Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2009951 - 01/06/13 11:32 AM Can i learn piano by myself?
Fatih Offline

Hi Guys,

I will tell you what i have been through.

I bought a piano and i registered to a music school. But the people were so unrespectful. So, i quited after only 1 lesson.

2nd music school was fine but we had issues about prices and i couldn't even get a lesson.

Yesterday i called a teacher, whom i found on a website. He came to my house a couple hours ago. It was the funniest 1 hour i have ever had because HE COULDN'T PLAY PIANO. He was just doing some accords to look like he could play but he couldn't. I told him "Sorry sir. But you don't know how to play piano". This was the weirdest thing i have ever done smile . But he deserved that.

Anyways, i am so pissed off now. I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

What do you think? Can i do it alone? (I am 22)

Let's say you think i can do it alone. But how will i get over solfege???

TY smile

Edited by Fatih (01/06/13 11:34 AM)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2010122 - 01/06/13 04:22 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Yes but most learn much quicker and better with a teacher.

#2010133 - 01/06/13 04:43 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I can only say that I have been told so and hope to do so myself. Like the above poster said however, most people will learn faster with a teacher. You must remember however, that hundreds of thousands of people in the United States have learned to play either by themselves or with just a mentor to give helpful hints and tips. In today's computer age these hints and tips can be gotten off of the Internet. With all we have available to us there certainly should be no reason why you could not teach yourself. You have to remember that for every instrument there was ever made throughout time someone somewhere taught himself to play it for the very first time in human history with no guidance whatsoever.

The method books and resources we have today are excellent. For instance the program I am using, which is from the now defunct US School of Music, was used by Lawrence Welk to teach himself accordion, which as I understand it is about the most difficult instrument to learn, and was good enough for him that after he turned 21 he left the family farm to study music at the Conservatory all while being a professional musician to support himself and put himself in graduate studies. Although that program is no longer available Alfred's Teach Yourself Piano or the Alfred's Basic All In One Piano Method books 1 through 3 Are Great place to begin.

Edited by BillTheSlink (01/06/13 04:46 PM)
Edit Reason: misspelled word
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#2010184 - 01/06/13 06:28 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: BillTheSlink]
Mayla Fox Offline

Sure, you can learn on your own! It won't be the same as if a caring, knowledgeable teacher is also invested in your endeavor, but perhaps that is not what you are actually looking for?

Yes, ages ago, people taught themselves to play each instrument ... and then, throughout the ages, documented successes and failures in all fields have taken place on behalf of humankind and to the benefit of instrumentalists. You can get helpful hints from YouTubes, yes, but that alone doesn't give you a second set of eyes and ears to help you understand whether or not you are actually enacting what you feel you are learning.

Edited by Mayla Fox (01/06/13 06:29 PM)

#2010186 - 01/06/13 06:41 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Mayla Fox]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I believe it is better study appropriate hand positions with a teacher.
Although some self-tought people play very nice, I am sometimes terrified to look at their hands - you can also hurt yourself by using incorrect technics.
But is is my humble opinion.

#2010203 - 01/06/13 07:28 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Like guitar, but unlike violin unless you're the next Vivaldi, it is possible to learn the piano without a teacher. But it isn't possible for everybody.

Playing since May 02 2009

#2010214 - 01/06/13 07:51 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Fatih
I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

A lot of the answer depends upon what you mean by "Learning" to play piano. If you mean ... Can I learn to play the right notes on a few tunes ? .... you have already done it with Jingle Bells.

If you mean ... Can I learn to be a concert pianist ? ... probably not.

If you mean play a few songs for my family and friends at get-togethers the answer is probably ... yes.

It all depends upon how good you wish to get.

Starting (and staying) with a teacher is probably the most dependable way to learn to play well. Going it alone, while possible, is not the surest way to go.

If you can afford a teacher, I might suggest you trying to find a credible teacher instead of all of these bad news things you have been trying and then see how it goes. There are very good teachers out there, you just have to find one that works for you.

Edited by dmd (01/06/13 07:55 PM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2010228 - 01/06/13 08:12 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
BarryR Offline

Loc: Tampa Bay, FL
Originally Posted By: Fatih
Hi Guys,

I will tell you what i have been through.

I bought a piano and i registered to a music school. But the people were so unrespectful. So, i quited after only 1 lesson.

2nd music school was fine but we had issues about prices and i couldn't even get a lesson.

Yesterday i called a teacher, whom i found on a website. He came to my house a couple hours ago. It was the funniest 1 hour i have ever had because HE COULDN'T PLAY PIANO. He was just doing some accords to look like he could play but he couldn't. I told him "Sorry sir. But you don't know how to play piano". This was the weirdest thing i have ever done smile . But he deserved that.

Anyways, i am so pissed off now. I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

Let's say you think i can do it alone. But how will i get over solfege???

TY smile

Paul McCartney quit piano lessons after just a few lessons...!!!

#2010263 - 01/06/13 09:18 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Mae L Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Of course you can do your own research n teach yourself. I often come across some people called themselves self-taught pianist, self-taught artist, self-taught plumber, self-taught mechanic, etc.

BUT a good teacher has a lot to offer. S/he is your loyal audience who gives you positive n productive comments, your motivator, your supporter who understands what you are struggling with. A good teacher also knows what you can and can't do, and assigns you the proper pieces and exercises to work on to help you succeed.

#2010279 - 01/06/13 09:47 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
riley80 Offline

Loc: Florida
I don't understand the solfege comment. Can you explain?

#2010321 - 01/06/13 11:37 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Electrokid Offline

Yes, you can learn by yourself...I did...just remember, the only person you need to please is yourself.....if it sounds good to your ears, thats all that matters.

#2010357 - 01/07/13 01:21 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Electrokid]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
You can get "ear-training" programs -- some free.

They'll give you practice in solfege (which I think we call "sight singing" in North America).

Also, there are some music teachers using Skype (and other internet software) to give lessons. You might look for one of those.

One reason for a teacher is to tell you:

. . . You're playing that wrong.

If you record your practice, you may be able to figure that out yourself. But it can be tricky, especially as the music gets harder, and the rhythms become trickier.

. Charles

#2010401 - 01/07/13 04:15 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Yes, you can.
And don't forget to have fun.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2010435 - 01/07/13 06:46 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
dkong99 Offline

Short answer - Yes you can.

For myself I resumed playing the piano after over 45 years. My experience with piano lessons was a rather painful one, my mother would punish me if I didn't learn the lesson as fast or as well as she wanted me to, so naturally when I was allowed to quit to learn the violin, I did so eagerly.

However, I decided once I was in my 50s that I needed to let go of these childhood traumas, perhaps it helps that I've had enough lessons on both the violin and guitar that the basics are firmly instilled. I've resumed the piano using the Alfred's Adult course, at my own pace and this time, I'm enjoying it.

Oh, when I started playing the piano again, my youngest sister sent me my old lesson books. I looked at the progress I made when I was 6 and thought my mother was way off base. If I had had an actual teacher like my younger sister did who knows how far I would have progressed? But the point is I'm playing now which is what really matters when all is said and done.

DAVID

#2010491 - 01/07/13 09:20 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
wouter79 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

>With all we have available to us there certainly should be no reason why you could not teach yourself.

I do not agree here. Yes probably all mistakes and missteps are documented somewhere on the web but that does not really help unless you can (1) read them (at least a significant part of it) (2) put them in the right perspective. I don't believe a beginner is in the right position to do this. A teacher is there to bring the right info forward at the right time and to explain it.

#2010543 - 01/07/13 11:27 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Fatih Offline

Guys, i thank you all so much. Great suggestions and experiences about that.

Thanks to Bill. I bought Alfred's book that he mentioned. And i already got to chords in a couple hours. I am having a great progress. I will keep going.

All your encouragements gave me a great appetite to do that alone. Maybe i will get a teacher when i really need it. Maybe i post some of my videos here. So you could play how my progression is going. It seems like , yeah , everything is doable without moving where you are with today's technology.

I learnt even Fly fishing on the web while there are no fly fishers in my country. laugh How great is that? Glad that i can speak English...

#2010544 - 01/07/13 11:31 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just one more caution for you Faith.

Your focus seems to be on how FAST you can go through things.

Be careful with that.

You may get to the end of the book and find out that you cannot play anything very well and have to start all over. It happens.

Try to take pride in playing things very well.

Make sure you play with correct timing and play musically.

Good Luck.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2010551 - 01/07/13 11:46 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Frito Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Without a teacher, there is a real risk of picking up bad habits that are difficult to break. A good teacher is indispensible for learning good technique.

#2010612 - 01/07/13 01:53 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Mae L]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Mae L
BUT a good teacher has a lot to offer. S/he is your loyal audience who gives you positive n productive comments, your motivator, your supporter who understands what you are struggling with. A good teacher also knows what you can and can't do, and assigns you the proper pieces and exercises to work on to help you succeed.

Very true. Also, a good teacher will challenge you while making certain that you don't overextend yourself.

#2010654 - 01/07/13 03:13 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
drazh Offline

Hi
No you cant . Find a good teacher as soon as possible

#2010671 - 01/07/13 03:54 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: drazh]
CarloPiano Offline

Yes, you can learn without a teacher but don't expect to go too far... I thank god my house wasn't build by a self taught architect smile

#2010680 - 01/07/13 04:18 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
Only the OP can know if he needs a teacher. The need for a teacher has a lot to do with desired goals, and individual abilities, aptitude, and resourcefulness. If one desires to be an accomplished concert pianist, trying to go without a teacher might be an challenge. If one wants to play some pop/rock/dance/whatever, and really does not care if aspects of his playing are consistent with strict classical guidelines, then no, a teacher is not necessary to learn. Everyone has different needs. The OP should know in his heart if he needs a teacher or not.

#2010788 - 01/07/13 06:23 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
My musical teachers were always the great composers of the music I am playing and the many artists performed it.

In the last 50 ys. you have the most valuable feedback previously not possible: records of own playing. With digital pianos it is even easier. I am far from being a professional player but am able to improve. I am 55, restarted for some 6 ys after a break of good 35 ys. Playing now ca. half of J.S.Bach's keyboard music (WTC, suites, etc.).

#2011059 - 01/08/13 08:29 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Norrec Offline

It sounds like the original poster is in the same position I was 3 years ago. I was around 22, had enough money for a keyboard, decided it was time to start learning how to play. I too purchased Alfred's adult course and wanted to try going it on my own. You'll certainly be able to play the pieces in Alfred's and it'll feel good to work through them knowing you're improving. The thing that you need to watch out for, that I didn't pay enough attention to, is that you're actually playing whats written in the book and not just what sounds 'right'.

A few months ago after learning my first peice not in Alfred's (there was a long break in there, I haven't been playing for 3 years straight) I decided to get a teacher. We decided to start about half way into Alfred's to get a feel for where I was at. I thought this would be easy since I'd been working through Alfred's already. So I practiced the few assigned peices and went in expecting to do great. Indeed, what I played sounded fine to me. It sounded fine to my teacher to. Then she started pointing things out - I'd added a note there, I'd changed the rhythm here, things like that. It didn't make the peice sound wrong it just wasn't right. This bothered me first because I thought I was working through the Alfred's peices to learn the skills and techniques I'd need to play advanced peieces, not just to learn simple versions of Jingle Bells and Greensleaves. In fact it was the reverse - I'd been learning simple versions of Jingle Bells and Greensleaves and brushing past the techniques unintentionally. Secondly, I wasn't even aware I wasnt playing what was written. The most recent example of this is Hanon's 6th. I thought "oh, this is easy" and played the pattern up the octave then down the octave. Then I played it in lesson and found out when you get to the top of the octave the pattern's a little different, and when you get to the end it's a little different to. I hadn't been aware because I wasn't reading the music I was just following the pattern that sounded right.

Recording my playing might have helped, but probably not. It's really helped having a teacher point out my mistakes once a week so I know exactly what to focus on moving forward. Esspcially with fingering, lots of times I'll make up my own and when the teacher forces me to do it correctly it's always ended up being much easier.

It's very true what you'll read about self teaching - you can do it but it's going to be slower than with a teacher. With a teacher I'm working through the book slower, but I feel like I'm learning piano quicker.

#2011080 - 01/08/13 09:10 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Like Norrec exemplified, without a teacher you need to be extremely careful and literally 'keep an ear out', listen to other people play (not just newbies but real pianists) on YouTube, have somebody listen to you playing, record yourself, even take videos of yourself to check your position, etc. Ironically, I think to learn an instrument by yourself you need to have a decent ear before you even start. Or to do some ear training.

Personally, right now I wouldn't want the stress of having to prepare for lessons and perform in front of the teacher. I just want to have fun and I don't care if I won't be able to play difficult classical pieces any time soon. I'm self-disciplined enough to practice every day without teachers or exams. Better, I like it enough to do it anyway. I think having a teacher would make me like it less - but that's just me!

#2011086 - 01/08/13 09:23 AM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: sinophilia]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sinophilia
Personally, right now I wouldn't want the stress of having to prepare for lessons and perform in front of the teacher.

This is always one of the issues associated with taking lessons. If the student could get over the idea that a lesson is like a "test" or a "performance" then it would not be as stressful.

One should view a lesson as simply an opportunity for the teacher to observe the student playing the piano and make suggestions based on those observations. Then the student works on things for a period of time and they get together and see how it is going ... then, more observations and more suggestions.

I like to space my lessons out for longer periods of time. That is because, first ... they are expensive ... and second, I have been playing for awhile and can work on various things on my own. I just need the instructor to insure that I am moving in the right direction.

However, if they were not so expensive, I would have a teacher more often. It couldn't hurt.

When I have my lesson, I try not to feel like I am showing the teacher "how good I am". Instead, just play things like I normally do as best I can and let the chips fall where they may.

#2011177 - 01/08/13 12:46 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
Fatih Offline

Guys , i thank you all so much. I will tell you something good. After reading all your comments , most of which were saying that i should get a teacher, i found a teacher today.

He came to my house and i had a fantastic lesson. You were right guys... It's necessary to work with someone who knows how to do it.

And there is 1 thing that no one mentioned here: When you have a good teacher, besides all things he teach you, he will encourage you to work hard like a cheerleader. Right now i am practicing crazily, to impress my teacher next week smile .

I thank you all again...

#2011210 - 01/08/13 02:12 PM Re: Can i learn piano by myself? [Re: Fatih]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Congrats on finding a teacher Faith, I don't think you'll regret your decision and I wish you all the best with your piano journey.

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
74 registered (barbaram, AZ_Astro, Ben_NZ, 20 invisible), 1217 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295439 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission