2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I always did think that coloratura sopranos get flatter as they sing higher.... wink grin

That is usually because conductors and orchestras today tune much higher than composers of the time were working with. Verdi, for example, insisted all his operas be at A=432. This makes a HUGE difference when singing. smile

That's cheating! Pavarotti wouldn't want to be thought of as 'King of the high Bs'..... grin

It's still a C, A=432 is only about 1/3 step :P . I heard he missed all of the high Cs in a performance of "a mes amis", so one wonders how it would have been for him a bit lower smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by MacDan
This was the longest I've gone without playing my DP, and I am amazed at how different it sounds after playing strictly on an acoustic for a month or so.

He's seen the light! -- He's seen the light.

I saw it before I went back to my DP, believe me. I was playing my acoustic right after I got it, before my tech could tune it, the difference was so much better....

Dan

B
B

I always did think that coloratura sopranos get flatter as they sing higher.... wink grin

That is usually because conductors and orchestras today tune much higher than composers of the time were working with. Verdi, for example, insisted all his operas be at A=432. This makes a HUGE difference when singing. smile

That's cheating! Pavarotti wouldn't want to be thought of as 'King of the high Bs'..... grin

It's still a C, A=432 is only about 1/3 step :P . I heard he missed all of the high Cs in a performance of "a mes amis", so one wonders how it would have been for him a bit lower smile

Didn't he transpose down some arias as he got older and couldn't reach all those high notes? Including even his 'signature aria' Nessun dorma?

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
M

Didn't he transpose down some arias as he got older and couldn't reach all those high notes? Including even his 'signature aria' Nessun dorma?

Ya, in the end, I think he just didn't care and would sing pretty much anything.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I am not convinced that digital pianos cannot go out of tune. I am not convinced that some of them are ever in tune, for that matter.

You are not the first tech that brought this up. I had two separate techs tell me that my DP (an older Clavinova) is out tune. When I brought this up on the DP Forum some years ago, the participants came down on me really hard, saying, it's impossible. I was and still am not knowledgeable enough with piano tuning to argue with the DP Forum folks one way or another, so I just let it drop.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recently heard on Freakonomics Radio (http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/11/10/boo-who-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/) that in his later years, his voice was gone, and his performance was really poor, yet no one ever gave any boos, so he kept going even though he was yelling more than singing.

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
Originally Posted by BDB
I am not convinced that digital pianos cannot go out of tune. I am not convinced that some of them are ever in tune, for that matter.

You are not the first tech that brought this up. I had two separate techs tell me that my DP (an older Clavinova) is out tune. When I brought this up on the DP Forum some years ago, the participants came down on me really hard, saying, it's impossible. I was and still am not knowledgeable enough with piano tuning to argue with the DP Forum folks one way or another, so I just let it drop.

"In tune" is a relative term. I tune pianos much more accurately than most people will tune any other instrument, and yet, even pianos have anomalies. Digital pianos have different tolerances. The mantra that digital pianos are always in tune may reflect a lower tolerance than what I have for acoustic pianos.

Semipro Tech
Digital versus acoustic can only be answered that in over almost 30 years I have never seen one single, above intermediate level pianist, trade an acoustic to a digital

Indeed in every single case I can recall it always was the other way around.

Coincidence?

Norbert

B
B
Originally Posted by Norbert
Digital versus acoustic can only be answered that in over almost 30 years I have never seen one single, above intermediate level pianist, trade an acoustic to a digital

Coincidence?

Norbert

I think that there have been a few people over in the DP forum who've asked advice about replacing their acoustic with a digital....

In my case, reality sank in after holding out for decades hoping to buy my first piano (a Bosendorfer 290 of course... grin ), having been playing since childhood, mostly on Yamaha uprights at my parents' home and then at university: no space and neighbor problems. But I think I bought at the right time, when new technology (modeling) has at last resulted in digitals that really can satisfy and respond to the pianist's touch almost uncannily like the real thing. Within a few seconds of putting my headphones on and starting to play, I forget that my 'piano' is just a high-tech box of electronic trickery. And I can play at full pelt at any time of the day or night, with my neighbors none the wiser...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Coincidence?

Norbert

Norbert, I traded in my Yamaha C3 about 14 years ago for a GranTouch. Does the GranTouch count as being digital in your eyes? I ask since so many here are in the either\or persuasion. I label the GranTouch and AvantGrand as hybrids. (I have since traded in my GranTouch for an AvantGrand.)

I also own a Yamaha CP5 stage piano for those situations when there is no acoustic piano or the acoustic piano in question is out of tune and\or poorly maintained.

I've made my living from playing\performing and I'm reasonably certain my level is above intermediate level. I know of several individuals who play above intermediate level who also traded in an acoustic piano for a hybrid.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>What's the best choice?

It's just a different instrument. I stay away from DPs, IMHO they sound boring, non-inspiring and dead if you play them through the speakers.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Dave B
Eventually you will want one of each.

That's what I've got, so, yup, I agree.

Digital's advantages are portability, silent practice with headphones, and low maintenance.

Acoustic gives you better sound and better feel. A lot better.

The more different instruments you get to practice on, the better you'll be able to cope with the unique touch and sound of whatever other pianos you encounter.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

Coincidence?

Norbert

I agree this would be the more common scenerio. Interesting that a few members on this forum have gone in the other direction.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Interesting that a few members on this forum have gone in the other direction.

It's easy to understand from a sheer 'convenience' factor.
I myself own an advanced Roland keyboard and love playing it, mixing sounds, recording etc.

But it hasn't made me better player yet.

Love to hear from those who have made different experience.

Norbert

B
B
Interesting that a few members on this forum have gone in the other direction.

It's easy to understand from a sheer 'convenience' factor.
I myself own an advanced Roland keyboard and love playing it, mixing sounds, recording etc.

But it hasn't made me better player yet.

Love to hear from those who have made different experience.

Norbert

Since buying my DP, I've certainly become a much better pianist, but that's (I believe) mainly due to the fact that I now have a properly responsive instrument to practise on anytime I wanted to, whereas before, I'd have to make do with whatever acoustic piano I came across, whether in a church, hall, shopping mall, or stately home or hotel. Only the ones in showrooms were reliably tuned and prepped: I occasionally hired a practice room for a few hours to 'rewire' my piano technique. (I despised digitals then and wouldn't ever go near one... grin).

I certainly became a master of adapting to uneven action, sticky keys, missing/broken strings, even missing keys as well as all sorts of tuning (including where the high notes were lower than the low ones... grin - my imagination had to work overtime to convince me I was still playing the right notes), but they didn't do much for my technique other than barely maintaining it at the standard I had when I was at university.

Interestingly, a couple of years ago, I revisited my parents at their home where the little Yamaha console-sized vertical that I learnt on as a child still resides. It hadn't been played on or tuned since I left home (but that was no problem for me, with all my past experience wink ) - I was just curious to see what its action was like compared to my own new digital, because I remember having a very hard time adapting to the ones I had to play on for exams during that time. (My teacher then came to our house for my piano lessons). Its action was in fact amazingly light and shallow, and the dynamics very difficult to control, and its tonal character was as I remembered it - very bright and shallow even playing softly, becoming more harsh rather than more brilliant when playing loudly. I certainly prefer playing on my DP ; in fact, I think that even a good sampled DP - despite all its limitations on responsiveness to touch - would be preferable. (I'm of course comparing with that Yamaha in the state it would be when it has been tuned and regulated, not in the condition it was then).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission