2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
deb8851 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi! This is my first post. I registered just so I could ask this questions: how do blind people memorize sheet music? I'm a fairly advanced self-taught piano student--I've memorized Schubert's Impromptu op. 142 no. 4, play a lot of Chopin, and I've composed several pieces. But memorizing is really difficult for me, and I think part of the reason may be that I have a neurological problem--I don't remember anything I see (faces, streets, you name it--I don't recognize my own children). So I'm looking for tips that might help my particular situation. Thanks!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
By ear. Listening a lot to recordings and then imitating that sound on the piano. You may want to try memorizing as you are learning in your situation. Play a phrase in the music and then play it over and over again to memorize it, getting your eyes off the page as soon as possible. This may be the best route for you to take, and since you can read, that will help. Blind students usually have to have a great ear to imitate, and/or have the assistance of someone who can play each hand and each phrase for them out of context so they can learn it, then put it all together.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Just to add - bit by bit.

I find it difficult to memorize and I can recognize my children. smile

You can read English, right? Can you read music?

D
deb8851 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yes, I can read music (and English). smile Is memorizing pieces this difficult for everybody? Morodiene--I will try your suggestions--thanks! It seems like perhaps my memorizing is lagging behind the rest of my learning. When I had beginning lessons (many years ago), a fairly advanced teacher was surprised I wasn't able to memorize more easily. Even when I do memorize a piece these days, I find myself losing my place from time to time. I don't really have a solid idea of what's normal, though. I'm hoping that at some point I'll be able to do this.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
After reading your post and thinking about it, here's what I'm wondering: Does music/piano memorization have much to do with vision? I tend to think it doesn't, even though some people do like to look at their hands to aid in their memory. It's not required.

I taught a student who was legally blind for a little while. I didn't notice her memory aspect being different because of her vision.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
By ear. Listening a lot to recordings and then imitating that sound on the piano. You may want to try memorizing as you are learning in your situation. Play a phrase in the music and then play it over and over again to memorize it, getting your eyes off the page as soon as possible. This may be the best route for you to take, and since you can read, that will help. Blind students usually have to have a great ear to imitate, and/or have the assistance of someone who can play each hand and each phrase for them out of context so they can learn it, then put it all together.

I agree it may be best for you to memorize as you learn.

I use this technique in my own studies to exercise/maintain my memory skills.

A few additional techniques that may be usefull (they have been for me):
-memorize a small segment with the left hand alone first. This might only be a few measures, depending on the complexity of the music.
-Them memorize the same segment right hand alone.
-Here's the key that really works the mind: put them together without the music. It can be difficult, but I've found that when it works it's pretty solid in memory.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
D
deb8851 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks all! I'm going to take all these suggestions and see if I can do better. smile

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Some blind pianists learn music using Braille scores.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
They memorize like anyone else. They hear and read the music. I think I read somewhere that they play with their fingers really close to the black keys so they know where they are physically on the keyboard.

My friend's dad is blind (was born fully sighted, became blind in his 70's) Without his great memory, living on his own would be much harder.

A wonderful musician and teacher who is blind posted in PianoWorld a few months back. She described reading music via Braille. As I recall, she read the LH music with her RH while playing it with the left, and then reversed it. Memory was called on more, since you need both hands. The Braille symbols described such things as chords and registers as well as note values, so a different (greater?) understanding of music may be needed than with standard notation for sighted people where you could probably peck out one note at a time.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
That is quite amazing!

Another consideration is simply the availability of music in Braille. That makes this interesting:
article - video - on "Prima Vista" Braille score production
At 2:50 a piano student describes the actual reading process.

Last edited by keystring; 01/04/13 03:22 PM. Reason: addendum
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by deb8851
So I'm looking for tips that might help my particular situation. Thanks!

Just a thought...how well do you know your theory? Understanding all the chords you're playing and knowing what scale degrees the melody notes are, etc is extremely important for memorizing. For example, imagine trying to memorize a speech by only memorizing the letters, without understanding the words or the concepts they carry. How much more difficult would that be than memorizing a speech in a language you fully understand?

HTH

Last edited by DanS; 01/04/13 04:44 PM.
D
deb8851 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I love theory. smile I've been fascinated since I went back to John Thompson's kindergarten book and couldn't figure out why the Volga Boatman song was in a minor key when it didn't use any accidentals. lol I'm going to go put all these suggestions to practice--as soon as I get over this flu! Darn it--bad timing interfering with my piano practice.

Anyway, I use my memory to compensate, too--for not remembering anything visually. I memorize things like peoples' appearances at parties, or the way into a building, backwards, so I can find my way out again. Now I just need to figure out how to put that memory to work for piano.

Thanks everybody!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi deb8851,

You are such an inspiration for us piano players. As a fairly advanced self-taught piano student, who you say may have some neurologial problems, and who you say don't see faces, streets - you don't recognize your own children, you are able find a c on the piano, because there are 7 of them on the piano and they all look exactly the same and you were able to find one of the c's on the piano and began to play Shubert's Impromptu op. 142 no 4, and also, you say, you play a lot of Chopin, and composed several pieces. I am just a beginner and I have had a stroke and brain damage and am dyslexic, but I can't do any of those things you have accomplished. Like yourself, blind people don't give up when they realize they want to play the piano. They, like yourself, do whathever it takes to learn to play the piano in the same way that you have struggled with possible nuerological problems to do the awesome things you have accomplished - they struggle with blindness. Thank you for posting your inspirational story.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
deb8851, thanks for posting!!!

I would be interested in hearing more about strategies you use to compensate, to help you recognize people and things.

Learner
D
deb8851 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'll try to make sense tonight--I have seriously got the flu--been to the ER and everything. Everybody in the house has it. No flu shots for me--I reacted so badly to my last pneumonia vaccine that one doc has said no more vaccines for me, and I believe him.

Michael99--you've really touched me with what you've said. Some days I think I should get recognition for finding my way to the grocery store with four children, not losing any of them, finding most of the stuff on my list, and making it home with the loot. smile

Malkin--I have two blogs if you're interested (warning--I whine a lot when I'm sick, and sometimes when I'm not wink ). They're at www.debsisland.blogspot.com and www.erikasisland.blogspot.com.

I could go on all day long about compensating, but the blogs will save everybody else from that. I will say that I always dressed the kids alike when they were younger (fortunately I never picked up a strange kid wearing the same clothes as mine). If there is a God, he has a sense of humor--I have twins, and I'm the only one who can tell them apart. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks, I'll check out your blogs.
(Too funny about your twins!)

Learner

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission