Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
119 registered (36251, accordeur, Adypiano, A Guy, 32 invisible), 1520 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
Topic Options
#2010121 - 01/06/13 04:22 PM Recommended digital piano for church
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina, USA
I am considering buying a digital piano for our church. We already have a Steinway in the sanctuary, so this would largely be used by the "band" in our contemporary worship service and for other events in the fellowship hall. Here are some requirements:

1. Excellent piano sound and touch.
2. "Stage piano" design, so that it is somewhat portable.
3. Onboard speakers and amplification so that it can be used "standalone" when necessary.
4. Sturdy, solid build.
5. Relative ease of use. A "regular person" (think the little old lady who plays hymns) should be able to power it up and play it without knowing all of the bells and whistles.

Money is not no object. Our max budget for the piano and accessories is in the $2500 to $2700 range.

I'm not going to tell you what my current thinking is because I want to see what ideas people come up with.

Thanks in advance.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Click Here

#2010129 - 01/06/13 04:35 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
The little ole lady would be happy with a Clavinova type instrument; preferably without too many other voices. Two fellas would easily shift it without dismantling; Some of the upper range models have high on board amplification, too.

I don`t think Jesus would mind what you bought . . .but who knows, He may have something in mind . . . (I`m not being flippant, by the way!)

""

#2010159 - 01/06/13 05:29 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
There are several great stage pianos around. Try the Roland FP7F and Kawai ES7. Also if you want to go cheap there's the Yamaha P155, though I can't vouch for its onboard speakers. The Yamaha CP300 is older and heavier but it has great speakers for a piano of that type.

Console models have better speakers and there are more of them, though they tend to cost a little more. Still, most of them are pretty easy to move. On the other hand, you can toss the P155 or equivalent on your shoulder and take a walk with it. That's pretty portable.

Actually the Kawai EP3 has speakers also, I think.

Edited by gvfarns (01/06/13 06:09 PM)

#2010168 - 01/06/13 05:46 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
mrcpro Offline

Loc: PNW
I'm heavily leaning towards a PX-350 (in conjunction with a Motif ES7)for our own praise team. It's so light that I'd be able to easily carry it into one of the side rooms for vocal rehearsals.

But that's all it's internal amplification is good for - rehearsals. If your little old lady playing hymns is going to be using it stand alone for services you'd better look elsewhere.

#2010257 - 01/06/13 09:09 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
mitzysman Offline

i would steer away from casio - they are a lot better than before but I would think Yamaha would be a more safer bet.

#2010290 - 01/06/13 10:28 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
jmarch Offline

If it wasn't for the requirement of it having onboard speakers, I'd suggest the Roland RD-700NX. It feels so much like an acoustic and the sounds is excellent. It's what I just bought for (me to lug from home to) our church. : )

#2010356 - 01/07/13 01:18 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
"2. "Stage piano" design, so that it is somewhat portable.", that could limit the size/power of the on board speakers. I once went to a recital in a large Cathedral the DP used was a Yamaha CLP-240, it performed magnificently using only it's on board speakers, so much so that a crowd of the audience went down to take a look at the piano after the performance, because everyone was really impressed.

#2010371 - 01/07/13 02:18 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
bluebilly, I expect the audience were also very impressed by the pianist. wink

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2010402 - 01/07/13 04:21 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
maurus Offline
500 Post Club Member

With onboard speakers, and as stage pianos, the present choices are basically what gvfarns said: Yamaha p155, cp300, Kawai es7, Roland fp7f. Choose your poison. In terms of durability, as well as in terms of good speakers, I'd expect the CP300 to be the most solid one (but I might be wrong). In terms of sound, they are very different, so you should make a choice yourself.

#2010582 - 01/07/13 12:56 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
I had a thought (always dangerous!):

. . . Why not buy two keyboards? One for "piano" with weighted keyboard,
. . . one for "organ" ?

The Casio WK-7500 has 50 pre-set "drawbar organ" voices, and costs about $500. [It can also sound like anything else you'd want to simulate.] It's _not_ a good piano substitute -- spring-loaded keyboard.

Several choices in the "digi-piano" market -- Casio PX-150/PX-350, Yamaha P155, etc -- would be reasonable purchases.

I think you'd be within budget, buying the pair.

. Charles

Edited by Charles Cohen (01/07/13 12:58 PM)

#2010875 - 01/07/13 09:54 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
My brother uses a Yamaha P-70 for his church, and they've been pretty happy with it. Wouldn't a Yamaha P-105 work too -- why only P-155 above?

#2010905 - 01/07/13 10:54 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
mileojule Offline

Two fellas would easily shift it without dismantling

#2010955 - 01/08/13 02:07 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
Tyruke Offline

Loc: Anaheim, California, USA
In the main sanctuary of my church we have a Yamaha CP-300. The service I play for is in a different building, so I do not regularly play this keyboard, but I've played on it a few times and it felt and sounded wonderful to me, and was easy to use.

On more difficult songs, we have our choir director play the piano for us. She is a classical piano teacher, and professor at a local Christian university, and I have yet to hear her complain or mention any negatives about playing the CP-300. And for what it's worth, every time she does play it sounds wonderful to my ears, and it does not seem like she has any trouble operating the keyboard at all.

#2011170 - 01/08/13 12:35 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: xorbe]
Charles Cohen Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: xorbe
My brother uses a Yamaha P-70 for his church, and they've been pretty happy with it. Wouldn't a Yamaha P-105 work too -- why only P-155 above?

I tried out both the P105 and the P155. I preferred the keyboard of the P155 -- it was an "Ahhh - like a real piano!" moment. I wouldn't have bought the P105. The P155 is easily within the OP's budget.

Somebody else might have a different reaction. The P155 is getting old; maybe wait till NAMM, and buy its replacement.

. Charles

PS -- I see that "organ sounds" is not in the OP's requirement. I withdraw my "synth + digipiano" suggestion.

#2011320 - 01/08/13 04:45 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

I don't want to cut off discussion, but I did some looking (and playing) around and decided that on balance the Roland FP-7F is the route to go. I was extremely impressed with the piano sound and the keyboard action, and the young fellow who plays in the "praise band" highly recommended it.

The onboard amplification is admittedly a little weak, but it will generally be connected to the PA system. I am probably going to supplement the gift with a slightly used Roland KC-350 amp, which will put out plenty of sound. It could be used for things like the sunrise Easter service, which is held on the front steps of the church. The preachers' microphone could be plugged directly into the amp, alleviating the need for an additional PA system.

#2011358 - 01/08/13 05:29 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
simonznh Offline

At our church, I setup a Kawai MP6 (stage piano) with a QSC K12 (power amplified) speaker. We only use the MP6 pipe organ sounds, but the MP6 has acceptable piano sounds if needed.

The sound of this system is excellent and a great improvement over the 1970s living-room electric organs that we had before.

This arrangement doesn't have internal speakers, but a small external speaker setup could be added at low cost.

In addition, the Kawai MP6 can be used as a MIDI controller, so more sophisticated sampled pianos and organs can be played using a Mac or PC.

I believe the MP6 with the QSC K12 speaker would fit within your budget.

#2011663 - 01/09/13 11:08 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: simonznh]
wdot Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: simonznh
At our church, I setup a Kawai MP6 (stage piano) with a QSC K12 (power amplified) speaker. We only use the MP6 pipe organ sounds, but the MP6 has acceptable piano sounds if needed.

The sound of this system is excellent and a great improvement over the 1970s living-room electric organs that we had before.

This arrangement doesn't have internal speakers, but a small external speaker setup could be added at low cost.

In addition, the Kawai MP6 can be used as a MIDI controller, so more sophisticated sampled pianos and organs can be played using a Mac or PC.

I believe the MP6 with the QSC K12 speaker would fit within your budget.

Thanks. We have a large pipe organ and a Steinway B in our main sanctuary (it's a very big church, both physically and in membership). This will primarily be used as a "gig" instrument for the "praise band" that plays for our contemporary worship service that meets in the fellowship hall, a converted gym.

#2011763 - 01/09/13 03:34 PM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: wdot]
Bane Offline

Loc: USA
It depends on your style of worship, but at our church we have a Baldwin grand for the lead and a Roland (SX I believe) for synth pad accompaniment. The Roland feels nice to me, great keyboard space and key weight is perfect. Its piano sounds don't thrill me though.

Edited by Bane (01/09/13 03:35 PM)

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)

#2012031 - 01/10/13 01:50 AM Re: Recommended digital piano for church [Re: Kawai James]
bluebilly Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Kawai James
bluebilly, I expect the audience were also very impressed by the pianist. wink

James
x

True James, however he was a typical conservatoire student, performance great, content boring. grin

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advise and Feedback on Online Piano Lessons
by [w]
9 minutes 12 seconds ago
Anyone have a burglar step on his grand piano?
by swampwiz
23 minutes 17 seconds ago
Casio px-150
by Eddyaknow
Today at 05:50 PM
Advice for a returner
by tried42long
Today at 03:40 PM
Humidity and condensation
by Phil Greenough
Today at 03:37 PM
Forum Stats
76999 Members
42 Forums
159253 Topics
2339416 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission