Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2010253 - 01/06/13 09:01 PM Just starting out, go used or buy new ?
sretsbor Offline

I’ve been reading the forums here and have posted a few times and I’m interested in starting to learn piano. I’m 53, have played guitar for a few years and want to to explore/learn piano. I thought that I had done all my research in narrowing my choice down to a Yamaha P105 vs. Privia 150 and had decided to get the Yamaha P105. Then a small voice inside of me said ‘What if you don’t take to it, why not start less expensive and buy used?’. So, in perusing Craigslist I see that within an hour and a half of me there is a Privia PX-120 and Yamaha P-85 both said to be in excellent condition and both at very attractive prices. They both are 88 weighted key units and I’m guessing they are both around 5-6 years old. I realize that they both have older technology but I’m not sure that what they lack makes any difference to someone just starting out. BTW, I can afford a Yamaha P-105 so it is not a matter of not having the money up front and I also realize that losing money when re-selling a digital piano (or anything really) is just part of life.

So, my question is not what I should do but I am wondering what others have done in a similar situation? Did you start used or did you jump right in with a new piano?

Moderators: If this belongs in the ‘Digital Piano’ sections please feel free to move it.

Thanks. Rob

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2010359 - 01/07/13 01:28 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
FWIW --

I bought a Casio PX-350. One reason:

. . . It's brand-new technology.

I figure that gives me best value per dollar. Keyboard and cabinet and loudspeaker costs may be stable, but the electronics gets cheaper and cheaper.

There's a reason old digi-pianos are rather inexpensive on the used market:

. . . they're not as good as the new ones.

Check the size of the sample memory on the PX-120. I think it'll be small, compared to the PX-150. And that relates directly to the quality of the piano sound.

I think the Yamaha P105 is rather new, and getting good reviews. In your place, I'd wait for NAMM at the end of January. If Yamaha releases a replacement for the P155 (which I liked when I tried it), that might be a first-class choice. Or a used P155 might become available for a good price.

. Charles

#2010392 - 01/07/13 03:34 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I borrowed an old keyboard from my parents and a piano book from the library to see if I really liked the hobby. After a month I knew that the keyboard was terrible, the book was terrible, and that I wanted to play! So I tried a few digital pianos at the two stores we have in town and bought a Yamaha 95. Figured it would last a few years without costing too much if I ended up dumping it later.

#2010415 - 01/07/13 05:44 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: sretsbor
...‘What if you don’t take to it, why not start less expensive and buy used?’
So, my question is not what I should do but I am wondering what others have done in a similar situation?

When I first bought a set of weights the documentation said don't sell them on. Keep them in case. It was worthwhile advice. It took a couple of years between each of several attempts before I really picked up on weight training.

If you buy a good piano it may take a while before you start playing regularly but if you still have it you can always pick it up again.

Many, many people regret not having taken up or maintained piano but I've never heard anyone regret trying.

Buy a reasonable model now and if you don't take to it don't sell it on. If it's there you can always sit down to it every so often. And one day, you may get hooked.

#2010431 - 01/07/13 06:31 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
dkong99 Offline

When I decided to once again play the piano after an absence of more than 45 years I got the least expensive fully weighed keyboard that had a acceptable piano sound, a Casio CDP-100. After I got up to the level I was at when I was 6 years old, I upgraded to a Casio PX-330, giving the CDP-100 to a friend with 5 year old twin boys.

Both times I bought new (and on sale) as frankly I don't like used and if there were problems, exchanging it would not be a problem (there was zero problems with both boards).

To me, the difference in cost between a new and used keyboard at the entry level wasn't enough to make purchasing a used keyboard worth my while.

DAVID

#2010436 - 01/07/13 06:50 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: dkong99]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would say go somewhere where you can borrow a piano or keyboard. There is no point spending money on an instrument if at the end of the day you say it is not for you and you give it up. I guess if that was the case, you could sell the piano or keyboard on ebay but even so, it is an expense you do not want to have to pay unless you are sure it is what you want and you are going to stick at it.

#2010933 - 01/08/13 12:14 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
sretsbor Offline

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Plenty of food for thought. The used Yamaha P-85 and the PX-120 on Craigslist are both listed so inexpensive that I can hardly go wrong getting either one but I certainly see the benefit of getting a new instrument and having the ability to return it if there is a problem and/or exercising the warranty down the road. Not to mention that you are getting the latest and greatest technology in terms of sound and playability.

Rob

Edited by sretsbor (01/08/13 12:27 AM)

#2010979 - 01/08/13 04:00 AM Re: Just starting out, go used or buy new ? [Re: sretsbor]
JohnSprung Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
I'd suggest starting with one of the cheap Craig's List used digitals -- I have one. They're great to have for silent practice with headphones, and plenty good enough for the early phase where your biggest challenge is getting fingers in the right places at the right times. But during that time, also be sure to get a little time in on other keyboards wherever you can -- churches, schools, gin joints....

If you decide you like it enough, keep the cheap digital for headphone practice, and get an acoustic as your main piano.
If it doesn't work out, you're not out much cash.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
56 registered (bennevis, AZNpiano, Atrys, briansaddleback, 19 invisible), 1199 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156349 Topics
2296346 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new work for Japanese Harp "KOTO"
by Iori Fujita
08/02/14 03:41 AM
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
08/02/14 02:37 AM
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
08/02/14 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
08/01/14 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
08/01/14 11:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission