt to play like a pro given a time and how talented you are. Many adult beginners won't reach such hight like Horowitz but I can totally picture you winning Van Clivan (spelling?) Amateur contest when you become old enough to enter, ahh..in 10 or 12 years. If you don't quit, continue to work diligently, you will get there. Believe it or not, the hardest part for adult beginners is not to quit when life happens (dating, marriage, work, more schooling, etc). Keep up with your good work.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
My ATOW last week was a) to not get too upset when my teacher had to cancel and b) to finish memorizing my Papa Mozart piece.
a) that's always a disappointment. frown
b) I thought you had given up on Mozart! Have you had a change of heart?

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Eglantine - liberated! I love it. I'm still very much looking forward to hearing these harpsichord pieces.

FarmGirl, I listened to your composition on the computer, but then printed it out, because I'm sure it is prettier than the computer managed- what a lovely idea!

JOhn - Congrats, that's quite an achievement indeed!!!

Sam - I'm glad you are giving up on the idea that you have to be perfect. As FarmGirl said, you're young and you're talented. You'll be able to make great strides- just be patient with yourself!!! (I know, easier said than done!)

MaryBee, I gave up on A.Mozart, this piece is by L. Mozart, Amadeus' dad smile....you're very attentive smile

Lesson scheduled for Friday, .. fingers crossed that it will come to pass as planned!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
OK, AotW was finally memorizing my pieces for the recital. Although I won't label them as 100% solid yet.

The Chopin prelude in E minor was the hardest - it has very subtle harmonic changes, largely chromatic, with no pattern to the beat that the change would occur on or how long the (repeated 8th) notes are played for. Some changes can be reversed without causing an obvious change in the piece and some subtle variations can, likewise, go unrecognized. Further, if you lose track it's hard to figure out any good rewind points!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Break a leg, Andy. We know you will play beautifully. The E-minor looks so easy and is soooooo hard to get just the way you want it. Have fun at your recital.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Andy,

in boca al lupo! (you have to say "crepi")

(in the mouth of the wolf!) (he will die!)

Then all will be well.
No, all will be well becuase of the practice and focus work you've put into these pieces.

I hope we get to hear them!
What is the date of your recital?

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Andy,

Then all will be well.
No, all will be well becuase of the practice and focus work you've put into these pieces.

Saturday the 16th ... but I will lose this weekend's practice because we're away for the weekend.

By the way, I noticed your signature the other week - you can't imagine how touched I was by that!!!

I'm playing the three Chopin preludes I've been learning but I'm still not ready for the full Rameau so it will be the theme + four variations ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Andy,

Then all will be well.

Saturday the 16th ... but I will lose this weekend's practice because we're away for the weekend.

By the way, I noticed your signature the other week - you can't imagine how touched I was by that!!!

I'm playing the three Chopin preludes I've been learning but I'm still not ready for the full Rameau so it will be the theme + four variations ...

I can imagine how delightful it is to work on three Chopin pieces at once!
I can also imagine how missing the weekend of practice makes you feel! I hope you have so much fun you won't have time to fret!

(I was wondering when you would notice the siggy line smile When I saw what you'd written, it just struck a chord (pun fully intended!)

[Linked Image]

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Andy, you will nail it again. I agree with you on the assessment of 28-4. It's not easy to play it well. I love the mood of the piece. I am jealous too that you could get to study 3 chopin pieces. Good luck.

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
My Kawai cx-4 was delivered Monday and my 100 yr old Beckwith baby grand sold the same afternoon. I won't miss the tinny sounds of Big Bertha.

I sooooo look forward to practice now. That's my inspiration for the week!

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
B
B
Originally Posted by Sam Rose

(...Horowitz said...):
“I must tell you I take terrible risks. Because my playing is very clear, when I make a mistake you hear it. If you want me to play only the notes without any specific dynamics, I will never make one mistake. Never be afraid to dare."

That's a great quote, Sam. My teacher always rides me for playing tentatively where I am uncertain - he'd rather I play strongly, to get in the habit of making the right character of sounds, I think, even if I blow the notes.

How interesting to hear that Horowitz made mistakes (or so he says) when putting his dynamics in...

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
B
B
Good luck with your recital, Andy! You're playing a bunch of stuff now that I really hope to master in the next couple years... Fur Elise, Prelude in Em... I should listen to your other things since it seems like we have similar tastes! Have fun!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by bessel

How interesting to hear that Horowitz made mistakes (or so he says) when putting his dynamics in...

You don't need to take his word for it! Just go listen to many of his recordings on youtube (1st ballade, 4th ballade, and others) and, if you listen carefully, you'll hear many note mistakes. But the important thing is that the music NEVER wavers.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
B
B
I've had a busy piano week or two, but am feeling like progress is as through through molasses...

I'm working on Schumann's "The happy farmer returns from work" from his "Album for the young"... which I'm finding devilishly difficult in a way similar to how Mozart's (oops, Bach's... thanks Andy) (really Petzold's) Minuet in G was... straining my two-hands coordination and brain. Looks and sounds so easy, and I'm finding it's not, for me. But it's coming along, slowly, hopefully burning new neural pathways that will help me with future pieces. smile In the meantime I have to remind myself to be patient in my struggles!

Inspiration-wise... we went to see a night of classical piano last Friday... two pianists, each first doing some solo playing then a Mozart concerto with a chamber orchestra. The second pianist was Daniil Trifonov, who was amazing almost beyond belief. His solo works were some things by Schubert and Schumann, transposed by Liszt, which were out of this world. He has an amazing ability to bring the emotion of a piece up through himself and sing it out through the piano... even when he's playing single notes, much less when he's really exercising the keys. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it was incredible to watch and to listen to.

Last edited by bessel; 06/07/12 10:25 PM.

B
B
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Originally Posted by bessel

You don't need to take his word for it! Just go listen to many of his recordings on youtube (1st ballade, 4th ballade, and others) and, if you listen carefully, you'll hear many note mistakes. But the important thing is that the music NEVER wavers.

I believe you, but I don't think I'd hear them! I'd have to listen to someone else's note-perfect version many times, or try to learn to play them... (that'll be a while!)

That is very cool to know, though.

X
X
Hello, I am new in this forum, nice to meet all pianist here. smile

Hmm, sad to say my piano playing is getting stagnant.

This new piano teacher of mine did not make me progress much, i know partly also becos i am lazy to practice, but... i just feel that my previous teacher is so much better. Am thinking of self-learn first.

Anyway, i am currrently learning the pop songs, i like!

Last edited by xiaojing11; 06/07/12 10:00 PM.

Music is for life
Page 128 of 540 1 2 126 127 128 129 130 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission