Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2010419 - 01/07/13 06:03 AM Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off?
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
I’m curious about this, and perhaps more so in the light of the various and frequent digital vs acoustic threads since it has a bearing on how ‘realistic’ we want our sound to be. I’ve been in the habit of using reverb at a medium to low setting because, frankly, it flatters my playing while providing the delusion of being in a larger room. Just lately though I’ve decided to switch it off for practice sessions in order to gain what I think might be a more critical hearing of what I’m doing.

So, what do you do? Is the reverb on all the time/sometimes/never?

For those happy to report, I think it might be interesting* also if they could mention which DP it is they’re using, after all it may be that some digitals need a splash of dazz to sound decent.

*..unless we’re ALL using reverb.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2010423 - 01/07/13 06:14 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Reverb on, every time.

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2010424 - 01/07/13 06:16 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
I can't listen to a dry piano ..... Always on here

#2010425 - 01/07/13 06:17 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
dkong99 Offline

Always on.

Casio Previa PX-330

#2010426 - 01/07/13 06:23 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
CarloPiano Offline

Well, this is only a personal opinion but I think that all makes put reverb on by default to camouflate the lack of natural resonance DP's have. Said that, I can't play on my PX-135 with the reverb off. It sounds so lifeless... But with my Roland I play without reverb whem playing with speakers (Supernatural has a nice resonance pack) but I can't stand it with headphones. I always put reverb on while playing on headphones.

#2010427 - 01/07/13 06:24 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Hookxs Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
Always on, although I like lower settings (than default) better. Apart from changing reverb type (room/small hall, ...) there is "depth" and "time" setting - I usually lower one or both but so far I can't exactly decide which one I like lowered more. Maybe I can't hear the difference very well.
For pieces with a lot of stacatto I may even change the overall reverb type to "lower" (small hall to room etc.).

Kawai CA95

#2010428 - 01/07/13 06:26 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: CarloPiano]
Hookxs Online   content

Loc: Czech Republic
Originally Posted By: CarloPiano
... But with my Roland I play without reverb whem playing with speakers (Supernatural has a nice resonance pack) but I can't stand it with headphones. I always put reverb on while playing on headphones.

Isn't it actually the real reverb of the environment than, rather than simulated resonance?

#2010433 - 01/07/13 06:40 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Always on. Subtle "room" types for me - not halls, stages or blooming cathedrals!

Currently using Nord Piano sounds.

#2010442 - 01/07/13 07:00 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
fizikisto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
On my Nord Stage 2, I like to play with lots of different reverb settings. I have it on about 50% of the time. It's easy to change (just select the type with a button and dial in the variation with the knob). On my Yamaha P250, it's more of a pain to change, have to navigate through the reverb menu on the little screen, so I generally don't mess with it as much.

Warm Regards

#2010449 - 01/07/13 07:18 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: fizikisto]
jarosujo Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Always Reverb ON, medium (default) setting.
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2

#2010456 - 01/07/13 07:31 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Always on, on every DP I own. At low levels though - in order to keep a staccato dry enough, and rapidly changing chords clean enough.

#2010464 - 01/07/13 08:06 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: maurus]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Kawai ES7. Early days. Started with no reverb and was happy with the sound. Now experimenting with reverb. Will probably use it more often than not: lounge (2nd level above room) with time at the default of 5 and depth at 7. But still experimenting. Interestingly, being a died in the wool AP person, a touch of reverb seems to bring it a bit closer to an AP in terms of fuller tone.

#2010465 - 01/07/13 08:07 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: Hookxs]
CarloPiano Offline

Originally Posted By: Hookxs
Isn't it actually the real reverb of the environment than, rather than simulated resonance?

Well, it may be a mixture of both and it may, indeed, explain why I hate playing with headphones without reverb. While on speakers I like to play with reverb off because I like to listen the real reverberation, even a poor one like in my room, not being fooled by a fake one.

But talking about resonance simulation, high end DP's simulates some overtones and harmonics that entry level doesn't. They aren't marvelous nor perfect, specially when been compared with the real thing, but they aren't bad. On the contrary, the PX-135 only simulates damper resonance so the sound is extremely poor so even playing with speakers (BTW, they are not very good ones) the reverb is always on in order to mitigate the lack of resonance/harmonics. Am I unhappy with my PX-135? Absolutely not! It's a wonderful instrument for it's size and I can carry it almost anywhere grin

#2010475 - 01/07/13 08:41 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Paolo70 Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi,

Although I agree with the previous posters that some reverb helps give the piano sound some life, I have to say that I often find myself playing with the onboard reverb off for the simple reason I don't like the quality of the reverb itself. In my opinion it has a very electronic character, to the point that it spoils the realism of the well-sampled piano samples.

I do understand the technical choice of recording dry piano samples in an anechoic chamber, to be able to simulate any playing setting by digital reverb technology, but the risk of this choice is that the reverb itself is not good enough to provide a convincing result.

Please note that my piano (a Yamaha CLP-970) is about 10 yrs old, so it might be that more recent piano models exhibit significantly better onboard reverb quality: can anybody confirm/disconfirm this?

Ciao,
Paolo

#2010480 - 01/07/13 08:58 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The V-Piano has no reverb button, but you can adjust all the various resonances (string, soundboard, cross-) from -100 to +100, plus there's an 'ambience' dial. I set the latter to the mid-point. But on the presets, the V Concert settings give a slightly more distant sound with some ambience anyway, which is my favored one (i.e. which my preferred customizations are based on) as the sound is like playing in a medium-sized concert hall. The 'V Studio' presets give a 'close' sound, which I don't much like, though I imagine jazz pianists would prefer it.

#2010483 - 01/07/13 09:03 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
On

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2010484 - 01/07/13 09:06 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
On

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2010486 - 01/07/13 09:09 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
On my Roland HP-505 with headphones I keep the reverb off, there is enough going on having the string, cabinet and damper resonance, the keyoff, etc. -parameters well adjusted. But with the speaker system I add some subtle reverb with value between 1 and 3 (min 0 - 10 max would be possible) to it (and also increase brilliance to the max, while having brilliance with headphones at the neutral (default) value), because it supports me in my impression that the room is becoming more smoothly flooded by sound and sound is not as direct coming out from the furniture. Going to higher reverbs tends to blur to much.

#2010505 - 01/07/13 09:43 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
leemax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: pacific nw, usa
Always off. Sounds more natural to me that way. Now that I have read this thread, though, I will almost certainly give a listen to the reverb settings next time I play. Celviano 620.

#2010508 - 01/07/13 09:54 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: Paolo70]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Paolo70,"Please note that my piano (a Yamaha CLP-970) is about 10 yrs old, so it might be that more recent piano models exhibit significantly better onboard reverb quality: can anybody confirm/disconfirm this?"

I had a Yam. 820, which`d be 15yo. The sound was stereo and spacious possibly due in part at least, to the reverb. But certain notes rang out unpleasantly meaning I had to limit it.

My current squeeze is much cheaper, but better in that respect and others. I use loads o` reverb, Hall 2. It sounds like a Dusseldorfer . . . .

""

#2010509 - 01/07/13 09:56 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
I'm a huge reverb fiend, ambient music couldn't exist without it.

But turning up the resonances on our Roland SuperNATURAL RD-700NX sounds much better to me than the perhaps too simplistic reverb algorithm in there.

IMO reverb is a band-aid in most DPs.

#2010522 - 01/07/13 10:31 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dewster]
dire tonic Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
Originally Posted By: dewster
IMO reverb is a band-aid in most DPs.

I can vouch for that! I’m using an ancient kawai ES1 (must be the first in this line unless they made an ES0 or ES minus 1), long in the tooth and hopelessly short on sustain so reverb does help. But it also looks like even the higher-end instruments are preferred with a little stardust – reverb for most of us, something more esoteric for the modelled instruments and then there are the speaker/amp/EQ possibilities.

It looks like we don’t really want ‘realism’ – whatever that might be - but something beyond it.

#2010533 - 01/07/13 11:01 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dewster]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
As I observed In this topic this kind of processing (reverb, spatialiser) can be very beneficial especially with sampled intruments sampled with a special mic perspective without blending. It is IMHO why layering also would often perceived as a remedy against some not satisfactorily descrcribed shortcomings of DPs.
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#2010536 - 01/07/13 11:15 AM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
On, but turned way down.

#2010559 - 01/07/13 12:02 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
On. Adjusted to taste.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#2010563 - 01/07/13 12:17 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: gvfarns]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
On, but turned way down.

Yup, me too.

#2010572 - 01/07/13 12:38 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
Hideki Matsui Offline
500 Post Club Member

I think most onboard reverbs aren't that great, which is part of the problem.

Check out the Blue Sky reverb from Strymon. It sounds great and takes stereo line level. I'm using it with my VV64 but I trie it with the Jupiter an it sounded excellent.
Roland Jupiter 80

#2010574 - 01/07/13 12:43 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: Hideki Matsui]
KLSinCT Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT USA
My reverb is always on and set to level 5 (out of 10).

Roland FP-7F

K.
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

#2010608 - 01/07/13 01:41 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Always on.

With my Clav the reverb is almost pointless. It's not bad sounding. It's just inadequate.

But I now use piano libraries exclusively. They all have reverb, and I used it.

#2010614 - 01/07/13 01:59 PM Re: Your digital piano: is the reverb on or off? [Re: dire tonic]
slipperykeys Online   blank

Loc: Dorset, England
One of the most annoying things with the Roland RD 700NX (there are many) is that reverb AND chorus are pre-programmed to be on when you switch the electrical piano impersonating device on.

When I want them on, I will switch them on, thank you, Roland.

I have found the answer, I hate the falseness of both effects and have set the rotary potentiometer (another thing I hate) to it's "off", or "minimum" setting.

I hate reverb, and chorus, it is these sort of effects than make proper real piano players look down their noses at electric machine operators, IMO.

So.. OFF, OFF, OFF!

Oh, I do hope that isn't too emotive......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
10/21/14 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
10/21/14 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10/20/14 11:05 PM
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
10/20/14 10:29 PM
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
10/20/14 07:58 PM
Who's Online
67 registered (anotherscott, Allard, angga888, ando, 13 invisible), 1066 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158395 Topics
2325942 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission