Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2011216 - 01/08/13 02:21 PM Trying a new teacher...
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
On Thursday I'm going to have a try out lesson with a new teacher here (she's new to our area.) I know that she taught in BC before moving here, teaches primarily adults but does teach some children, is open to whatever type of music I want to learn (or method,) and has a studio in her home with a Grand!

She offers either 4 lessons a month or 2 a month (I took the 2 because it's all I can afford.) Each lesson is 30 minutes long.

I'm to bring all the books I've been working on to show her what I'm doing where, where I'm at and what I need help with.

I also wrote out a general goals list for her to get an idea of what I'm trying to achieve. (I have stuff like, to play with other musicians, styles of music, learn to improvise on it.)

So other than being on time, bringing my books and my goals list, is there anything else I should bring or prepare? I'm really excited and nervous. Been counting down the days all week! LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2011218 - 01/08/13 02:29 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Sounds exciting, Becca! I look forward to hearing how it goes. The only other thing I can think of is that you may want to have one well-learned piece identified ahead of time that you would feel comfortable playing for her if she should ask.

#2011222 - 01/08/13 02:31 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
BC to Thunder Bay - thats quite a move! Where in BC was she from?

#2011260 - 01/08/13 03:48 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
I'm happy for you, Becca. Let us know how it goes.

My website

#2011268 - 01/08/13 03:53 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: BeccaBb

So other than being on time, bringing my books and my goals list, is there anything else I should bring

Bring your swing !

#2011280 - 01/08/13 04:16 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I believe she came from Vancouver but don't quote me on that!

I think I'm supposed to play a bit of each book that I bring. Some is near performance level and some isn't. Really I want her to catch all my problem areas! Most of which are physical. smile So hopefully that will work, just playing where I'm at!

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I will update after the lesson.. Two days is so far away! LOL

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011281 - 01/08/13 04:18 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
BeccaBb, what happened to your previous teacher? (I thought you had a previous teacher?)

#2011288 - 01/08/13 04:23 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had a teacher last spring who took my money and I never heard from him again after less then two months of lessons. Then right before Christmas, Bluoh offered a few free online lessons. I had two of those with her, which were wonderful, but am unable to continue due to finances.

Taking lessons with Bluoh helped me realize I really need help with the physical aspects (hand position, movement, stress in the body.) I seen the add for this teacher right after that and she offers minimal lessons that I can afford. smile So here I am. I did speak with her on the phone first to get an idea of what she's about. She knows that my physical aspects need work.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011336 - 01/08/13 04:55 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
BeccaBb, I hope things work out swimmingly well with this new teacher.

#2011351 - 01/08/13 05:20 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Becca,

I hope it works out with the new teacher. It sounds like you are prepared to show her where your playing level is at the moment.

Have you thought about things to ask about her? Maybe what kind of music SHE likes, which can give you insight to the approach she might take. Or maybe what kind of structure can you expect...ie mix of pieces, vs. technical exercises, scales, etc. With just a half hour every two weeks it is going to be important to really laser in on your most important needs during those 30 minutes.

Good luck. Realizing you need a teacher is half the battle and a really positive step for you.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2011366 - 01/08/13 05:45 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oooh I have not thought about what to ask! I did ask a lot of questions on the phone. She's familiar with all of the methods I'm using and the styles I like. Beyond that, not sure..

What are good questions? Lol

Thanks for the good wishes! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011368 - 01/08/13 05:49 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I'm not sure what to suggest - but GOOD LUCK!
It sounds like you are well organized and are getting some good ideas from the others here.

It is very exciting to start off with a new teacher - you'll get a whole new perspective.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

#2011383 - 01/08/13 06:41 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hey Becca, wish I had some useful advice for you, so all I can do is wish you good luck and I hope it works out the way you want.

I will add, it will probably be quite nerve wracking and a little stressful to play in front of a new teacher, so my advice is to try and relax (easier said than done, I know), and remember the teacher is there to see your faults as well as your merits, so don't feel you have to impress. I'm sure you know this already.

Best wishes,

Neil.
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#2011437 - 01/08/13 09:05 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations. I would make it abundantly clear (even explicitly saying it wouldn't hurt) that you're not simply in it to learn a few, easy pieces and that you're willing to invest the time necessary working hard to not only learn to play piano, but also to eventually be self-sufficient in your learning.

Keystring herself is an experienced teacher and recommends just this.

#2011439 - 01/08/13 09:08 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Bring your heart!

#2011445 - 01/08/13 09:14 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: Bobpickle]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations.

Hmm, I've met a lot (90%+?) of the adult students at my teacher's studio and not a single one is like that. I'm not saying there aren't but I'm pretty positive that adult students are, in general, more motivated than the majority of the kids.

BeccaBb - I think being comfortable with the teacher is one of the key things. I wouldn't worry about questions too much ... see where the conversation goes.

Kawai K3

#2011447 - 01/08/13 09:17 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
rocket88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I wish you the best, Becca!

The only thing I can add is that 30 minutes is a very short time frame for the first lesson, way too short in my experience to get to mutually know a bit about each other, share goals, play some pieces, look at books, come up with the beginnings of a study plan, and actually teach a thing or two, and have you practice for a bit that teaching.

I always schedule 45 minutes to an hour for the first lesson, (but only charge them for 30 minutes,) and even then that longer time flies by way too fast.

I hate to rain on your parade, but if her standard way of doing lessons is to only allow 30 minutes for the very first lesson, that would be a caution flag to me. Not a red flag, but somewhat troubling. Especially since she won't see you next for two weeks.

I am hoping that she has a bit more time for this first lesson.

#2011516 - 01/09/13 01:02 AM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: Andy Platt]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
The fact that she teaches primarily adults may indicate that she's used to students who are fairly lazy and that have unrealistic expectations.

Hmm, I've met a lot (90%+?) of the adult students at my teacher's studio and not a single one is like that. I'm not saying there aren't but I'm pretty positive that adult students are, in general, more motivated than the majority of the kids.

Yeah, sorry, maybe I came off wrong. I'd agree that most are more motivated than children - this is apparent in their willful choice to pick up an instrument - but meant to simply emphasize the point of unrealistic expectations (at least at first) and the unexpected amount of work necessary to reach their goals as well as the process.

#2011521 - 01/09/13 01:29 AM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
BeccaBb - good luck with your new teacher. Sometimes change is good.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2011522 - 01/09/13 01:32 AM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Rocket has alluded to something important, which is that paid lessons are commencing here without any sort of initial get-acquainted session or audition. That's not necessarily a red flag, but perhaps pink. It's certainly not the way I would ever take on a student, and it suggests a teacher who is more driven by money than by the educational process.

But Becca, forget our words of caution. Your half-hour lesson will fly by. You'll be somewhwat intimidated by this new teacher - hopefully not too much - but you'll probably have a good time and come away invigorated.

We'll await your report on how it goes!

#2011532 - 01/09/13 02:24 AM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
UK Paul UK Offline

Loc: Berkshire, England
Hi Becca,

I am waiting till my first lesson with a new tea cher next tuesday. Didnt get on with my last one, she was too 'nice' and didnt know how to properly explain anything.... i was paying money for teaching us both lol....

My new teacher is a friends dad, similar situation with own studio with a grand yamaha plus an upright of some sort.... been after lessons for a couple of years but he always has been fully booked... now i can get half hour a week, not cheap though so i will have to quit smoking haha...

Because i can only get half hour a week, i know it will go really fast... but it will be intense. Concentration for half hour and using it effectively will be fine i think.... i have written down my goals(grades plus teaching when i cant be bothered with my normal job anymore, fantacy impromptu ect),
things i have worked on , areas i need help on.... (posture, tension, sight reading, pracice structure, playing quiet, keystroke...) and i figure after all that i will leave it up to him to figure out the rest....

Good luck with it all...

Big hugs :-)

#2011703 - 01/09/13 01:19 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Brian Lucas Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's great! Don't worry too much about what to bring. I'm sure the teacher just wants to get a sense of where you are now. Total beginners are easy, since they're starting from scratch. When I teach students who aren't beginners, it's a little more work to figure out what they already know, good or bad.

Also feel free to ask about the teacher's approach. After you've played, you can have her tell you what she's observed and lay out a plan of action. If it sounds good to you, go for it! Good luck!
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

#2011731 - 01/09/13 02:23 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks everyone! The first two lessons will both be checking each other out and seeing my skill level etc.. I'm not too worried about it taking up more then one lesson. I'm also only booked for one month right now. After that we will reevaluate and see if I'm staying or going. smile I also will not be surprised if we go over the time limit tomorrow.

Just to avoid further confusion, I did speak with her at length on the phone. We went over my history with piano, piano teachers, where I'm at, what I'm doing, what I know I need help with, what I'm looking for, general goals, my issues with body placement and movements, her past teaching, what and who she teaches, where she teaches and the need for flexibility on both our parts. I also emphasized on the phone that I want to acquire the skills to play properly and am willing to do the hard work needed.

Tonight my hubby and I are going to take a drive and find her house so I'm not in panic mode tomorrow trying to figure out exactly where it is (it's not far from here but I get panicky quickly when finding new places. lol)

24 more hours! Ugh. LOL I will keep everything everyone has said in mind and watch for flags (really hoping there won't be an issue.) I'm looking forward to someone having an actual plan of action. I think a big part of my issue is I feel really lost. What to move forward on, what to hold back, what should I jump to or what skills need extra help. I have no idea and can only plod along in the method books hoping I'm making ground. I think I'm at the point where a book just doesn't cut it right now.

Paul: You getting ansy yet? LOL Good luck to you too! Let us know how it goes next week! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2011748 - 01/09/13 03:05 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
JF Playing Offline

Loc: Calgary/Canada
Hello Becca,

I am in Calgary and having my first class on Saturday! smile Looking forward to it and I shamefully copied some of your ideas on things to ask my teacher. I am also going to see him for 30 Min, but in my case, it will be every weeks... So no room for slacking off... :-)

I wish you all the best and please let us know how it went.

Cheers!

I am also using Alfred's method.

#2011753 - 01/09/13 03:14 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
UK Paul UK Offline

@becca

I'm pretty excited! I went to another tutor last weekend, but the piano was his second instrument as he has a thirty year violin career.... his piano was awful, an ebay special and although he was intense and could help for the next few years... it was only after the session i decided to have another attempt at getting with nic cope.... i have shared many a drinking session with his son so i used the friendship card and happily it worked out this time!

This is another step on our adventures my dear, hopefully within the month we will both be happily 'under the wing' of worthwhile teachers....

Good luck for tomorrow!! :-)

#2012695 - 01/11/13 10:03 AM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Becca, for heaven's sake, we're waiting (scattered all around the globe, no less) to hear about those 30 minutes yesterday!

#2012896 - 01/11/13 03:12 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
neildradford Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
How'd it go, how'd it go??
(Fingers crossed it went great)
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford

#2012908 - 01/11/13 03:33 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
UK Paul UK Offline

Typical.. . We get all excited and the lady makes us wait..

#2012978 - 01/11/13 05:37 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry guys! I also started at a new job (actually my old job) yesterday hence why you didn't hear from me! I worked from 8am to 12 pm!

It went really well.. I played a few things for her. We talked about how to figure out how to give myself more room (I squish myself too close.) We discussed my huge amount of books I'm using. She will get me sorted out as we go on those. She checked out my composition and made me play it. LOL. So now I have to learn my own tune! I showed her my goals so that she can help form a plan for me. We still have to go through a lot of my skills to see where I'm at. Um... She's going to teach me a new song that we are going to duet on so I can begin to learn skills to be able to play with others. I have TONS of homework! smile

I really liked her. I wasn't very nervous playing for after the first song. She's going to help me get a repetoire because I have none! She's also going to help me get moving more fast (I play slow all the time) and get me to play louder (I play very softly so try to get pp out of piano when you already play at that level for starters! LOL)

I was there for almost 45 minutes and because I'm working again I'm going to full time! Four times a month. I'm very happy so far. smile

Oddly her grand (it's a baby grand Yamaha) felt very squishy to play. My Roland keys go down farther than on her grand also. Other than that I didn't notice a difference between the two. So at least I know I shouldn't have many problems switching between the two.

So sorry for making you guys wait! I just got off work and have a few! smile

What makes keys feel like they squish down btw?

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#2012987 - 01/11/13 05:43 PM Re: Trying a new teacher... [Re: BeccaBb]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Way to go!
Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question on Dampp Chaser installation
by electone2007
Today at 02:56 AM
Help to choose between upright Yamaha JU109 & Ritmuller110r2
by yurana
Today at 02:01 AM
I've got it! Who remembers that Steinway O project?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 01:29 AM
A study of the practice behaviors of effective pianists
by lyricmudra
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Ease of play - Yamaha p35 or p105
by DeadPoets
Yesterday at 10:37 PM
Who's Online
55 registered (AZNpiano, Al LaPorte, barbaram, adrpiano, AtomicBond, Baroque Style, 10 invisible), 1045 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76399 Members
42 Forums
157943 Topics
2319492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission