2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D
I’m curious about this, and perhaps more so in the light of the various and frequent digital vs acoustic threads since it has a bearing on how ‘realistic’ we want our sound to be. I’ve been in the habit of using reverb at a medium to low setting because, frankly, it flatters my playing while providing the delusion of being in a larger room. Just lately though I’ve decided to switch it off for practice sessions in order to gain what I think might be a more critical hearing of what I’m doing.

So, what do you do? Is the reverb on all the time/sometimes/never?

For those happy to report, I think it might be interesting* also if they could mention which DP it is they’re using, after all it may be that some digitals need a splash of dazz to sound decent.

*..unless we’re ALL using reverb.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Reverb on, every time.

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I can't listen to a dry piano ..... Always on here

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
D
Always on.

Casio Previa PX-330

C
C
Well, this is only a personal opinion but I think that all makes put reverb on by default to camouflate the lack of natural resonance DP's have. Said that, I can't play on my PX-135 with the reverb off. It sounds so lifeless... But with my Roland I play without reverb whem playing with speakers (Supernatural has a nice resonance pack) but I can't stand it with headphones. I always put reverb on while playing on headphones.

H
H
Always on, although I like lower settings (than default) better. Apart from changing reverb type (room/small hall, ...) there is "depth" and "time" setting - I usually lower one or both but so far I can't exactly decide which one I like lowered more. Maybe I can't hear the difference very well.
For pieces with a lot of stacatto I may even change the overall reverb type to "lower" (small hall to room etc.).

Kawai CA95

H
H
Originally Posted by CarloPiano
... But with my Roland I play without reverb whem playing with speakers (Supernatural has a nice resonance pack) but I can't stand it with headphones. I always put reverb on while playing on headphones.

Isn't it actually the real reverb of the environment than, rather than simulated resonance?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Always on. Subtle "room" types for me - not halls, stages or blooming cathedrals!

Currently using Nord Piano sounds.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
On my Nord Stage 2, I like to play with lots of different reverb settings. I have it on about 50% of the time. It's easy to change (just select the type with a button and dial in the variation with the knob). On my Yamaha P250, it's more of a pain to change, have to navigate through the reverb menu on the little screen, so I generally don't mess with it as much.

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Always Reverb ON, medium (default) setting.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Always on, on every DP I own. At low levels though - in order to keep a staccato dry enough, and rapidly changing chords clean enough.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Kawai ES7. Early days. Started with no reverb and was happy with the sound. Now experimenting with reverb. Will probably use it more often than not: lounge (2nd level above room) with time at the default of 5 and depth at 7. But still experimenting. Interestingly, being a died in the wool AP person, a touch of reverb seems to bring it a bit closer to an AP in terms of fuller tone.

C
C
Originally Posted by Hookxs
Isn't it actually the real reverb of the environment than, rather than simulated resonance?

Well, it may be a mixture of both and it may, indeed, explain why I hate playing with headphones without reverb. While on speakers I like to play with reverb off because I like to listen the real reverberation, even a poor one like in my room, not being fooled by a fake one.

But talking about resonance simulation, high end DP's simulates some overtones and harmonics that entry level doesn't. They aren't marvelous nor perfect, specially when been compared with the real thing, but they aren't bad. On the contrary, the PX-135 only simulates damper resonance so the sound is extremely poor so even playing with speakers (BTW, they are not very good ones) the reverb is always on in order to mitigate the lack of resonance/harmonics. Am I unhappy with my PX-135? Absolutely not! It's a wonderful instrument for it's size and I can carry it almost anywhere grin

P
P
Hi,

Although I agree with the previous posters that some reverb helps give the piano sound some life, I have to say that I often find myself playing with the onboard reverb off for the simple reason I don't like the quality of the reverb itself. In my opinion it has a very electronic character, to the point that it spoils the realism of the well-sampled piano samples.

I do understand the technical choice of recording dry piano samples in an anechoic chamber, to be able to simulate any playing setting by digital reverb technology, but the risk of this choice is that the reverb itself is not good enough to provide a convincing result.

Please note that my piano (a Yamaha CLP-970) is about 10 yrs old, so it might be that more recent piano models exhibit significantly better onboard reverb quality: can anybody confirm/disconfirm this?

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
B
B
The V-Piano has no reverb button, but you can adjust all the various resonances (string, soundboard, cross-) from -100 to +100, plus there's an 'ambience' dial. I set the latter to the mid-point. But on the presets, the V Concert settings give a slightly more distant sound with some ambience anyway, which is my favored one (i.e. which my preferred customizations are based on) as the sound is like playing in a medium-sized concert hall. The 'V Studio' presets give a 'close' sound, which I don't much like, though I imagine jazz pianists would prefer it.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
On

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
On

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
On my Roland HP-505 with headphones I keep the reverb off, there is enough going on having the string, cabinet and damper resonance, the keyoff, etc. -parameters well adjusted. But with the speaker system I add some subtle reverb with value between 1 and 3 (min 0 - 10 max would be possible) to it (and also increase brilliance to the max, while having brilliance with headphones at the neutral (default) value), because it supports me in my impression that the room is becoming more smoothly flooded by sound and sound is not as direct coming out from the furniture. Going to higher reverbs tends to blur to much.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Always off. Sounds more natural to me that way. Now that I have read this thread, though, I will almost certainly give a listen to the reverb settings next time I play. Celviano 620.

Lee
Paolo70,"Please note that my piano (a Yamaha CLP-970) is about 10 yrs old, so it might be that more recent piano models exhibit significantly better onboard reverb quality: can anybody confirm/disconfirm this?"

I had a Yam. 820, which`d be 15yo. The sound was stereo and spacious possibly due in part at least, to the reverb. But certain notes rang out unpleasantly meaning I had to limit it.

My current squeeze is much cheaper, but better in that respect and others. I use loads o` reverb, Hall 2. It sounds like a Dusseldorfer . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission