Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, Alan_Dublin, allakart, 47 invisible), 1946 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2010281 - 01/06/13 09:52 PM Injured student
Brinestone Offline

One of my students broke her arm last night. frown The same student broke it a few years ago too, and it meant a two- or three-month hiatus from piano then, and when she came back, she still had a little tenderness and weakness in her hand, arm, and fingers that it took a while to overcome. *sigh* I guess accidents happen, and there's not much to be done about it.

Have you ever had a student require time off from piano because of an injury? Any advice for me?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2010284 - 01/06/13 09:59 PM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I had a student with a broken thumb on one hand and a broken finger on the other. We continued lessons under the direction of his physician. The thumb was worse than the finger -- surgical pin and splint -- but we were allowed to take things easy and remove the splint for playing. It was slow going, but we made good use of the time with listening activities, repertoire focused on one hand and memory and analysis.

Each situation is different. Do what you can.

#2010399 - 01/07/13 04:07 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Nannerl Mozart Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia, Melbourne
When I set foot in the chef world I cut my hands and fingers the first day in - I couldn't even play for half a week. My teacher was pretty lenient, for any very bad cuts he let me cancel lessons, we'd normally do work on other things like harmony and history (we were prepping for an exam at that time) I normally practiced with my right hand (since it had fewer cuts on it.)

#2010404 - 01/07/13 05:05 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
One of my adult students broke her right wrist rather badly in a fall. She actually had 2 months without lessons (it was difficult for her to travel, for one thing) but she played lots with her LH, worked on her music reading and theory, and when we started again she approached everything with a different sort of focus. She was very interested in ways of moving and worked rather hard on exercises. Actually, I think she's made more progress since her injury than she did before it. Trying to regain her movement, and being more aware of what she was doing gave her more focus. It's been interesting.

#2010488 - 01/07/13 09:16 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I had a student who broke his LH middle finger one year playing basketball. He was a very serious piano student, so after assessing how he felt using this other fingers, I found some music he could play that had primarily 5ths in the LH, or patterns that he could play without using the middle finger. They weren't musically challenging for him, but it was better than not playing, and I frequently asked how things felt to make sure he wasn't causing more problems for himself. The next year he broke Lh 2nd finger playing football, at which point I suggested he take up golf instead.

edited to add: Sorry, forgot the 2nd part of what I was going to say. Since your student has a broken arm, I suggest doing some practice lessons working on just the one good hand. You can also work on theory, history, sight reading for that one hand, and continue work on their current rep, which you playing the substitue hand (which is actually quite fun to do).

Edited by Morodiene (01/07/13 09:21 AM)
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2010531 - 01/07/13 10:54 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Lollipop Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia
I've had two students with broken arms, a several broken fingers or sprains. I continued lessons with each. We worked on ear training, one-hand work, flashcards, rhythms, etc. In some cases, the cast came off sooner than the doc had initially predicted. In one case, the student's mother explained to the doc that the student was taking piano, and he had them form the cast in such a way as to give maximum finger access, and said that moving the fingers would actually be beneficial in that particular situation.

I also take this opportunity to point out that none of these injuries happened while playing piano, and that piano really is much safer than these other activities. wink

#2011466 - 01/08/13 10:06 PM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
I had a student chop the end off his little finger. I had him do mainly pieces that are L.H dominant playing only one hand, and a lot of scales (only need 5th finger for top note). The problem wasn't really while it was injured, but the affect once he started playing again. Now he plays with that finger really flat because he doesn't like putting pressure through it and it has become habit. Going to be very hard to undo I think!

Also had a kid break his thumb recently. He doesn't really take lessons seriously anyway so I let him take the time off unpaid until it's healed. A more serious student I would have had continue doing theory, aural etc.

I don't know if such a book exists, but it would be great it someone would compile repertoire that is arranged to be only L.H for half the book and only R.H for the other half, that teachers could use with students who have had injuries and/or to work up the less dominant hand.

#2011478 - 01/08/13 11:00 PM Re: Injured student [Re: Beth_Frances]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Beth_Frances

I don't know if such a book exists, but it would be great it someone would compile repertoire that is arranged to be only L.H for half the book and only R.H for the other half, that teachers could use with students who have had injuries and/or to work up the less dominant hand.

And we should all have one of these:
http://www.baroquecds.com/Neupertphpschd.jpg
for times when both hands are broken.

#2011608 - 01/09/13 08:33 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
That would be a great idea, Beth, but why not just have the student work on their current repertoire with the hand they can play, and the teacher can play the other with them?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2011910 - 01/09/13 08:54 PM Re: Injured student [Re: Brinestone]
Beth_Frances Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Ha, what on earth is that Tim?!

Yeah that works for lesson time Morodiene, but I figure it's not very fun at home practicing only one hand if it doesn't contain the melody. Might be okay for an older student but my younger ones aren't that patient!

#2012121 - 01/10/13 07:52 AM Re: Injured student [Re: Beth_Frances]
TimR Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Beth_Frances
Ha, what on earth is that Tim?!

Harpsichords and clavichords with a set of pedals like an organ used to be popular practice instruments back in the good old days. Bach had one.

Nobody could afford their own pipe organ, and you couldn't practice in an unheated church with no child labor around to do the pumping. (Europe was a lot colder before central heating and global warming, which is why we drink red wine at the wrong temperature today. Room temperature averaged 55 F back then.)

Of course, back in the good old days more people played pipe organ. It seems to be a dying profession, based on my experiences recently trying to hire a replacement church organist.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing piano without a piano
by Cavell
11/23/14 04:31 PM
Chick Corea master class
by Dfrankjazz
11/23/14 03:42 PM
KAWAI MP7 - Touch Curve
by IMOL
11/23/14 03:20 PM
C. Bechstein M-180 made for American climate?
by Twindad
11/23/14 01:42 PM
what's the best price for a ritmuller 188r?
by zhengy4
11/23/14 01:11 PM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159296 Topics
2339990 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission