2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,895 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
C
Yes, you can learn without a teacher but don't expect to go too far... I thank god my house wasn't build by a self taught architect smile

Only the OP can know if he needs a teacher. The need for a teacher has a lot to do with desired goals, and individual abilities, aptitude, and resourcefulness. If one desires to be an accomplished concert pianist, trying to go without a teacher might be an challenge. If one wants to play some pop/rock/dance/whatever, and really does not care if aspects of his playing are consistent with strict classical guidelines, then no, a teacher is not necessary to learn. Everyone has different needs. The OP should know in his heart if he needs a teacher or not.

My musical teachers were always the great composers of the music I am playing and the many artists performed it.

In the last 50 ys. you have the most valuable feedback previously not possible: records of own playing. With digital pianos it is even easier. I am far from being a professional player but am able to improve. I am 55, restarted for some 6 ys after a break of good 35 ys. Playing now ca. half of J.S.Bach's keyboard music (WTC, suites, etc.).

N
N
It sounds like the original poster is in the same position I was 3 years ago. I was around 22, had enough money for a keyboard, decided it was time to start learning how to play. I too purchased Alfred's adult course and wanted to try going it on my own. You'll certainly be able to play the pieces in Alfred's and it'll feel good to work through them knowing you're improving. The thing that you need to watch out for, that I didn't pay enough attention to, is that you're actually playing whats written in the book and not just what sounds 'right'.

A few months ago after learning my first peice not in Alfred's (there was a long break in there, I haven't been playing for 3 years straight) I decided to get a teacher. We decided to start about half way into Alfred's to get a feel for where I was at. I thought this would be easy since I'd been working through Alfred's already. So I practiced the few assigned peices and went in expecting to do great. Indeed, what I played sounded fine to me. It sounded fine to my teacher to. Then she started pointing things out - I'd added a note there, I'd changed the rhythm here, things like that. It didn't make the peice sound wrong it just wasn't right. This bothered me first because I thought I was working through the Alfred's peices to learn the skills and techniques I'd need to play advanced peieces, not just to learn simple versions of Jingle Bells and Greensleaves. In fact it was the reverse - I'd been learning simple versions of Jingle Bells and Greensleaves and brushing past the techniques unintentionally. Secondly, I wasn't even aware I wasnt playing what was written. The most recent example of this is Hanon's 6th. I thought "oh, this is easy" and played the pattern up the octave then down the octave. Then I played it in lesson and found out when you get to the top of the octave the pattern's a little different, and when you get to the end it's a little different to. I hadn't been aware because I wasn't reading the music I was just following the pattern that sounded right.

Recording my playing might have helped, but probably not. It's really helped having a teacher point out my mistakes once a week so I know exactly what to focus on moving forward. Esspcially with fingering, lots of times I'll make up my own and when the teacher forces me to do it correctly it's always ended up being much easier.

It's very true what you'll read about self teaching - you can do it but it's going to be slower than with a teacher. With a teacher I'm working through the book slower, but I feel like I'm learning piano quicker.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Like Norrec exemplified, without a teacher you need to be extremely careful and literally 'keep an ear out', listen to other people play (not just newbies but real pianists) on YouTube, have somebody listen to you playing, record yourself, even take videos of yourself to check your position, etc. Ironically, I think to learn an instrument by yourself you need to have a decent ear before you even start. Or to do some ear training.

Personally, right now I wouldn't want the stress of having to prepare for lessons and perform in front of the teacher. I just want to have fun and I don't care if I won't be able to play difficult classical pieces any time soon. I'm self-disciplined enough to practice every day without teachers or exams. Better, I like it enough to do it anyway. I think having a teacher would make me like it less - but that's just me!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Personally, right now I wouldn't want the stress of having to prepare for lessons and perform in front of the teacher.

This is always one of the issues associated with taking lessons. If the student could get over the idea that a lesson is like a "test" or a "performance" then it would not be as stressful.

One should view a lesson as simply an opportunity for the teacher to observe the student playing the piano and make suggestions based on those observations. Then the student works on things for a period of time and they get together and see how it is going ... then, more observations and more suggestions.

I like to space my lessons out for longer periods of time. That is because, first ... they are expensive ... and second, I have been playing for awhile and can work on various things on my own. I just need the instructor to insure that I am moving in the right direction.

However, if they were not so expensive, I would have a teacher more often. It couldn't hurt.

When I have my lesson, I try not to feel like I am showing the teacher "how good I am". Instead, just play things like I normally do as best I can and let the chips fall where they may.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Guys , i thank you all so much. I will tell you something good. After reading all your comments , most of which were saying that i should get a teacher, i found a teacher today.

He came to my house and i had a fantastic lesson. You were right guys... It's necessary to work with someone who knows how to do it.

And there is 1 thing that no one mentioned here: When you have a good teacher, besides all things he teach you, he will encourage you to work hard like a cheerleader. Right now i am practicing crazily, to impress my teacher next week smile .

I thank you all again...

N
N
Congrats on finding a teacher Faith, I don't think you'll regret your decision and I wish you all the best with your piano journey.

Neil.

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission