2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi Guys,

I will tell you what i have been through.

I bought a piano and i registered to a music school. But the people were so unrespectful. So, i quited after only 1 lesson.

2nd music school was fine but we had issues about prices and i couldn't even get a lesson.

Yesterday i called a teacher, whom i found on a website. He came to my house a couple hours ago. It was the funniest 1 hour i have ever had because HE COULDN'T PLAY PIANO. He was just doing some accords to look like he could play but he couldn't. I told him "Sorry sir. But you don't know how to play piano". This was the weirdest thing i have ever done smile . But he deserved that.

Anyways, i am so pissed off now. I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

What do you think? Can i do it alone? (I am 22)

Let's say you think i can do it alone. But how will i get over solfege???

TY smile

Last edited by Fatih; 01/06/13 12:34 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes but most learn much quicker and better with a teacher.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I can only say that I have been told so and hope to do so myself. Like the above poster said however, most people will learn faster with a teacher. You must remember however, that hundreds of thousands of people in the United States have learned to play either by themselves or with just a mentor to give helpful hints and tips. In today's computer age these hints and tips can be gotten off of the Internet. With all we have available to us there certainly should be no reason why you could not teach yourself. You have to remember that for every instrument there was ever made throughout time someone somewhere taught himself to play it for the very first time in human history with no guidance whatsoever.

The method books and resources we have today are excellent. For instance the program I am using, which is from the now defunct US School of Music, was used by Lawrence Welk to teach himself accordion, which as I understand it is about the most difficult instrument to learn, and was good enough for him that after he turned 21 he left the family farm to study music at the Conservatory all while being a professional musician to support himself and put himself in graduate studies. Although that program is no longer available Alfred's Teach Yourself Piano or the Alfred's Basic All In One Piano Method books 1 through 3 Are Great place to begin.

Last edited by BillTheSlink; 01/06/13 05:46 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
M
M
Sure, you can learn on your own! It won't be the same as if a caring, knowledgeable teacher is also invested in your endeavor, but perhaps that is not what you are actually looking for?

Yes, ages ago, people taught themselves to play each instrument ... and then, throughout the ages, documented successes and failures in all fields have taken place on behalf of humankind and to the benefit of instrumentalists. You can get helpful hints from YouTubes, yes, but that alone doesn't give you a second set of eyes and ears to help you understand whether or not you are actually enacting what you feel you are learning.

Last edited by Mayla Fox; 01/06/13 07:29 PM.
P
P
I believe it is better study appropriate hand positions with a teacher.
Although some self-tought people play very nice, I am sometimes terrified to look at their hands - you can also hurt yourself by using incorrect technics.
But is is my humble opinion.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Like guitar, but unlike violin unless you're the next Vivaldi, it is possible to learn the piano without a teacher. But it isn't possible for everybody.

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Fatih
I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

A lot of the answer depends upon what you mean by "Learning" to play piano. If you mean ... Can I learn to play the right notes on a few tunes ? .... you have already done it with Jingle Bells.

If you mean ... Can I learn to be a concert pianist ? ... probably not.

If you mean play a few songs for my family and friends at get-togethers the answer is probably ... yes.

It all depends upon how good you wish to get.

Starting (and staying) with a teacher is probably the most dependable way to learn to play well. Going it alone, while possible, is not the surest way to go.

If you can afford a teacher, I might suggest you trying to find a credible teacher instead of all of these bad news things you have been trying and then see how it goes. There are very good teachers out there, you just have to find one that works for you.

Last edited by dmd; 01/06/13 08:55 PM.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
B
B
Originally Posted by Fatih
Hi Guys,

I will tell you what i have been through.

I bought a piano and i registered to a music school. But the people were so unrespectful. So, i quited after only 1 lesson.

2nd music school was fine but we had issues about prices and i couldn't even get a lesson.

Yesterday i called a teacher, whom i found on a website. He came to my house a couple hours ago. It was the funniest 1 hour i have ever had because HE COULDN'T PLAY PIANO. He was just doing some accords to look like he could play but he couldn't. I told him "Sorry sir. But you don't know how to play piano". This was the weirdest thing i have ever done smile . But he deserved that.

Anyways, i am so pissed off now. I can play Jingle Bells and some simple songs that i learnt by myself from my piano book and i believe i can move forward with the help of online lessons. I know the notes. I need practice on sight reading.

Let's say you think i can do it alone. But how will i get over solfege???

TY smile

Paul McCartney quit piano lessons after just a few lessons...!!!

M
M
Of course you can do your own research n teach yourself. I often come across some people called themselves self-taught pianist, self-taught artist, self-taught plumber, self-taught mechanic, etc.

BUT a good teacher has a lot to offer. S/he is your loyal audience who gives you positive n productive comments, your motivator, your supporter who understands what you are struggling with. A good teacher also knows what you can and can't do, and assigns you the proper pieces and exercises to work on to help you succeed.

R
R
I don't understand the solfege comment. Can you explain?

E
E
Yes, you can learn by yourself...I did...just remember, the only person you need to please is yourself.....if it sounds good to your ears, thats all that matters.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
You can get "ear-training" programs -- some free.

They'll give you practice in solfege (which I think we call "sight singing" in North America).

Also, there are some music teachers using Skype (and other internet software) to give lessons. You might look for one of those.

One reason for a teacher is to tell you:

. . . You're playing that wrong.

If you record your practice, you may be able to figure that out yourself. But it can be tricky, especially as the music gets harder, and the rhythms become trickier.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, you can.
And don't forget to have fun.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
D
D
Short answer - Yes you can.

For myself I resumed playing the piano after over 45 years. My experience with piano lessons was a rather painful one, my mother would punish me if I didn't learn the lesson as fast or as well as she wanted me to, so naturally when I was allowed to quit to learn the violin, I did so eagerly.

However, I decided once I was in my 50s that I needed to let go of these childhood traumas, perhaps it helps that I've had enough lessons on both the violin and guitar that the basics are firmly instilled. I've resumed the piano using the Alfred's Adult course, at my own pace and this time, I'm enjoying it.

Oh, when I started playing the piano again, my youngest sister sent me my old lesson books. I looked at the progress I made when I was 6 and thought my mother was way off base. If I had had an actual teacher like my younger sister did who knows how far I would have progressed? But the point is I'm playing now which is what really matters when all is said and done.

DAVID

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>With all we have available to us there certainly should be no reason why you could not teach yourself.

I do not agree here. Yes probably all mistakes and missteps are documented somewhere on the web but that does not really help unless you can (1) read them (at least a significant part of it) (2) put them in the right perspective. I don't believe a beginner is in the right position to do this. A teacher is there to bring the right info forward at the right time and to explain it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Guys, i thank you all so much. Great suggestions and experiences about that.

Thanks to Bill. I bought Alfred's book that he mentioned. And i already got to chords in a couple hours. I am having a great progress. I will keep going.

All your encouragements gave me a great appetite to do that alone. Maybe i will get a teacher when i really need it. Maybe i post some of my videos here. So you could play how my progression is going. It seems like , yeah , everything is doable without moving where you are with today's technology.

I learnt even Fly fishing on the web while there are no fly fishers in my country. laugh How great is that? Glad that i can speak English...

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Just one more caution for you Faith.

Your focus seems to be on how FAST you can go through things.

Be careful with that.

You may get to the end of the book and find out that you cannot play anything very well and have to start all over. It happens.

Try to take pride in playing things very well.

Make sure you play with correct timing and play musically.

Good Luck.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Without a teacher, there is a real risk of picking up bad habits that are difficult to break. A good teacher is indispensible for learning good technique.

B
B
Originally Posted by Mae L
BUT a good teacher has a lot to offer. S/he is your loyal audience who gives you positive n productive comments, your motivator, your supporter who understands what you are struggling with. A good teacher also knows what you can and can't do, and assigns you the proper pieces and exercises to work on to help you succeed.

Very true. Also, a good teacher will challenge you while making certain that you don't overextend yourself.

Currently working on: Venetian Gondola song by Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
D
D
Hi
No you cant . Find a good teacher as soon as possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission