2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Inca Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi, I'm a piano beginner and have been taking lessons for about a month. I have to practice at a keyboard at home but since I know that I will continue playing the piano I thought about getting myself a real instrument.
I may have about 1500 Dollars, maybe a bit more, which I can spend. I know that this is not a lot that's why I thought about buying myself an electric one or an used acoustic one, because a new one I couldn't afford. I've already checked some offers for used acoustic pianos in my neighborhood and there are plenty of offers for about that price. Since I'm not an expert I do not know whether these are good offers or not.

I will have to practice some year on that instrument so the question which one to get is pretty important. That's why I made a list of pros and cons for acoustic and for electric.

Electric:
+Cheaper
+Different tones (This isn't really important to me)
+Headphones
+No tuning necessary
-Not the original instrument
-Other quality of playing

Acoustic:
+The original instrument
+Should be the best way to learn how to play the piano properly
-I would have to buy a used one
-No headphones
-Yearly tuning necessary

Some other questions:
*How much should I spend to get a good electric / acoustic (used) one?
*What should I watch out for buying a used one?
*What are some brands you can recommend me?
*Any models I should check out? (Especially regarding electric pianos)

So what do you think? What would be the best choice for someone like me?

Edit: Maybe I should mention that I want to play mostly classical.

Last edited by Inca; 01/01/13 09:08 AM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Acoustic is better. I have owned a huge number of digital pianos over many years and only recently have I seen the light! I own a couple of digitals because there are tangible benefits such as the ability to play with headphones but my main piano is now a Kawai upright and it is infinitely more rewarding to play than any digital.

That said, your budget is too small to get yourself a decent used Yamaha or Kawai upright so you would be looking at older instruments and/or ones that frankly were less good when they were new. There will be a decent used upright piano out there at your budget but it might take a very dedicated search to find it. Maybe until you have more money digital is the best option for you....if you want particular recommendations on which models to look for then ask a question over on the digital piano forum.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
IMO there is no right or wrong answer to this. I can tell you my own experience though. I always wanted to play piano and when I was fortunate enough to afford to follow this desire,I bought a $1500 good sounding and feeling digital to learn on(Kohler KD26 made by Samick). Because like most beginners I had unrealistic expectations of the work and time involved to get enough experience to call what I played music grin and didn't want to crap out after a year or so after spending big bucks on a an acoustic. I thought it might take me a year to learn to play well ha

After a couple years I knew it would be something I wanted dispite the time/work involved to stick with it and then I shelled out for an Yamaha U1 which, while not a top line grand I am so happy with it. AFA the tuning and maintenance issue; don't you change your oil at regular intervals and maintain the upkeep on the cars you own? Why not bum rides or walk everywhere? laugh To me this is a non issue.

In maybe 5 more years I will move up to a better piano. I have had to adjust my technique somewhat to the touch of the acoustic but it isn't a steep learning curve at all. Playing different ones is valuable to as they all have there own tone and touch. Good luck in your search, get what feels good/right and is affordable HTH. Sorry for the essay response.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
... Yearly tuning necessary

I think you should consider more frequent tunings.

Since you have a limited budget, consider renting a piano. You can then move up considerably in quality and you'll have more time to look for other pianos. Just a thought.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Digital pianos have come a long way... and, as has been mentioned, there are definite advantages to owning a digital.

However, there is no substitute for a real, acoustic piano. Even though they can be a lot of trouble and expense, and have to be tuned and serviced, the blend of sounds and colors can't be matched by a digital, even when it is slightly out of tune. I call that "having a personality" all it own, of sorts (both good and bad smile ).

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Some things to remember: One important thing to remember, is that if you buy a good quality piano, first of all, you will enjoy it much more because it will sound and play better than a crummy quality piano will.

You will have fewer problems with it too generally speaking, whereas if you buy a crappy new piano or a crappy used piano that was no good to begin with and then was rarely tuned, you can count on having problems with a piano like that from the get go.

As a technician that has tuned thousands and thousands of pianos over the past 40 some years, I can hear and feel the difference the minute I set down and play a digital piano. To me, there is no comparison to an acoustic piano.

That said, I do own a 88 note digital that I've had for many years and I have a lot of fun with it sometimes. But, 95 % of the time I play, I am playing on my Schimmel. I own 2 acoustic pianos too.

So, just a little more food for thought.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
M
M
I would echo Jerry's comments and add a few of my own:

I am an adult beginning student who started with a good quality digital piano. My plan was to start on the digital and after a year or two of practice start looking for a high quality used baby grand.

Shortly after I began my lessons, I happened across a nice 5'7" Kimball grand that was in decent shape and cost me nothing but the expense to move it. With a reasonable amount invested to have my technician replace the key bushings and regulate it, I will have a good, solid acoustic instrument to play (he is coming tomorrow to remove the action and take it to his shop for the work.)

All I can say is that my digital piano has been collecting dust ever since. Even with sloppy keys and some lost motion that the regulation will clear up, the difference between the two is immeasurable.

With this experience I would encourage anyone who is serious about playing to get an acoustic piano, even if they can't play it 100% of the time.

Good luck!

Dan

B
BDB Offline
B
If you want to play acoustic piano, get an acoustic piano. If you want to play a digital piano, get a digital instrument. They are only equivalent for the barest beginner.

Semipro Tech
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Other than a need to play with headphones(silent) I'd go for an acoustic..
I'd keep my digital (p60) and buy a acoustic grand... smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Eventually you will want one of each.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Dave B

That has never been the case for me. I do not want any of one, nor just one of the other.

Semipro Tech
B
B
I'm probably one of very few people here who play almost exclusively classical music but whose main instrument is a digital, for the very good reason that I can't have an acoustic where I live (in a small apartment surrounded by neighbors), because I'd never be able to play it at normal volumes: I use my DP - which has no speakers - exclusively with headphones. But I did choose my digital carefully, and it's one of very few that can emulate almost all the subtleties of an acoustic, so I've had no problem switching from it to acoustic grands, which I play on occasionally when I'm downtown.

But for a beginner, I'd still recommend that you learn on a good acoustic (or at least have regular access to one). The problem is that even today, very few DPs are good enough to allow the learner pianist to develop fine control of touch, tone, voicing and dynamics, and subtleties of pedaling. Those with weighted keys are OK to develop finger technique (up to a basic level), but for classical music, you need a lot more. It's all too easy to spot those pianists who've learnt exclusively on DPs from those who learnt playing on acoustics, when visiting piano showrooms.

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
J
i bought electric first, and then when i knew that i wasn't going to quit (most people quit after their first year) i purchased an acoustic.

Essex EUP-123S

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Inca,

"So what do you think? What would be the best choice for someone like me?"

There may not be really enough information about you. Are you a high school student about to go off to college or what are your other circumstances besides wanting to learn to play?

David

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
To me your post makes it sound like you desire an acoustic instrument. I think that's the direction you should go.

$1,500 can get you a quality used instrument, depending on where you live. In my locale there is currently a Yamaha console piano in superb condition (yes, recently tuned, etc.) and the asking price is $1,400.

I think something like that would be a nice instrument for you.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No doubt you want an acoustic piano the way you describe things. Once you find one you like, consider hirining a tech to look over the piano before you buy it. Good luck and please share your piano story with us here!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

So true!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
M
M
I think since you already have a keyboard, you can use that for silent practicing. Get an acoustic that you can grow into, and for now used seems to be the best option. Yamahas are great pianos, but you may end up paying more than you'd like. Perhaps consider some lesser-known names with the understanding that this will not be your final piano purchase, and you'll most likely upgrade in a couple of years.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Inca

Normally I would also recommend you get an acoustic.

With your budget and situation however, I want to recommend that you consider a Kawai MP6 Stage Piano.

The price is right in line with your budget and it might make a lot of sense for you.

One great advantage of a stage piano is portability.

I recently recommended this model to both the orchestra with which I am affiliated and a piano teacher friend of mine. They are both thrilled with it.

Practice hard and enjoy it!

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.

I agree with this sentiment. If you are beginning, a DP may suit you well. It has many benefits. The truth is, if you're just beginning to study, you will not recognize the differences immediately. When you feel as if you're ready to upgrade, you will always have the DP. I played my DP for hours on end. Now that I have an acoustic, it is my preference but the DP is unparalleled when I want to play privately with headphones. My daughter also plays so we can practice at the same time. You'd be surprised at how we are each motivated by the other. In other words, when one of us practices, the other wants to too. Of course, she alway takes over the acoustic but at least we can both practice at the same time. So in short, you will definitely want one of each. A DP is a good start.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission