Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2011009 - 01/08/13 05:52 AM How do you listen to Pianos.....
Adro Offline

Loc: Northants UK
In my case I play a DP and rarely hear an Acoustic Piano live, in the same room without amplification and delivery through speakers.

I can honestly say that it's been years since I attended a live recital played on a really good instrument.

I generally listen to music through a digital Hi Fi system or headphones on an MP3 player. This means that I'm listeneing to music produced by a processor, amp and speakers doesn't it? I guess this means I may have lost touch with what a Piano really sounds (and feels) like when your actually playing or sitting close to it.

How about you?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2011022 - 01/08/13 06:53 AM Re: How do you listen to Pianos..... [Re: Adro]
Hookxs Offline

Loc: Czech Republic
I have access to an acoustic piano, but for convenience mostly play DP and listen to recorings, like you. Countless times have I heard recordings of splendid performances of Rachmaninoff's C# prelude, but I remember that when I stroke the first few chord on an acoustic, with my unskilled hands and sight reading the music, I for the first time felt that "this is it". And it's not that this piece is any special. So yes, the difference is there and though you probably won't forget what piano sounds like, you may forget what it feels like?

#2011035 - 01/08/13 07:39 AM Re: How do you listen to Pianos..... [Re: Adro]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I attend classical piano recitals frequently, ranging from student recitals in small rooms where I'm sitting just a few feet from the concert grand - which have always been prepped and tuned just before - and can hear the clicking of fingernails on the keys grin (usually male rather than female pianists), to 3000-seat concert halls where I'm usually in my favorite seat about 30 feet from the stage on the keyboard side. And in case anyone doesn't know, all classical concerts are unmiked and unamplified (except on rare occasions like open-air stadiums). What you hear is just the sound of the piano and the acoustics interacting with it. And that's what I want from my DP too.

I do get the feeling when reading through some people's posts here that some posters prefer an idealised, artificial 'piano sound' which doesn't occur in reality, because they're so used to hearing clinically clear DP sounds devoid of resonances, ambience, and natural interaction between vibrating strings twanging and decaying slowly, bouncing off other strings, the lid, cabinet and soundboard - all of which combine to produce a rather 'muddy' (but natural) sound by DP standards. Which is fine if you're used to, and prefer electronic sounds as from pop music etc, but it isn't actually real.

#2011046 - 01/08/13 08:06 AM Re: How do you listen to Pianos..... [Re: Adro]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
It`s always going to depend on whether you get the pricey seats at the front, or the cheap ones at the back. (classical concerts)
The back seats give the better sound.

But if your sat next to a jazzman in full flight on a semidecent pub acoustic, (with a pint on top) it sounds good . . .if he knows what he`s doin of course . . . the woodiness comes through. Intermixing with the smell of stale beer . . . it`s a man`s world in there! (ladies most welcome!)

""

#2011054 - 01/08/13 08:22 AM Re: How do you listen to Pianos..... [Re: Adro]
Adro Offline

Loc: Northants UK
Nice one Peterws. There's something about the juxtaposition of Pub and DP that doesn't feel right. Perhaps it's 'cause they're not beer proof.

Having said that bennevis has a great point and I think I'm one of those who has come to like the clean sound of DP's (albeit with good symp res etc) versus a lot of acoustics that don't have the regular attention and prep that concert instruments do.

I remember some years ago trying an acoustic that had been returned from rental (Yamaha U1) and it just sounded noisy in an ugly kind of way. Sort of gave me the feeling that the whole fabric of the thing was falling apart. I guess it would have sounded a lot better once tuned and regulated, but that was scary. Having it at home in that condition would have felt like a having a big hairy monster that could jump out at me anythime.

#2011064 - 01/08/13 08:34 AM Re: How do you listen to Pianos..... [Re: peterws]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: peterws
It`s always going to depend on whether you get the pricey seats at the front, or the cheap ones at the back. (classical concerts)
The back seats give the better sound.

But if your sat next to a jazzman in full flight on a semidecent pub acoustic, (with a pint on top) it sounds good . . .if he knows what he`s doin of course . . . the woodiness comes through. Intermixing with the smell of stale beer . . . it`s a man`s world in there! (ladies most welcome!)

My one and only attendance at a jazz gig (at no less than Ronnie Scott's in London) was unforgettable for all the wrong reasons. No, it wasn't the smell of stale beer. Noone had advised me to bring ear plugs, and I sat with my jazz-mad friends at a table about 8m away from the musicians. The drummer/percussionist appeared to think he was the star, and overpowered the poor piano player at every opportunity (which was basically every second....) and even the trumpeter hardly got a look-in. The decibels made my ears ring for the next 24 hours, even though I had to call it quits after some 20 minutes of that onslaught, and left for the sanctuary of the traffic noise outside. I don't remember whether the pianist was miked on his acoustic grand, but maybe if he'd played on an amplified DP, he might just have made himself heard.

But everyone else there appeared to enjoy the show, so maybe it's just me who think that those people on the stage have never listened to themselves...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, alans, accordeur, Abby Pianoman, a-z0-9, 38 invisible), 1456 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296270 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
08/01/14 11:16 PM
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
08/01/14 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
08/01/14 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
08/01/14 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
08/01/14 04:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission