2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hi,

I am starting Jazz school next month and need to upgrade from my old Yamaha DGX630. I am deciding between the Yamaha P155 and the Yamaha CP50. I really need something more portable than my DGX and more suited to live situations.

So between the P155 and the CP50 which one should I go for? I know they both have the same action (dont they?) but sound wise what is better. I REALLY want and need just a few good piano sounds and EP sounds and maybe a jazz organ. I dont need all the drum kits etc that the CP50 has but are its tones better than the P155? Is it worth paying more for the CP50 for better sounds or are they the same. Also i like the fact that the CP50 has an EQ right on it, but could i just buy an EQ pedal for the P155? also the P155 has a metronome and transposition which is VERY useful.

PLEASE HELP and give all opinions

Thanks smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
How will you amplify your piano? P155 has onboard speakers, CP50 doesn't. As far as I know the actions are indeed the same (quite good, actually). CP50 will be more suited for live performances. I don't think the main piano sound will be much different, but the CP50 offers more variability. Hence, if onboard speakers don't matter to you, I'd probably prefer the CP50 - given your choice.

F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I will either plug straight into the venue's PA or use my amp. The onboard speakers wouldnt matter in live situations but I'm so used to being able to sit down, turn the board on and play, like the DGX, so the P155's speakers would be good for practice. But is it worth the extra $700 for more variability? thanks for the reply smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
CP50. You will feel more satisfied with the result (particularly with dynamics).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
To be honest, I think this is a two part question:

- DP with a very good keyboard action for studying Jazz piano playing at a high level.
- DP that is lightweight and portable, and suitable for gigging.

Assuming your studies take priority, I would favour a Roland or Kawai instrument over either Yamaha, based largely on their superior keyboard action,practising at an advanced level.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Are you looking at these 2 because of price point or just because you're a fan of Yamaha only? For the same money as the CP50, I would take a serious look at the MP6 which IMHO plays and sounds better than both the CP50/P155. The P155 sounds dated and lifeless. The CP50 action plays like mud and has the classic Yamaha sterile DP tone. It's just not that expressive. There was a time I considered the CP50 before I got my Nord because one thing Yamaha DPs do well is cut through a live mix. They work well for gigging musicians from a tonality POV. I owned an AvantGrand N1 for about 18 months, and while it was an excellent practice tool, with headphones on, it didn't sound appreciably better or different than my old CP300. Same basic tone overall. Through it's built in speakers it sounded great, however.

Roland has some great playing and sounding keyboards, namely the FP-7F and RD-700NX (I think the Ivory Feel-G action in the FP-4F/RD-300NX is sluggish feeling). But, neither are that light, and the SuperNATURAL sound just doesn't cut it live (no pun intended). I would try and find an MP6, that will be the tough part. I really think the RH action on that is superior to the actions in the boards you are looking at and the tone to me is for sure better than the P155 and to my ears, much more pleasant and alive than the CP50.

All of this is my 2 cents worth exactly what you paid for it. smile

Last edited by PianoZac; 01/08/13 01:20 AM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
thanks for your reply smile I just took a look at the mp6 and some samples and it does sound great as well as looks great. I can get it for $1500 online, is it worth it? I have always been a fan of yamaha, but maybe its time for a change...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
CP33 ... $999.

To be honest, studying 'jazz' piano technically is no different from studying any other styles of playing. It wouldn't hurt to spend a fair amount of time on acoustic grands ... really good grands.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
could you give me your reasons for the cp33? I will be playing on acoustic grands at the school as every practice room has one, but i'll use the board for practice at my flat and at gigs etc

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Franga
could you give me your reasons for the cp33? I will be playing on acoustic grands at the school as every practice room has one, but i'll use the board for practice at my flat and at gigs etc

It has the same action as the CP300 which is the best action from an electric piano that I've played. I own the CP5; the CP33 and CP300 have a better action than my CP5.

Even though the CP33 was introduced in May 2006, it is still a very solid stage piano. It's a perfect size and weighs 18 kg\40 lbs.

The CP50, the little brother of the CP1 and CP5, uses an external power supply. To be honest, whenever I see an external power supply on a keyboard I always look at it as being less than professional.

Last edited by Dave Horne; 01/08/13 09:40 PM. Reason: clarity

F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
thanks for that smile would you say that the acoustic pianos and EP sounds are just as good as the cp50? becuase that is my main concern. also would you recommend the cp33 over the Kawai MP6? thanks.

B
B
You will feel more satisfied with the result [Linked Image][Linked Image]

bulad scot
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Franga
thanks for that smile would you say that the acoustic pianos and EP sounds are just as good as the cp50? becuase that is my main concern. also would you recommend the cp33 over the Kawai MP6? thanks.

The one piece of advice that is given over and over ... and for good reason, play the keyboards in question.

Almost every keyboard I've played has issues. You have to play the keyboard(s) for yourself.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

The one piece of advice that is given over and over ... and for good reason, play the keyboards in question.

Almost every keyboard I've played has issues. You have to play the keyboard(s) for yourself.

+1.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
O
O
are you going to Jazz school for more than 1 year? What Im getting at is...is this a four year college and your majoring in Jazz or is this like a 6 month Jazz school or a two year deal. If this is a 4 year Jazz school (college) then I would heartily second Kawai James on his recommendations of a Roland or Kawai, maybe even a nice kurzweil if you can find a used in exceelent condition k2500, other than that, for a long term jazz commitment and for a serious player Id go the "do it right the first time" route and get an mp6, mp10, rd700gx or rd700nx all day every day over anything else, used in excellent condition will run you between 1200 and 2k for these. Best of luck in your hunt.

F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
yes it is a 4 year course and I'd like to get a board i can rely on. The MP6 may be the one...

thanks for everyone's help smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission